• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destruction AllStars Delayed to Feb; Now Launching on PS+

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
is the wording of that sentence that is odd... "We’ve decided to move the game’s release from November 2020 to February 2021, where it will be included for two months in PlayStation Plus at no additional cost." they could have said that you have two months to add the game to your library... the way they said it looks like the game after this two months won't free anymore... like if they give us a two month free trial for the game to PS+ users, and after it you have to buy it.
It not clear.

It can be interpreted in two ways:

1. It'll be available to download on PS+ for two months, in which as long as you are a PS+ subber the game is there for a while afterwards

2. it'll be available to download on PS+ for two months, but at the end of the two months, it'll be cut off and if you want to keep playing, you buy it for $70

I'm thinking it's #2 because no PS+, PS Now or GWG, Game Pass games are on the rotation for only 2 months.

Last edited:

iHaunter

The "Oof" was for the devs.

Going straight to PS+ is like a film going straight to Netflix.

Not necessarily, a lot of games Sky "Rocketed" by going PS+. Rocket League and Fall Guys are great examples of that.

I hope they saved some of that coke money now their playerbase has dropped off a cliff.

It's a free game, the player base will be far higher than the launch of PS5.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
How strange they positioned it as a £69.99 game ($90) only to delay it and make it free.

Hopefully it shows that unless it's a prestigious franchise few are willing to pay the ridiculous price there charging everyone outside of America.

I think this is great for the game and for Sony. There was basically no hype here or anywhere else, but it looks like it could be a legitimate fun game if enough people play it. They can make the money back in MTX :lollipop_frowning_mouth: or other DLC.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
How strange they positioned it as a £69.99 game ($90) only to delay it and make it free.

Hopefully it shows that unless it's a prestigious franchise few are willing to pay the ridiculous price there charging everyone outside of America.
When you got zero gameplay videos and a game that looks like Rocket League, asking gamers to blindly pay $70 will lead to 8 pre-order copies.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I hope they saved some of that coke money now their playerbase has dropped off a cliff.

Not sure anyone expected it to retain players considering how little depth there was.

But no one expected 7 million sold on Steam either. For such a small team/budget, that's a crazy win regardless of player retention.

That's $140,000,000.00 on Steam alone. Plus they generated a bit more profit with microtransactions and PS4 sales.

Fall Guys is the breakout success of the year.

Vae_Victis

Banned
The "Oof" was for the devs.

Going straight to PS+ is like a film going straight to Netflix.
Tell that to Psyonix. It must have been truly horrible and shameful going from being an unknown B-tier support team making the multiplayer mode of Mass Effect 3 to cashing in hundreds of millions over a single low budgey new IP nobody was even really asking for.

Hostile_18

Banned
Not necessarily, a lot of games Sky "Rocketed" by going PS+. Rocket League and Fall Guys are great examples of that.

It's a free game, the player base will be far higher than the launch of PS5.

Sure rocketed in popularity but doesn't necessarily equal profit. Average user was going to pay $70/£70 for entry fee minimum. I wonder how many people pay in Rocket League (1 in 20?) and I bet that amount will be nowhere near $70.

It not clear.

1. It'll be available to download on PS+ for two months, in which as long as you are a PS+ subber the game is there for a while afterwards

2. it'll be available to download on PS+ for two months, but at the end of the two months, it'll be cut off and if you want to keep playing, you buy it for $70

I'm thinking it's #2 because no PS+, PS Now or GWG, Game Pass games are on the rotation for only 2 months.

It's number 1 dude don't kid yourself

reinking

Gold Member
I'm much more interested in it now than I was at $70. I know it is going to get flack but if someone had told me about a car game where you play soccer I would have told them not interested. Actually, I did. Turns out I was wrong. I hope this one surprises me too.

SilentUser

They should have done that from the start, to be honest. Sounds bad this way, even though doing something along these lines would benefit a lot the game.

Grinchy

Banned
This is awesome news. I really wanted to try it out but wouldn't commit $70. They will have a way bigger player base by making it a Plus game and then it can get word of mouth.

FrankWza

It not clear.

I’m thinking it’s 1. This helps the game get some exposure instead of getting lost in the launch lineup. And it gives Sony a PS5 game they have to include for PS plus 2 times instead of using 2 games when there are not a huge amount of games to choose from.

White-fire

It not clear.

I would guess its the first option, only because I cannot remember Sony making a PS+ game as a "rental". As far as I know, you always keep the game in your library to redownlaod and use whenever you want. It would be a lot smarter for Sony to do it this way, as few people would buy it after playing it for two months, and if they have a good microtransaction system, it could provide a nice return.

Last edited:

Tulipanzo

Honestly it would have bombed at that price, with that little marketing and so much competition. The delay and PS+ launch fix all of those issues

chonga

I really wonder why they decided to make this call 3 weeks before launch.
'How are those Destruction All Stars pre-orders looking, John?'
Hmm, not much coming in yet boss.
'OK, maybe they'll pick up next week'.

- one week later -

- one week later -

- one week later -

- one week later -

- one week later (and 3 weeks to launch) -

'John, should we.... do something?'

Bo_Hazem

Banned
This may be disappointing news for some of you who were looking to play the game at launch, but we hope you understand the decision. For those of you that have already pre-ordered the game, be it via PlayStation Store, PlayStation.com, or at retail, your purchase will be refunded.

This is massive!!!

Yoboman

Should have been this way to start

Even with being one of the people looking forward to this, I couldn't justify full price on what they've shown

Yoboman

Hmm, well you learn something new every day, never had a reason to find this out, have been a subscriber now for years.
Regardless, the game still isn't free, it's like saying watching the Mandalorian on Disney plus is free, pretty sure I pay for that every month.
The game looks fun though, doubt I will play it until you can buy it for $20, no interest in PS+ whatsoever.
Dude free 2 play games like Fortnite aren't even free on Xbox and locked behind a paywall. This is a dumb fight to try to make because you'll lose on every point

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Glad they moved it to PS+, but I do have concerns about the delay. Potential issues there or is this just a content timing decision?

Ar¢tos

Hmm, well you learn something new every day, never had a reason to find this out, have been a subscriber now for years.
Regardless, the game still isn't free, it's like saying watching the Mandalorian on Disney plus is free, pretty sure I pay for that every month.
The game looks fun though, doubt I will play it until you can buy it for $20, no interest in PS+ whatsoever.
And after you buy it for 20$, how do you plan to play it without ps+, since ps+ is required to play online?

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
I'm laughing so much at the disaster of the PS5, every day a new joke.

tenor.gif

All I read about on this site is about how AMAZING the PS5 launch line up is. Huh?

So the only ACTUAL launch exclusive is Demon's Souls, yes? I ask as someone with it preordered. Just makes zero sense that this mainly brought up as a negative to MS but not Sony.

Grinchy

Banned
Glad they moved it to PS+, but I do have concerns about the delay. Potential issues there or is this just a content timing decision?
I wonder if they are retooling the microtransactions. It'll probably come out of the PS+ wave with a very reduced price with the hopes of making it with pink slime hats or whatever.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Since launch line up is a lot stronger than XSX i would say i approve of this decision :)

Saying that something is stronger than zero isn't really fair. It's more like exists vs doesn't exist. (assuming we taking our multiplatform games)
Although lets not take it to far, it's not really "strong" either.

THE DUCK

Dude free 2 play games like Fortnite aren't even free on Xbox and locked behind a paywall. This is a dumb fight to try to make because you'll lose on every point

Wait so your argument that's its not free is that free to play games on Xbox are not free? I don't get it, it's still not free.

Damigos

Saying that something is stronger than zero isn't really fair. It's more like exists vs doesn't exist. (assuming we taking our multiplatform games)
Although lets not take it to far, it's not really "strong" either.
Well, it was above zero either way so its stronger by default.
I agree with any publisher/developer who delay a game to make it better in any case

THE DUCK

And after you buy it for 20$, how do you plan to play it without ps+, since ps+ is required to play online?

Good point, guess they won't get my money at all. Last gen I played PS4 exclusives offline, online games on Xbox, likely this continue.

Isa

Gold Member
This is a bummer, but not really. I had it pre-ordered but now cancelled it. I know I wouldn't really give it time though, as I prefer sp and co-op games, and those launch weeks into CyberPunk the week after will be BUSY. It being added to PS+ is a smart and cool move, eases the blow, unless they pull a Driveclub and its like a barebones version, which I doubt.

Pantz

Gold Member
Free to play isn't necessarily a good thing. Some can do it well some can't. Still need to see more.

Top Bottom