• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Destructoid] Leaked photo of NX controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Yes, but where do you see devs putting these buttons? The sticks will determine how much space your thumbs have from the stick to the buttons, and why would you not just use a standard button layout?

Wont most devs put their buttons exactly the same place?

besides, the true innovation for this gen is paddles, damn it. I want a future where I dont have to take my thumbs off the sticks

As stated numerous times in this thread: what would stop devs from allowing players to put the buttons wherever they want?

Kjell

This is the exact frame that was used. You can tell from the various parallax elements that converge at that moment ( pillars, branches etc. ).

IFQjguB.png

Quick & dirty perspective overlay ( close enough though ) ...

h1KxzWr.gif

The_Lump

Banned
I get what you mean, but the picture that the poster I quoted showed with the prototype overlayed on the original demo match up basically perfect, so I doubt there is another point in the demo where it's the same scene but much more focused so that the screen on the prototype represents the entire image minus oval cropping. It's possible I guess, but it would take some mental gymnastics.

Of course I'm not an expert on any of these issues. Just seems like common sense to me.

I think the amount of screen being lost in that scenario would render the device utterly unusable though. So I'm inclined to think that's not the case here.

a916

They were supposed to learn that it's not because you put a gimmick in your console that it'll sell. It has nothing to do with power, it has to do with the selling point. Wii was an amazing thing and a true innovation. This one, if real, seems to be as good as the candy lips in that Simpson picture. That's just a silly gimmick that is funny for 5 minutes. Wow ! You can move the uncomfortable buttons depending of your game !

If that's Nintendo's secret they kept away because they were affraid of competition stealing it... Wow, I'm dead laughing.

You also make it hard for big publishers to port their games over if they have to put more effort into a smaller user base with a special gimmick they need to take care of that will be forced and shoehorned in.

Not saying it's true, but having that sort of thing probably doesn't make them happy.

Luigiv

It's like an ultra-wide format. You have 16:9 in the middle, plus a little extra on the sides. If the edges get covered up, it doesn't affect the gameplay, because all the action is in the middle. Further, the amount that gets covered is 10% or so (guesstimate).

That's exactly the point I'm trying to make. So why is the demo's field of view so pitifully tiny? It doesn't demonstrate this ideal at all.

ekim

This is the exact frame that was used. You can tell from the various parallax elements that converge at that moment ( pillars, branches etc. ).

IFQjguB.png

h1KxzWr.gif

This lines up perfectly though.

How convincing does "the games are fun" sound to you?

They'd have to be pretty damn fun.

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't a bad comment about the console, just "evidence" of it not being the same tech demo.

With the drastically scaled down field of view and the simpler geometry and lighting, I could see this being the handheld version. I can also see the argument that this is the console controller that retains Wii U functionality and you're using the controller as an accessory to the main game on your TV.

In the latter scenario, the question is how much different the UE4 tech demo on the controller is from the version on the TV. A drastic difference in visual quality might be off-putting if I frequently need to use the controller to view my environment.

They don't match up at all. Look at 3 stones on the right. They are in a completely different position.

It's not perfect, but the stone column and the face to the right of it are pretty close and are at just a slightly different perspective as well as the rocks on the left matching up. I certainly think it's much more likely that the picture is a frame or two different but more or less the same image versus it either being a different demo (which I think is wrong) or another point in the demo where it is very, very similar (doubt it).

5cWMuao.png

Here's a visual demonstration of how I see it all working. Basically the buttons labeled "A" and "B" are not physical, the screen uses haptic feedback to make virtual buttons feel like physical ones so each game can have its own setup. As you can see in the image Super Mario 3D World is limited to just run and jump as those are the only inputs the game uses, other games might have 4 virtual buttons or 6 or 12. Whether a Dpad will be in the final product is interesting, perhaps the exchangeable buttons patent we saw? We could even switch the analog sticks for circle pads to benefit portability.

Kssio_Aug

That's fake. It's ugly as fuck and looks too much like the patent (they always rework the patent).

Maybe it wasn't heavily photoshoped, but they could have just sticked a decal in that thing and take a photo.

Jackano

Since this thread is still alive, I better post something.
So let's be crazy for a second and assume this fa... pic features free form display + haptic.

What's innovative in that? 2nd screen on controller isn't new. Free form display alone isn't an innovation, at least in the form pictured here.
So people assumed there is haptic too for the buttons... This could be innovative, but, in the form shown today, it is just an overpriced idea on top of a bad idea, to make it look a bit less bad. Can't be less Nintendo than that.

A traditionnal, square haptic screen will be all the next controller (and handheld) will need to be innovative enough.

Most devs will take the easiest route, just as they ignored DS/3DS touchscreens, as they ignored Wii U Gamepad, as they ignored Kinect/PS Camera, as they ignored PS4's touchpad, as they ignored Vita's touchpads.

A few would make some great software and Nintendo would do some great things with it. And, imo, that would be enough to make it, at the least, memorable, as with games that utilized DS/3DS features, and so on.

I genuinely cannot see any real world application of haptic feedback that would be considered interesting.

Placing a button anywhere on the screen...what's the point? I mean, at the end of the day, it's just a button on a pad. What's the point of haptic feedback?

Yeah, most third party and probably even first party will put buttons right below the right stick.

Where else realistically can they put it?

I dont think this will be haptic feedback because the sticks make it incredibly hard. I mean, if this was a slab of a screen with no sticks, I could see haptic feedback for a universal TV remote, that can also become an iphone game controller, or a braille reader.

But those sticks make it awfully hard to imagine any position other than "Standard Gaming Controller, Place thumbs here". In which case, there is no "hook" here for Nintendo. It's just a reimagined WiiU controller. Not a bad thing btw, but this haptic feedback thing makes no sense to me.

I'm still thinking that those are physical A and B buttons, and that the rest of those buttons are simply underneath the touchscreen.

This means these buttons can be pressed, but their display can also be changed, since it's underneath a screen.

oti

Banned
That argument didn't convince most people to buy a Wii U.

I know. I mean here for us and when it comes to their weird hardware. I'm sure people reacted to DS and Wii the same way back in the day.

Though to be fair, physical buttons is where I draw the line. I love Mario games and I just can't imagine them without the precise controls only physical buttons can offer. So if it really is just a screen and two analog sticks it will be a very hard sell even for me.

IFQjguB.png

h1KxzWr.gif

Obama.jpg

I was getting worried DetectiveGAF was gonna fail us...

doop_

Banned
I think this is real after the Rosti post in have full confidence this is real. Looks super awesome so excited for reveal.

IFQjguB.png

h1KxzWr.gif
Yeah, that matches up perfectly....weird that it's so zoomed. Make is seem pretty fake if it's not

The_Lump

Banned

IFQjguB.png

h1KxzWr.gif

Seems almost perfect.

Still curious to see how this part lines up though (then I can put my theory to bed!)
KxZLxzp.jpg

This is from 7 seconds into the video, I've not cropped it at all.

I genuinely cannot see any real world application of haptic feedback that would be considered interesting.

It lets them achieve multiple face input layouts without locking anyone - Nintendo, third-party developers, or consumers, all of whom may have preferences for certain kinds of games - into any particular one.

Innovation is when Nintendo ADD inputs. Not remove them.

The entire face of the controller being a touch screen means unlimited inputs, and no fixed input layout aside from the sticks and rear inputs.

Exactly. The innovation in controller design is lacking on most consoles today. Input devices need to change. Imagine if the Atari one button joystick wouldn't have evolved or changed? Or that Nintendo wouldn't have made the d-pad or introduced the first console controller with an analog stick. Heck, look at computer gaming too. It has been stuck with either Xbox 360 controller or keyboard and mouse. Along comes the Steam Controller and adds far more possibilities and options than those two input devices.

I am all for radical changes with input devices. Otherwise we still would be playing the same kind of limited games that used the original Atari 2600 joystick.

Innovation is when Nintendo ADD inputs. Not remove them.

I remember an article where ninty said they wanted to surprise gamers again. Well, this certainly does that.

If this stuff is true, we'd have the freaking sticks on the screen itself. Looks horrible if you ask me.

oti

Banned
That is a completely meaningless label though. Some of you guys seem to live in a time warp where it's always 1995.

All I'm saying is that for me Nintendo makes the best games and I'm OK with their weird hardware as long as it's the only way I can play their games.

KingV

IFQjguB.png

h1KxzWr.gif

Nice find. I thought it was a poorly lit picture of several burritos.

RootCause

5cWMuao.png

Here's a visual demonstration of how I see it all working. Basically the buttons labeled "A" and "B" are not physical, the screen uses haptic feedback to make virtual buttons feel like physical ones so each game can have its own setup. As you can see in the image Super Mario 3D World is limited to just run and jump as those are the only inputs the game uses, other games make have 4 virtual buttons or 6 or 12. Whether a Dpad will be in the final product is interesting, perhaps the exchangeable buttons patent we saw? We could even switch the analog sticks for circle pads to benefit portability.
The sticks covering luigi's head, and the goomba. Yep, exactly what I feared.

I think the amount of screen being lost in that scenario would render the device utterly unusable though. So I'm inclined to think that's not the case here.

Well, considering that I'm in the "it's fake" camp it makes sense to me. Regardless, I think it's important for us to get clarification if it's reasonable for a demo to be scaled in the manner that we are seeing.

To me it is simple, either the prototype is real and for some reason it is scaling the demo in a very weird (to me) way, or it is fake and the image was cropped.

EDIT: The only thing that makes sense given our evidence is that the position the prototype is being held dictates what part of an image you see. In that case, it kind of makes sense why it would be so focused and at an odd angle. But that seems a little far fetched.

Oh man. They're going to try to sell this in as AR aren't they.

Yep, there were some patents a while back that hinted at AR stuff. It would align with their stance on VR not being very social to try and push social AR interaction as well.

A proper Pokemon Snap game with the existing Wii U GamePad would be amazing. Nintendo didn't bother to make one, though.

Pokemon Snap Wii U never happened and I'm still salty.

I feel your pain but now's our chance to dream!

What, using gyros for camera movement?

Smartphone games have done that for years and so did the 3DS and Vita in some cases. It's really not that new. Eventually we figured out that spinning around in your chair trying to find the thing you're looking for just isn't fun gameplay.

The concept is similar but that's not really what I'm talking about. How I'm imagining it, It'd be like taking a camera, zooming it in some and pointing it at the television as opposed to it being 360 degrees around you.

beril

IFQjguB.png

h1KxzWr.gif

Ok this points heavily towards it being fake. It'd be very weird to crop the camera like that in a demo

jblank83

That's exactly the point I'm trying to make. So why is the demo's field of view so pitifully tiny? It doesn't demonstrate this ideal at all.

Making the assumption that this is real, which is not at all certain, it could just be a quick and dirty testing of functionality.

ZOONAMI

Y1GkW7T.gif

I made a little animation showing the NX controller and that Unreal Engine 4 image. Interesting stuff!

This to me confirms this is fake. Someone did exactly what you did here and made a fake screen. It's an elaborate 3d printed fake, imo.

The_Lump

Banned
Well, considering that I'm in the "it's fake" camp it makes sense to me. Regardless, I think it's important for us to get clarification if it's reasonable for a demo to be scaled in the manner that we are seeing.

To me it is simple, either the prototype is real and for some reason it is scaling the demo in a very weird (to me) way, or it is fake and the image was cropped.

Yeah you're absolutely right.

This line-up if correct has me leaning back towards fake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom