• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny The Taken King starring Bungie with special guest appearance by Game Informer

Mass One

Year One players get roughly the same deal as new players -- pay $20 for extra stuff, or skip it and save the money.

I don't think that's necessarily true? New players, money wise, have the advantage. The the Legendary edition is 60$ and $135 is the digital+season pass holders+TKK and $165 with emotes if that's your thing.

And if you have GCU then it's just 7 extra bucks to buy a physical copy with everything vs just the digital TTK.

I don't think that's necessarily true? New players, money wise, have the advantage. The the Legendary edition is 60$ and $135 is the digital+season pass holders+TKK and $165 with emotes if that's your thing.

And if you have GCU then it's just 7 extra bucks to buy a physical copy with everything vs just the digital TTK.

Destiny is a constantly evolving franchise that requires a monetary input every so often. This is part of the business model. You pay for first access so to speak.

You might say those of us from the beginning are getting screwed financially, but most of us don't feel that way because we enjoyed playing what we had this whole time. This coming from someone who has dropped 1200+ hours into the game.

It's like, imagine waiting to buy your favorite movie after it's been out on DvD for a year and it's in the $5 bin. Sure you're saving money, but you didn't get the theatrical experience. You probably heard people talk about plot lines and you've pieced together the story in ways. After you watch your $5 version you don't really have anyone to talk about it with or share your opinions with because they've moved on to the next thing.

border

Games lose value over time though. People who wait for sales and discounts on old merchandise will always have some monetary advantage. Should Activision to charge $135 for TTK Legendary Edition, even though most of it content is 9-12 months old? TTK LE is effectively a $20 Game of the Year edition bundled with new material.

When I can rent a movie and RedBox for $1.50, I don't usually think "Man the people who went to see this in the theatre are getting screwed!"

I wish they would put the Bungie accounts to good use and be able to cross platform character profiles. I would probably double dip because I have a lot more friends playing the Xbox One version now than when the game launched. I went PS4 because it was the platform to get it for. I've met great people on the game but I would like to play with real life friends on the other console.

I wish they would put the Bungie accounts to good use and be able to cross platform character profiles. I would probably double dip because I have a lot more friends playing the Xbox One version now than when the game launched. I went PS4 because it was the platform to get it for. I've met great people on the game but I would like to play with real life friends on the other console.

This isn't a Bungie thing. Bungie has the components necessary on their side of things to make everything universal.

This is a Microsoft thing. Microsoft doesn't like their potatoes to touch Sony's corn on the same plate.

If Microsoft ever gave the go ahead, Bungie would be able to allow players to jump back and forth with no effort the same way they jump back and forth between last gen and current gen.

kiguel182

This isn't a Bungie thing. Bungie has the components necessary on their side of things to make everything universal.

This is a Microsoft thing. Microsoft doesn't like their potatoes to touch Sony's corn on the same plate.

If Microsoft ever gave the go ahead, Bungie would be able to allow players to jump back and forth with no effort the same way they jump back and forth between last gen and current gen.

Or even cross-platform play. That would be great too.

where is there evidence its just an MS thing?

360>x1 works
ps3>ps4 works

cross platform works for neither.

I have this issue too. I double-dipped at launch, but I don't want to buy every expansion twice.

I wish I could transfer (would even pay for it, WoW style) my warlock to my Xbox account.

So I currently have a physical copy of vanilla destiny and the two expansions. I'm gonna get Taken King but would love to go all digital as I now prefer having all my games on the HD and not worrying about swapping.

If I want taken king and the bonus goodies which should I get?

Or even cross-platform play. That would be great too.

where is there evidence its just an MS thing?

360>x1 works
ps3>ps4 works

cross platform works for neither.

Cross-gen isn't an option because older gen's are at a disadvantage for things like Draw Distance. If you were to play Crucible on a last gen system, you would be a disadvantage since you couldn't see as far, and render distance isn't as far. It wouldn't be fair.

If Fyrewulff is floating around here somewhere he could probably talk about the source for the MS being inclusive stuff. He knows a lot more about it than I do. I do know it's been a policy of MS for a while. Off the top of my head I know Portal 2 could be played cross-platform with PS3 and PC players playing together. MS wasn't a fan and didn't allow the option on their machine.

JTripper

So I currently have a physical copy of vanilla destiny and the two expansions. I'm gonna get Taken King but would love to go all digital as I now prefer having all my games on the HD and not worrying about swapping.

If I want taken king and the bonus goodies which should I get?

If by "bonus goodies" you mean exclusive shaders and emotes and stuff, you're gonna have to either get the legendary edition for $60 (which is physical, on release day), or just pre-order the standalone $40 Taken King and wait for the $20 pack with the exclusive stuff to arrive.

Or you can go nuts and get it all for $80 now, digitally.

Mass One

Games lose value over time though. People who wait for sales and discounts on old merchandise will always have some monetary advantage. Should Activision to charge $135 for TTK Legendary Edition, even though most of it content is 9-12 months old? TTK LE is effectively a $20 Game of the Year edition bundled with new material.

When I can rent a movie and RedBox for $1.50, I don't usually think "Man the people who went to see this in the theatre are getting screwed!"

Sure, games devalue over time but there aren't 2 versions of Destiny. The present digital copy and Physical are going to be the same versions at release. I think this might turn into a discussion on digital price parity.

The digital version is more expensive then it's physical copy. And not in a Steam Sale/Amazon price way. The MSRP for the digital is higher then the physical. The thing I'm trying to get at that at the very least the digital version should be the same price as the physical version.

Sure, games devalue over time but there aren't 2 versions of Destiny. The present digital copy and Physical are going to be the same versions at release. I think this might turn into a discussion on digital price parity.

The digital version is more expensive then it's physical copy. And not in a Steam Sale/Amazon price way. The MSRP for the digital is higher then the physical. The thing I'm trying to get at that at the very least the digital version should be the same price as the physical version.

Edit: Never mind, I misread your post.

Mass One

Destiny is a constantly evolving franchise that requires a monetary input every so often. This is part of the business model. You pay for first access so to speak.

You might say those of us from the beginning are getting screwed financially, but most of us don't feel that way because we enjoyed playing what we had this whole time. This coming from someone who has dropped 1200+ hours into the game.

It's like, imagine waiting to buy your favorite movie after it's been out on DvD for a year and it's in the $5 bin. Sure you're saving money, but you didn't get the theatrical experience. You probably heard people talk about plot lines and you've pieced together the story in ways. After you watch your $5 version you don't really have anyone to talk about it with or share your opinions with because they've moved on to the next thing.

I don't know if that necessarily applies to video games. The Digital version and the Physical versions were both available at launch unlike most big budgeted films.

It would be weird to have the digital version of a movie be $40 and have the physical be $20 in theaters both at launch. The corporate aspect of it I don't care about because I am the consumer and have to look out for myself. By corporate aspect, I mean like you could say there's a $20 convenience fee etc but that would be nonsense.

In destiny's case the TTK is $40, $60 if you want digital popcorn. Where the physical is also resealable and for $60 you get everything including the popcorn plus tickets for the 2 prequels.

What I'm was trying to say is that if TTK releases at the very least it should be the same price on both platforms on sales. The TTK is $20.

stb

I don't know if that necessarily applies to video games. The Digital version and the Physical versions were both available at launch unlike most big budgeted films.

It would be weird to have the digital version of a movie be $40 and have the physical be $20 in theaters both at launch. The corporate aspect of it I don't care about because I am the consumer and have to look out for myself. By corporate aspect, I mean like you could say there's a $20 convenience fee etc but that would be nonsense.

In destiny's case the TTK is $40, $60 if you want digital popcorn. Where the physical is also resealable and for $60 you get everything including the popcorn plus tickets for the 2 prequels.

What I'm was trying to say is that if TTK releases at the very least it should be the same price on both platforms on sales. The TTK is $20.

I'm confused by your "digital popcorn" and "tickets for the 2 prequels".

Assuming "digital popcorn" is the CE shaders/items/emotes and "tickets for the 2 prequels" are TBD and HOW:

TTK is $40 digitally (no popcorn, no prequel tickets)

TTK Legendary Edition (vanilla, TBD, HOW, TTK) is $60 digitally AND physical (prequel tickets)

TTK Collector's Edition (vanilla, TBD, HOW, TTK, CE emotes/shaders/items) is $80 digital and physical (prequel tickets and popcorn)

TTK CE goodies pack (just the CE emotes/shaders/items) is $20 digitally (JUST the digital popcorn)

Which brings this fully into "digital shouldn't cost as much as physical because reselling, etc.)", which isn't a Destiny-specific issue.

Am I missing something? There's total parity between physical/digital as far as content/price, ASIDE from the physical CE's physical bonus items.

FyreWulff

Cross-gen isn't an option because older gen's are at a disadvantage for things like Draw Distance. If you were to play Crucible on a last gen system, you would be a disadvantage since you couldn't see as far, and render distance isn't as far. It wouldn't be fair.

If Fyrewulff is floating around here somewhere he could probably talk about the source for the MS being inclusive stuff. He knows a lot more about it than I do. I do know it's been a policy of MS for a while. Off the top of my head I know Portal 2 could be played cross-platform with PS3 and PC players playing together. MS wasn't a fan and didn't allow the option on their machine.

Defiance was working PS3/360 crossplay, until Microsoft said no.

There was supposed to be a 360 and Xbone version of FF14, but MS wanted the 360 and Bone players to be on their own servers, which Square wasn't willing to do since the game wasn't designed to be split up like that.

Whenever the "complete" edition comes out I'm more than willing to give Destiny another chance. Sold it after the first month or so and I'm definitely not fucking with it until that happens.

TheGrue

As a person who has the digital Destiny edition that came with the season pass for the two expansions...when will PSN have the $40 version up? I looked yesterday to see if I could buy it and didn't see a way.

spectator

Defiance was working PS3/360 crossplay, until Microsoft said no.

There was supposed to be a 360 and Xbone version of FF14, but MS wanted the 360 and Bone players to be on their own servers, which Square wasn't willing to do since the game wasn't designed to be split up like that.

Is Microsoft afraid that if Xbox players are able to communicate with Playstation players, the former might discover that the latter are having a good time?

As a person who has the digital Destiny edition that came with the season pass for the two expansions...when will PSN have the $40 version up? I looked yesterday to see if I could buy it and didn't see a way.

I'm looking at it right now on my phone with the Playstation app in the Playstation Store.

Destiny: The Taken King - Digital
Add-On PS4
$39.99
Sep 15, 2015

[Pre-Order]
[Available in 32 Days]

FyreWulff

Is Microsoft afraid that if Xbox players are able to communicate with Playstation players, the former might discover that the latter are having a good time?

You could endlessly speculate as to why. The easy answer is that it's mostly Microsoft's corporate culture.

See also: their ID@xbox "release at the same time or never" policy.

Ovek

7Member7
If I buy the Taken King on the PS Store will it update my base game so I don't have to have the original Destiny disc in? Or is it still considered DLC is you own the original base game.

FyreWulff

It'll be interesting to see if Win10 opens this up a little.

Even though they're doing cross play and some cross buy with this, they're still acting like they're competition with themselves - like having the Xbox version of Gears come with all the other games but the PC version will be just the game alone, Killer Instinct PC won't have the arcade ports of KI and 2, etc.

Halo Wars 2 will probably have something like that too, like it comes with Wars on the One or something.

KiteGr

I no longer trust them...
When i got the Vanila game, I've encountered content that could barelly justify even 1/3 of it's price tag, followed by the worst grindy-skinnerbox-timewasting methods one can find in a video game. And then all those problems repeated on their mandatory DLCs that i didn't get, essencially giving to this overpriced game an overpriced subscription that even new players have to pay for.
Even if i re-join the game with this supposedly improved expansion, i expent that in about 2 months there's gona be another mandatory overprised "mini expansion" askin for more money.

If I buy the Taken King on the PS Store will it update my base game so I don't have to have the original Destiny disc in? Or is it still considered DLC is you own the original base game.

The Taken King is still an expansion and still a for of DLC for the base Destiny Game. It is NOT stand alone in anyway.

If you need your disc now, you'll need your disc later.

When i got the Vanila game, I've encountered content that could barelly justify even 1/3 of it's price tag, followed by the worst grindy-skinnerbox-timewasting methods one can find in a video game. And then all those problems repeated on their mandatory DLCs that i didn't get, essencially giving to this overpriced game an overpriced subscription that even new players have to pay for.
Even if i re-join the game with this supposedly improved expansion, i expent that in about 2 months there's gona be another mandatory overprised "mini expansion" askin for more money.

You obviously have an issue with the pricing, which is fine to have. This is going to be Destiny's plan for as long as we know, so I would suggest you move on.

There are enough people currently ok with, or even happy with, the existing setup that I can't imagine Bungie changing it up anytime in the near future.

Doesn't look like I'll get to play this for a while. Most of our raid team consider themselves "done" with Destiny for the meantime.

I am curious on how the story mode will play out. Maybe I could rent it and just beat story mode just for a little closure. Want to try out Hard Light and Suros again when the auto rifle buff takes place.

JTripper

Really think people should give Destiny another try with TKK. Even wrote about it on my blog.

Apart from the pricing debacle, it seems that they're focusing on improving and fixing much of what people complained about within the past year.

Johndoey

Banned
It's kinda weird that since I only own base Destiny digital it makes the most sense for me to buy the new physical edition use the codes (I assume they are codes) then sell the disc. That's kinda fucked.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I have the disc version, but if I didn't want to mess with discs, what would it take to make my install "digital?"

$80 digital deluxe of Taken King, I believe.

edit: apparently the $60 legendary can also be purchased digitally? For some reason I thought that wasn't the case.

Mass One

I'm confused by your "digital popcorn" and "tickets for the 2 prequels".

Assuming "digital popcorn" is the CE shaders/items/emotes and "tickets for the 2 prequels" are TBD and HOW:

TTK is $40 digitally (no popcorn, no prequel tickets)

TTK Legendary Edition (vanilla, TBD, HOW, TTK) is $60 digitally AND physical (prequel tickets)

TTK Collector's Edition (vanilla, TBD, HOW, TTK, CE emotes/shaders/items) is $80 digital and physical (prequel tickets and popcorn)

TTK CE goodies pack (just the CE emotes/shaders/items) is $20 digitally (JUST the digital popcorn)

Which brings this fully into "digital shouldn't cost as much as physical because reselling, etc.)", which isn't a Destiny-specific issue.

Am I missing something? There's total parity between physical/digital as far as content/price, ASIDE from the physical CE's physical bonus items.

I don't really understand the originally movie anagoly that much but I tried to keep up with the tone.

Can you buy the TTK alone just physically for 40$? If you can then yeah the price is right and I'm mistaken. I've only seen it bundled for $60. Right now, I'm not seeing the price parity between the Physical and the digital versions. The digital version of TTK is more expensive. I'm not seeing why the digital version isn't $20 for season pass holders.

It all seems off to me. Now Destiny is $30, the season pass is $40, and TTK is valued at $40. But all of that is bundled for $60 where it's worth TTK is valued evenly at $15. But digitally it's worth $40 even if you all ready own every thing in the bundle.

JTripper

Can you buy the TTK alone just physically for 40$?

The only physical versions of TTK are the $60 "legendary edition" that includes everything or the $80 collector's edition that comes with physical collectibles. Every physical version of TKK includes the base game and the 2 dlcs.

Sulik2

Well, I guess the ball is in Gamestop's court now. I would be happy to buy the physical version of Taken King, but I'm not going to bother if it means I have to pick it up at 10AM in the morning and miss out on the first night of play. Midnight launch or bust!

I think you are in for disappointment if you think the servers are going to be working at midnight on launch night.

Incorrect, the DLCs were not mandatory and the quality of life improvements that launched aside each DLC were also available to all players for free. DLC exotic gear is also available through random drops from the nightfall even if you didn't buy it.

Also the improvements in TDB and HOW fixed the things you are complaining about. I stopped playing vanilla until TDB, then bought the expansion when I saw they got rid of farming planetary materials on patrol which was the most grindy and boring part of vanilla. HoW went a step further and simplified the economy of the game and made everything easy to get.

Anyway even if you don't buy TTK you can always just update your copy of vanilla destiny and check it out, the quality of life improvements should be there for everyone.

Edit:
I think you are in for disappointment if you think the servers are going to be working at midnight on launch night.
Bungie has a great track record so far, especially considering the entire game is online only. I can't remember their servers going down outside of Xbox or PSN downtimes. Launch day last year was solid. They don't get much credit for this for some reason.

You haven't ever been around for a destiny launch have you?

They are the smoothest launches I've ever seen.

Typically destiny puts the bulk if the content in an update a week before launch. Then on launch day there is a small 15mb patch to open it all up.

Se_7_eN

You haven't ever been around for a destiny launch have you?

They are the smoothest launches I've ever seen.

Typically destiny puts the bulk if the content in an update a week before launch. Then on launch day there is a small 15mb patch to open it all up.

Sounds like someone wasn't around for launch day...

I still can't believe what they're doing with legendaries. All those weapons I gathered, rerolled countless times, praying to the RNG gods, just swept away. I was so close to having my ideal loadout built. I care more about my full auto shotguns more than my exotics. I ... I don't want to believe what they're doing.

Denial is the first stage right? Yep, still firmly entrenched in denial.

spectator

They don't get much credit for this for some reason.

I think they get quite a bit of credit for it- literal credit every time a player purchases the game or an expansion. For an online-only game, reasonable up-time means a working product and is part of what we pay them for.

Troy

Banned
Sounds like someone wasn't around for launch day...

I don't recall having any issues at launch playing the game. The only time I can't play is when Sony's own PSN servers shit the bed, which for whatever reason impacts Destiny's ability to connect. There was a 3-5 day period around Christmas that was particularly painful. Lots of time off work to play Destiny, yet no Destiny.

Top Bottom