• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destructoid: PS4 controller prototype & devkit photo, [Up: New Photo/Info In OP]

Orayn

Honestly how many people use the left analog stick to move? I absolutely hate it and only use it when developers make me.

I have both controllers and when I'm on ps3 I always use the dpad as its more precise and feels more natural. Sony would be stupid to make the analog stick the main input for movement when dpad has proven to work for generations.

On 360, the dpad is shit and not placed well ergonomiclly as the main movement input. The analog stick is the main input and encouraged to be used more but sometimes it feels like you're struggling to get the precision you want.

I think some 360 owners opinion is innocent on this because their dpad sucks and they've used analog for so long placed as the main input movement for your hands. To them, ds3 doesn't make sense cause they think we use analog but in a more awkward precision. You can't blame them for that.

How about any game that has 3D movement? (Meaning >90% of new games.) You're generally not even allowed to use the d-pad for movement outside of fighters and platformers.

BTW, Low chance it will be a touch screen.

My reasoning comes from reports that you can click the area as an input mechanism. That doesn't make a lot of sense for a touch screen, it makes more sense for a touch pad.
i lol'd

Man, that looks pretty damn cool. I want this.
This is incredible and this how I hope it ends up. This is probably the best Sony could do while also keeping the history of their controller intact. It's familiar, yet new.
My friends i have a console to sale you, it's called the Wii U, it's familiar yet new. Incredible, the console get's sh!t from earth to heaven but when my favorite company does it, it's familiar yet new XD

BadWolf

Honestly how many people use the left analog stick to move? I absolutely hate it and only use it when developers make me.

I have both controllers and when I'm on ps3 I always use the dpad as its more precise and feels more natural. Sony would be stupid to make the analog stick the main input for movement when dpad has proven to work for generations.

On 360, the dpad is shit and not placed well ergonomiclly as the main movement input. The analog stick is the main input and encouraged to be used more but sometimes it feels like you're struggling to get the precision you want.

I think some 360 owners opinion is innocent on this because their dpad sucks and they've used analog for so long placed as the main input movement for your hands. To them, ds3 doesn't make sense cause they think we use analog but in a more awkward precision. You can't blame them for that.

I pretty much never use the dpad for movement, not even in fighting games.

Moosichu

For the new page:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-orbis-dual-shock-4-leak-analysis

There are two major headline features here. First up, there's the touchpad integrated into the face of the controller (there's no corresponding touch interface on the back). It's a two-point multi-touch interface similar to the rear pad on PlayStation Vita, and should allow for finer, more granular control than the less sensitive analogue sticks - think of the minute movements required for lining up a head-shot, for example.

Orbis is said to ship with a dual camera set-up - right now, this is just a theory but our best guess is that Dual Shock 4 calibrates itself with the cameras in a similar way to PS3 Move, but in the absence of a constant glowing sphere to lock onto, the dual cams track the rectangular light, with the difference between the two perspectives used to judge depth.

We can identify other interesting elements on the Dual Shock 4 prototype too. Yes, that is a Wii-style integrated loudspeaker directly above the PlayStation logo on the pad, while the little bump directly beneath it is a headphone (or perhaps a headset) jack. We can safely assume that the Bluetooth/USB connectivity of the existing DS3 remains the primary interface to the system itself.

EDIT: This pretty much confirms pad over screen. Interestingly the controller does appear to have speakers and not a microphone as well. Wednesday can't come soon enough.

ebbybeh

Neo Member
The controller reminds me of the Logitech PS2 wireless one that i LOVED.

I approve.

It does look really similar, which I think is its problem. I guess I was hoping for something a bit more unique. I know no one liked the ps3 boomerang controller but at least it had style.

Should be the new port begging. Stick begging.

Yeah, it's really annoying. I never say that the 360 pad layout is wrong, just because I don't like it.

Coming from my previous statement, I just prefer the analog sticks to be symmetrical. It feels perfect and natural to me when it comes to shooters, action games, etc. Also it is a well known fact that the dualshock d-pad is one of the best d-pads out there, so naturally people who haven't become accustomed to it would omit it from their analysis of the dualshock.

waypoetic

Banned

You only play schmups don't you?

nib95

Banned
What is the issue with symmetrical sticks anyway? Neither are actually the natural position, which actually lies somewhere directly in between a symmetrical and symmetrical, but that cannot exist due to having a d pad.

Also, there are game play segments in games that would be order of magnitude harder on a symmetrical sticks, such as the trials in Ni No Kuni, where you have to control two characters simultaneously using the analogues, often mirroring their moves exactly. Much easier to do with symmetrical sticks, which in all honesty I prefer.

Only real unnatural facet of both controllers to me are the placement of all the shoulder buttons, which imo should be further back, with L1/R1 or LB/RB being where L2/R2 currently preside, and L2/R2 being more towards the back of the controller where the middle fingers naturally rest when using the current L2/R2 or LT/RT.

What? Maybe if you're playing 2d games, but in 3d games, analog stick for movement is much more ideal

Comes with multitouch pad. *demonstrates improved OS keyboard, pinch zoom, rotation etc*

Hm, I'm not keen of pinch zoom as it means taking a hand off the controller. I even do 'the claw' on my phone for pinch zoom because I'm too lazy to use my other hand. Useful in browsing I guess.

What? Maybe if you're playing 2d games, but in 3d games, analog stick for movement is much more ideal

A lot of skilled PC players would argue with that, but that's for another time.

I'm glad Sony copied "the speaker in the controller" idea, it was great on Wii when used properly and a higher fidelity implementation of this can only mean better things for games.

wat

Unless you only play fighting games.

Still wat.

Haha I do play fighting games and racing so that affects my views more. I also play some fps and platformers but I only use analog when there's no choice.

I'm not sure why some of you are mentioning 3d movement. Up is up just the same on dpad as it is on analog. Keep in mind I still use the right analog stick to look around in 3d games as you kinda have to which I have no problem with. It's the left analog movement stick I'm talking about.

I really hope they change up the controller for final release. That dumb blue light at the front and those analog thumb sticks are awful.

Oni Jazar

Not sure if it would really work without moving the actual screen.

With just gyro aiming on a pad while looking at a TV, it will not be as easy to judge distance. I think it needs to be the screen that is moved ala Vita.

It would be ok so long as it's for down the sight aiming only. when you're down the sights any tilting motion detected would adjust the aiming accordingly. Would be super awesome to get your precise headshots without having to mess with the stick.

I can't think of a 3rd/1st person shooter that wouldn't benefit from this.

jQB1dpN.jpg

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It would be ok so long as it's for down the sight aiming only. when you're down the sights any tilting motion detected would adjust the aiming accordingly. Would be super awesome to get your precise headshots without having to mess with the stick.

Same. I get the point about you moving the actual screen on the vita, but if the amount of adjust is fixed I think you'd adjust to it really quickly. I'm crap at headshots generally, and even more so on a console with twin sticks, but in uncharted GA I found it really natural.

Wasn't really doable on DS3 due to lack of gyros - the accelerometers wouldn't have given the finesse needed.

Oppo

Haha I do play fighting games and racing so that affects my views more. I also play some fps and platformers but I only use analog when there's no choice.

I'm not sure why some of you are mentioning 3d movement. Up is up just the same on dpad as it is on analog. Keep in mind I still use the right analog stick to look around in 3d games as you kinda have to which I have no problem with. It's the left analog movement stick I'm talking about.

4 cardinal directions with binary range (on/off)

Vs

360° of motion with highly variable range (sneakingwalking/running for example)

meta4

Is it worth it though? I thought the whole point of including move is to lure in the casuals so not sure how this controller is going to help them. It seems to be designed more for the core than the casuals . Something has got to give... There must be something more to the move integration in the controller than meets the eye.

Having messed around a bit with the Wii U pro-controller, I reached the conclusion that placement of sticks doesn't really matter at all. What matters is the overall comfort, ergonomics and feel of of the controller. It's just that the most comfortable controller on the market happens to use offset sticks, so maybe that's why people make a big deal out of it. What makes the 360 controller great is the shape, buttons and ergonomics not the offset sticks.

Having messed around a bit with the Wii U pro-controller, I reached the conclusion that placement of sticks doesn't really matter at all. What matters is the overall comfort, ergonomics and feel of of the controller. It's just that the most comfortable controller on the market happens to use offset sticks, so maybe that's why people make a big deal out of it. What makes the 360 controller great is the shape, buttons and ergonomics not the offset sticks.

^ This guy gets it. Though I still prefer symmetrical because my hands are symmetrical.

-griffy-

Banned
Hm, I'm not keen of pinch zoom as it means taking a hand off the controller. I even do 'the claw' on my phone for pinch zoom because I'm too lazy to use my other hand. Useful in browsing I guess.

A lot of skilled PC players would argue with that, but that's for another time.

Nah, for movement an analog stick can be ideal, but not for aiming. Using WASD is perfectly adequate, but there are real limitations to only digital, on/off movement in only 8 directions. Having a dedicated key to toggle walk/run is one of them. The problem though is how do you use something like an analog stick for movement but still have the freedom of a full keyboard for other actions? That's the tradeoff.

There are also situations where having a digital on/off movement can be ideal, but I think that's more the exception than the rule and comes about because the design of the game is built around keyboard controls. See something like Trackmania and how users design tracks.

Emwitus

Wow. Is this a post from 1999?

4 cardinal directions with binary range (on/off)

Vs

360° of motion with highly variable range (sneakingwalking/running for example)
I see your point. I guess you would need pressure sensitive dpad to have the same potential. For the 360 degrees you can use the right analog. Games don't usually require you to go full circle unless its a quick time event.

Raist

Banned
Haven't been through the whole thread, but it doesn't seem people are discussing the Move-like pannel at the top.

It seems rather difficult to understand how that could be practical for the camera to track this. Doesn't seem to be as efficient as the current move solution.

Haven't been through the whole thread, but it doesn't seem people are discussing the Move-like pannel at the top.

It seems rather difficult to understand how that could be practical for the camera to track this. Doesn't seem to be as efficient as the current move solution.

Hmm?
In those ancient Richard Marks vids people like to post they're tracking cylinders as well as spheres on the PS2.

Raist

Banned
Hmm?
In those ancient Richard Marks vids people like to post they're tracking cylinders as well as spheres on the PS2.

Well that's still at the end of a stick vs on one side of a controller, so there's less liberty of movement without obstructing the camera's view. That's what I mean. Not really the shape of it.

Well that's still at the end of a stick vs on one side of a controller, so there's less liberty of movement without obstructing the camera's view. That's what I mean. Not really the shape of it.

That's true but the design of it is not something you'd swing behind your head, you'll always be vaguely facing the screen and if it's used in a Tumble-like way, it has potential to work well, not that I expect many games to use it. I am curious if fingers could block it or if it'll be perfectly out of the way but besides that it looks like it'll be visible through the best part of 180 degrees.

If you read the digital foundry analyst, they seemed to believe the stereo cameras played a role in offsetting that. Technically it's over my head, but it sounded reasonable enough to work.

True that helps as well, you don't actually need a perfect unobscured shape then, just a cross reference with another camera.

SeriousApes

The form looks nice overall. It looks a bit larger, closer to the 360 controller, with slightly longer and wider grips than the DS3. I like the sticks, they look like they're still convex, but with an added lip for better grip, and they look further apart than the DS3. D pad looks nice. I'm not sure about the new additions like the touch pad, move light, and speaker/mic. I look forward to seeing the finished design. Hope it's more sleek in the final version.

Izick

I had like a bunch of weird mini-dreams last night and one of them I was playing the PS4 (or at least the controller) with a friend, and while it was all really fuzzy I swear to whatever you believe that I remember thinking "oh this d-pad is really nice."

Sony's marketing in my dreams!

1-D_FTW

If you read the digital foundry analyst, they seemed to believe the stereo cameras played a role in offsetting that. Technically it's over my head, but it sounded reasonable enough to work.

Bradach

I like the inclusion of the little speaker. I played through zombiu recently and the gamepad has a little speaker too. One character in the game would speak on a walkie talkie and sound would come through the gamepad. It was a subtle but welcome touch that added to the atmosphere of the game.

Alx

Hmm?

but in those demos, the degrees of freedom were limited, it mostly worked in a vertical 2D plane : height and lateral position of the cylinders, and rotation in that plane. That part is rather easy to do, you only have to extract a 2D blob in the image, and compute its center and main direction.
Tracking depth motion is another story. According to their Eyepad patent, they intend to estimate those motions by analyzing the projected shape of a rectangle, but that method isn't robust to errors in the image. Tracking a sphere is a better solution because there is less ambiguity : the projection of a sphere is always a disk (it's useless for orientation though)

Jack_AG

Banned
I like the inclusion of the little speaker. I played through zombiu recently and the gamepad has a little speaker too. One character in the game would speak on a walkie talkie and sound would come through the gamepad. It was a subtle but welcome touch that added to the atmosphere of the game.

It's all good until you play with a proper set of cans.

Then what does that speaker do for you when you have headphones on? That's an issue. Playing horror games with good sound design on a set of cans is miles ahead of my 5.1 setup. All those little audio details just pop. Hopefully, if it is a speaker and not a mic, you can choose to not use it as a speaker.

onQ123

This reads more like a press release Onq. Im asking for a practical use of tracking the absolute postioning of the Dual Shock. A concrete gameplay example would be nice, in my case i can't wrap my head for a single use that makes sense. Most aplications could be handled by the accelerometers and the gyro, even for something like aiming those would be enough.

Did you not see the 3D sound Patent?

I had like a bunch of weird mini-dreams last night and one of them I was playing the PS4 (or at least the controller) with a friend, and while it was all really fuzzy I swear to whatever you believe that I remember thinking "oh this d-pad is really nice."

Sony's marketing in my dreams!

Now this is 4D.. Unfortunately all my gaming dreams involve old systems...like NES and the Genesis...where power goes out or my sister trips over them and I lose all my progress cause you cannot save..

onQ123

So would this mean we move around ourliving room and the sound reflects that? I'm confused about the gaming implications but its awesome on paper..

With the game having your exact position in the real world & controlling the sound it could make you feel like a Zombie is creeping up on you from behind.

Tobor

That new pic looks incredibly comfortable. I'm actually hoping the final version doesn't change as far as overall shape and style.

Great job, Sony!

Top Bottom