• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destructoid reviews Neogaffers reviews of an Uncharted 3 review

Status
Not open for further replies.
New thread for new news. And the news is, well, us:

http://www.destructoid.com/does-uncharted-turn-people-psychotic--214590.phtml

Does Uncharted turn people psychotic?

3 hours ago - 8:00 AM on 10.26.2011 | Jim Sterling

Our very own Jordan Devore linked to this thread on NeoGAF last night, which is full to the brim with commentary about Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception and the recently released reviews. Now, we had Chad Concelmo review the game because he knows the series very well and knocked it out of the park. Also -- Uncharted fans are a special breed of horrific.

I knew from past occurrences that they could be nuts, but the fervor surrounding Uncharted 3's reviews -- a game none of these people have played -- is terrifying. For example, here are a few comments concerning Eurogamer's 8/10 review:
That's just a selection of the scary insanity demonstrated. These and way more were collected by this guy right here. There's even one where somebody seems to be celebrating that Destructoid's review was written by Chad (unless there's another "fat fuck" reviewer out there). I am fairly certain the guy isn't a Destructoid fan -- so why does he care what our review says?

There's more at the link of course. Owlowiscious also pointed out that we made Reddit too.

Not the shining hour for some of us, I imagine.

WE ROCK

cde4108ab4b09678aadaccf73578e9b4.gif

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Stayed away from that steaming pile of a thread like the plague, but I'm still ashamed.

Chairhome

(1) I think its terrible that people have to critique reviews of games they've never played before. I didn't read the whole thread, but to get up in arms for an "8" review is pretty bad. Especially when 99% of the people have not played the game yet.

(2) Destructoid is terrible.

encouraging them with so much attention is only going to make it worse next time. Zelda should be... interesting

I hope you're happy Mama! So much internet attention and not even a Star Trek .gif to accompany it ::sigh::

Empty

how many more posts are we going to have discussing this, that list has been posted a million times. i feel like the ratio of reaction to original dumb comment is 100:1 by now. not that reinforcing how bad the posts are is wrong, and the posts are terrible, but so many threads and posts discussing the shame list is making it out to be a bigger thing than it is.

it's a little sad to see my favourite gaming forum become an internet laughing stock. obviously i was already aware that this place has some silly people, and that people here react like this, so we don deserve it, but it's kinda overshadowing the good stuff posters in this community do by cherrypicking then giving such an emphasis to the terrible ones when there's so many more here who don't do that and weren't reacting that way to the review.

SykoTech

StuBurns said:
Oh good, we needed a thread about the backlash to the backlash.

Yep. Breaking News: Fanboys act crazy.

New news....sure. Aquintance's comment (spelling w/e) is still my favorite though.

StuBurns

Banned
Cheeto said:
I'm enjoying the saga
It's funny, I don't think the Uncharted review thread was exceptionally bad really. It was very bad, but so are many others, I think the Rage thread was worse personally.

Mrbob

Neogaf, the true elite of the gaming internet. Other sites just jelly they can't bring that type of user base on their own, so they now need to use Gaf for hits.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Maybe it's our turn to review Destructoid on reviewing us about our impressions on Uncharted 3's reviews.

yay!

The sad part is that gaf comments are pretty tame compare to some internet circles...

Go check out gamefaq boards or ign for comments on game reviews.

oh gee.

I can't believe how many of you are buying into this bullshit. This is an embarrassment for destructoid (ha), not gaf.

If anything I'm embarrassed by how quick this community is to self-immolate whenever a dev or journalist wags their finger at us. Half of those are obviously joke posts, and the rest...well. Every internet community has its wailing psychotics.

Empty said:
how many more posts are we going to have discussing this. i feel like the ratio of reaction to original dumb comment is 100:1 by now.
People keep saying this as if it's a bad thing, but that's the kind of ratio you likely need to maybe shut some of this embarrassment down. Oh, what I am saying, bring on the Skyward Sword 8's!

conman

Jay-B said:
Some quality investigative journalism right there.
Thanks destructoid.
It's like they've never visited a forum before. And if forum users are going to start getting called out for expressing their (over-the-top) views, what's next? Chastising third-graders for badmouthing their teachers on the playground?

Seriously, Destructoid, this isn't a low-point for GAF. It's a new low for gaming "journalism."

Solo

GAF can be quite pathetic when it comes to game reviews.

OH MY GOD, THAT GAME I HAVEN'T EVEN PLAYED YET BUT HAVE DECIDED IRRATIONALLY MUST BE PERFECT GOT AN 8/10 REVIEW! WHAT A TROLL! CLEARLY A JOKE REVIEW MADE TO GET HITS!

Mrbob

echoshifting said:
I can't believe how many of you are buying into this bullshit. This is an embarrassment for destructoid (ha), not gaf.

If anything I'm embarrassed by how quick this community is to self-immolate whenever a dev or journalist wags their finger at us. Half of those are obviously joke posts, and the rest...well. Every internet community has its wailing psychotics.

Isn't that part of the joke, though? Game journalists still can't dig properly into a story and would rather go for the sensationalist hit instead.

inky

OK, people 'fess up, who wrote this masterpiece:

I don't put much stock in review scores, but generally the highest confidence measure I've found of a game's greatness is when IGN gives it a perfect 10. Obviously this leaves out tons of good games that I would consider 10s, but the false positive rate is basically 0. If IGN gives a game a perfect 10, it's basically a masterpiece.

Was it Wario? LOL

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
echoshifting said:

No. Not in any way, shape, or form is this an embarrassment to Destructoid. All it takes is one read-through of those absolutely ridiculous responses to that review to see that.

People need to stop taking review scores personally and let it go unless you worked on the game yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom