• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destructoid: PS4 controller prototype & devkit photo, [Up: New Photo/Info In OP]

Jack_AG

Banned
To everyone thinking it will be much larger than the DS3 - I line up the Triangle and X buttons:

zl5W1za.png

Not that much bigger. Basically as wide as the bottom legs of the DS3 - maybe 3/4" wider in total.

Perkel

Banned
Sony has no shame. Are they really going to try to sell screens on controllers having seen Nintendo innovate that approach with the WiiU? Ripping off rumble from the N64 controller, motion controls with the Sixaxis, and now SCREENS with this unnamed PS4 controller, I have never been more disappointed. Can they not come up with an innovative idea for once in their companies lives? At least with the Vita they at least tried to innovate with rear touch panel capabilities, but this is just getting ridiculous. Sony I sincerely hope you change your plans while you have the time. Maybe then will I consider dropping money on this travesty.

First meltdown and it is not even 20 !

NekoFever

Blegh at the stick layout.

I'm glad they've revised the D-pad, though. Doing circle motions on the previous style was like rubbing your thumb on a cheese grater. Never understood the praise for it beyond being better than the 360 one.

Jarmel

Banned
To everyone thinking it will be much larger than the DS3 - I line up the Triangle and X buttons:

zl5W1za.png

Not that much bigger. Basically as wide as the bottom legs of the DS3 - maybe 3/4" wider in total.

You measured the perspective correctly right?

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Is it just me or does it look like they widened the distance between the sticks a little? That was one thing I really hoped they would do as I find the current DS sticks just a bit too close together.

edit: beaten by a pic

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
There's a lot of 2D movement options on this controller.

Analog stick.
Touchpad.
Camera pointer.

Going to be interesting to see how devs choose to use them, and for what.

Izick

zl5W1za.png

How are you going to get that perspective down?

zl5W1za.png

a little bit a width can do a lot in regards to comfort.

the wii u pro controller has a similar shape to the 360's but it's just a tad wider and i notice it because it's more comfortable.

sometimes, all it takes is a 1/4" here and a 1/4" there to add a LOT more ergonomics to a design

Lucifon

Looks gimmicky... why the touchpad and speaker?

Sony have a tendency to chuck the kitchen sink in their products and see what sticks then refine later and remove those things - e.g lolaxis.

That said this is a prototype so there's a v.v.likely chance they're just playing around with things to see what devs like and don't like.

Anyone else kind of sad thats NOT a screen?

No, as I learned with my Wii U, I hate looking down at a second screen. Immersion killed. I'm not sold on the touchpad, but I also haven't seen it in use. I blindly assumed the backtouch pad on the Vita would be cool, it wasn't. I look forward to seeing how this one is used.

iavi

Sony stays refusing to get with the program as far as the sticks go. All in all, though, that looks much more comfortable than the DS3. As long as the buttons are as responsive as the DS3, and the sticks are a bit tighter, I'm fully on board with this revision.

Servbot24

Banned
Wait, they're building the Move into the controller? I didn't know this actually. So...how will that work?

Basic gyroscope type functionality I would imagine. More Six-axis gimmicks except it might be less of a pain to get to work this time.

I dunno, it looks like they're deeper and probably have a hand-friendly shape to them now instead of being kinda-conical like the current ones.

Something like this.
From the angle in the protoype they look quite flat, but if they turn out like that image I'll be happy.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
So what functionality is the touch pad supposed to serve then? It doesn't seem practical, unless its just for swiping through the OS?

M.D

Shit, yesterday everybody was saying, "Where are the leaks? This isn't like Sony!".

Look at what you got today.

I honestly hope we don't get any more leaks.
I don't mind the controller since it doesn't seem all that different, but please no more features or games leaks. I want to be surprised and amazed :(

aaaaaa

I like the real, formerly-Nintendo-patented D-pad, and that the should buttons are a little farther back. The face not being raised out is probably a good idea too.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
Share functionality can easily be mapped to the menu that comes up when you hit the PS Button. I don't know why so many are thinking it wont be there now.

pixlexic

Banned
Sony stays refusing to get with the program as far as the sticks go. All in all, though, that looks much more comfortable than the DS3. As long as the buttons are as responsive as the DS3, and the sticks are a bit tighter, I'm fully on board with this revision.

Some people like the stick placement. It was the sensitivity that was the real issue.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
Sony has no shame. Are they really going to try to sell screens on controllers having seen Nintendo innovate that approach with the WiiU? Ripping off rumble from the N64 controller, motion controls with the Sixaxis, and now SCREENS with this unnamed PS4 controller, I have never been more disappointed. Can they not come up with an innovative idea for once in their companies lives? At least with the Vita they at least tried to innovate with rear touch panel capabilities, but this is just getting ridiculous. Sony I sincerely hope you change your plans while you have the time. Maybe then will I consider dropping money on this travesty.

it begins

tCp90.gif

Top Bottom