• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destructoid: PS4 controller prototype & devkit photo, [Up: New Photo/Info In OP]

waypoetic

Banned
Here's the final version of it

84735926236c31ff856bo.jpg

so you guys with 2 foot fingers can have amazing grip on it.

You forgot the 360 pad

Liamario

Banned
Not much can be said but control options are improved greatly without compromising much of the dual shock integrity. If things that I'm hearing are true then people will really like how you can play games with the thing and what it brings to the overall control of the OS and the system itself.

When I say something like that, I don't speculate. Just wait and see for yourself.

Cool. I just wanted clarification :)

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I'm surprised no one hasn't done a finalized mockup render

THE:MILKMAN

Not much can be said but control options are improved greatly without compromising much of the dual shock integrity. If things that I'm hearing are true then people will really like how you can play games with the thing and what it brings to the overall control of the OS and the system itself.

I'm liking the sound of this. Hopefully, this is all demonstrated on Wednesday.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I'm liking the sound of this. Hopefully, this is all demonstrated on Wednesday.

I don't expect all the little intricate things to come out. It may be more about the HW reveal and maybe some games but just temper expectations on how much info we will receive on the technical specs. I'm hoping they say something.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Maybe this was discuesed already, but can someone enlighten me, why would a controller need speakers?

Wii Remote does it. It could just be a prototype thing. None of the leaks from before have mentioned speaker functionality, although it's not exactly exciting so it may have just gotten lost in the shuffle.

Sid

It is great. I'm not trying to be negative on it at all cause I can definitely see myself using it. But at the same time it pretty much confirms that the PS4 will be coming with the dual cameras as a pack in as they wouldn't just provide the motion controller without the cameras. It also pretty much confirms that the PS4 will have just as many "gimmicks' as the other consoles will have. Sony won't let developers just ignore all this new tech they've put in the controller either because unlike the Move this is not an add on, this will be in every PS4 sold. And to be clear, i'm not trying to be negative as i think all this new stuff is great for both the new Xbox and PS4 but the reality is that both of them are going to a lot more similar then people think.
Sixaxis wasn't an add on either.

kadotsu

Banned
I hope that the touchpad will be mostly used for OS tasks. Stuff like: Swipe left for friendslist, swipe right for messages etc. I don't want this to become another Sixaxis.

quest

Not Banned from OT
I just don't see how I can use the touch pad with out putting the controller on my lap. If games use it I might be out next generation. They should of over hauled the controller if they wanted to add a touch pad. This would of been a good time to fix the ergonomics of it. Looks like the most uncomfortable controller ever if you need to use the track pad in any game.

zoukka

They're not selling the DS3 at any kind of loss. The DS2 was also expensive until they stopped making them, at least how I remember it.

Yeah they are milking consumers with peripherals like crazy. Remember the memorycard prices in the ps2 gen sweet jesus!

And this is true to all manufacturers. Wiimote without a nunchuk is 60 fucking euros again thanks to Wii U.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
It is great. I'm not trying to be negative on it at all cause I can definitely see myself using it. But at the same time it pretty much confirms that the PS4 will be coming with the dual cameras as a pack in as they wouldn't just provide the motion controller without the cameras. It also pretty much confirms that the PS4 will have just as many "gimmicks' as the other consoles will have. Sony won't let developers just ignore all this new tech they've put in the controller either because unlike the Move this is not an add on, this will be in every PS4 sold. And to be clear, i'm not trying to be negative as i think all this new stuff is great for both the new Xbox and PS4 but the reality is that both of them are going to a lot more similar then people think.

The camera things with move can be like gimmicks but the touch based additions can enhance games a lot and not be intrusive or hard to use. It's not like you need some Kinect full body sensor to track you. You will be able to swipe or press the touch pad without having to even look at the remote. Gimmick is a word that should be carefully used as each system will have them but the implementation in terms of gaming and their inherited convenience of use will separate something like a Kinect from this pad here.

Good thing the Durango will still use a pad of some form so we musn't panic yet on Durango.

Violater

what are you sighing about. i acknowledge i like getting fresh info... that doesn't change the fact that the people who leak this stuff and unprofessional and should loose their job.

when_someone_is_wrong.gif

Far be it from me to ever wish this on someone in this economy over something that isn't life threatening.
We have had bigger leaks about the next gen consoles and it has not brought the companies down.
Relax and enjoy the ride.

jaypah

I liked it yesterday, I love it today. I showed my fiancé last night and she got so hyped, lol. Snatched my phone out of my hand, "fuck that, the day preorders go up we are there!". She likes all of our consoles/PC equally but she was a playstation kid so...yeah.

what are you sighing about. i acknowledge i like getting fresh info... that doesn't change the fact that the people who leak this stuff and unprofessional and should loose their job.

Nope. If the leaks are malicious I could understand that. However leaking a picture less than a week away from what is highly believed to be the official announcement is nothing to fire someone over. There is nothing in that picture that wouldn't be immediately discernible once the actual controller is shown during the conference.

Now the spec leaks for the systems.. that's a bit more of a grey area. Depending on timing and specifics of the leak.. it could potentially do some harm, so I would understand being fired for that stuff.

I just don't see how I can use the touch pad with out putting the controller on my lap. If games use it I might be out next generation. They should of over hauled the controller if they wanted to add a touch pad. This would of been a good time to fix the ergonomics of it. Looks like the most uncomfortable controller ever if you need to use the track pad in any game.
Damn, that's harsh. You can use the touchpad with your thumbs. It's probably not meant to be used like a laptop.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
As far as I can see, if you hold a controller 'as normal', using the right stick for aiming, you have simultaneous access to L1 and L2 with your right hand.

If you use the touchpad instead, to use it comfortably, you would lose access to L2 and R2 but you gain access to the pad's click. Which would be enough for point and shoot.

Meanwhile your left hand can be doing all the same things with the left side of the controller that it always would (i.e. character strafing, forward, backwards etc.)

I remember when rumours about Vita's rear touch came out, I decided to try some FPS games on my laptop trackpad. I was much more competent than I am with an analog stick for aiming. Particularly for very subtle, fine-grained changes to aim. With a fixed trackpad size for games to work around I think it could be very interesting. (Of course, in Vita's case it turned out that it was very difficult to use the reartouch while keeping simultaneous access to a button, for firing or whatever. But PS4's pad doesn't have that problem).

I think Sony will keep it simpler than that. You want basic motion - eg a spot of gyro assist like Uncharted - then use the default controller. You want to play tennis or sword fighting? you can do that, but we recommend you buy the Move accessories for greater immersion.

^ random, throwaway post, confirmed.
I see what you did there.....clever

The Xbox 360 controller with transforming d-pad sells for $55. Clearly this controller packs in more technology so estimation above $54 seems reasonable.

Then you look at Sony Vita memory cards which sell at extremely high markup costs. All companies sell their peripherals at ridiculous profit margins. Is it really hard to imagine Sony releasing a controller around the $75-100 range?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
What's a 50GB bluray drive? I thought the PS3 could even play 100GB discs if they bothered to make them?

PS3 can go only go up to 50. I bet Sony will do whatever they did with the PS3 so that they can use a firmware update to upgrade it's support/output other types of blu-rays. PS3 getting 3D support in a firmware update was huge.

THE:MILKMAN

I don't expect all the little intricate things to come out. It may be more about the HW reveal and maybe some games but just temper expectations on how much info we will receive on the technical specs. I'm hoping they say something.

Oh I don't expect tech specs, but a quick demo of what's new wouldn't hurt. I know you said you can't talk about the dev kit but do you know if its final? It looks really nice for a dev kit!

I see what you did there.....clever

The Xbox 360 controller with transforming d-pad sells for $55. Clearly this controller packs in more technology so estimation above $54 seems reasonable.

Then you look at Sony Vita memory cards which sell at extremely high markup costs. All companies sell their peripherals at ridiculous profit margins. Is it really hard to imagine Sony releasing a controller around the $75-100 range?
It's very hard to imagine, especially if that's the default controller. No company would be that misinformed.

BadWolf

Definitely feels like they threw the kitchen sink at the controller with all the added features, which goes hand in hand with what they said about wanting to increase the number of ways with which you can interact with the console.

The good part is that its still very similar in look (and probably feel) of the controller that we are used to so even if some of those features don't pan out then it won't be a big loss.

todahawk

when_someone_is_wrong.gif

Far be it from me to ever wish this on someone in this economy over something that isn't life threatening.
We have had bigger leaks about the next gen consoles and it has not brought the companies down.
Relax and enjoy the ride.

OMG, perfect!

So let's see, we have the likely unveiling on the 20th, does anyone think this was really an accidental 'leak'? It was a controlled leak to get the forums and media all frothy.
This is essentially the teaser trailer before the full blow preview.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
OMG, perfect!

So let's see, we have the likely unveiling on the 20th, does anyone think this was really an accidental 'leak'? It was a controlled leak to get the forums and media all frothy.

I don't think it was a controlled leak, just one someone wasn't too worried about doing since we'll be seeing the controller in a few days anyway.

Nintendo did it with the Wii U.
The Wii U pad is far, far more complex and advanced than this is.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Damn, that's harsh. You can use the touchpad with your thumbs. It's probably not meant to be used like a laptop.

I tried it with a DS 3 still got to change grips to use thumbs not acceptable for in game use. Also thumb not exactly accurate on a track pad since it is so fat lol. If it for UI that is fine I can deal with it. But in a faster paced game better not be used.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
PS3 can go only go up to 50. I bet Sony will do whatever they did with the PS3 so that they can use a firmware update to upgrade it's support/output other types of blu-rays. PS3 getting 3D support in a firmware update was huge.

The problem is, there isn't a ROM version of BDXL. The read-only specs top out at 50GB. So that's all we're getting for the foreseeable future.

CaptNink

Was hoping they would ape the XBOX layout and swap places with the D-Pad and the left stick. I've never liked the "feel" of the DualShock controllers.

Oh well....first-world problems!

1-D_FTW

I don't think it was a controlled leak, just one someone wasn't too worried about doing since we'll be seeing the controller in a few days anyway.

For sure. That digital foundry article was talking about spotting evidence of Wii and WiiU development gear. If this was a deliberate leak, it would have been an internal leak. This was clearly from some third party.

Top Bottom