• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny's raids will not support online matchmaking with random players.

sjay1994

IGN First: http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/07/30/destiny-the-endgame-is-only-the-beginning-ign-first

Raids are “extremely crafted,” six-player, friends-only gauntlet runs that might best be described as gut-checks. Yes, they will be difficult, and they will absolutely require communication and cooperation. That’s why Bungie isn’t supporting matchmaking for them; the developers don’t want them to be played by disparate groups of strangers. But Smith is quick to point out that they’re not like Strikes – the instanced dungeon-like runs that might take a mere 20-60 minutes – but more like MMO raids in that you’re going to want to buckle up and get comfortable for a couple hours.

“The activity is going to take you and your group of five buddies into a place that you’ve never been,” Smith explains. “A place that you will return to frequently. And [it will] demand of you things you’ve never even really been asked to do in a shooter before.”

If you need friends...

screenshot2014-07-30avepcr.png

Its there

Some posts from Luke Smith , lead raid designer for Destiny

I understand everyone's frustration about the decision to not have matchmaking in a post-matchmaking world. I also understand the limitations that this places on the activity's adoption at scale.

That barrier to entry - the requirement that you get a group of people together and venture into something that is going to challenge your ability to work together (first) and your thumbs (second) - is a barrier I was willing to erect to preserve the activity goals.

Bleeding edge hardcore groups will invest some significant amount of time in figuring out the encounters and making their way through the Vault.

I fully expect groups to beat Normal mode in the first week its available.
  • This is intentional, I'd like any group that is motivated and willing to cooperate to make their way through the Raid on Normal. I've talked some about thumbskill challenge vs. investment challenge vs. cooperation challenge in some interviews, and the Normal Raid difficulty prioritizes cooperation challenge and investment challenge.

I expect Hard mode to take longer.
Once your group learns the encounters, you will be able to get through the Raid significantly faster than 3 hours.

However, the first time through, learning everything and arranging your group will take some hard-to-predict amount of time until some clan releases their strategies on YouTube.

The Vault of Glass is in many ways an activity that will build groups from the disparate people who come together to try and make their way through it. It's very much a team-building exercise.

If you're going to stream it this Fall, please feel free to let me know here. I'd love to tune in.

We store insertion points for you each week.

You can resume where you and your group left off. That way, you can play an encounter or two, call it a night, get back together and pick up later in the week.

Each week, your progress and loot eligibility is reset.
(A given encounter only rewards players once a week)

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
This is for the best.

Also is this the first time they've mentioned multiple raids? I thought there was only one.

Hoo-doo

Banned
They take multiple hours? Goddamn. Random parties will just end in failure either way.

Netherlands-DGAF strike team, unite!

Rockyrock

When I heard raid i thought it would be a lot more than 6 players....I thought they would be around 12-16

Also what's wrong with just having the option? Basically you can only do raids when you somehow manage to get all 6 people on at once which isn't the easiest thing to do these days with everyone having different schedules.

This is going to be the most unsocial, social game ever created.

Ridley327

Considering how much they've been talking up the difficulty of this, I'm not surprised to see them make this decision. Sucks for anyone who can't get five friends on the same schedule, though.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Yeah, I can't say sitting down and playing any chunk of gameplay for several hours is my thing. Don't really like endurance tasks in games, but this makes a bit of sense. Just protecting you from inevitable failure and wasted time when the likelihood of the entire team being cohesive enough to succeed is very low. Probably would create more negative experiences than positive ones.

T.O.P

Banned
Sorry, but why don't just give the option?

Getting a couple of friends up online at the same time is already a pain in the ass :(

Ridley327

This is for the best.

Also is this the first time they've mentioned multiple raids? I thought there was only one.

I think the expectation is that the game is shipping with the one Raid on Venus, but it's hard to imagine that they won't have Raids planned for all of the currently explorable planets/moons down the line.

Orayn

Makes sense to me, to be honest. Strikes were hard enough without being on voice chat with people you know, so I can't imagine a longer, more difficult version going well with randoms. People are always complaining about MMOs and MMO-like games putting too much emphasis on soloing and not having enough content that requires cooperation, so there you go.

Even WoW's "raid finder" system is limited to sticking multiple premade groups together rather than assembling them from scratch.

Kouriozan

So it'll really take some hours?!
I already can't stand DOTA/LoL 45 mins match, I would feel bad to leave my friends while in a raid because it's not compatible with my life style.

lazygecko

They'll cave in eventually. Convenience always wins. I applaud the effort though. Raiding through LFR with randomly chosen players in WoW is the most hollow, unfulfilling experience in the game.

This makes me excited even more for raids. I really want to find a core group of six folks to play with during the game and then start doing the raid.

Hoo-doo

Banned

Getting a couple of friends up online at the same time is already a pain in the ass :(

Because these raids will probably hinge on teamwork and voice communications to even have a remote chance at succeeding.

A group of non-speaking double-jumping randoms from PSN/XBL are going to make for an excruciating experience, I bet.

Aww. I don't have any friends who play Destiny ;-;.

DestinyGAF got your back.

see5harp

Good. Randoms won't get this job done.

ODST firefight did it right.

NO. It should be an option. ODST firefight was the best thing ever but completely sucked because it was nearly impossible to play with friends across the country because of lag.

Mindlog

Good?

What a bunch of weakness. Playing with randoms is half the fun. You never know what you're going to get rolling into an encounter that can get stale quickly. Then again some of GAF prefers the challenge of rolling up 20k-1k scores in PVP for fun. Takes all sorts. Will probably run it once or twice to completion and then get tired of the wait to group up six players every time I want to play.

Tacitus_

Because random people can be so absolutely shite at games that you'd rather bash your head into a wall than play with them.

Just ask any WoW player for Looking For Raid horror stories. And the LFR difficulty is rated as content-tourist on the difficulty level.

Best news I've read since the beta ended. This will not only make the content last longer, but encourage more clans and community building. Raidfinder is not inherently bad, but for this game I think its exclusion will work really well.

Well that kind of sucks. I'll be lucky to get a chance to ever play it then. Hopefully I can team up with some DestinyGAF or something.

Pastry

Banned
I think it's kind of bullshit honestly. At least give us the option. Luckily I'm a part of the GAF group so I'll find people to do the raid with but this sucks for everyone else.

I just don't want to have to jump on a message board and organize that shit, it'd be nice if you could queue up for the raid and it would
tell your clan you're looking for spots. Otherwise this is going to blow.

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member
Damn this sucks. I don't have a lot of friends but I love to do stuff like this. Was hoping I'd be able to find some randoms in the same way I can with strikes.

:(

T.O.P

Banned
Because these raids will probably hinge on teamwork and voice communications to even have a remote chance at succeeding.

A group of non-speaking double-jumping randoms from PSN/XBL are going to make for an excruciating experience, I bet.

DestinyGAF got your back.

That i understand but compared to an MMO i don't have a world chat to ask for people or even a LFG/LFP board to gather people up if i don't have anyone available

I'm looking forward to this kind of content but i can how it could be a pain to gather up a full team

subrock

I guess I can either buy a headset with a mic and make some gamers friends, or go solo beast mode on the thing.

They'll cave in eventually. Convenience always wins. I applaud the effort though. Raiding through LFR with randomly chosen players in WoW is the most hollow, unfulfilling experience in the game.

Exactly - it'll wind up like WoW - at first, only the most hardcore top 10% of players even SAW that content.

Then they added Pickup Group Raiding using the "Raid Finder/Dungeon Finder" matchmaking feature.

Because, why waste money paying developers/designers to make really intricate raids if only 10% of your customers will ever see it?

This will not last. It'll be "casualized" after 4 or 5 months. And I'm fine with that.

ultron87

That is honestly pretty disappointing. There needs to at least be a way in game to recruit people that aren't on your friends list manually. If you can't go "LFM Molten Core!" to Tower chat it really feels like there should be a way to do matchmaking.

bombshell

The strikes have mandatory fireteam matchmaking, which is nice. What I would like to see in the full game is optional fireteam matchmaking for story missions.

Top Bottom