• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Destructoid] Leaked photo of NX controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oersted

The Rosti clarification sure sounds like he's confirming it. He calls it a "leak", he says that people (I'm assuming Nintendo people) are upset about it, and references/compares it to leaks that happened earlier this year. Sounds like he personally doesn't know what it is but that people in-the-know aren't happy.

Remember the NX survey leak? I know that people in the know where upset about it because it does not represent NX, but people mistook it for being actual NX info. It is not upset about a leak, it is upset about wrong info getting spread.

Isn't this device supposed to be android based and potentially use mobile processors like the snapdragon 820 plus coprocessor?

Just saying it might be real.

No, no and no.

No, it doesn't confirm this as fake. The perspective of the screen matches the perspective of the photo.

But, among other things, the image doesn't seem to be larger on the left side and smaller on the right side as we would expect it to be given the angle of the prototype. It perfectly matches the flat image. Not to mention for some reason the image is significantly cropped.

Pokemaniac

The angle of the screen in the picture dictates how the screen shot is lined up/distorted confirming this a fake right?

It's less the angle and more that the portion of the image shown on the device is super weird and off center, making it seem like the existing image was shopped onto the "screen".

Isn't this device supposed to be android based and potentially use mobile processors like the snapdragon 820 plus coprocessor?

Just saying it might be real.

Literally none of what you said is in any way confirmed. There was one rumor that mentioned Android, but that source can be a bit hit or miss.

Aces&Eights

Well, I've got to leave teamreal with the above synopsis of the situation. Rats, I was kind of liking the thing, too.

Wish I was a fly in the wall in the Nintendo bunker. There are some pissed off suits for sure.

So, about ps4.5...

Well, I've got to leave teamreal with the above synopsis of the situation. Rats, I was kind of liking the thing, too.

Wish I was a fly in the wall in the Nintendo bunker. There are some pissed off suits for sure.

So, about ps4.5...
Since they made the patent they may very well be using the tech, just not like that

Ugh. Why do this? Outside of the initial wow factor what can this possibly add to the experience other than the feeling that your hands are covering up part of the screen space? I've never enjoyed playing in a touch screen with virtual sticks for the same reason (and others of course).

So again, why? Surely this gimmick will just increase cost with no benefit to the game experience.

dtm808

Literally none of what you said is in any way confirmed. There was one rumor that mentioned Android, but that source can be a bit hit or miss.

Iwata in the investor meeting talked about how he wants Nintendo's ecosystem to be like Android and IOS in terms of how everything works on the OS regardless of hardware and form factors etc. As for them using ARM architecture, its possible but Iwata never stated anything about architecture of future hardware.

Neoxon

I mean, the general consensus seems to have moved back to false and the source has been silent since last night. Unless there's new info, there's not really much to discuss anymore.
This, plus the inconsistency that was brought up concerning the angle of the image on the supposed screen.

Iwata in the investor meeting talked about how he wants Nintendo's ecosystem to be like Android and IOS in terms of how everything works on the OS regardless of hardware and form factors etc. As for them using ARM architecture, its possible but Iwata never stated anything about architecture of future hardware.
Well he was the one who said that he wanted the console & handheld to be "like brothers", so both using ARM makes sense.

The image on the screen is definitely fake in my book, or at least with regards to it not being actually what was rendered on the screen when the photo was taken. I guess it's still possible that the actual prototype is real and is an early version of the controller/handheld being planned, but I don't know why someone would add on a fake screen element to it. I guess they were trying to add some more legitimacy to it or throw people slightly off the right trail so the whole thing isn't leaked? It all seems a bit strange to me...

Pokemaniac

I was the referring to Nikkei on the Android thing. The comments from Iwata were just using Android as an example.

ARM is a very likely guess based on what we know but there is really nothing definitive on that front.

Papacheeks

Banned
It just means Nintendo will never be able to attract the audience that's into Ass Creed, GTA, Witcher, etc. which is true.

So if NX is successful it'll be like a Wii situation.

Who says they can't with new IP's and third party exclusives that might scratch that itch that are only available on their system?

Imagine if someone like CD PROJECT RED made a exclusive for NX? People would flock to it. People in poland would buy it. People into western RPG;s would be into it.

It's Nintendo's problem since genesis days. They only make and have games only they deem worthy or ones that fall in line with what they want in their library. Taking away choice, diversity.

How many M rated games does Nintendo have on their store? How many hard M rated INDIE GAMES do they promote hard with an AMiibo?

Banned
Has John Harker, ShockingAlberto or Matt posted in this thread?

Given Rosti's frustrations and the lack of the above...we can only infer that Root Beer is the best soft drink ever.
Alberto has but he doesn't know anything about it I believe. Matt and Harker have avoided this like the plague :p

Max_Po

Banned
Who says they can't with new IP's and third party exclusives that might scratch that itch that are only available on their system?

Imagine if someone like CD PROJECT RED made a exclusive for NX? People would flock to it. People in poland would buy it. People into western RPG;s would be into it.

It's Nintendo's problem since genesis days. They only make and have games only they deem worthy or ones that fall in line with what they want in their library. Taking away choice, diversity.

How many M rated games does Nintendo have on their store? How many hard M rated INDIE GAMES do they promote hard with an AMiibo?

Heys lets put a witcher game exclusively on NX...next morning million people lining outside gamespot/ebgames around the world trading in their playstations and xboxes and people from their houses throwing their 980 tis in recycle bin...everything we have been doing is wrong... lets buy Nintendo... all hail nintnedo... thanks Nintendo for inventing saveing and progressing gaming.....

Yay

Banned
"Reggie is this an NX prototype?"

Nintendo doesn't comment on rumor or speculation.

"It's not a rumor, it's a picture of what looks like an exact mockup of one of Nintendo's controller patents. Is this the NX's controller or is it the handheld?"

A4FDJdN.gif

If Nintendo doesnt give a date for the reveal soon , one day a leak will reveal it for them.

Tends to happen to everything. Xbox One and PS4 had their specs leaked, we pretty much know almost everything about the iPhone 7 and even the Wii U had the gamepad leaked out by Nikkei since the system was rumored. It happens.

Orayn

"Reggie is this an NX prototype?"

Nintendo doesn't comment on rumor or speculation.

"It's not a rumor, it's a picture of what looks like an exact mockup of one of Nintendo's controller patents. Is this the NX's controller or is it the handheld?"

A4FDJdN.gif

Looking exactly like the patent drawings makes it less likely to be real, not more. They're rough illustrations of a concept, not schematics of an upcoming product.

I think it's fake because the "leaker's" story doesn't make any sense to me. (S)he goes to another studio where an NX dev kit is sitting out in the open and running an UE4 demo with no one watching it so (s)he writes a cute note, snaps a picture of it, then creates a reddit account to share it with the world. It's just not believable.

dtm808

I was the referring to Nikkei on the Android thing. The comments from Iwata were just using Android as an example.

ARM is a very likely guess based on what we know but there is really nothing definitive on that front.

Gotcha. Yeah i wouldn't be surprised at all. Either ARM or x86 would be great for devs since they are the two standards rn.

Doctre81

Is the image really being cropped or is that just a real time demo where you can move the camera around from the built in gyros?

Orayn

Is the image really being cropped or is that just a real time demo where you can move the camera around from the built in gyros?

The fact that it matches up so perfectly with a single frame is an indication that the camera isn't being controlled.

Picture examples in patents are typically rough sketches, by whatever patent lawyer is filing, of a basic concept in practice. Consumer products don't look like these sketches.

The amount of times this needs to be pointed out to the teamreal crowd is hilarious.

On top of this, I've contacted several indie developers who may or may not be be developing NX games, who all said the same thing...

Picture examples in patents are typically rough sketches, by whatever patent lawyer is filing, of a basic concept in practice. Consumer products don't look like these sketches.

The amount of times this needs to be pointed out to the teamreal crowd is hilarious.

On top of this, I've contacted several indie developers who may or may not be be developing NX games, whole all said the same thing...

What else do they say? :p

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
How is this thread still up. Did I miss something? Please tell me that image is still fake and no new info came out.

jax

Banned
Even if it is fake, the patent sure isn't. And the image is dangerously close to the patent. I'm hyped for NX in any form it takes as long as we get a new Animal Crossing game out of it. :)

Pokemaniac

Even if it is fake, the patent sure isn't. And the image is dangerously close to the patent. I'm hyped for NX in any form it takes as long as we get a new Animal Crossing game out of it. :)

That's actually a mark against it. The patent drawings typically show pretty minimalist implementations of the technologies, which would look substantially different when they reach the market.

That's not to say that the tech won't be used, but, if it is, it probably won't look this close to the patent drawings.

Banned
Companies put out red herring patents all the time to throw off the competition. It means nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom