• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Destructoid] Leaked photo of NX controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banned
This is the exact frame that was used. You can tell from the various parallax elements that converge at that moment ( pillars, branches etc. ).

IFQjguB.png

Quick & dirty perspective overlay ( close enough though ) ...

h1KxzWr.gif
If it was real the whole image would crop while keeping the same aspect ratio would it not? This looks like the guy just took the picture and pasted it into the NX screen area without resizing.

Fake confirmed.

jblank83

Whether this is is fake or not, I hope Nintendo's next handheld does include all buttons. I will never get used to clumsy touch controls.

Let's assume they do showcase a new screen based controller.

I see no reason they would not also have a "Pro Controller" just as they did with Wii U. The market demands it and Nintendo obviously listens to that.

Innovation is when Nintendo ADD inputs. Not remove them.
I am not going to argue about physical buttons versus touch display buttons with haptics. To me haptics are the future of innovation. A place between touch screen and and an actual button with the added benefit of customization. This tech will work wonders on the NX as well as mobile, PC, and VR. I have tried haptic feedback on the Steam Controller and I love it. As an example, I played various 2D platformers with the left trackpad. With haptic feedback set on high I was able to get used to it in about a week. I set it up like an oldschool d-pad and now it feels great to me. I have the feedback on medium now and can even play it well on low, but I quite like the sensation the feedback gives me so I am comfortable with it on medium.

Edit-corrected some typos and some other info.

georly

Why is everyone thinking about that when it seems obvious, if such a tech was used, it would be more for something like that.

NXdemo.jpg

And the portable would have a smaller version of it to replace the bottom screen of the 3ds.

I'm assuming this *IS* the portable. Would be really dumb to be wii u 2 with what seems like a worse (and waaaaaaay more expensive) gamepad. NX would be 400-500+ at launch.

About the tech demo. It's interesting that the picture used is an exact replica of one found in a youtube video and doesn't show anything new to the left or right and it's off centered. Also being able to match up a picture perfectly with an off screen picture at an angle of the controller/handheld doesn't sound right

yeah, if it's an interactive tech demo, that doesn't sound right to me.

Assuming this isn't fake -- Wouldn't the design of this work perfectly with a Virtual Reality headset?

Basically they have something that can connect to a TV, go mobile, and also work in VR?

Is that assuming this is the handheld?

That's nonsense, that fov is simply too small for it's own good. Fine details don't account for much when you can barely see anything in the frame. Also there's no reason for the horizontal fov to be smaller than the default 16:9 frame. Not to mention it's freaking off-centre but still perspective correct with the corresponding screen grab, which is impossible unless it was cropped from a larger image. Shifting the camera's position would change the perspective (also if you were going to mess around with the camera, it wouldn't be that hard to also fix the fov while you were at it).

I'll take your word for it.

jax

Banned
I am not going to argue about physical buttons verses touch display buttons with haptics. To me haptics are the future of innovation. A place between touch screen and and an actual button. This will work wonders on the NX as well as mobil, PC, and VR. I have tried haptic feedback on the Steam Controller and I love it. As an example, I played various 2D platformers with the right trackpad. With haptic feedback set on high I was able to get used to it in about a week. I set it up like an oldschool d-pad and now it feels great to me. I have the feedback on medium now and can even play it well on low, but I quite like the sensation the feedback gives me so I am comfortable with it on medium.
100% this. But I don't think a lot of people have tried the Steam Controller so they're probably unaware of how advanced haptics or paddles completely revolutionize how controllers work.

Interative demos can come with a rolling showcase

People keep saying this, but actually think about it.

So in part of the demo you can move the camera around and maybe even zoom in. Fine. But how does that explain the still of the UE4 demo matching perfectly with the prototype image? If it was during the fly around, that proves that the image was cropped. If it was during the portion where you control the camera, why does it match so perfectly with the still?

C'mon GAF!

jblank83

If it was real the whole image would crop while keeping the same aspect ratio would it not? This looks like the guy just took the picture and pasted it into the NX screen area without resizing.

Fake confirmed.

Yeah, I'm satisfied.

Ejecting topiX

Alright, this thread is a more thrilling VR experience of a rollercoaster, than a VR rollercoaster demo!

As of now, theres 50:50 chance of one of the following to happen:

- A dev is going to get fired and is going to face the ultimate Ninja-Lawyer storm.

- A Rösti is going to face Bish's virtual angry fist of a god.

Did i get everything so far?

Ansatz

Those problems you are describing are not at all why the Wii U flopped so hard. Creating an "evolution" of a product that the market so quickly and decisively rejected seems pretty damn foolish.

The only relevant pieces of information needed to predict what the NX is are the statements from Iwata and what he considers were the reasons for the failiure.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/02/satoru_iwata_outlines_belief_that_continuing_with_hardware_and_software_will_amplify_nintendos_strengths

Entertainment flourishes when consumers are faced with something that they did not know that they wanted, so it is my view that the entertainment industry is slightly different from others

leading a software-only business would only put us at a big disadvantage, which is another reason why we insist on our integrated hardware-software model

On the other hand, the integrated hardware-software model has a significant handicap today, as the traditional way of explicitly telling consumers the investment they need to put in to buy hardware and software now comes across as being relatively more expensive due to changes in our environment

Although people may actually be spending more money (to play games on other devices not dedicated to video games), it is less visible, so the hurdle we have to clear in order to encourage them to purchase dedicated game systems has comparatively become higher

If it is real...

I guess I'm more interested in it than I ever was in the Wii U. Their streaming tablet controller was so uninspiring that I forgot the system was even releases until I walked into a Best Buy a few weeks before launch and saw the demo kiosks in the store, and I'm usually someone who buys all Nintendo consoles day one.

But I'm really not sure if I'll like the removal of face buttons from the controller. I'm willing to try something different (the Steam Controller is definitely cool, and I've barely dived into everything it can do yet), but if I don't like the main input method for the system, it'll be another generation where I don't enjoy playing Nintendo games as much as I could be (never loved the pointer and waggle in the Mario Galaxy games either, or the waggle in DCK:R).

Maiar_m

I wish people who don't understand people can like both the mainstream way to do things (PSBONE) and a very different approach (this). Yeah it's not ergonomically perfect and probably fake, but seriously I'm really rooting for Nintendo to keep pushing stuff I can't get elsewhere. I don't understand how some of you can pretend you like gaming when all you really do love is a specific, close-minded brand of it. It's like saying you love gaming because you've played solitaire on WIndows 95...

Luigiv

Isn't this the same tech demo?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7Ffk1gihcQ

Shows that you can interact with it, and move the camera around, which would lead to it being more real and explain why it only shows a portion of it.

That's not how perspective works. Walking up closer to something with give you a noticeably different perspective to an off-centre crop of a frame from further out. Not to mention the full frame we have is from the flyby mode which would be even harder to replicate by walking around.

If it is real...

I guess I'm more interested in it than I ever was in the Wii U. Their streaming tablet controller was so uninspiring that I forgot the system was even releases until I walked into a Best Buy a few weeks before launch and saw the demo kiosks in the store, and I'm usually someone who buys all Nintendo consoles day one.

But I'm really not sure if I'll like the removal of face buttons from the controller. I'm willing to try something different (the Steam Controller is definitely cool, and I've barely dived into everything it can do yet), but if I don't like the main input method for the system, it'll be another generation where I don't enjoy playing Nintendo games as much as I could be (never loved the pointer and waggle in the Mario Galaxy games either, or the waggle in DCK:R).

I'm curious, what about this makes you more interested in it than when you learned about the Wii U?

RootCause

I wish people who don't understand people can like both the mainstream way to do things (PSBONE) and a very different approach (this). Yeah it's not ergonomically perfect and probably fake, but seriously I'm really rooting for Nintendo to keep pushing stuff I can't get elsewhere. I don't understand how some of you can pretend you like gaming when all you really do love is a specific, close-minded brand of it. It's like saying you love gaming because you've played solitaire on WIndows 95...
Well I dunno. I've been playing on touchscreen only devices for a couple of years. I guess I'm beyond open minded. 😏

catbrush

Fake confirmed.

Not necessarily. Moving to wider resolutions wouldn't necessarily increase the FOV.

Random speculation with no evidence: the camera could track your face, and the distance you hold it from your face could alter the game's FOV on the fly.

Gyroscope for positioning + face tracking = holding a portal into another world.

Team real, but who knows.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Assuming this isn't fake -- Wouldn't the design of this work perfectly with a Virtual Reality headset?

Basically they have something that can connect to a TV, go mobile, and also work in VR?

Nothing about it is good for VR. I can't even begin to comprehend how you think that thing would slide into a GearVR or whatever and react to lenses.

Why is everyone thinking about that when it seems obvious, if such a tech was used, it would be more for something like that.

NXdemo.jpg

And the portable would have a smaller version of it to replace the bottom screen of the 3ds.

"Ah yes, the reason WiiU failed is because of the Gamepad's shape. People don't like rectangular products anymore!"

Honome

I'd be happy. But that would be expensive.

Yeah, price would really be a problem with this hybrid model, but we still don´t know if they intend to do a console as powerful as a PS4 or XBO, they may keep (again) the specs low in favor of the price and the hybrid concept.

Peru

Love it.. we got a half-hearted power point slide-fake a couple of weeks ago, but this thing is more like it. Now we're getting real with our pre-reveal fake leaks and 'word on the street' reports. Making a physical fake is a nice touch.

All this mystery, hell we don't even know if this is just going to be it or if there will also be a console. It really wouldn't hurt to just say something Nintendo.

Not necessarily. Moving to wider resolutions wouldn't necessarily increase the FOV.

Random speculation with no evidence: the camera could track your face, and the distance you hold it from your face could alter the game's FOV on the fly.

Team real, but who knows.

yeah that's something I have been speculating, the put out a patent for a tv version of that and have tech to do it in the new 3DS.

Doubling the horizontal fov is not something you should expect in all games, especially demanding ones.

AniHawk

"Ah yes, the reason WiiU failed is because of the Gamepad's shape. People don't like rectangular products anymore!"

it's probably something industrial and basic for development purposes. probably not a final design if it is real. the wii u gamepad changed from dev kit to e3 2011 to e3 2012.

All these wild emotions later, and I'm still of the "fake until proven real" persuasion. Very entertaining, though.

Neither Nintendo nor the leaker have spoken on this, so...the rollercoaster continues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom