• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destructoid's Disgaea PC Article is a Mess | Up: Disable beta branch, issues solved

I think that unless someone can objectively state that the non-beta client is performing a lot better than beta client, that'd be as much a speculation as what we have right now.

Realistically someone should just make an OT anyway.

We've got a whole thread full of people saying that using the Stable client has improved everything for them: http://steamcommunity.com/app/405900/discussions/0/412448158148686380/

If it's untrue, it would have been a monumental effort to get that many people to troll performance gains.

Eila

I think that unless someone can objectively state that the non-beta client is performing a lot better than beta client, that'd be as much a speculation as what we have right now.

Happened with me with some TF2 update which halved the framerate to many. The temp fix was to opt out of the steam beta client.

MUnited83

For you.

I can objectively state that pretty easily. Doubled my framerate where no other method would.

Momentary

Banned
I am not participating in the BETA and the game has ran smooth as silk since day 1.

Turned the beta on just now and holy crap. I see what people were talking about.

Momentary

Banned
Man, this isn't even NIS America's fault. I feel horrible for them. I was wondering what people were talking about with performance issues. I'm glad fans get to appreciate the game now. I hope they fix the SSAO. The game looks better with it on IMHO... aside for the graphical issues.

Jedi2016

Its all good now?

why so many peep use Beta client anyway
No idea. Not only have I never seen a benefit to beta client, I can't say I know what they're doing in the normal updates, either. I'll occasionally tap into a beta for a particular title, but for Steam itself? Seems pointless.

Falk

that puzzling face
The Witness beta branch made it playable for me. (motion sickness)

The feature has got its use for prototyping things that need to be prototyped but not made 'official' official just yet.

Weevilone

I started using the beta client back when that was the only way you could do Steam streaming. I'm sure a lot of people have a significant reason like that and just never stopped.

Falk

that puzzling face
It's a PC game. Regardless of current trends the only person who can answer that with 100% certainty is yourself.

Prognosis seems to look good though.

TSM

It's weird that the steam client can cause issues with games like this, but another example of it is GTAIV. If you start GTAIV through the steam client it has major frame rate problems, but if you start it manually from the actual exe it runs fine.

Well, let's hope the word gets out there before the damage is irreversible.

Not sure if I feel bad or not for the people who Refunded right away and presumably lost the preorder bonuses.

Smash88

Banned
Only problem I have is random small segmented black bars when SSAO is enabled. Otherwise the game runs smooth for me from the 10 minutes I've played. I checked for the beta branch thing and it was not set to it, so they may have fixed that internally?

Also if I use the mouse I can make the character run at incredible speeds.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
The Steam beta thing also fixed performance for the writer of the article: https://twitter.com/joeparlock/status/703186382760517632

But his overall response is kind of shitty, doesn't sound like he's going to update the article or do a followup.

No followup or update on their part? That really is shitty, especially after the sensationalist headline that wasn't called for in the first place. ToS was, and still is, a far worse situation. I hope Destructoid finds a better correspondent for their PC coverage in the future.

Ascheroth

No followup or update on their part? That really is shitty, especially after the sensationalist headline that wasn't called for in the first place. ToS was, and still is, a far worse situation. I hope Destructoid finds a better correspondent for their PC coverage in the future.

Well, it's just speculation on my part based on that twitter chain, nothing definite from them, so who knows what they'll really do.

TheTrain

This port hunt with every game released these days needs to cease. People need to realize that not every game is in the "Arkham Knight" state, no reason to overpanic when you have a window of 14 days to do a refund request without any problem.

mfaex

Day 3 update. http://steamcommunity.com/games/405900/announcements/detail/907844117160284268

Greetings Everyone!

Welcome to another update for Disgaea PC! Again, we want to make sure that the Disgaea PC community is being heard, so we will continue to post announcements regarding updates and concerns that the community has mentioned. We're reading all the threads and appreciate your feedback, but please remember to keep threads on topic and treat others with respect. I will proceed to take action if necessary.

We are planning on releasing an update by March 2nd. The release date for this update is subject to change, but we’ll definitely announce any changes through our announcements.

According to the thread posted by LordCastellian, a good handful of Disgaea PC users were able to fix the FPS drops. While this may be a temporary fix for some, we understand that this may not be the most viable option for everyone as it does not guarantee a better FPS rate. We are still researching this issue and added this to our FAQ thread as a temporary FPS rate fix.

Currently, our development team is looking into these five issues:

1.) FPS is low even on high-end PCs
2.) Maintaining controllability during slowdowns
3.) SSAO issues
4.) Performance changes when a controller/gamepad is detected
5.) Increasing GPU usage

For the March 2nd update, we are planning on addressing the following:

Maintaining controllability during framerate drops
Adding a warning message when turning SSAO on
Fixing controller issues
Optimizing GPU performance

Things we are currently working on to be addressed in a later update:

Low FPS on high-end PCs
SSAO issues that occur regardless of PC specs

Details on the 5 issues below:

1.) FPS is low even on high-end PCs
This is one of our biggest concerns at the moment, as it has become a common topic within the Disgaea PC community. We were not aware of this issue during testing, and were only made aware of it through user feedback. Our devs have noted this issue on their end and are working hard to address this in future updates. Please note that this issue is ongoing and it may take a little more time to address and pinpoint exactly what is causing this issue. We apologize for this unforeseen complication and are doing everything in our power to create a fix.
2.) Maintaining controllability during slowdowns
This issue is related to issue 1, and we are looking into minimizing the stress caused by this issue. Our plan for addressing this problem is to allow the game to skip frames when slowdowns occur to maintain controllability of the game.
3.) SSAO issues
This is an issue that is happening mostly on PCs with integrated graphics. For the update, we will include a message when a user tries to turn SSAO on with a computer that doesn’t have the required specs to run the game.
4.) Performance changes when a controller/gamepad is detected
We plan to improve performance on many PCs that are experiencing framerate drops when a controller is not plugged in.
5.) Increasing GPU usage
We are looking into increasing performance on GPUs. We plan to look into this issue extensively and release gradual performance updates.

There have been a lot of changes within the past three days and I’m sure it has been an emotional roller coaster for many people, but again, we want to stress that our community is extremely important to us. Our company strives to continue to bring awesome titles to Steam and we hope for more great titles to come.

Thanks for your time, patience and understanding, dood! Have a great weekend!

Best,
Robbie

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
No idea. Not only have I never seen a benefit to beta client, I can't say I know what they're doing in the normal updates, either. I'll occasionally tap into a beta for a particular title, but for Steam itself? Seems pointless.

You want the beta client if you're using Linux and the Steam controller/Steam Link.

FLD

The tweet disappeared, looks like.

He updated the article (although it kinda sounds like he had no intention of doing so and is only doing it because people have been bugging him about it) but he's still standing by the "absolute mess" claim and says all that was fixed is the v-sync issue. What a jackass...

Also, turns out it's the same dude that called the Rise of the Tomb Raider port bad, which I think turned out to not be the case? Why the hell is this guy writing up port reports? He doesn't seem to know what the hell he's talking about...

edit: beaten. that's what I get for not refreshing the page before posting lol.

Nzyme32

He updated the article (although it kinda sounds like he had no intention of doing so and is only doing it because people have been bugging him about it) but he's still standing by the "absolute mess" claim and says all that was fixed is the v-sync issue. What a jackass...

Also, turns out it's the same dude that called the Rise of the Tomb Raider port bad, which I think turned out to not be the case? Why the hell is this guy writing up port reports? He doesn't seem to know what the hell he's talking about...

edit: beaten. that's what I get for not refreshing the page before posting lol.

Yeah, don't think I'll take his reviews as strongly as others. Also if this is Beta client related, he shouldn't be doing that to test out the games in the first place

Weevilone

Do we have a feel for what breaks it in the Steam beta? If that stuff goes live then it will be a reality for Disgaea rather than a beta problem.

Falk

that puzzling face
Hope you've also been posting specs/etc in the NISA feedback thread on Steam.

Feels like they need all the help they can get getting it stable for as many people as possible, really.

edit: Might as well take ownership of that title change with a little bit of exposition. I believe Joe when he says he had problems, and I believe him if he says it only fixed a Vsync issue for him, and I totally agree that an automatic beta branch shouldn't be causing as much issues as this one has, but just perusing the Steam thread, the number of people reporting much better or completely fixed performance is really too large to ignore in the article. It's a half-updated, indecisive state of an article based on one person's anecdotal (but perfectly valid) experience, and perhaps doesn't accurately reflect what's going on - performance fixed for at least a fraction of people who aren't Joe, NISA still pushing daily patches. Also was too long to fit update in thread title otherwise.

Disclaimer: I don't have personal experience with the Disgaea PC port right now, and with all PC games, YMMV.

Dinjoralo

I've tried leaving the Steam Beta, and while it does run smoother in general, most of the bigger issues I was having (the game running in super-slowmo for a while after I start, glitchy AO) weren't fixed. I'm gonna hold off on digging into this until there's a patch.

im quite sure what my issue is, its running at 60fps, but when i do something like try to throw or move characters, the game will slowdown a lot, but steam's fps indicator doesnt show the drops most of the time

FLD

edit: Might as well take ownership of that title change with a little bit of exposition. I believe Joe when he says he had problems, and I believe him if he says it only fixed a Vsync issue for him, and I totally agree that an automatic beta branch shouldn't be causing as much issues as this one has, but just perusing the Steam thread, the number of people reporting much better or completely fixed performance is really too large to ignore in the article. It's a half-updated, indecisive state of an article based on one person's anecdotal (but perfectly valid) experience, and perhaps doesn't accurately reflect what's going on - performance fixed for at least a fraction of people who aren't Joe, NISA still pushing daily patches. Also was too long to fit update in thread title otherwise.

Yeah, I think that's the main problem here. Once the beta client thing came to light, the vast majority of people reported that switching to the regular client fixed most of their issues. At this point, it's looking like the people still having trouble are very much in the minority. Still needs to be addressed obviously, but to still call the port a mess at this point seems kind of disingenuous.

The update reads like him planting his feet and obstinately refusing to acknowledge he was (at least partially) wrong.

jjasso21

I installed and tested it out myself too. I have the Steam Beta Client and SSAO and V Sync turned off. I tried with the SSAO and V Sync on and that those tearing issues.

I'll try with the normal Steam Client, but I'm sure it'll get sorted out sooner or later. I really want the other Disgaea/Phantom Brave games to be released.

Parsnip

I'm curious, in the beta client changelog for 29th of Feb it says:
Overlay
*Improved frame rate and reduce loading times for some D3D9 and OpenGL games

Does this fix the problems with Disgaea?

Top Bottom