• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny The Taken King starring Bungie with special guest appearance by Game Informer

I don't recall having any issues at launch playing the game. The only time I can't play is when Sony's own PSN servers shit the bed, which for whatever reason impacts Destiny's ability to connect. There was a 3-5 day period around Christmas that was particularly painful. Lots of time off work to play Destiny, yet no Destiny.

That was due to outside influences that don't even deserve to be mentioned.

border

Can you buy the TTK alone just physically for 40$? If you can then yeah the price is right and I'm mistaken. I've only seen it bundled for $60. Right now, I'm not seeing the price parity between the Physical and the digital versions. The digital version of TTK is more expensive. I'm not seeing why the digital version isn't $20 for season pass holders..

TTK barebones expansion for Destiny season pass owners = $40 (digital only)
TTK Legendary Edtion = $60 (physical copy, digital version is forthcoming)
TTK Collector's Edition = $80 (digital and physical)

I am not sure what you mean when you say that the digital version costs more than the physical.

stb

I don't really understand the originally movie anagoly that much but I tried to keep up with the tone.

Can you buy the TTK alone just physically for 40$? If you can then yeah the price is right and I'm mistaken. I've only seen it bundled for $60. Right now, I'm not seeing the price parity between the Physical and the digital versions. The digital version of TTK is more expensive. I'm not seeing why the digital version isn't $20 for season pass holders.

It all seems off to me. Now Destiny is $30, the season pass is $40, and TTK is valued at $40. But all of that is bundled for $60 where it's worth TTK is valued evenly at $15. But digitally it's worth $40 even if you all ready own every thing in the bundle.

How bundle pricing generally works is the new thing in the bundle is "worth" whatever it would be by itself, and the rest of the cost is for the extra stuff they threw in.

i.e. TTK is explicitly priced at $40, so if the CE is $60, you're "getting" vanilla and the expansion pass for $20. This is to incentivize people who haven't bought the game or expansions yet to start.

How you choose to divvy it up is your call. It's certainly possible to do the math the way you've done it to feel ripped off. Taking the $60 and dividing by 4 because there are 4 products in it is certainly one way to get that TTK is "worth" $15.

But since that is lower than the preceding 2 expansions (even if you divide the "expansion pass" price by 2), I don't see the logic. I'm especially confused by the idea that a retail version of TTK would somehow address this perceived disparity. I'm sure there will be a card at BB and GS you can buy for $40 that will have a download code, just like the last two expansions.

It's just not how bundling works. PS4s come with TLOU now, and the price for that bundle is the same as a PS4 without TLOU was previously. Does that mean TLOU is worth $0 now?

Some questions for you guys, as I'm totally ignorant to this matter, but I'm about to jump back in to Destiny with these good news about taken king:

1 - Is matchmaking working for every game mode in PvE or still limited to some conditions like it was in vanilla destiny?

2 - There will be a Legendary Edition with all packed in available digitally for PS4?

3 - How's voice chat in-game? Improved?

Thanks in advance!

Mass One

TTK barebones expansion for Destiny season pass owners = $40 (digital only)
TTK Legendary Edtion = $60 (physical copy, digital version is forthcoming)
TTK Collector's Edition = $80 (digital and physical)

I am not sure what you mean when you say that the digital version costs more than the physical.
I saying if the legendary edition is msrp $60 for everything. Evenly distributed between all the content would led me to believe that the ttk bundled with everything else is 15$.

Destiny digital+season pass holders already have everything but they have to pay $40 for the ttk.

So I mean the digital version of the taken The Taken King is more expensive.

border

I saying if the legendary edition is msrp $60 for everything. Evenly distributed between all the content would led me to believe that the ttk bundled with everything else is 15$.

I don't think it makes much sense to just divide $60 by 4 and conclude that every base component is worth $15 and should be sold for that much when unbundled (especially considering that more than half of it is 9-10 months old at minimum). The whole point of a bundle is to provide value beyond what you get from several separate purchases.

The model here is roughly the same as World of Warcraft has had for its expansions. $40 for a brand new expansion.....the base game and all DLC prior to the expansion gets sold in a megapack for $20. The difference is that stores will likely refuse to carry two separate SKUs (especially if one of them is not standalone content), so everything has to be packed into the $60 Legendary Edition.

GhaleonEB

Some questions for you guys, as I'm totally ignorant to this matter, but I'm about to jump back in to Destiny with these good news about taken king:

1 - Is matchmaking working for every game mode in PvE or still limited to some conditions like it was in vanilla destiny?

2 - There will be a Legendary Edition with all packed in available digitally for PS4?

3 - How's voice chat in-game? Improved?

Thanks in advance!

1) There are more matchmaking modes than before, but not across the board. They added it to the weekly Heroic strike, and the base Prison of Elders (arena) mode. Nightfalls, raids, daily missions and the high level PoE challenge modes do not have MM.

2) See other answers, above.

3) There's a fireteam voice channel, which was added a short time after launch. Not sure what else you might be asking about.

border

oh my god i hope that's effing true

i'm gonna be a damned zombie though, probably up all night playing the xbox version then waiting for my ttk ps4 to arrive on tuesday my gawd

You will probably be able to get a good 8 hours worth of sleep once that Playstation 4 arrives, since it sounds like you are going to be downloading about 20-30GB of patches and PSN is slower than a turtle eating molasses.

You will probably be able to get a good 8 hours worth of sleep once that Playstation 4 arrives, since it sounds like you are going to be downloading about 20-30GB of patches and PSN is slower than a turtle eating molasses.

Literally from the OP:

Then comes the issue of Digital vs. Physical. The Legendary Edition is only physical, but the disc is just Vanilla Destiny with 3 codes for the 3 expansions. Expect to download 13 gigs (rough estimate) before you start playing.

And thats only if you've never played the game before.

TTK is estimated to be about 4-6 gigs.

Mass One

I don't think it makes much sense to just divide $60 by 4 and conclude that every base component is worth $15 and should be sold for that much when unbundled (especially considering that more than half of it is 9-10 months old at minimum). The whole point of a bundle is to provide value beyond what you get from several separate purchases.

The model here is roughly the same as World of Warcraft has had for its expansions. $40 for a brand new expansion.....the base game and all DLC prior to the expansion gets sold in a megapack for $20. The difference is that stores will likely refuse to carry two separate SKUs (especially if one of them is not standalone content), so everything has to be packed into the $60 Legendary Edition.

I haven't played TTK yet but I don't think there's going to be enough unique content to compare it WoW. Especially if you have no friends or don't use LFG.

But yeah I get that model for MMOs and I totally understand the current pricing for. My arguement was more of a emotional one. I just feel as a consumer and fan i'm getting the shaft. Surprisingly, the only other first hand example I had was COD:Ghost. My example was (As far as I can remember) when Ghost goty came out or was on sale they at least offer the dlc on sale. I thought that was a nice gesture.

Bungie has already acknowledge the fans with the vip rewards and yet they have to pay the highest price for TTK and emotes if they went digital.

Deku Tree

I haven't played TTK yet but I don't think there's going to be enough unique content to compare it WoW. Especially if you have no friends or don't use LFG.

But yeah I get that model for MMOs and I totally understand the current pricing for. My arguement was more of a emotional one. I just feel as a consumer and fan i'm getting the shaft. Surprisingly, the only other first hand example I had was COD:Ghost. My example was (As far as I can remember) when Ghost goty came out or was on sale they at least offer the dlc on sale. I thought that was a nice gesture.

Bungie has already acknowledge the fans with the vip rewards and yet they have to pay the highest price for TTK and emotes if they went digital.

If you have no friends and/or don't want to go online to make friends using GAF or one of the other numerous fantastic team finder online tools then yeah you are missing out on the best parts of the game and it may not be worth it.

border

Destiny doesn't cost $15/month like World of Warcraft. Their dev costs are subsidized by yearly subscriptions that cost $120+.

If you're concerned with price as it relates to amount of content provided, then why divide $60 across four components to determine the pricing? There are four discrete parts to The Taken King Legendary Edition, but they are not even remotely equal parts. Each component is very different in terms of how much content is included, and the type of content included.....not to mention age of content, which is probably one of the single biggest determining factors in pricing.

stb

If you have no friends and/or don't want to go online to make friends using GAF or one of the other numerous fantastic team finder online tools then yeah you are missing out on the best parts of the game and it may not be worth it.

Straight up, if you played vanilla Destiny primarily for the SP and didn't think it was worth $60, you absolutely will not think TTK's SP stuff is worth $40. Save yourself the trouble and skip it.

Or do what Deku said, and visit the Destiny OT where you'll almost certainly find a group that can show you around that the game really is. I'd actually prefer you take this route; it's a wonderful game played in a group, and the DGAF people are super nice and helpful.

It's the first game I willingly subjected myself to playing in a party with voice chat with people I didn't know in real life, and it's been great. I've played with MANY of the DGAF folks, and almost everyone has been a treat to play with. In fact, it went from me randomly joining pick-up groups to have a regular raid group made up of the same guys every week. Now we've been playing Destiny and other games (Rocket League) every week for about half a year now.

Jito

Banned

From what I played, the raids were hardly worth the effort and brought out the worst in some people from what I played with randoms. Teaching raid mechanics throughout the game and a in game LFG / matchmaking would be a god send for raids in the future.

border

I do hope that:

A.) Destiny becomes a PSN+/Games With Gold title for September. This makes too much sense not to do. Bring in a ton of new users just as important quality of life improvements are being rolled out, and give them an opportunity to see how your product has changed.

B.) The Expansion Pass gets put on sale for $20, or permanently marked down to $20. While TDB and HoW were not bad values at the time they were introduced, they are going to be made wholly irrelevant by Taken King. As such, charging full price no longer makes sense. People will just fly through the story missions and ignore the activities that were previously meant only for endgame. I suppose a better solution might be to find ways to make Vault of Glass/Crota's End/Prison stay relevant and exciting for players, but since Bungie isn't talking that up I assume it's probably not happening.

ocean

Banned
I do hope that:

A.) Destiny becomes a PSN+/Games With Gold title for September. This makes too much sense not to do. Bring in a ton of new users just as important quality of life improvements are being rolled out, and give them an opportunity to see how your product has changed.

B.) The Expansion Pass gets put on sale for $20, or permanently marked down to $20. While TDB and HoW were not bad values at the time they were introduced, they are going to be made wholly irrelevant by Taken King. As such, charging full price no longer makes sense. People will just fly through the story missions and ignore the activities that were previously meant only for endgame. I suppose a better solution might be to find ways to make Vault of Glass/Crota's End/Prison stay relevant and exciting for players, but since Bungie isn't talking that up I assume it's probably not happening.
1. They won't give the game out for free the same month they're selling it at retail as part of the US$60 Legendary Edition.
2. If they sold year 1 Expansion Pass at US$20 you would still require you to buy The Taken King, which is US$40. Those together make US$60...the price for the base game, year 1 expansions + Taken King.

gatti-man

From what I played, the raids were hardly worth the effort and brought out the worst in some people from what I played with randoms. Teaching raid mechanics throughout the game and a in game LFG / matchmaking would be a god send for raids in the future.

Not my experience at all. It takes 1 YouTube video to teach people raid mechanics.

Jito

Banned
Not my experience at all. It takes 1 YouTube video to teach people raid mechanics.

I never said it was a universal experience with the game, I know Destiny GAF has no issues with the game.

But does the game pop up and tell people to go watch a youtube video before playing it? If not then it has failed. Destiny should be teaching raid mechanics throughout the game so when they get to the raid they can actually understand what is happening, not just dumping people in the deep end with a bunch of strangers.

Skeletron

Confusing question...I bought the physical Limited Edition at launch that came with the season pass and some digital extras. I've used all the codes on my PSN account. But now I'd like to get rid of the physical stuff and go all digital. If I sell my physical Destiny disc, can I still purchase the $40 TTK upgrade? Or would I be purchasing the full game again with expansions and TTK?

Mass One

You are definitely not wrong. You speak the true true.

Destiny doesn't cost $15/month like World of Warcraft. Their dev costs are subsidized by yearly subscriptions that cost $120+.

If you're concerned with price as it relates to amount of content provided, then why divide $60 across four components to determine the pricing? There are four discrete parts to The Taken King Legendary Edition, but they are not even remotely equal parts. Each component is very different in terms of how much content is included, and the type of content included.....not to mention age of content, which is probably one of the single biggest determining factors in pricing.

Yes that is true each piece of content is not equal. But like I said my argument was a emotional one. I just see it as being taken advantage. There's only 1 option for digital and it's cheaper to just buy the entire game over. And 2015 has been a wash for mechanically good AAA shooters (no confidence in BF).

Straight up, if you played vanilla Destiny primarily for the SP and didn't think it was worth $60, you absolutely will not think TTK's SP stuff is worth $40. Save yourself the trouble and skip it.

Or do what Deku said, and visit the Destiny OT where you'll almost certainly find a group that can show you around that the game really is. I'd actually prefer you take this route; it's a wonderful game played in a group, and the DGAF people are super nice and helpful.

It's the first game I willingly subjected myself to playing in a party with voice chat with people I didn't know in real life, and it's been great. I've played with MANY of the DGAF folks, and almost everyone has been a treat to play with. In fact, it went from me randomly joining pick-up groups to have a regular raid group made up of the same guys every week. Now we've been playing Destiny and other games (Rocket League) every week for about half a year now.

Lack of SP content dosen't bother me. I've spent the majority of my time in Crucible but recently I've been experiencing some awful lag and stopped. I've done 1 raid and it took 5 hours to do where 2 was spent on LFG. I wish I didn't because the raids are the best part of the game.

FyreWulff

Confusing question...I bought the physical Limited Edition at launch that came with the season pass and some digital extras. I've used all the codes on my PSN account. But now I'd like to get rid of the physical stuff and go all digital. If I sell my physical Destiny disc, can I still purchase the $40 TTK upgrade? Or would I be purchasing the full game again with expansions and TTK?

You'd have to rebuy the base game digitally

Troy

Banned
Lack of SP content dosen't bother me. I've spent the majority of my time in Crucible but recently I've been experiencing some awful lag and stopped. I've done 1 raid and it took 5 hours to do where 2 was spent on LFG. I wish I didn't because the raids are the best part of the game.

Lag has been a very real issue in PVP and PVE the past month or so. It's really really annoying at times.

derek212

About to buy but one quick question.

What's the difference between the legendary edition and the digital collector edition ?
Is it just digital vs physical ? And also come with the same goodies? Or does one come with more stuff ?

Ps never played destiny besides the demo.

gatti-man

I never said it was a universal experience with the game, I know Destiny GAF has no issues with the game.

But does the game pop up and tell people to go watch a youtube video before playing it? If not then it has failed. Destiny should be teaching raid mechanics throughout the game so when they get to the raid they can actually understand what is happening, not just dumping people in the deep end with a bunch of strangers.

You've got to be kidding me.

Jito

Banned
You've got to be kidding me.

What? Am I wrong? Teaching game mechanics throughout the game is usually a good idea. Dumping people in a new environment then saying, figure this shit out with no real grasp of the mechanics is dumb. There's things in the raids that aren't seen anywhere else in the game and it sucks. The difficulty is then piled on by working with a group of randoms who think they all have the answer.

Mass One

Lag has been a very real issue in PVP and PVE the past month or so. It's really really annoying at times.

Ok thanks for confirming that. I knew something was up.

What's the difference between the legendary edition and the digital collector edition ?
Is it just digital vs physical ? And also come with the same goodies? Or does one come with more stuff ?

Destiny seems weird to me. Here's a link to buy

Looking at that it seems like you get more game stuff with the digital collector's. Obviously no physical goodies with digital. It's also 60 vs 80 but Legendary edition you don't get the xp, shaders, emotes stuff.

stb

I've done 1 raid and it took 5 hours to do where 2 was spent on LFG. I wish I didn't because the raids are the best part of the game.

Hit up the DGAF OT: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1088658

There's almost always a group forming or people that would jump on if you started one.

Most raids take 30-60 minutes with these guys, and there are usually people who can sherpa for the harder parts (running sword for Crota, relic for Templar, etc.).

Looking at that it seems like you get more game stuff with the digital collector's. Obviously no physical goodies with digital. It's also 60 vs 80 but Legendary edition you don't get the xp, shaders, emotes stuff.

The LE comes with:
- vanilla Destiny
- The Dark Below expansion
- House of Wolves expansion
- The Taken King expansion

The DIGITAL CE comes with:
- vanilla Destiny (same as LE)
- The Dark Below expansion (same as LE)
- House of Wolves expansion (same as LE)
- The Taken King expansion (same as LE)
- some emotes
- one exotic class item for each class that increases the XP you get for doing things
- 3 shaders
I'm PRETTY sure you can't get any of these special items anywhere else.

I'd recommend just buying the LE to start with, because you can bu the digital CE goodies for $20 separately later if you want them.

Mass One

What? Am I wrong? Teaching game mechanics throughout the game is usually a good idea. Dumping people in a new environment then saying, figure this shit out with no real grasp of the mechanics is dumb. There's things in the raids that aren't seen anywhere else in the game and it sucks. The difficulty is then piled on by working with a group of randoms who think they all have the answer.

I'm not a fan of it but some people love that stuff. Look at cod zombies. I don't like it but since there's no matchmaking, if you end up in a raid at least one person will have already done it. So it kinda but not really balances it out.

derek212

Ok thanks for confirming that. I knew something was up.

Thanks !! I'll buy the digital collectors.

ocean

Banned
But that's what makes it fun? Half the thrill is going in completely blind with no instructions or indications and trial and erroring your way through. As with most things in the game though, truly enjoying this sense of discovery and experimentation rather depends on playing it with a group of people you enjoy playing with. If it's just annoyed and annoying strangers pulled from LFG who are bitching the whole time about a person dying or whatever, yeah it sucks.

Jito

Banned
I'm not a fan of it but some people love that stuff. Look at cod zombies. I don't like it but since there's no matchmaking, if you end up in a raid at least one person will have already done it. So it kinda but not really balances it out.

But that's what makes it fun? Half the thrill is going in completely blind with no instructions or indications and trial and erroring your way through. As with most things in the game though, truly enjoying this sense of discovery and experimentation rather depends on playing it with a group of people you enjoy playing with. If it's just annoyed and annoying strangers pulled from LFG who are bitching the whole time about a person dying or whatever, yeah it sucks.

Yeh, I totally understand that if you're playing with a group of friends who could make bashing your head against a wall for hours bearable then it would be fun. Not all of us are that lucky though. There's such a missed opportunity throughout the games missions and strikes to use the raid mechanics to make them more interesting and to teach players what to expect in the raids.

Yes you are wrong.

Nice talking to you too. Cool that you'd explain you're point of view rather than shit posting...wait.

gatti-man

Yes you are wrong.

stb

My first trip through VoG was one of my favorite gaming experiences ever.

That said, it WAS with a sherpa (thanks Hawkian!) and not a LFG, but all DGAF people (everyone was new to it except Hawkian).

I can totally see being frustrated by complicated mechanics, especially with randoms. You should pretty much only play with DGAF people, IMO.

Edit: and they absolutely should have introduced the VoG mechanics throughout other activities. The one raid mechanic you ARE introduced to through the SP is for the boss of the TBD raid.

Well..... it would probably be nigh impossible to have a 'going in blind' experience with a raid now. Unless you already knew 5 friends who were also in the dark. You're not going to get 5 unspoiled raid newbies out of DGAF or LFG, and also avoid spoiling yourself.

Its just the nature of the game. That initial release raid experience is lost, unable to be recreated.

I sold my Destiny disk after getting to level 20 last year.

I only buy digital now.

Is there an option for me to buy the game and all expansions digitally cheap? May try Destiny again as all my friends are still pretty into it

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
The Legendary Edition is only physical, but the disc is just Vanilla Destiny with 3 codes for the 3 expansions. Expect to download 13 gigs (rough estimate) before you start playing.

This is unacceptable. At the very least, data for the first two expansions should be pressed onto the disc.

I sold my Destiny disk after getting to level 20 last year.

I only buy digital now.

Is there an option for me to buy the game and all expansions digitally cheap? May try Destiny again as all my friends are still pretty into it

Not really....

All digital complete editions is 80

You are better off snagging the legendary edition on Amazon for 50

The Legendary Edition is only physical, but the disc is just Vanilla Destiny with 3 codes for the 3 expansions.

Okay, okay, wait.

When you say "codes" do you mean a slip of paper in the box with the codes on it or a direct link from within the game?

Because I really wanted to rent this from Gamefly but if the code is with the box then I'd essentially just be renting Destiny again. And fuck that. And fuck actually buying the Legendary Edition. Not gonna risk getting burnt by this game again.

Top Bottom