• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Destructoid] Rumor: Beyond Good&Evil 2 funded by Nintendo for NX

dex3108

Beyond Good and Evil 2 is one of those games that has been rumored to exist for years while still staying weirdly in limbo every time it is discussed. Ubisoft insists the project has not been canned, and brings it up multiple times each year, but nothing concrete seems to surface.

According to a rumor received by Destructoid this week, the game may actually come to fruition in the not-too-distant future. If the information is to be believed, Nintendo has pulled a Bayonetta 2, securing the Beyond Good and Evil sequel as an NX exclusive for 2017.

http://www.destructoid.com/rumor-ni...9.phtml?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Let's hope that Destructoid is wrong.

Tizoc

Uh okaaaaaay
But it is gonna take a lot more than that to make me buy an nx console >_>;

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Cross-post:

Seems unlikely. Nintendo has stayed mum on how Bayonetta 2 performed (even the VG CHARTZ!!! plucked-out-on-thin-air numbers has it at <1m) and given it was in development for at least two years, there's no doubt in my mind Nintendo hasn't recouped costs. Throwing money at a cult favourite was ultimately a fruitless endeavour and did nothing to change the Wii U's fortune, so why would Nintendo sign off on the very same tactic for the NX?

And:

Create an audience for it now to build on in the future?
I'd buy a system for it.

Sure, but no company greenlights the development of a game without the intention of turning that investment into a net positive, whether directly or indirectly. Despite the original Bayonetta eventually becoming something of a modest success, Bayonetta 2 launched with a whimper and sales of the Wii U continue to be dismal even in light of further software releases, which would absolutely be a factor in discussions pertaining to possible third-party exclusivity ventures for the NX and leads me to believe that Nintendo is not going to throw millions behind another dormant IP that has an even rockier history (even on Steam the original BG&E is barely at 100k after several years).

Why would you hope they were wrong, we haven't gotten this game at all and if this were the case it would only be because of Nintendo we got it, but it's just a rumor

Well I've already sold my Wii U in anticipation for getting an NX, so that would be sweet for launch :)

Throwing money at a cult favourite was ultimately a fruitless endeavour and did nothing to change the Wii U's fortune, so why would Nintendo sign off on the very same tactic for the NX?
To build a solid launch line-up with good first and third party exclusives. It will make it look way better, expecially amongst the ones who buy a console at launch, the passionate gamers.

JordanKZ

Well, if the Wii U has shown us anything, Nintendo like pouring money into a hole.

I really like the Wii U, please don't hurt me. :C

Amazing if true.

I cannot wait till the NX floodgates officially open. Nintendo's been so quiet and I'm dying to see what they're sitting on.

Acidote

If it's the only way the game has to get made, I'll have to accept it. I really want that game to get done. Now, I'll have to look someone to borrow an NX from just like I did with XBO and Halo 5.

Eolz

Let's hope that Destructoid is wrong.

Why would you hope that? That would be really nice.
Will be fun to see all the new salty threads and walls of shame NX will be able to bring, even if I doubt it'll beat Bayo 2.

Richie

Cross-post:

You can make the argument that they could have done much more collaborations like that on the Wii U and thus making it a more attractive console. If they secure several deals like this on the NX, chances of such a strategy paying off increases exponentially.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Seems unlikely. Nintendo has stayed mum on how Bayonetta 2 performed (even the VG CHARTZ!!! plucked-out-on-thin-air numbers has it at <1m) and given it was in development for at least two years, there's no doubt in my mind Nintendo hasn't recouped costs. Throwing money at a cult favourite did nothing to change the Wii U's fortune, so why would Nintendo sign off on the very same tactic for the NX?

Whether or not that tactic worked for them once before, they still need to fund exclusive third party games for their console. It's not exactly something Nintendo invented with Bayo2.

-Dead Rising 3
-Rise of the Tomb Raider
-Street Fighter 3
-etc

Console holders fund exclusives. It's just that Nintendo is only able to pick the more nichey ones.

Squire

Banned
I could see it.

I feel like I've had a conversation about the likelihood of it before, even. It makes a ton of sense, from a certain angle.

antonz

The way Ubisoft was treating the title with on and off again development I could see it being a title that will only exist if someone is willing to put some money down.

It was likely never a project Ubisoft was heavily invested in and they were always quick to practically kill the team and shift them to other projects as milestones on projects demanded.
If it is on NX it will be a case of Nintendo pulling the title from the grave otherwise it would have never seen the light of day

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
wow, this is some rumor.

Cross-post:

Because Nintendo have been making many decisions in the past few years that are aimed at improving their relationship with developers, not just ones favorable for mass-consumers or their bottom line. See: Xenoblade and X, The Last Story, Pandora's Tower, Metroid Other M, Sin & Punishment 2, Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2, Hyrule Warriors, Devil's Third and many more rumored projects that didn't make it to release such as the rumored Yoot Saito colaboration on 3DS etc. Many of those weren't hugely successful and/or outright failed financially.

You're alone on that hope.

If they'd accept an offer for Nintendo to fund it, that tells me it wouldn't exist otherwise.

sarcasm?

I think this is propaganda!

Honestly though I'd love for it to be true. Ubi has had enough time to make it and they never got around to it despite all the promises. If Nintendo is willing to get it done, good for them.

duckroll

Cross-post:

Nintendo's decisions to continue to fund games that diversify their platforms are based on factors that often have little to do with making big bucks. It's really unusual and arguably poor business sense, especially when they fail to promote those games they're funding, but it's been like this for over a decade now. If Nintendo was actually worried about big games they're funding not selling a million, they would have closed Monolithsoft up a long time ago for example. We would also never have gotten Sin and Punishment 2.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Whether or not that tactic worked for them once before, they still need to fund exclusive third party games for their console. It's not exactly something Nintendo invented with Bayo2.

-Dead Rising 3
-Rise of the Tomb Raider
-Street Fighter 3
-etc

Console holders fund exclusives. It's just that Nintendo is only able to pick the more nichey ones.

You'll notice I specifically mentioned "cult favourite". The intention was to separate the funding of a Bayonetta sequel from, say, the co-funding of a sequel to a game that has ultimately sold over 8.5m copies.

Chobel

What does Nintendo exactly gain by this?

Nintendo's decisions to continue to fund games that diversify their platforms are based on factors that often have little to do with making big bucks. It's really unusual and arguably poor business sense, especially when they fail to promote those games they're funding, but it's been like this for over a decade now. If Nintendo was actually worried about big games they're funding not selling a million, they would have closed Monolithsoft up a long time ago for example. We would also never have gotten Sin and Punishment 2.

Fair enough.

Lingitiz

Cross-post:

Partnerships like these do tend to have other effects just outside of sales. The Bayo 2 deal probably moved some consoles and on top of that strengthened their relationship with Platinum.

The director on Bayo 2 is now working on Star Fox Zero with Miyamoto's team which probably wouldn't have happened without the two companies working closely on Bayo 2.

Squire

Banned
There are so many 3rd party games they could fund. It doesn't makes sense. Then again neither did Bayonetta.

Exactly. If it happens, it's a good will gesture, not a smart business endeavor. And Nintrndo has the cash to burn, so they may as well.

Top Bottom