• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destructoid's Disgaea PC Article is a Mess | Up: Disable beta branch, issues solved

Hdd fragmentation? Maybe he needs to fix his memmaker config too.

I wouldn't ignore the report as such, But yes it does sound a bit dubious. Hopefully the game bit is solid.

Like I said, I'll consider *his* issues, but without citing sources, claims of OTHERS having issues is meaningless.

Honestly, I feel like OP should have held off creating this thread as we have conflicting reports and the game is coming in two hours or so.
Giving people a warning not to buy immediately doesn't sound like a terrible idea to me when there are "conflicting reports"

Shouldn't you wait until the game at least releases before you start claiming a PC version to be an "absolute mess"? Especially with stuff that sounds like it may be a setup conflict of some kind?

Damn, I think I'll be breaking my record this time. Third refund in a month, what's up with that.

February was a mess. I wanna tell you: I don't often buy Capcom games, and I don't often buy Firaxis games, but they usually end up good after a few patches. But I say this every night, every day, every afternoon and it's so true: february was a mess. February was a waste. February was a big fat mess.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Giving people a warning not to buy immediately doesn't sound like a terrible idea to me when there are "conflicting reports"

Well it might make people jump to conclusions at the same time, especially when Destructoid is usually a trusted outlet. I just hope people realize that this isn't their area of expertise and wait for a more knowledgeable opinion at least.

Smash88

Banned
Then include both reports in the OP. Also, we have a refund option for a reason.

I didn't know about that article... And frankly I don't know that website either. But it is in the top 2 posts, so people will immediately see a different view on the situation. My goal is just to warn people from making a mistake, and to hold off until proven otherwise.

cyress8

Banned
Still buying it, just hope things will go smooth on my end. Fuck I hope things are just screwy on Destructoids PC. This series need more people playing.

Well it might make people jump to conclusions at the same time, especially when Destructoid is usually a trusted outlet. I just hope people realize that this isn't their area of expertise and wait for a more knowledgeable opinion at least.

Then include both reports in the OP. Also, we have a refund option for a reason.

What's up with the quotation marks dude?
I think it's totally okay to post this article alone so people wait an hour or two with their purchase. If it turns out to be BS we can point and laugh at destructoid and the game won't really be hurt by that. If the problems are widespread this thread served a purpose.

One report saying the port is fine (which is the expected situation) has less weight than this one, at least to me.

I'm glad I bought this directly through Steam. If the port is indeed garbage, refunds are easy.

I was legitimately thinking this was a kind of rotten apples in the vending machine situation ( from Taxi ).

Really though, isn't buying and refunding poor ports the only way to show that we want the game, but not in a sloppy state?

Slyjss

I played Disgaea PC for 17 hours and I have encountered similar issues to the ones described on the article. The tearing without V-Sync activated is far too noticeable, and there were slowdowns every now and then when activated. I didn't have the "flickering black lines" at first, but I also suffer it now.

I thought my laptop could be the issue (I play on Bootcamp in a Macbook Pro 2012, i7 and 16 Gb of RAM, but a mere Geforce GT 650 M as graphic card), but after reading the article I'm inclined to think it might be a problem of the port.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Well, I can confirm there's slowdown on in Fullscreen mode. I haven't really changed any settings other than fullscreening to 1080p Native.

If you turn off Fullscreen, it'll run at 60FPS(?) with no issues even with V-sync on.

Really weird slowdown bug.

I just tried the port out and oh god the lag in the cutscenes is so bad and when I try to go into gameplay it runs at like sub 30. I hear turning off V-Sync fixes it but I already gave up on this port. Somehow this port is even worse than Symphonia.

Dinjoralo

I'm not sure what's up with the performance issues. It was running like crap for me until I started fiddling with the resolution, and then it ran mostly smooth with vsync on until I closed the game and tried to play it again. I think there's some kind of upscaling going on, too. It doesn't look like it's rendering at 1080p.

So far, I've made it to the tutorial mission that introduces Geo Effects and uhh....I can't see the colored tiles that mark a Geo Effect (turned every option on and off separately, nothing) which is a real bummer (Make note of the edit). Also wish they had implemented the speed boost stuff that Disgaea 3 onward used (holding down R1 or whatever during animations?), doesn't seem to be anywhere that I could see. There's also no way to change message speed, which is kinda ass as someone who's previously put 85 hours into this on the PS2 and just wants to skip it.

Edit: seems rebooting fixed it, though I'm running it in windowed mode now, maybe fullscreen has some additional issues at the moment.

However, I ran it fullscreen (with VSync on), and it holds a steady framerate...for the most part. turning on Shadows makes my framerate go from 57 to 37, every other option seems to not be having any adverse effect on performance so far.

For the record, my rig is an i5-4570, Radeon 270x, Win 7 Ultimate, 8GB Ram.

Works fine for me (no slowdown in Full Screen either , if anything it runs too fast in battle).

The lack of resolution options is disappointing. I can still see jaggies on my 1900 x 1280 monitor too, which is kinda sad.

One weird bug I noticed is that if you set it to FullScreen mode and set the Full Screen to Wide mode it totally messes up the calibration of your mouse (backwards was waaay off screen for me and I couldn't click on any menu options).

nkarafo

Can someone post a picture of how the game looks? All i get from google is something that looks like it runs on a GBA. There is no way even a low-end PC can't brute force it at 1000 fps, no matter how bad the code must be.

LiK

Can Durante save us yet again?

(Looking forward to more impressions due to conflicting reports)

Ganado

Playing with Borderless Fullscreen and no V-sync, everything else max/on.
Stable 60fps all over.
i5-3570k+gtx670+win7

Working perfectly for me. Locked 60FPS, at the very least looks to be running at my desktop resolution.

Vsync and SSAO are bugged though, turn them off.

Nishastra

Banned
For me, turning on the new textures makes the framerate plummet.

Luckily, I don't actually like the new textures, or any of the other new graphics options.

Funny bug though for anyone with multi-monitor in the fields.

Click and hold on the screen to move, and drag your cursor...

Drag it off to another screen as far as you can and you RUN AT THE SPEED OF LIGHT.

Hehe.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Funny bug though for anyone with multi-monitor in the fields.

Click and hold on the screen to move, and drag your cursor...

Drag it off to another screen as far as you can and you RUN AT THE SPEED OF LIGHT.

Hehe.

Accidently did this as soon as I got control of the character lol

Eila

Logic seems to be tied to framerate so everything will be slower if you're not running 60 fps.
It appears to run ok without V-Sync. Otherwise, it cuts the framerate in half to 30-35 fps, making it largely unplayable.
I'm just glad for the new menus and the japanese voice option. I had to play the intro with the English voice and Etna is just ugh.

Edit: Should probably mention I'm playing on a very weak laptop with AMD video (HD 6770M), so you rmileage may vary.

nkarafo

2016-02-24_00001-noscale.jpg
This looks like a game that should be able to run smoothly on a Pentium 2 + TNT1.

Shepard

No framerate problems, and the new textures are very good. Depth of field, ssao, edge blur and character filter on the other hand, are atrocious, turn them off.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Logic seems to be tied to framerate so everything will be slower if you're not running 60 fps.
It appears to run ok without V-Sync. Otherwise, it cuts the framerate in half to 30-35 fps, making it largely unplayable.
I'm just glad for the new menus and the japanese voice option. I had to play the intro with the English voice and Etna is just ugh.

Honestly Laharl in English is what gets me I don't recall having any problems with Etna and Flonne's VA though.

epmode

Aside from the stupid mouse cursor not hiding when I'm using a controller, the port seems pretty decent. I don't like the new graphics stuff though. Looks better with most of it turned off. ESPECIALLY THOSE HIDEOUS NEW TEXTURES

I'm on a G-Sync monitor with vsync turned off.

TheSeks

This looks like a game that should be able to run smoothly on a Pentium 2 + TNT1.

Well, given it's from the PS2 era. It should. Especially if you turn off Normal Maps, SSAO and the like.

Really bizzare how the framerate has weird tankings.

overall, is the port decent?

If they patch the slowdown issues and put in X-box/Playstation buttons instead of button 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8... for the GUI, yeah.

Hard to say. We've got great performance on average rigs, and shit performance on godly rigs. No real consensus yet on what's what.

From a design standpoint, the port seems to be alright, outside of a lack of resolution options (It seems that it picks your desktop resolution to render at) and no XInput buttons. There's full mouse/keyboard support and button remapping.

The issues thus far seem to be primarily on the performance side. I'm sure pretty much every issue will be patched in a week, and it shouldn't take much time to replace the DirectInput button textures with XInput ones.

tl;dr: LESS ISSUES THAN XCOM 2 LOL

It depends, it you're pretty lax regarding what you consider "necessities" for a PC version, it (from what I've played) seems playable, but again, it's such a subjective topic, your best bet might be having a friend allow you to Family Share and check it for yourself beforehand.

mfaex

Full screen is a no-go for me, looks distorted. I've got most of the graphics options off. SSAO gives me a vertical black line straight down near the center of the screen. Screen End Blur and Depth of Field both make my screen blurry (independent of each other).

No massive slowdown, but I haven't gone into combat yet. First cutscenes ran around 52fps. 60fps running around the castle.

i7-4710hq, gtx 860m, 16gb ram, windows 8.1

Oh and to hell with these numbered buttons. Hopefully someone can mod in psx or xbox buttons. I can make either of those work. Numbers are useless without a constant reference.

e: 60 fps in combat.

epmode

Oh, the button icons don't correspond to an Xbox controller. That's a problem..

Again, the port's pretty good once I turned off the new graphics stuff (most of it feels very out of place).

TheSeks

They should. Button 1 = A, Button2 = B... similar to the Playstation 2 release binds if you've played that.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl

Again, the port's pretty good once I turned off the new graphics stuff (most of it feels very out of place).

I'm guessing they didn't want to get complaints that they weren't there. Although I find it odd that for windowed mode you have to drag out to your desired resolution yourself.

epmode

They should. Button 1 = A, Button2 = B... similar to the Playstation 2 release binds if you've played that.

Yeah, you can get used to it.

In any case, they should provide an option for A, B, X, Y as well as the Playstation buttons. I doubt it would require much work.

Top Bottom