• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destructoid: Xbox One can run four apps at the same time in the background

Valnen

It's good and it can be impressive for average consumers, but I really doubt it's impressive for most GAF.

A lot of people on GAF are console gamers and will greatly appreciate the ability to multitask on the console itself. Myself included. It doesn't matter if other things did it first, if you love console gaming the ability for consoles to multi task is great news.

I just hope PS4 gets Skype with text chat. I know they said they're not completely closed to the idea despite being owned by MS now.

Wait

While you can run multiple apps, only one game can be run at one time. Switching games is really easy, though. A voice command will have your current game shut down in 10 seconds, ready to load another

Doesn't 10 seconds to shut down a game seem like an awfully long time? Even current gen consoles do it way faster than that and on Vita it's instant (which is the minimum standard for OS these next gen consoles are aspiring to, with instant sleep modes and fast switching).

10 second sound like an eternity to quit a game. If t was switching it'd be fine, but it says it's 10 seconds to get quit the game and be ready for a switch.

Dukey

Banned
5I5s8.png
People still use IE? I stopped using IE as my main browser by 2006.

What took you so long? Switched from IE to Netscape in the late 90s. Never looked back. Their lack of vision when it came to add-ons and tabbed browsing was mind-boggling.

Wait

Doesn't 10 seconds to shut down a game seem like an awfully long time? Even current gen consoles do it way faster than that and on Vita it's instant (which is the minimum standard for OS these next gen consoles are aspiring to, with instant sleep modes and fast switching).

10 second sound like an eternity to quit a game. If t was switching it'd be fine, but it says it's 10 seconds to get quit the game and be ready for a switch.

Yep, on 360 it's a matter of 2-3 seconds. A bit longer on PS3, but still nowhere near 10 seconds. If they're not saving state during those 10 seconds, you have to wonder why it's so slow.

Wait

What took you so long? Switched from IE to Netscape in the late 90s. Never looked back. Their lack of vision when it came to add-ons and tabbed browsing was mind-boggling.

Yep, on 360 it's a matter of 2-3 seconds. A bit longer on PS3, but still nowhere near 10 seconds. If they're not saving state during those 10 seconds, you have to wonder why it's so slow.
It's 10 seconds if you do it by voice command. It's so you can cancel any misunderstood command to exit the game.

It's 10 seconds if you do it by voice command. It's so you can cancel any misunderstood command to exit the game.

We add in a 3-4 second buffer to allow the user to cancel in case (s)he changes his/her mind. Otherwise, the time to load the next game would be whatever it takes to load the next game (when using voice). It's not 10 seconds.

satam55

Banned
Same, I remember abandoning IE just before the release of Firefox 3.0! Currently use Chrome.

ie_february_2013-730x524.png

Mmm-hmm. On my Desktop PC:

1. Google Chrome

2. Mozilla Firefiox
3. Apple Safari
4. Opera Browser
5. IE

I used to be loyal to Firefox. Than I gave Google Chrome a chance, than I would often switch back & forth with Firefox & Chrome. But Google has done such a great job of integrating their free services (Google Apps, Youtube & etc.) & a webapp store (Chrome Web Store) into Google Chrome that it has has surpassed Firefox.

You would think with the great business relationship & partnership that Sony has with Google that we would see some Google Apps integration in the PS4 like Google Chrome, Google+, & Google Hangouts.

Even back than I was switching back & forth between IE, Netscape, & AOL.

hi albert, one quick question.
I don't have much space in my room. Can I set up Kinect for just the voice recognition feature ?

If you were so inclined, you can turn off the video feed. However, Kinect works in much smaller spaces, and identity will still work great in a smaller room.

No, it can have multiple apps suspended. Can you have skype running in the background waiting for calls on Vita, get a call, and continue to play a game while you take the call on Vita?

Yes. Same for the system music app and the Music Unlimited app. Anything you don't need actually running under the game like Twitter or the Web Browser will suspend to flash. You can have up to 6 things "running" at once, including a game on Vita.

If you were so inclined, you can turn off the video feed. However, Kinect works in much smaller spaces, and identity will still work great in a smaller room.
what I meant was. I supose when you set up kinect it has to scan you and recognize the area, well I might not have enough room for that (at least without moving some things) So I would like to set up kinect just for voice recognition.

Thanks

btw, I know this is not your job but I would really appreciate if could do something about the IP/Region lock of RainbowSix Vegas. Me and my friends with American account that resides outside the US can't download it.

Nozem

Sounds really good. I like the multiple users sign-in and the friends/followers distinction, smart.

I'm still skeptical about how good the voice commands and all will work, simply because I still haven't seen any piece of similar tech that worked as advertised (for example Siri). Especially with a system that is always listening, I can imagine it picking up commands when it shouldn't.

It's a real missed opportunity the YouTube sharing isn't available at launch. Especially right after launch it could have been a major source of free advertising.

satori

Sounds really good. Really impressive with the multi sign in. I can see it be great if you have tons of local friends or family. The kenect functions seems pretty sweet.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
4 is probably the sweet spot in terms of user testing. I.e. For most users, I bet four apps suspended (and therefore instant start) is probably 90% of the apps they use, so their experience is effectively 'every app I launch is instantaneous'. Also the suspend/run thing isn't black and white. I'd expect apps to still have access to Xbox services, much like iohone. So while Netflix wouldn't play video in the background, Xbox music would still continue to play audio

I'd like to know if they stay resident after you go into standby mode, so you can quickly get back to them even the next day.

Metzhara

Multiple apps running in the background just raised a potentially interesting question for me. Is there going to be a Smartglass app that runs on the Xbox One (ie. not on a smartphone or tablet)?

Take Dead Rising 3 for example. You use Smartglass to call in airstrikes from a character in the game. When they've shown this off, the main character Nick is usually on top of something or away from danger, that way you can put down the controller and focus on your device. Why couldn't that work as an app that snaps to the side so that people without smartphones or tablets could use Smartglass features too?

Snapping Smartglass to the side would also work great for Xbox Videos or HBO Go shows like Game of Thrones, for viewing that extra content while the video continues to play.

I don't normally do this but, I like this idea. I don't even know if it is possible or in the same area but... I like this lots.
Someone get on this.
And I don't mean "Open IMDB in IE." -Adam

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Don't know if it has already been answered, but can someone use the TV features of the One without connecting the Kinect 2?

Should be able to. MS has said you done need to connect kinect, which means the OS should be entirely controllable by the pad. And you can plug in a separate IR blaster into the back of the console in case the kinects built in IR blaster doesn't reach your equipment. So buy one of those from amazon (not included with the Xbox one) and you should be fine

Lucent

How tall is Kinect 2.0? Since there isn't gonna be a way to clip it to the top of the TV, I was wondering how tall it is so I might sit it in front of my TV or something. My setup is on an L-shaped desk.

Unless, you know, there's an unofficial method to attach it to the top of the TV without doing something crazy.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
No, it can have multiple apps suspended. Can you have skype running in the background waiting for calls on Vita, get a call, and continue to play a game while you take the call on Vita?

Yes, you can do exactly that on the Vita, Skype was updated about 4 months ago which allowed you to have a call while playing a game.

It's kind of amusing really, someone on an X1 can chat with someone on a Vita, cross-platform-chat and all that jazz. It was part of the deal that MS can't not allow a platform to have Skype too iirc, so who knows, it might come to PS4 and Skype people have said as much, we could be getting the first proper global gaming chat system, which would be cool as friends could talk regardless of system in the future, PC-X1-PS4-Vita-Android-iOS.

Ushae

Banned
System UI sounds better each time I hear about it, probably the part that interests me the most as I spend alot fo time using the apps on 360/PS3 at the moment for stuff like Youtube, GT etc

Jburton

Banned
Why?

I can appreciate the advances in game console OS but this sounds superfluous to the point of pointless.

Keeping the game running in background sounds useful for jumping back in quick after maybe watching a movie, but four apps?

It sounds like a solution for problem nobody had.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
I see a lot of useless or not impressive features. Sorry guys

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
I am interested on the IR feature to control devices, but am not sure how you register devices. You regiater you devices through a web page and then Kinect tries to spread and bounce IR to the room to locate/control them?

Doctor Ninja

Sphincter Speaker
I apologize if this was answered in another thread, but can I play a game and download another at the same time now that the xbox One has a larger RAM than it's predecessor ? Because it always irked me when I cannot download and play at the same time on my 360.

DBT85

I apologize if this was answered in another thread, but can play a game and download another at the same time now that the xbox One has a larger RAM than it's predecessor ? Because it always irked me when I cannot download and play at the same time on my 360.
PS4 can, and I assume the Xbone can too.

EagleEyes

I see a lot of useless or not impressive features. Sorry guys
Says the man with a Burger King combo, now thats useless :p. On topic, I love all these little things that the X1 is gonna be able to do. I definitely think the X1 is a more versatile machine than the PS4, Microsoft just has to prove to the public it is and get the price down to parity.

Omni

Interesting that the game shutdown doesn't save the state. I assumed the 10 seconds for it was cause it was saving the current state to the HDD.

Also noticed that you can add code redemption to your pins which gets me excited about all the other shortcuts you can pin.

HyJit5e.jpg

And finally, it seems like no one can spell Penello's name correctly:

Is it me, or did they change the shade of green again? Looks a lot nicer.

Hopefully we can change tile colours manually though.

Doctor Ninja

Sphincter Speaker
PS4 can, and I assume the Xbone can too.

I can download a game and play another on my PS3 as well, I just hope the Xbox One can do it or it'll annoy me a lot. You have no idea how many times I couldn't play a game on my 360 because I was downloading another game.

JaggedSac

I apologize if this was answered in another thread, but can I play a game and download another at the same time now that the xbox One has a larger RAM than it's predecessor ? Because it always irked me when I cannot download and play at the same time on my 360.

The only time the background download stops on the 360 is when you are playing multiplayer. Which is a good reason to stop it. It will be similar on the Bone.

angrygnat

I still can't get past the thought that they have come up with a solution to which there never was a problem. There is a very good possibility that technology has passed me by. I don't discount that. So I may never really "get it". Even if I was getting an XB1, I doubt I would use many of the non gaming features. I feel stupid enough wearing a headset let alone talking to my TV. MS is being proactive about game interaction. That can only be a positive step, but have these innovations come at the cost of the games? If I had to guess Id have to say yes. Any resources taken away to run these extra apps is power not devoted to gaming. Time will tell, but if we're being honest with each other, I don't think we can draw any other conclusion.

ShapeGSX

You can download and play a game at the same time on the 360. The only time it stops the download is when the game you are playing has an online component.

Twitch
Internet Explorer
Netflix
PS4?

Can those "apps" be games. Can I have Dead Rising in the background and then switch to Peggle.

Now that would b awesome.

Sounds nice. I was basically tying to do this to no avail this Sunday.

I can download a game and play another on my PS3 as well, I just hope the Xbox One can do it or it'll annoy me a lot. You have no idea how many times I couldn't play a game on my 360 because I was downloading another game.
Your 360 is broken. This was a launch feature.

Haines

Banned
Why?

I can appreciate the advances in game console OS but this sounds superfluous to the point of pointless.

Keeping the game running in background sounds useful for jumping back in quick after maybe watching a movie, but four apps?

It sounds like a solution for problem nobody had.

Thats how I feel when ever I hear anything about xbox one so far...

if gtav has taught me anything its that i dont care about the console snazy shit, i just want it to play games and make them look good

Mugatu

They should put all this on the box to help sell systems: Kinect is always watching and flooding your room with IR radiation.

But seriously, it's nice that it can run multiple apps but I still don't like the Metro interface, it's great on a phone or table for people with sausage fingers or with Kinect hand waving but it's a waste for using a controller or remote like most people want to interact with their TVs and consoles with.

Top Bottom