• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Destructoid] Leaked photo of NX controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malus

Given how disastrous the Wii U was, I can't see them at least not being a bit more conservative on the controller.

If anything I think the opposite. I remember the Wii U Gamepad being thought of as 'conservative' in the sense that it was just a combination of old ideas (dual screen, touch screen, etc.)

Wouldn't surprise me at all if they tried to step it up a notch in the weirdness factor. Though getting rid of physical buttons is that last thing I'd expect, and even if this is real I still think physical buttons will make it into the final cut.

TLZ

Banned
3EFRl5l.jpg

via the NX subreddit. did it come from here?

Multipurpose use confirmed.

Why can't Nintendo just announce it already. Nintendo haven't actually announced anything new since 2014
(unless you count the abominations that are Amiibo Festival, Tri Force Heroes, Federation Force, and Color Splash)

Yrael

This is such an enormous thread that I thought I'd collect a few of the "turning points" for newcomers.

The original source of this is Idriss2Dev on Reddit, who appears to express some doubt about it:

Actual source: https://www.reddit.com/user/Idriss2Dev

And according to him:

Haptic buttons on screen, joystick force feedback, 2 buttons in top analog "roll" like a computer mouse... she's pretty cool and new.

Original source is here on reddit btw: https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoNX/comments/4avdcg/codename_nx/

The "leaker" is commenting there a bit. Says he "may" make a video tomorrow.

While there's no individual detail that's completely damning, this has sketchy written all over it. Of particular note is the odd button layout with no rhyme or reason, this being too close to the patent, and the poster of the leak, theirself, said this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoNX/comments/4avdcg/codename_nx/d13wy42?context=3

I'm just not seeing this as very likely right now.

For sake of convenience:

Rösti weighs in:

Rösti;198593439 said:
2e6465736f707865206e65656220544f4e206576616820646c756f68732073696854

(Translation from Hex to Ascii: ".desopxe neeb TON evah dluohs sihT", or read backwards: "This should have NOT been exposed.")

The origin of the image on the screen is found to be an Unreal Engine 4 tech demo:

Not sure if this has been posted yet but the image on the screen is from about 6 seconds into this tech demo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=31&v=LMcscM_Hogc

Edit:

Double Edit: A user on the IGN forums spotted this not me
http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/rumor-nintendo-nx-controller-leaked-photos.454729709/page-3

Comparisons made showing that it is a perfect crop:

Y1GkW7T.gif

I made a little animation showing the NX controller and that Unreal Engine 4 image. Interesting stuff!

This is the exact frame that was used. You can tell from the various parallax elements that converge at that moment ( pillars, branches etc. ).

IFQjguB.png

Quick & dirty perspective overlay ( close enough though ) ...

h1KxzWr.gif

Rösti clarifies further:

Rösti;198611791 said:
Alright, alright, I will provide you a brief elucidation. What the embodiment in the image is representative of I do not know, it may or may not be a prototype related to the project of interest, it may or may not be a final design to the consumer. What I do know is what I originally said, and that x distinguished excellencies/individuals have expressed indignation about this situation (and earlier events this year). I have full trust in my source. These leaks are unfortunate.

I have no intention to troll anyone or cause a commotion. My original post was primarily a way for me to express my thoughts about this. While it is of course nice to have something to discuss in terms of NX, I am hoping that future stories of this calibre house less harmful properties. I have faith in this clarification providing sufficient eligibility.

I think that's mostly it?

KageZero

This is deep on so many levels. Is it optimistic because he's leaving the Wii U in the rear view or pessimistic because all this kid sees is a reflection of failure, abandonment, loneliness...his true self?
He is leaving his past behind and cruising into a bright future ahead of him(he hopes at least its bright)

Malus

The Rosti clarification sure sounds like he's confirming it. He calls it a "leak", he says that people (I'm assuming Nintendo people) are upset about it, and references/compares it to leaks that happened earlier this year. Sounds like he personally doesn't know what it is but that people in-the-know aren't happy.

MegalonJJ

Banned
Has John Harker, ShockingAlberto or Matt posted in this thread?

Given Rosti's frustrations and the lack of the above...we can only infer that Root Beer is the best soft drink ever.

ZOONAMI

Alberto's post is sounding like a heavy deflection. He knows something...

Sounds to me he's basically saying it's fake. Sounds like he thinks it's possible there may be a legit mockup prototype of the patent out there somewhere, but that he thinks the odds of it existing (hence bigfoot), much less being leaked like this, are slim to none.

If this controller is legit and this is the system's main draw... I am slightly disappointed. The third straight console from Nintendo with the focus on an input gimmick. At the same time - how much would the NX cost? This tech doesn't look cheap and Nintendo is known to try and keep costs low. Still a lot of questions that we really do need answers for soon.

It's a few pages into here I think
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?p=151082789#post151082789

It just says it'll be more than you (the thread creator?) think, but less than others expect. Idk how much can be read into that, especially if the screen has a funny shape. And it wasn't clear to me if Matt is speaking from knowledge or just saying something reasonable, I'm not too familiar with his posts.

Great, thanks again!
I'm not the thread creator though :)

That image posted in the op, reminds me of my 2016 Honda Civic LX speedometer. A round display that reminds me of the rumor about Nintendo looking into tech displayed by Sharp at a CES or two that allowed you to shape the screen.

MAX PAYMENT

Looks too similar to the patent, I think it would be silly to reveal the actual product trough a patent.

I don't think the general public keeps it's eyes on patents. Same goes with leaked console information. It could easily still be a surprising reveal to everyone other than hardcore game forum scanners.

TLZ

Banned
This is such an enormous thread that I thought I'd collect a few of the "turning points" for newcomers.

Thanks a lot Yrael.

The last image has sort of confirmed it a fake for me.

The fact the image on the leaked product looks cropped from the full Unreal 4 demo image and slapped on the leaked product's screen instead of the full image being reduced to fit the leaked product's screen, tells me it's a fake. Whether the actual demo was played on the leaked product or just a youtube video being played on it, we should still be seeing the whole image on it, not just a cropped part.

BrunoM

That image posted in the op, reminds me of my 2016 Honda Civic LX speedometer. A round display that reminds me of the rumor about Nintendo looking into tech displayed by Sharp at a CES or two that allowed you to shape the screen.
Yeah same thing g that cake to my mind when I first looked at ...
Followed by WTF Nintendo if this is true wtf I want real buttons

tebunker

Banned
Right now I am kind of in the camp that it is a real something, like it was or is a prototype or demo design. It still doesn't look 100% done. I am also in the camp that the image on the screen is fake andnwas places on there to give the prototype more credibility.

I think both of those things play in to what Rosti was saying. This thing wasnt meant for public eyes and it shouldn't be done like this. It really hurts the people working on the project.

As for what it really is, I'd be cool if the buttons are actually indented or raised and you can map the buttons however you want on screen.

If this really was an idea or a prototype it will be interesting to see what Nintendo finally came up with from here.

Nemecyst

Real or fake, this isn't a good thing for Nintendo. I can see why they'd be pissed. There's a wrench in your messaging, monkey.

Thanks a lot Yrael.

The last image has sort of confirmed it a fake for me.

The fact the image on the leaked product looks cropped from the full Unreal 4 demo image and slapped on the leaked product's screen instead of the full image being reduced to fit the leaked product's screen, tells me it's a fake. Whether the actual demo was played on the leaked product or just a youtube video being played on it, we should still be seeing the whole image on it, not just a cropped part.

It makes sense, I guess.

Kandinsky

This is the exact frame that was used. You can tell from the various parallax elements that converge at that moment ( pillars, branches etc. ).

IFQjguB.png

h1KxzWr.gif

I was #teamreal until this, I mean due to perspective (look at the sticks) it should not line up perfectly as it does.

delta_reg

I don't think it's real. The lighting and screen just don't look quite right to me. It's almost impressive how good of a fake this was, though, assuming it is in fact fake. I feel it's quite possible this image has helped to mentally prepare us for what Nintendo will actually reveal with the NX, just by us having a better image representation of their patents they filed.

fernoca

Keeping in mind that if it was a realtime demo, the camera could be moved around to test buttons, sensors, etc.

But I'm #TeamWhatever. :p

This thread has shown me that whatever NX is Nintendo needs to announce it ASAP. If they don't want to announce it this month because Mobile, Mynintendo, etc... then they should at the very least announce the date when they will reveal more details about NX. It seems like it's time to start showing something.

Neoxon

IFQjguB.png

h1KxzWr.gif
Yeah, it shouldn't be lined up as well as it is here given the perspective. I'm leaning more towards #TeamFake, now.

cyba89

Seems the reddit guy didn't came back to provide more material, yet.
After considering everything we have here (including the UE4-screens and Rösti posts) I'm strongly leaning towards #TeamFake and wait for E3 where we will get a proper reveal.

Neoxon

After considering everything we have here (including the UE4-screens and Rösti posts) I'm strongly leaning towards #TeamFake and wait for E3 where we will get a proper reveal.
We could get a proper reveal sooner (April, May), so Nintendo won't have to compete with VR & whatnot.
I don't get why everyone expects to hear nothing until E3, which would be cutting it extremely close in terms of getting the hype cycle going.

Rodin

Added the hands to my mock up. I think it look nice.. like something futuristic. Starting to like the idea a lot.

2AlzoTS.jpg
I like it a lot too. Touch buttons with haptic feedback would be a "?", but without at least seeing how Nintendo wants to implement them it's a bit early to write them off completely. I expressed doubts about them in the past, when the patent showed up on gaf, because i thought it was uncomfortable to use touch buttons while looking at another screen, so i can see some of the criticism, but 93 pages of doom because of something that we don't even know if it's true (let alone how it actually works) sounds a bit like overreaction.

IFQjguB.png

h1KxzWr.gif
The angle of the screen in the picture dictates how the screen shot is lined up/distorted confirming this a fake right?

I love that people are already warming up to the idea when thinking of possibilities with this controller. Even if this is the NX, it's a small chance this will be the final design.
I'm also still not convinced though.

Pokemaniac

I think an April/May reveal is probably more likely. The thing might actually leak if they wait until E3 proper, and unveiling the system early can preemptively capture people's attention and will let them focus more on games at E3.

Isn't this device supposed to be android based and potentially use mobile processors like the snapdragon 820 plus coprocessor?

Just saying it might be real.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom