• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destructoid: PS4 controller prototype & devkit photo, [Up: New Photo/Info In OP]

kvn

We all love leaks, but honestly, whoever took and distributed this picture is a real asshole. Corporate espionage and distribution of trade secrets is no laughing matter.

No higher-up at a company with access to a dev kit would leak this. It most certainly came from a low level employee trying to become e-famous on the web... That person will obviously be tracked down and fired and Sony would certainly have the ability to take legal action (though it would gain them nothing).

Anyone with access to a Dev kid would have obviously signed a Non-disclosure agreement. I suppose the source of the leak doesn't quite take his/her contract seriously.

Who cares? In my opinion this corporate secrecy bullshit is even more retarded.

EagleEyes

I'd say the hardcore will be more than pleased seeing as how even if all those things are ignored it's still fully usable as a normal controller.
Do you really think that if Sony put the effort to implement these things in their new controller that they will be ignored?

1-D_FTW

But could you still use bumpers with your right hand while doing that?

Sure. Palm placement on the right grip changes a little from the side to a more top part resting position, but it would definitely work for me. I don't think it's any less comfortable than the other position. And I hate dual sticks for FPS games. So a lateral move in the comfort department would have me switching in a heartbeat.

Pachimari

I hope that the LED light can be turned off or isn't turned on when not in use. Sometimes I just want to play in a dark room without ANY light, especially while wearing a HMZ-T1 with no pads underneath.

I'm not too find of the speaker as well. I thought it was a cool idea with the Wii but the sounds from it were low quality, kind of made it feel like a toy.

The Game

Like the controller, I just hope they didn't change it much for final design, 5 days to find out, cant wait to see design changes on ms controller as well.

1-D_FTW

Technically you can use a speaker as a mic. It would be nice if you could use it as a mic unless the game decided it wanted it as a dedicated speaker (never).

VanWinkle

Well, Digital Foundry just said it's a speaker. It also looks like a speakers. Mics are tiny.

Yeah looks like a speaker to me. Although that doesn't automatically rule out a microphone on the controller. Could be on the bottom side next to the thing that looks like a headphone port.

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I'm still thinking I'd prefer to see the touchpad in space between/below the twin sticks. My thumbs are the ones trained for aiming and they won't reach over the sticks as easily as just shifting below them. While I've never been any kind of proponent for the asymmetrical stick layout of xbox controller before, introducing the touchpad arguably gives a good reason for Sony to implement that now, for better access.

So this new controller has a touchpad, motion control and a speaker on it? Surely the hardcore crowd can't be pleased with all these gimmicks on their controller. :p
Expands the developer's palette, w/o messing with the traditional options. So far, nothing to really be displeased about. I guess price is the main ? that could throw a fly in the ointment.

Well, Digital Foundry just said it's a speaker. It also looks like a speakers. Mics are tiny.

Mics and speakers are the same thing. As far as I can tell Digital Foundry are just identifying things by looking at them like the rest of us. I guess the size of it depends on the quality they want either in or out.

Naked Lunch

The touch screen is 100% unnecessary - pointless clutter on a dual shock that already felt cramped with its analog stick placement. Awful.

1-D_FTW

The touch screen is 100% unnecessary - pointless clutter on a dual shock that already felt cramped with its analog stick placement. Awful.

It's a good thing they didn't make it rounder and fatter then. Cause that would have made it more comfortable than the old models. Nope. Glad they didn't do that.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
why do i need a speaker on the controller?? not saying i dont...just not sure why i do...whats the application here
I really liked the use of the Wii-mote speaker in SMG1 and 2. I guess you could call it a gimmick, but I think it can certainly add to gameplay and Im glad it's there.

Prototype controller.

Does not mean the final product will have a speaker integrated.

I think a speaker is probably one of the large features Sony is wanting to incorporate into the DS4, for whatever reason. Also:

Sources have claimed it's an early, clumsy prototype but our understanding is that these are more recent than many claim, looking rather portly owing to the angle the picture was shot at. While this is not final production hardware, it is probably a fairly close approximation of the controller that Orbis is set to ship with.

So this new controller has a touchpad, motion control and a speaker on it? Surely the hardcore crowd can't be pleased with all these gimmicks on their controller. :p

its actually quite amazing when you consider this is possibly all in one controller instead of extra peripherals.

Saty

Our sources confirm that what you're actually looking at is a complete Orbis dev kit - our first look at what we believe is advanced development hardware. The Dual Shock 4 prototype itself is a significant leap beyond its predecessor, featuring a two-point touchpad interface and, in addition, a built-in loudspeaker and what we understand to be integrated PlayStation Move functionality.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-orbis-dual-shock-4-leak-analysis

Sigh... relax man we have been having leaks for a while now, I am actually surprised it took this long.

what are you sighing about. i acknowledge i like getting fresh info... that doesn't change the fact that the people who leak this stuff and unprofessional and should loose their job.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Are there any speculations about the led strip at the back? Is its purpose to act as a Move controller? But it so it would be pretty uncomfortable to wave this controller around with one hand, so what's exactly a use case for it?

odhiex

why do i need a speaker on the controller?? not saying i dont...just not sure why i do...whats the application here

Just imagine if the touch pad was actually a finger scanner..then it could scan your thumbs, and then controller greet you and say "good morning agent "your username"..what do you want to play?"

Yeah...gimmicks but funny tho

Glassboy

I think the controller looks sexy as hell. I would be ok if this is the final version. The only reason I still have LIVE is because I like playing BLOPS with the 360 controller because of the concave sticks. I just want to hold it!

mocoworm

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-orbis-dual-shock-4-leak-analysis

By Richard Leadbetter Published Friday, 15 February 2013

Destructoid's PlayStation 4 controller image leak is more significant than overnight reports have suggested. Our sources confirm that what you're actually looking at is a complete Orbis dev kit - our first look at what we believe is advanced development hardware. The Dual Shock 4 prototype itself is a significant leap beyond its predecessor, featuring a two-point touchpad interface and, in addition, a built-in loudspeaker and what we understand to be integrated PlayStation Move functionality.

The dev kit itself is a big old beast, but that's nothing new. The development versions of Sony hardware are historically rather immense compared to the production systems, as you can see from these shots of PS3 dev kits. Indeed, the Orbis kit looks surprisingly svelte by comparison.

The custom casing won't give us too many hints on the form factor of the final console, but we'd imagine that the two USB 3.0 slots will make their way across to the production machine and we're fairly sure that's a standard slot-loading 50GB Blu-ray drive based on information from our sources. The two black "bumpers" on each end of the casing are interesting - initially we thought they may be elements of the much-rumoured dual camera system, but the reality is probably more mundane - we reckon they form part of the WiFi and Bluetooth antenna assembly. Next to the right bumper we see a range of embedded status indicator LEDs - this is standard equipment for Sony development hardware: variations are seen on both PS3 and even Vita dev kits.

But yes, clearly it's the controller that is the star of this particular leak as opposed to a PC-like metal box. Sources have claimed it's an early, clumsy prototype but our understanding is that these are more recent than many claim, looking rather portly owing to the angle the picture was shot at. While this is not final production hardware, it is probably a fairly close approximation of the controller that Orbis is set to ship with. From our perspective it's potentially a very exciting piece of hardware, bearing many of the hallmarks of design work from PlayStation Move creator Dr Richard Marks and his R&D team at SCEA.

There are two major headline features here. First up, there's the touchpad integrated into the face of the controller (there's no corresponding touch interface on the back). It's a two-point multi-touch interface similar to the rear pad on PlayStation Vita, and should allow for finer, more granular control than the less sensitive analogue sticks - think of the minute movements required for lining up a head-shot, for example.

Refining the interface in this way is perfectly consistent with what Richard Marks told us back at E3 2010:

"In one of his books, Isaac Asimov talks about the difference between humans and animals and he believes it's our hands that make us different, more than our brains," he said.

"Most people say it's the brain that's so much better, but he says it's the hands. He says that the ultimate interface to a computer isn't a probe that jacks into your head, it's where you insert your hands into this device... you have so much fidelity with your fingers and wrists. It's such a high dynamic input..."

A closer link to the work of Marks and his team can be seen in the big blue rectangular light on the top of the pad, strongly suggesting that not only will PlayStation Move return for Orbis, it will actually be integrated into the Dual Shock itself. This is big news, having important ramifications for other areas of the system. The original iteration of Move was an ingenious design: PlayStation Eye locked onto the glowing sphere via calibration and then judged depth owing to the size of the sphere in its 2D field of view. The closer the sphere, the bigger it would be on the camera image and no matter which way you held the controller, the PS3 would still be able to lock on it as the shape of the sphere would not change, only its size. Clearly things have altered with the new Dual Shock.

Orbis is said to ship with a dual camera set-up - right now, this is just a theory but our best guess is that Dual Shock 4 calibrates itself with the cameras in a similar way to PS3 Move, but in the absence of a constant glowing sphere to lock onto, the dual cams track the rectangular light, with the difference between the two perspectives used to judge depth. Details on the dual cam set-up are thin on the ground at the moment, but this looks like an ingenious way to offer Kinect-style functionality without infringing Microsoft's patents. Other elements of controller orientation could be ascertained in exactly the same way they are in PlayStation Vita - the motion sensor and gyroscope technology in the handheld is more than up to the task.

We can identify other interesting elements on the Dual Shock 4 prototype too. Yes, that is a Wii-style integrated loudspeaker directly above the PlayStation logo on the pad, while the little bump directly beneath it is a headphone (or perhaps a headset) jack. We can safely assume that the Bluetooth/USB connectivity of the existing DS3 remains the primary interface to the system itself.

So this latest in a long line of leaks is definitely our first look at the real deal. Bearing in mind that we're just five days away from the official Orbis reveal, we can imagine that Sony isn't very happy about this at all and will clearly be looking to track down the source of the photo. Quite where it hails from is a mystery, though the development studio in question is clearly in possession of quite a bit of Nintendo dev hardware. Sitting directly on top of the Orbis kit is what looks like a Wii dev kit (though we've not seen one quite like that before), while to the right, almost out of shot is the back-end of a Wii U test kit - you can see the wired connection to the dev GamePad snaking its way under the Orbis and out of shot to the right. Other than that, clues as to the provenance of this leak are thin on the ground to say the least...

mf.luder

I hope they blow the doors open on the 20th. Although I'm not quite ready to make the jump, I still want to know where we're going.

I want two goddamn ethernet ports!

and another job!

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

EagleEyes

its actually quite amazing when you consider this is possibly all in one controller instead of extra peripherals.
It is great. I'm not trying to be negative on it at all cause I can definitely see myself using it. But at the same time it pretty much confirms that the PS4 will be coming with the dual cameras as a pack in as they wouldn't just provide the motion controller without the cameras. It also pretty much confirms that the PS4 will have just as many "gimmicks' as the other consoles will have. Sony won't let developers just ignore all this new tech they've put in the controller either because unlike the Move this is not an add on, this will be in every PS4 sold. And to be clear, i'm not trying to be negative as i think all this new stuff is great for both the new Xbox and PS4 but the reality is that both of them are going to a lot more similar then people think.

Vinci

Danish
Yeah. That... Is Certainly a DualShock with a touchpad on it. I'm fairly disappointed frankly, but I guess I'll reserve judgement till the 20th.

Who cares? In my opinion this corporate secrecy bullshit is even more retarded.

go tell that to aerospace, automotive, defense, and tech industries... just because a lot of gamers are kid's who don't understand what business is, doesn't mean the industry should operate any differently than the rest of the corporate world.

Liamario

Banned
The controller bits are all legit. Including the speaker that will be used for some neat things. Most importantly is that it feels great in your hands and the triggers and d-pad are perfect. Analog has no dead zones which kills the DS3 automatically for shooters alone with that fact. Every game should control better with this pad.

Can't say anything on the dev kit though.

So you've used this prototype or the finished article OR you're just speculating?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Yeah. That... Is Certainly a DualShock with a touchpad on it. I'm fairly disappointed frankly, but I guess I'll reserve judgement till the 20th.

Not much can be said but control options are improved greatly without compromising much of the dual shock integrity. If things that I'm hearing are true then people will really like how you can play games with the thing and what it brings to the overall control of the OS and the system itself.

So you've used this prototype or the finished article OR you're just speculating?

When I say something like that, I don't speculate. Just wait and see for yourself.

Top Bottom