• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Detective Pikachu game revealed

Who should voice Pikachu for the English release?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Akiller

93w4gti.gif

tumblr_m4eqn81BWT1qdnsr8.gif

entremet

This is one of the few times I wish animated GIF avatars were still allowed.

I'd love that Detective Pikachu talking as an avatar lol.

I honestly can't tell if you're making that up or if it is a keen observation you've made from the show. If it's the latter, that's pretty cool.

Pikachu's speech patterns are indeed like that in the anime and have been for yeaaars. Also, in the XY season, the fairy type gym leader (can't remember her name) can speak with fairy type Pokémon. Not in a psychic way, but she actually speaks like a Pokémon. It only works with fairy types, though, so I'm not sure if it's that fairy types have a specific speech pattern or something like that.

Pikachu's speech patterns are indeed like that in the anime and have been for yeaaars. Also, in the XY season, the fairy type gym leader (can't remember her name) can speak with fairy type Pokémon. Not in a psychic way, but she actually speaks like a Pokémon. It only works with fairy types, though, so I'm not sure if it's that fairy types have a specific speech pattern or something like that.
Well, that is cool, I suppose. But that's showing that Pokemon have their own little animal dialect and don't speak human tongue.

JoeM86

We have gameplay details

In the gameplay, you play as Tim as he has interviews with people and gathers evidence with the help of Detective Pikachu. In the gameplay, you walk around Rhyme City. Tim interviews humans while Pikachu interviews Pokémon. While exploring town, you can find spots to investigate. You can look for evidence by using a magnifying glass and moving it around the scene until you find something. If Pikachu notices anything, the bottom screen image of Pikachu will activate. Tap it to speak with Pikachu to get a hint or advice. Finally, there are elements with Quick Time Events where you have to push a button in time to perform an action, such as catching Pikachu after he falls from a tree. If you fail to do so, the following scene changes slightly. It doesn't affect progress, but just changes how things go such as Pikachu hitting Tim's chest rather than being caught. From there, you solve the crimes based on evidence. The example given is to find out where Aipom disappeared to.
39.jpg
40.jpg
41.jpg
42.jpg
43.jpg
44.jpg
45.jpg

JoeM86

Pretty high.

It's Pokemon.

Indeed. Not that many Pokémon games haven't been released in all regions.

Here's a list

1996: Pokémon Blue - Never in EU/US
Complex but encounter rates/trades etc. from here were never used in the west

1998: Pokémon Stadium - Never in EU/US
First one was barebones. Not all Pokémon useable. Second became available as first in west

1998:Hey You, Pikachu! - Never in EU
Required microphone and the variety of accents made it un-viable for the time

1999: Pokémon Puzzle League - Never in Japan

2001: Pokémon Card GB2: Here Comes Team Great Rocket - Never in EU/US
Came in the time of the Wizards of the Coast -> TPC card shift. Licensing nightmare.

2002: Pokémon Race mini, Pokémon Breeder mini, Togepi's Great Adventure, Pichu Bros. mini - Never in US/EU
Pokémon mini didn't take off well enough to warrant it

2009: Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Keep Going! Blazing Adventure Squad, Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Let's Go! Stormy Adventure Squad!, Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Go For It! Light Adventure Squad - Never in EU/US
No idea why but they weren't good so nothing of value was lost

2011: Learn with Pokémon: Typing Adventure - Never in US
Probably wouldn't have resonated with the audience.

2014: Band of Thieves & 1000 Pokémon - Never in EU/US
StreetPass required game. Not exactly the audience in the west. You CANNOT complete it without StreetPassing people with the game

ash_ag

There's also Hey, You Pikachu!, which didn't make it in Europe because they would have to localise the microphone function in four more languages, and even then they would have lost a big part of the audience from countries that natively speak other languages than these five. Also, I think Tetris never released in North America, and even in Europe, it was a very limited release.

But yeah, we're past those times. Even when you consider how few titles didn't release globally, Detective Pikachu is clearly made to have a global appeal, and given what we've heard about its development, it's too big a fish to ignore. I'm a bit surprised it isn't getting a worldwide launch, if anything. But it shouldn't take too long.

JoeM86

There's also Hey, You Pikachu!, which didn't make it in Europe because they would have to localise the microphone function in four more languages, and even then they would have lost a big part of the audience from countries that natively speak other languages than these five. Also, I think Tetris never released in North America, and even in Europe, it was a very limited release.

But yeah, we're past those times. Even when you consider how few titles didn't release globally, Detective Pikachu is clearly made to have a global appeal, and given what we've heard about its development, it's too big a fish to ignore. I'm a bit surprised it isn't getting a worldwide launch, if anything. But it shouldn't take too long.

They'd have to redo all the motion capture for the English, French, German etc. as this is more than just your standard anime lip movement. I imagine that's why no worldwide launch

Theorymon

I am not sure what you mean by Pokémon Blue not being released in the west because Red and Blue are the basic gen 1 games, Green is the one that wasn't released outside of JP.

Long story short, Pokemon Green is more similar to our Blue, sharing encounter rates and such. Meanwhile, Japan's Pokemon Blue has a totally different encounter rate than anything in the US. For example, you can find wild Jynx in it!

Our Red and Blue did use the same sprites as the Japanese Blue however, and the same codebase too afaik

mcz117chief

Long story short, Pokemon Green is more similar to our Blue, sharing encounter rates and such. Meanwhile, Japan's Pokemon Blue has a totally different encounter rate than anything in the US. For example, you can find wild Jynx in it!

Our Red and Blue did use the same sprites as the Japanese Blue however, and the same codebase too afaik

So technically we got all Gen 1 games but not all modifications of it, I think the same can be said about the Japanese, right? They never played the western gen 1 pokémon games, or did they?

Pretty sure, if this comes to the west, and its pretty likely because its Pokemon and the chose having western art for it, its being dubbed pal5 in europe.

The only games nintendo likes to dub constantly (there are some weird cases atound) are kids games.

Alfonso Valles for spanish Pikachu's voice pleease! You arealy used him in Star Fox so...

There's some wild ideas about how this game can be handled now.

aIs5uvZ.png

This is not going to happen and its going to break my heart apart.

JoeM86

I am not sure what you mean by Pokémon Blue not being released in the west because Red and Blue are the basic gen 1 games, Green is the one that wasn't released outside of JP.

There are 7 Generation 1 games:

Red/Green (Jp.): The originals
Blue (Jp.): Enhanced version - Bug fixes, new sprites, different encounter data
Pikachu (Jp.): Special edition based on the anime
Red/Blue (US/EU): Different games, based on the Blue engine with the Red/Green encounter data, trade data etc., it translated the text from Blue (Jp.) which is why the trade in Cinnabar Island where you give a Raichu has the person claim the Pokémon went and evolved. It was a Graveler/Kadabra trade in Blue (Jp.)
Yellow (US/EU): Japan's Pikachu edition but coded for the GameBoy Color

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
More info and pics

Pikachu is a famed detective who is able to speak with Tim. He’s a bit pushy towards Tim and can be arrogant.

He has a weakness for beautiful women. He occasionally instigates Tim into inviting girls he’s interested in to going out for some tea.

He loves coffee, and is a regular at a certain cafe. If he starts talking about something he knows a lot about, he’ll keep going on about it.

Pikachu is always on two feet. Even during urgent moments. That said, even when he runs at full-speed, he’s not very fast. Pikachu can’t use moves, and he can’t even discharge electricity that well. He also hates being ordered around.

Pikachu is a bright detective with calm judgment, and can be relied upon.

womanizer pikachu confirmed

mcz117chief

There are 7 Generation 1 games:

Red/Green (Jp.): The originals
Blue (Jp.): Enhanced version - Bug fixes, new sprites, different encounter data
Pikachu (Jp.): Special edition based on the anime
Red/Blue (US/EU): Different games, based on the Blue engine with the Red/Green encounter data, trade data etc., it translated the text from Blue (Jp.) which is why the trade in Cinnabar Island where you give a Raichu has the person claim the Pokémon went and evolved. It was a Graveler/Kadabra trade in Blue (Jp.)
Yellow (US/EU): Japan's Pikachu edition but coded for the GameBoy Color

So they are all in effect the same games.

Mr-Joker

Banned
What are the chances that we get the game in the West?

Very high, it's rare for a Pokémon game not to be localized.

Indeed. Not that many Pokémon games haven't been released in all regions.

Here's a list

1996: Pokémon Blue - Never in EU/US
Complex but encounter rates/trades etc. from here were never used in the west

I say it's just more than Blue, we also never got the original Red and Green and likewise Japan never got our version of Pokémon Red and Blue.

So they are all in effect the same games.

Not exactly, the original Japanese Red and Green had different sprite and the
Cerulean Cave had a different design.

The Japanese Blue had different Pokémon encounter, like for example you could catch Jynx in Seaform Island, whereas in Red and Green she was a trade Pokémon. Plus Blue had an updated engine, sprite design and the Cerulean Cave was redesigned.

The version we got is from Blue's engine and sprite design but with Red and Green encounter rates and texts. But we kept the Japanese Blue Cerulean Cave design.

We didn't start getting the same version till Gen 3 with the release of Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire.

By using testimonies and the evidence gathered, you’ll get to use reasoning to come up with a conclusion. Pikachu will also follow along.
So will it be like in AA: Investigation, where you used logic to come to one conclusion or I can build my own versions by using different evidence like Sherlock Holmes games? I guess the former, but the latter would be so better.
Pin it all on Tim in all cases.

Pikachu being able to talk, but not being able to attack is something that's actually consistent with Meowth in the anime. He can't fight much anymore because he's using that space in his brain for human speech.

It's just something Pokemon give up to learn human speech I guess. Other than telepathy or legendary Pokemon.

The graphics in this game are beautiful, it's insane. Sure there's a lot of aliasing and it's probably not that open in terms of exploration and what's happening onscreen. But the character models look so good, and the shading and colours are really nice. I'm impressed. I get CG animation vibes.

I know it'll never happen, but imagine graphics like this in a mainline Pokémon game...Imagine!

Hoping it doesn't take too long for us to get this game. It's totally bizarre and not what I ever thought we'd see from a Pokémon game, but that's what makes me really interested in it.

Pikachu being able to talk, but not being able to attack is something that's actually consistent with Meowth in the anime. He can't fight much anymore because he's using that space in his brain for human speech.

It's just something Pokemon give up to learn human speech I guess. Other than telepathy or legendary Pokemon.

That would make sense actually. This isn't Ash's pikachu but another one, and it wouldn't surprise me if he couldn't do any electric attacks becaue he used up all his experience to learn how to talk.

Top Bottom