• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny won’t release in 2013

Rhindle

I'm just surprised they are bothering with 360/PS3 versions for a 2014 release.

Seems like a waste of resources unless the incremental cost is very small. Maybe it makes sense if it's a really early 2014 release and they're betting next gen consoles will be in short supply.

Woorloog

Banned

Seems like a waste of resources unless the incremental cost is very small. Maybe it makes sense if it's a really early 2014 release and they're betting next gen consoles will be in short supply.

Install base. Even after next-gen console releases, the former ones have massive user bases. Not selling to them would be stupid.

StuBurns

Banned
If it's coming next year, at the very best what's the PS4/XB3 install base? Fifteen million between them? It'd need a 50% attach-rate to do really great numbers.

Not launching on PS360 would be crazy next year.

This game has been in development for the 360/PS3 for a while now. They're not just going to abandon all their work on the 7th-gen platforms to rely exclusively on the install base of brand new, untested consoles.

It's WAY too risky.

I am not that suprised st Bungie showing something way too early. I remember when they first showed Halo running on a Mac at an Apple event

But then maybe they really don't have anything yet for nextgen, and wanted to reveal early before everyone forgets about them in the oncomming flood of nextgen game hype

KaYotiX

Banned
In one sentence, why exactly did they choose yesterday to 'reveal' the game when they had nothing to show, and so far from release

Exactly, why even bother? Just show it at E3 when you actually have something....of course this is Bungie and they leak out info over the course of years to build hype.

You have much to learn about Bungie friend.

they're most likely spending the next 4 months playing LAN matches with Destiny.

Haha, yeah, people thinking Destiny is vapourware just don't really know them very well. They get off on teasing their fans. This time around though, they teased the journalists too. Industry is full of intrigue, that's for sure. Reminds me of a time before Halo CE.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Jeff Gerstmann (or was it Keighley?) said around six years lol.
Development in terms of actually making a product started only after they signed the contract. Preliminary conceptual stuff was beforehand.

Haha, yeah, people thinking Destiny is vapourware just don't really know them very well. They get off on teasing their fans. This time around though, they teased the journalists too. Industry is full of intrigue, that's for sure. Reminds me of a time before Halo CE.

Yea, after reading more I realized, there's a large portion of this game that's already working. Bungie revealed a judicious amount of info that tells us more than meets the eye.

When halo was revealed we knew far less about it, even though we got a full gameplay trailer.

Yea, after reading more I realized, there's a large portion of this game that's already working. Bungie revealed a judicious amount of info that tells us more than meets the eye.

When halo was revealed we knew far less about it, even though we got a full gameplay trailer.

I'm betting that we know more about this game then we think. If we look at bungies past projects there are a ton of hints.

the hub world in odst, the mission structure of odst, the firefight options from reach, the armor abilities, the saber sequence, etc. I bet all of it was designed to help test specific features of destiny. When we play destiny, i think it's going to be a very familiar experience, but an extremely refreshing one.

GrizzNKev

Banned
This sucks. I made a promise to myself that my only full price, day 1 purchase in 2013 would be Destiny. What will I spend my money on now?

Forkball

Weird, I had it in my head that it was an October release. Maybe that was from some previous leak and things changed.

I don't see why people are upset about 360/PS3 releases for this game next year. Who knows what will happen with Orbis/Durango, they might not be appealing purchases the first few months or even year. Not to mention the install base for 360/PS3 are already huge and of course they want to reach the widest audience possible.

Or maybe they delayed it so they can work on the PC version #believe

unless there's a pc version i'll be buying the game for ps3 anyways. No chance in hell am I buying a next gen console until fall 2014 the earliest.

hardware is so unreliable these days and the games won't be anything special on launch I'd imagine.

As others have said, I'm starting to wonder if this was all part of a build up to a Sony showing tomorrow. Get Bungie to show what's cooking on the current gen and then Sony show a version that just makes the stuff we've seen so far look like shit. (not hard tbh given what we did see)

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Why start this moronic pre-order push then, the biggest I've ever seen?

I can't imagine Activision is happy with how slow Bungie is going. Maybe ultimately thats what the point of this whole non-event was, to stop them from their skulking in the shadows and get their shit out there as a real thing to inspire some speed and improvement.

Sendou

I doubt it's recent footage, because the ViDoc itself uses old interview footage.

Well I don't believe that it's that oudated either. We're talking about the first showing of a major franchise here and not showing representative footage just won't cut it.

7he Talon

Well I don't believe that it's that oudated either. We're talking about the first showing of a major franchise here and not showing representative footage just won't cut it.
The only footage they showed was 3 short cuts of pre-alpha build footage. The rest was just animated concept art. Hopefully by E3 we'll see a pretty polished build of the game.

Ok...well then, page me when it's 2014 and I'll start giving Destiny a look. I'm kinda over these one year + long marketing fiascos.

agreed, its so drawn out and unnecessary, my hype dwindles over that time to almost disdain.

wolverine-not-impressed-1920x1080.jpg
my reaction to Destiny...

It's crazy they wasted everyone's time. It's one thing to throw out a silly CG trailer out to the web for some point of presence. It's another to invite all of the media out to your HQ to reveal nothing, waste their own and the people travelings time, and then to not even have a clear and consistent announcement description of what the game is. We think its sort of like a MMO or PSO game or whatever. But bungie wasn't even wanting to reveal simple mechanics.

I hope they show only short gameplay videos at E3, maybe focusing on only Earth and the Moon. Love the way they are building mystery around the story, history etc. Would be great if some enemies are not shown until the game ships.

Perhaps the quote was intended as,

"Bungie's upcoming sci-fi shooter MMO Destiny will not be coming in 2013 [on PS4 and Xbox 720], according to a press release that publisher Activision sent out this morning. The release explains that [the PS4 and Xbox 720 versions of] Destiny is not included in Activision's 2013 outlook and "there should be no speculation or expectation of a different result".

BELIEVE!

monome

Day 1 on PS720 or fuck you.

Activision actually bothered to ask retailers to launch pre-order initatives a year in advance...

as far as i'm concerned it's the first time ever I saw all major retailers doing this the day of a reveal, without firm launch date, and with actual benefits for doing so (posters, wallpapers)

Activision means business with this game.

Curious to see if PS720 pre-orders (for the consoles, not Destiny on those plateforms) will be as well orchestrated.

I suppose Bungie had other world domination plans than make retailers its bitches, but that's a start.

It's crazy they wasted everyone's time. It's one thing to throw out a silly CG trailer out to the web for some point of presence. It's another to invite all of the media out to your HQ to reveal nothing, waste their own and the people travelings time, and then to not even have a clear and consistent announcement description of what the game is. We think its sort of like a MMO or PSO game or whatever. But bungie wasn't even wanting to reveal simple mechanics.
To be fair, if you actually read the previews they did talk a LOT about actual details to reporters. Like naming specific classes, customization options, and detailed gameplay scenarios. Go read Polygon's article for example.

If it's coming next year, at the very best what's the PS4/XB3 install base? Fifteen million between them? It'd need a 50% attach-rate to do really great numbers.

Not launching on PS360 would be crazy next year.

But its a "mmo" need to keep selling dlc for 1-2 years

But its a "mmo" need to keep selling dlc for 1-2 years
It's probably not an MMO in the way you think. At least I wouldn't necessarily expect to be able to continue your character in to Destiny 2 though maybe they can do that with a Bungie specific account. Also, you'd be crazy to think that 3rd parties aren't going to support 360/PS3 for the next couple of years. The install base is just too big.

people keep referring to it as an MMO, all the previews stated that Bungie went out of their way to NOT say MMO during the press briefing, at least not in the traditional sense. think more like Journey but with a few more players.

The reveal was something that both Activision and Bungie could control. With Bungie giving a talk at GDC in March, this was a baby step toward revealing the game, a small peek if you will.

people keep referring to it as an MMO, all the previews stated that Bungie went out of their way to NOT say MMO during the press briefing, at least not in the traditional sense. think more like Journey but with a few more players.

The reveal was something that both Activision and Bungie could control. With Bungie giving a talk at GDC in March, this was a baby step toward revealing the game, a small peek if you will.
Exactly. The term MMO used to simply mean there were a lot of players all connected at the same time, but now it has morphed into a label for a very specific genre of gaming.

Exactly. The term MMO used to simply mean there were a lot of players all connected at the same time, but now it has morphed into a label for a very specific genre of gaming.

Pretty much. MMO now means WoW-like MMORPG. In that case, Destiny is certainly NOT that. People using that basis for their criticisms are lazy and haven't educated themselves, and it's starting to get really old.

Based on what we know so far, here's a very simplified premise of what the game (probably) is, using games we already know:

Open-world RPG/FPS like Borderlands with the server-side world persistence of a game like EVE, but with seamless hands-off player "injection" like Journey using the matchmaking technology of Halo.

Their term: Shared-World Shooter. SWS.

In other words, stop calling it an MMO, people. You're confusing people, and yourself.

That sounds to me more like they are hedging their earnings reports rather than a direct confirmation that Destiny won't come out this year.

Do we actually know this? From the reveal I noticed the game was split up into chapters, so it seems the world isn't really persistent but rather you pick a segment of the story and play through it with many other people.

Hmm, at the very least the game seems to be emulating some form of world persistence. I was more emphasizing that players shape the world/story over time and the game will have deeply-ingrained social features. They have said that the "game world" will be active if you're playing or not.

Either way, my point was this: Destiny is likely a game that will be easier to describe and understand without constraining it to genre tropes and conventions. This is what Bungie does. They like to take genres and turn them on their head, mixing and matching elements from a wide spectrum of games.

Jarmel

Banned
Absolutely ridiculous

iSAo2nMMYTFPi.jpg

Not even coming out this year and it seems like it's already in full preorder mode. This was the biggest stand at the Gamestop. The only other game that had anything remotely this large was the Tomb Raider stand.

Krilekk

Banned
Could this just be damage control by Activision? Press and consumers were pretty underwhelmed by the reveal, maybe they realized they are sitting on a potential bomba and try to fix it now? Cause it's borderline stupid to reveal it, start a preorder campaign along it with expiration dates this year and then come out the day after and say it's not coming this year. That is just as stupid as revealing a game/universe with half a year old content. Nobody is that stupid. They need to wow people. There is no evidence that what they showed isn't recent footage.

Top Bottom