• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destructoid: PS4 controller prototype & devkit photo, [Up: New Photo/Info In OP]

It's so funny how the media tries to act like they have insider info but we can catch them obviously taking info from other sites seeing how the site they ripped off didn't see the second button, thus they didn't report it either.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
**sees left analog stick placement**

**rolls eyes**
Dude its a PlayStation

Agreed
its becoming annoying, A autoban should be put in place
On topic
If that is a FTF screen not a Pad then I imagine it'll be OS level stuff and none game related, although the size and placement wouldn't be idea for game functions other then a map or something

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Assuming it is a touch screen, and not a touch pad, how much would we guess one of these controllers would cost, stand-alone?

EvB

That would be interesting.

What if you require a PSN account tied to a PS4 for this to work?

Probably not, it makes you think that it is more likely to be a chargeable service. Perhaps single use unlock codes tie the game to your account for both the disc and for the streaming?

I'm sure this is an effort to bulk up the install base of ps4, without having to sell actual ps4s.

Imagine if you can link a ps4 pad to a Sony TV and voila instant ps4!
Sony would be able to make their install base sound very attractive to developers if their games are fully playable beyond PS4.

onQ123

PlayStation 4 Controller's Speaker & Headset jack for 3D Sound? (Sony 3D Sound Patent)

This is also one of the reasons that the controller is being tracked

20130041648-2+small.jpg

20130041648-11+small.jpg

20130041648-10+small.jpg

20130041648-12+small.jpg

20130041648-13+small.jpg

20130041648-3+small.jpg

20130041648-4+small.jpg

20130041648-5+small.jpg

20130041648-14+small.jpg

20130041648-7+small.jpg

20130041648-6+small.jpg

20130041648-8+small.jpg

20130041648-9+small.jpg

20130041648-16+small.jpg

Man

Remote play your PS4 from anywhere in the world. Just bring your PS4 controller (which has stored PSN details) and plug into PC/Mac.
PS4 video encode/decode hardware makes this a trivial feature.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
^ That's interesting. Hopefully they have a nice headset available at launch like the stereo or Pulse ones for the PS3. They're really nice and the integration into the OS is excellent.

iceatcs

I wonder if all the people who prefer symmetrical sticks will go into the durango threads and do this?

Hehe. I suspect it's because there are good number of 360 controller fans really want to play Playstation titles so badly.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It kind of amazes me that people seemingly have no clue that the DS3 already has a gyro. People are taking about fine tuning your aim by moving the controller like you can in Uncharted Vita - yeah, KZ2 already did that. Tracking the PS4 controller's absolute position and orientation rather than just its relative motion could make for some pretty accurate pointing controls though.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Not sure if it's the same patent, but they had one from the middle of last year that used head tracking to augment sound from stereo speakers so that the sounds would appear to come from different points in 3D space. I.e. sort of like surround sound from stereo speakers.

Maybe they could use the speaker on the controller as part of that system too. Knowing the location of the controller, they could feed out other augmented sounds through it to help with that idea of a 3D soundspace.

Laranja

Betting the controller can be connected to a PC (official drivers) for Gaikai streaming.

I still don't understand why they never released DS3 PC drivers. I mean, that would give PC players another option when it comes to gaming controllers at virtually no extra cost for Sony (I think, please correct me if I'm wrong in the assumption that it would have been cheap to develop the drivers). What was there to lose?

Oni Jazar

It kind of amazes me that people seemingly have no clue that the DS3 already has a gyro. People are taking about fine tuning your aim by moving the controller like you can in Uncharted Vita - yeah, KZ2 already did that. Tracking the PS4 controller's absolute position and orientation rather than just its relative motion could make for some pretty accurate pointing controls though.

I've been saying that the Uncharted gyro aiming should be in PS3 shooter games standard. Would have given Sony an edge.

BibiMaghoo

I've been saying that the Uncharted gyro aiming should be in PS3 shooter games standard. Would have given Sony an edge.

Not sure if it would really work without moving the actual screen.

With just gyro aiming on a pad while looking at a TV, it will not be as easy to judge distance. I think it needs to be the screen that is moved ala Vita.

I still don't understand why they never released DS3 PC drivers. I mean, that would give PC players another option when it comes to gaming controllers at virtually no extra cost for Sony (I think, please correct me if I'm wrong in the assumption that it would have been cheap to develop the drivers). What was there to lose?

I think they have to pay money to MS. Mac OS and older versions of Windows immediately recognize a DS3.

I wonder if all the people who prefer symmetrical sticks will go into the durango threads and do this?

I know its getting old and should be an instant ban at this point.....Its ignorant to go into a PlayStation thread and then act surprised that it doesn't have an Xbox controller...

Laranja

I think they have to pay money to MS. Mac OS and older versions of Windows immediately recognize a DS3.

Oh, I didn't know that. Thanks for clearing that up!

I still think Gaikai will be used primarily and exclusively on the PS4 for a few years. They won't want to stress the servers too much, especially when they're just starting to fiddle with streaming games.

If it ever does happen, I believe Sony will only allow PS3 games to be streamed to other devices (including PC) sometime after the PS3 ceases production.

The thing on the controller looks more like a screen than a touchpad anyway. How many touchpads have a glossy finish? It would also be completely useless when it's that small. Having a mini, touch UI on the controller would actually be quite useful. Text input would be way easier, for instance.

^ That's interesting. Hopefully they have a nice headset available at launch like the stereo or Pulse ones for the PS3. They're really nice and the integration into the OS is excellent.

I just bought the wireless stereo headset for ps3, hope that works with ps4, even better without the dongle, but I didn't hear in every single leak about an integrated radio frequency for accessories. Would be cool though.

Boss Man

I know its getting old and should be an instant ban at this point.....Its ignorant to go into a PlayStation thread and then act surprised that it doesn't have an Xbox controller...
What's really funny to me is that a few have been doing this with the Wii U's "sticks at the top" configuration too.

onQ123

& the same people saying it sucks that Sony didn't place the analog sticks in the same place as the 360 controller would also be the same people talking about Sony is copying Microsoft if they would have done it.

i wonder if Sony feels compelled to include some motion control or sixaxis functionality in the new controller for backwards compatibility purposes. like what happens if you're playing killzone 2/3 and all of a sudden you can't set those charges because the controller isn't capable?

I-hate-u

Thank God the left stick and the d-pad are not switched around. I can't imagine pulling off any combos in marvel with them being offset.

Sky Chief

Not sure if it would really work without moving the actual screen.

With just gyro aiming on a pad while looking at a TV, it will not be as easy to judge distance. I think it needs to be the screen that is moved ala Vita.

The good thing is you still have a right analog to move the camera and what is on the screen. The worst thing about traditional Move or Wii pointer controls in TPS/FPS is getting the bounding box to feel right. If pointer controls are built in to a traditional pad like this you can use pointer control for only stuff that is onscreen and right analog to adjust your view. This hybrid scheme is what worked best in U:GA anyway, right analog for large movements and gyro for precision.

I think the touchpad will be used for many things but its inclusion is primarily for use with the Share button / cutting footage /resizing photos etc.

As soon as AMD processor rumor hit, backward compat was dead. A great decision to go with a standard and not cell - bc be damned. But Gaikai was clearly their answer for BC - whether the service is ready to stream ps3 games remains to be seen.

I don't understand why a two handed controller needs a move light, so that will be interesting to see develop. And if those are two cameras on the front, there are interesting possibilities I don't understand.

So, console will ship with a Eye camera (hopefully better resolution) and hopefully a headset, since they're putting the jack on the controller.

Much potential here, just hope these inclusions aren't putting it over $399...

It's extremely limited motion control technology if the hands are not isolated.

You will not be able to play a game like Sports Champions (or Zelda Skyward Sword) with this controller.

Expanded SixAxis functionality doesn't sound very useful.

The move functionality is the most puzzling part of the new controller.
This is what im getting at, some guys jump with positive comments about this yet i've seen one good application for tracking the position of this thing. Had Sony made the controller so it could be taken apart then it would made a ton of sense.
Augmented Reality, Mixed Reality , Virtual Reality & other crazy ideas that Sony have that can make use of having the controller's exact position.

& what if the headset input at the bottom isn't just a headset input? could be a video output for low cost AR glasses or something.
This reads more like a press release Onq. Im asking for a practical use of tracking the absolute postioning of the Dual Shock. A concrete gameplay example would be nice, in my case i can't wrap my head for a single use that makes sense. Most aplications could be handled by the accelerometers and the gyro, even for something like aiming those would be enough.
The most obvious use on a two handed controller is pointing. In Killzone 4 I bet you can aim the controller to get headshots just like gyro aiming in U:GA.
Tilt levels in things like Mutant blobs and lbp too.

Could see some potential for camera control aswel. As in left stick - move, gyro/motion - camera view, which leaves all buttons more accessible instead of having to move from right stick to buttons and back.
Just saw your posts, aiming can be done without the absolute position tracking.
& the same people saying it sucks that Sony didn't place the analog sticks in the same place as the 360 controller would also be the same people talking about Sony is copying Microsoft if they would have done it.
Yet it is a Sony tradition copying the best traits of the competition. That's how things have been with them, so what's the problem if people talked about that? Also Nintendo hadd the sticks in that position maybe a year befor MS.

Anyway i think it makes sense for them to retain the traditional layout.

Moosichu

AFAIK DS3 only has Accelerometers but no Gyros (couldn't find a source showing either though).

Also, this should probably be added to the OP from Eurogamer.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-orbis-dual-shock-4-leak-analysis

There are two major headline features here. First up, there's the touchpad integrated into the face of the controller (there's no corresponding touch interface on the back). It's a two-point multi-touch interface similar to the rear pad on PlayStation Vita, and should allow for finer, more granular control than the less sensitive analogue sticks - think of the minute movements required for lining up a head-shot, for example.

Orbis is said to ship with a dual camera set-up - right now, this is just a theory but our best guess is that Dual Shock 4 calibrates itself with the cameras in a similar way to PS3 Move, but in the absence of a constant glowing sphere to lock onto, the dual cams track the rectangular light, with the difference between the two perspectives used to judge depth.

We can identify other interesting elements on the Dual Shock 4 prototype too. Yes, that is a Wii-style integrated loudspeaker directly above the PlayStation logo on the pad, while the little bump directly beneath it is a headphone (or perhaps a headset) jack. We can safely assume that the Bluetooth/USB connectivity of the existing DS3 remains the primary interface to the system itself.

Man

Kaz presenting PS4 controller:

"Improved ergonomics, triggers and sticks.

Comes with multitouch pad. *demonstrates improved OS keyboard, pinch zoom, rotation etc*

Has absolute 3D tracking thanks to Move technology with the aid of PSEye. The LED can change colors in the RGB spectrum.

Has a speaker and a microphone. Also a headset plug.

The most revolutionary aspect though is something you can't see. Every controller is now tied to your PSN account. Think about the significance of that...

Bring your controller anywhere in the world and simply plug it into a PC, Mac or Mobile via USB. You will now be able to remote play your PS4 from anywhere in the world through a browser. Want to play games not in your possession? Take use of our streaming library encompassing 20 years of PlayStation games.

Boom."

Honestly how many people use the left analog stick to move? I absolutely hate it and only use it when developers make me.

I have both controllers and when I'm on ps3 I always use the dpad as its more precise and feels more natural. Sony would be stupid to make the analog stick the main input for movement when dpad has proven to work for generations.

On 360, the dpad is shit and not placed well ergonomiclly as the main movement input. The analog stick is the main input and encouraged to be used more but sometimes it feels like you're struggling to get the precision you want.

I think some 360 owners opinion is innocent on this because their dpad sucks and they've used analog for so long placed as the main input movement for your hands. To them, ds3 doesn't make sense cause they think we use analog but in a more awkward precision. You can't blame them for that.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Honestly how many people use the left analog stick to move? I absolutely hate it and only use it when developers make me.

I have both controllers and when I'm on ps3 I always use the dpad as its more precise and feels more natural. Sony would be stupid to make the analog stick the main input for movement when dpad has proven to work for generations.

On 360, the dpad is shit and not placed well ergonomiclly as the main movement input. The analog stick is the main input and encouraged to be used more but sometimes it feels like you're struggling to get the precision you want.

I think some 360 owners opinion is innocent on this because their dpad sucks and they've used analog for so long placed as the main input movement for your hands. To them, ds3 doesn't make sense cause they think we use analog but in a more awkward precision. You can't blame them for that.

What modern games can you even use the d-pad for movement? I know some fighting games and racing games but there's very few.

Top Bottom