• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destruction Allstars PS5 Launch Title Details Revealed

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
I never post my own stuff, but given the curiosity about this title, I felt it would be ok. If it's not good form, no worries: lemme know and I'll delete my post- thx! :)

Ok, that said:

Destruction Allstars is one of the coolest looking PS5 launch games. But no one knows much about it. Well, until now. A playtester for the game called in to the stream and spilled tha beanz. And he answered the BIG question: Is Allstars WORTH $70?!?

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
I'm definitely going to pick this up when it drops. Looks awesome to me but the price is a joke.

It does look fun. It’s a shame they’re asking for $70 though, when theyve hardly shown the game at all. Is this a launch title? If so, they better start hyping this if they want a decent community

jaysius

Banned
Laffy Jaffe with the exclusive dish!

I’ve never watched your stuff but now suddenly I want to see you do a show where you do interviews with game developers, kind of like the Dewrito Pope except you know what’s going on and have an interesting personality. Maybe something raw like early days Giant Bomb E3.

Last edited:

qiqiqiiq

This looks like a fun $30 dollars game at most, I even thought it was going to be a free to play with microtransactions or something.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
50383877436_4596061606_h.jpg

The artstyle and the price tag makes it a skip for me.

THEAP99

Banned
I never post my own stuff, but given the curiosity about this title, I felt it would be ok. If it's not good form, no worries: lemme know and I'll delete my post- thx! :)

Ok, that said:

Destruction Allstars is one of the coolest looking PS5 launch games. But no one knows much about it. Well, until now. A playtester for the game called in to the stream and spilled tha beanz. And he answered the BIG question: Is Allstars WORTH $70?!?

Nah. Look like games a service junk you'd see on gamepass. Like bleeding edge Makes it even worse though they're asking $70 for this. Should be $40 at much. Needs to be on ps plus, ps now, or free to play if they want a future for this game. Sony continues to half-ass multiplayer exploration.

Esca

Sony should of made it multi only, cosmetic dlc, and a launch ps+ game for the ps5. As it is, it looks like more a$50 title. This $70 price tag definitely isn't helping it.

I hope it's a good game and is worth the price, I'll get it if it is but atm with what we know, nah

Elcid

Banned
I’m curious to see if these games price drop during the Christmas season? I definitely want to play it but realistically how many launch titles can I juggle with Avengers, Miles, Demon Souls, Sackboy, and this?

aclar00

Slap twisted metal skin onto it and I'd buy it 100% I really don't like artstyle in this ;x

I would love Twisted Metal 2 HD remix with an online mode a la Street Fighter II. My fav TM game and one i can still play 'til this day. Played it to death as a kid, and even as an adult on PS3 (PSone Classic),

its one of those games i can pick up play after 10 years and within 5 mins feel like it was yesterday.... Left Right Up...Freeze...ah the memories...Outlaw. Thanks for the memories Jaffe, SingleTrac and team.

Ill wait to see gameplay of D-All Stars. Maybe its something i can play with my kid. Havent been following it much though.

davidjaffe davidjaffe

If you haven't seen it, here's my post on the topic that I made several weeks ago: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/dest...y-real-understanding-of-the-gameplay.1566777/

If you don't mind me asking, do you agree that free-to-play should be the standard model for multiplayer only titles going forward, or do you think there's still a place for even $20, $30, or $40 dollar multiplayer only games?

After seeing the success of Apex Legends, Warzone, and the massive initial boosts given to Rocket League and Fall Guys on PS Plus, I'm more and more convinced that games like Rocket Arena and Lawbrakers are now the rule rather than the exception. What do you think?

Personally, if I know that a game will only be enjoyable with a strong multiplayer community, it makes me a lot less likely to risk money on a multiplayer only title before I know if anyone is still going to be playing it in a month. The "pay now or free later" model of Rogue Company also doesn't seem like a bad idea.

//DEVIL//

The first time I saw the trailer I was l felt it’s more of a twisted metal but without weapons . More like cars special abilities . And given like how I love twisted metal, I felt I would enjoy the game very much . But the lack of media on this is very concerning.

also, no game ever should cost 70$. So no to that

ok maybe not all games . I can understand if I am being charged 70$ for cyberpunk for example, but 70$ for this or spider man ps5 or any not high production value game that spent years in the making ( and I mean true AAA games like final fantasy etc ) then no they can fuck off.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Honestly, I liked the trailer. Was one of the more interesting games. The price tag though...

It might be OK just because it's a launch title and people want next gen games to play on their next gen system.

Yoboman

Great stuff

And the balls on this guy to call David Jaffe of all people and say he's not a big fan of destruction derby

Thats like telling Kojima you're not a fan of stealth

MastaKiiLA

$70 isn't the issue. If a game is worth $60, it's worth $70. It just has to be worth buying, period. The video doesn't provide enough information to determine that yet. I don't go based on one guy's beta feedback. Especially when he struggles to clearly describe what each mode entailed. I'd much rather we get some extended gameplay footage.

That said, this game will probably need some good AI to allow it to stand alone as a single player game, because even if it was modestly popular at launch, there's just going to be a limited online userbase for various regions of the world. Cobbling together a group of players for a session might not be very easy. Hopefully there's less emphasis on teamwork, so that public lobbies work well. That's the thing that might make me hesitate, even if the game looks fun. If the AI isn't up to snuff, the game might struggle.

Oh well, I'll worry about that after we see some real gameplay footage. The game has to be fun first and foremost. After that, I can worry about the logistics of multiplayer. Twisted Metal was a great game with or without multiplayer. That's what DAS has to be shooting for.

Yoboman

$70 isn't the issue. If a game is worth $60, it's worth $70. It just has to be worth buying, period. The video doesn't provide enough information to determine that yet. I don't go based on one guy's beta feedback. Especially when he struggles to clearly describe what each mode entailed. I'd much rather we get some extended gameplay footage.

That said, this game will probably need some good AI to allow it to stand alone as a single player game, because even if it was modestly popular at launch, there's just going to be a limited online userbase for various regions of the world. Cobbling together a group of players for a session might not be very easy. Hopefully there's less emphasis on teamwork, so that public lobbies work well. That's the thing that might make me hesitate, even if the game looks fun. If the AI isn't up to snuff, the game might struggle.

Oh well, I'll worry about that after we see some real gameplay footage. The game has to be fun first and foremost. After that, I can worry about the logistics of multiplayer. Twisted Metal was a great game with or without multiplayer. That's what DAS has to be shooting for.
I think it can be worth $60 but still be under the wrong monetisation model or just the wrong price point

These types of games, priority number 1 should be to get people in the door. A month on PS Plus for launch would have made so much sense if Sony paid any attention to Rocket League and Fall Guys

FranXico

Ok, that said:

With that price tag, they're sending the game out to die. And it's a crying shame.

Grinchy

Banned
I kept wondering why they haven't been able to show us any kind of deep dive into this game. The reveal looked so interesting, but then the reality of a $70 price tag combined with a lack of any concrete info or gameplay footage makes it hard to trust a preorder.

So this is really cool info to hear.

UnNamed

Banned
It'a a launch game and still nobody have an idea what this game is about since there's no gameplay videos or official info: Twisted Metal? Rocket League? Carmageddon?

Ok, that said:

Thanks for posting. Literally zero information out about the game, like you said.

It sounds fun, and a mechanics driven, gameplay focused game is exactly the kind of thing Sony rarely seems to do these days and something they need. But that price tag is absurd. No way.

JimiNutz

Banned
I think the concept sounds cool but it seems like Sony is sending this game to die.

This is actually the only Sony published game for PS5 that's a true next gen exclusive (Demon's Souls is a remake, Miles & Sackboy are both cross gen). It's also a brand new IP.

Sony should be pushing this game hard - especially if they want to charge us full price for it. The fact that we know so little about it so close to launch is awful marketing.

I really hope we see more of this soon as at the moment it's the only launch game that I'm really interested in.

Hunnybun

I like the look of the game but I have to go with the consensus that it's going to die at $70.

What are they thinking with that price point? They may as well just not bother releasing it.

Surely these kind of online games need a different pricing model? And not necessarily free to play, but they have to have a low barrier to entry because player base is so key and they therefore tend to either die quickly or grow exponentially.

You should be able to pay a monthly fee or something, and perhaps offer a week's free trial. Then once you've spent $70 or whatever in total fees the game is yours to keep. I dunno, something.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Zero interest and I hate the aesthetic mixed with SJW characters. That girl Harmony needs to go on a serious diet.

trikster40

Not a fan of the $70 just because it’s next-gen. You still gotta make something that’s worth that price, and games that are built around multiplayer and community are tough sells at $70. Not sure it’s going to stay fun single-player.

Game looks like fun, but as many others said, maybe $40 fun. $70 should be reserved for AAA stuff like Horizon, Ratchet, GoW, etc.

I

Skyfox

I don’t think this game will survive at that price tag, it needs to launch on PS+ and even that is no guarantee since they’ve gone woke.
Hadn't noticed that it was woke... I just thought it looked like that mech PSVR game, Rigs's style of arcadey future graphics mixed with destruction derby gameplay or something.

I've looked at the character roster (which I dont really care about too much) now though and it does seem to have a lot of "diversity" so I'll have to keep an eye out.

This happened to me with world war z and fortnite where they forced me into a diverse character and wouldn't let me choose just a normal dude. Feels like they're being too pushy instead of having actual equal representation.

Like games where all the characters have all this work put into their look but the white male looks ugly and no style.

I don't understand this constant need to alienate straight white men.

Sethbacca

I was pretty hype for this on the initial reveal, but the lack of gameplay has me feeling like they don't have confidence in this game less than a month from release. I've already placed any preorders and spent any money I'm going to, so they're too little too late at this point.

SilentUser

Not my type of game and I don't see it being a hit, to be honest, but I could be wrong. Would love to have a new Twisted Metal à lá TM2, though.

So summary
  • Game was played over a year ago
  • Game tester doesn't think games worth $70...felt like Rocket League tier price wise
  • Didn't like some game modes
  • didnt think it was a ps5 game..thought it was a ps4 game
  • is worried about this game

i preordered it as i enjoy these quirky bleeding edge type games but i just hope they polish it after release

Roufianos

It looks interesting but if that's the best you can say about a £70 game then it's in seriously falling short. If it was £35 or so then I think it would sell a lot as an impulse buy.

Anyway, thanks for sharing Jaffe. You should pimp your content more often.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I'm having a lot of trouble understanding this price thing.

I don't play games because of their price. I play games to have fun.

There were numerous AAA $60 dollar games this gen that I quit after 5 or 10 unenjoyable hours.

Then there's free or lower budget games that I enjoyed for 20, 200, or 2,000+ hours.

Why are we not assessing a games value based on the fun it provides?

Andodalf

Banned
I'm having a lot of trouble understanding this price thing.

I don't play games because of their price. I play games to have fun.

There were numerous AAA $60 dollar games this gen that I quit after 5 or 10 unenjoyable hours.

Then there's free or lower budget games that I enjoyed for 20, 200, or 2,000+ hours.

Why are we not assessing a games value based on the fun it provides?

You price this at 70$ because it’s going to fail anyway and it helps justify your remasters being at 70$

Agent X

Nice video, davidjaffe davidjaffe ! You asked the tester some very good questions.

I hope Sony gives a deeper look at the game soon. Like several other users here, I think it looks cool, but I'm not convinced that it's "$70 cool".

Isn't that playtester breaking some sort of NDA here?

Surely he is, but at the same time he's evidently behind a screen of anonymity, so he probably feels safe in disclosing this info without fear of repercussions.

This looks like a fun $30 dollars game at most, I even thought it was going to be a free to play with microtransactions or something.
Sony should of made it multi only, cosmetic dlc, and a launch ps+ game for the ps5. As it is, it looks like more a$50 title. This $70 price tag definitely isn't helping it.

Not commenting on the game quality myself, but here's a possible theory. What if the game ends up being an early PS Plus (or PS Now) offering? Sony could advertise, "Hey, kids! You could pay $70 for this game at the store, or pay much less to get our service and play this $70 game for FREE!"

As qiqiqiiq qiqiqiiq pointed out, the retail price might be a lot more attractive at $30, but slapping a significantly higher price tag on it could serve to make PS Plus/PS Now look like a "better deal".

Top Bottom