• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Detective Pikachu movie deal killed #LandisPokemon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

from bottom to top.

YKjRLBq.png

fjdzYIQ.png

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I'm more than ok with him not being attached to such a great project.

Just give me DeVito.

Ashby

Dude's a hack. Detective Pikachu may not be good, but it will likely be better than his nonsense.

Eh, I'm not huge on the guy either but at least it would have probably been closer to what we think of as a traditional Pokemon story of a young kid trying to make his way up the League ladder and catch a bunch of Pokemon. Detective Pikachu is this weird spin-off thing that I have no investment in.

BTA

He's pretty skeevy and I'm happy he's not touching this. I'd much rather have a potentially fun Detective Pikachu movie than whatever that script was going to be.

Twentieth

Eh, I'm not huge on the guy either but at least it would have probably been closer to what we think of as a traditional Pokemon story of a young kid trying to make his way up the League ladder and catch a bunch of Pokemon. Detective Pikachu is this weird spin-off thing that I have no investment in.

Agreed. I don't think Detective Pikachu is a good concept, I much rather see a live-action movie attempt to portray the journey of a hero character training his Pokémon to become the best. It probably wouldn't work, but I'd love to see it.

Salsa

Detective Pikachu route is hella smart for kiddie merchandise despicable me movie

also probably not what the older nostalgic crowd wanted out of this, as he says

his output is hit or miss but from concept alone the hints he'd thrown around about what it would have been about had me more hyped than a Pikachu centric film, as many billions of toys that's gonna sell

Oh. Yeah. Hilarious. Haha.

well I rather rate ideas on how they look on paper rather than the possibility of it happening

lookin back I dont see how this would have been greenlit without PIKACHU in big bold letters at the center

he pitched it 4 times, tho. someone liked it.

Cartman86

Banned
Landis isn't great, but it sounded like he was actually going to make a real Pokemon movie which would have been a hilarious train wreck worth watching.

1. I'm not an enormous Landis fan but I certainly loved Chronicle and didn't hate some of his other stuff. Moreso I really like him just for getting so many people fucking SALTY as fuck about shit he says. Like, people get so irate about Landis. I love it.
2. I'd much rather watch his Pokemon movie if that was the starting team of the character in it.
3. I will only see Detective Devitochu. Otherwise 0 fucking dollars.

I don't think that would have really made for a great movie. And even if it could have, Landis is not the guy to write it. This movie could have only been awful.

Detective Pikachu will almost certainly be awful, too (well, if it actually gets made), but at least Landis isn't involved.

Edwins

In his younger days he envisioned a Mario film that featured Wario gunning down Daisy with an Uzi.

Landis would not have made a traditional Pokémon story. He's the type that thinks it needs a weird, edgy reimagining.

In his younger days he envisioned a Mario film that featured Wario gunning down Daisy with an Uzi.

Landis would not have made a traditional Pokémon story. He's the type that thinks it needs a weird, edgy reimagining.

He realizes how cringy and dumb that would be, he's not an idiot, as much as some here make him out to be.

I would have gladly taken an original Pokemon movie from him. All his original, not completely fucked with ideas have turned out alright, especially so with Chronicle.

Salsa

he made that as a young kid way before actually working on scripts and he called it just terrible and him having fun

he wasnt ever making that for real dude lol c'mon

Anyone wanna fill in the story here? I wasn't aware of Max Landis talking about/being attached to anything Pokémon at all before now, so all I know is that apparently he's not.

Salsa

his Ghostubers 3 was great

whatever you say about the dude you can't say he's not passionate about franchises

granted we know nothing about Detective Pikachu or who's making it, but from the get-go and how it bases itself around it's most popular and sellable character rather than years of a very simple yet awesome setup, it feels a lot more machine / studio-like than someone who really wanted to bring the core of it to film

I get that he's loud and obnoxious but I just think it's hilarious that he gets such a bad rep for it

Anyone wanna fill in the story here? I wasn't aware of Max Landis talking about/being attached to anything Pokémon at all before now, so all I know is that apparently he's not.

there aint much. just that starters tweet, some thoughts on pokemon battles he threw around. the concept of pokeballs. he was kinda going deep

he just dropped hints throughout yeeeeeeears that he was involved in it

then last week he posted something like "the next 9 days decide something ive been working on since forever, fingers crossed"

and now he dropped that

again; opinions. Dude at least wanted to make this film since before Detective Pikachu was even a concept

dunno, seemed genuine to me. I would have been ok with it

edit: im gonna go ahead and leave "Ghostubers"

Edwins

Max Landis likes to write fanfiction about stuff he likes. He then tries to pitch it (he did the same with Fantastic Four). The studios never seem to agree with him that his bold adaptation is the next big thing.

Salsa

Max Landis likes to write fanfiction about stuff he likes. He then tries to pitch it (he did the same with Fantastic Four). The studios never seem to agree with him that his bold adaptation is the next big thing.

he recently made a series of tweets about his Ghosbusters 3 pitch and how the studio loved it and he got hired

then Paul Fieg showed interest with his pull and they dropped him

his Ghostubers 3 was great

"the second coming of Gozer", aaaand switch channel for different movie.
Well intended, but you don't start by saying: "we got nothing better than the same thing".

Studio executives may be pricks, but they're not stupid either. They know when something won't be its own thing than can be sold.

As for pitching Fantastic Four: Family. That's literally the only thing that's different from them and other heroes. They have the family life that the others can't have. Or more to the point: that they need to have in order to prevent Richard from going full psycho.
I still want to see Tranks cut of the 2015 movie.

Maybe I'm just a little more sympathetic since I'm a 'screenwriter' too, but I feel for him. It really sucks being excited and passionate about a project, getting right on the cusp of a greenlight and then some wrecking ball demolishes it all. It's happened to me a couple of times (not on the scale of this, per say) and I'm only 22, so now I'm working on independent things for film festivals that will hopefully see some results in the next year or two.

I've never been the biggest fan of his, but he definitely has chops. He just gets a little too loud, a little too "edge-lord" and a little too outspoken about things and generally, that doesn't win you much in an industry that thrives on secrecy and silence. Hopefully he gets another Chronicle soon (I mean a hit. Chronicle was such a bizzare occurrence, it will almost assuredly never strike twice) because his repuatation is dipping hard and the guy is being looked at as film poison now.

Platy

I liked some of his movies and specialy his YouTube shorts but yeah I am cool that it was canned.

His GB3 idea was shit and I can't see his Pokemon one going too far.

Like ... wtf is that Pokemon team ? That goes against every logic in the games

Edwins

He talks a good game, but his actual scripts don't hold up. His Fantastic Four had some interesting ideas, but the execution seemed pretty bad (Jeremy Slater seems to be in the same mold, and big surprise his Fantastic Four didn't work out at all). Any writer can make it seem like their pitch was going to be wonderful. I can say "Hey, Jeremy Slater's actual Fantastic Four script had Galactus, Moloids, and a nod to Ben Grimm using a trenchcoat to get out." That's completely accurate. When you start digging deeper, though, Slater's original Fantastic Four script made some... odd choices. Those odd choices only got worse as the project "evolved" into Fant4stic. Landis is in the same mold. People say it's the futzing with his work that ruins it, but the original work is more flawed than it sounds in a few tweets. I'd wager Nintendo didn't veto his script because it was just too damn good.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I know Pokémon Go is huge but Detective Pikachu? You fucking shitting me? I've heard of some dumb ideas but this with Max Landis? Yeah that sounds like a terrible combination.

B33

Banned
I don't like Max Landis' Ghostbusters 3 pitch... But he's good at pitching films. Landis knows how to sell you on a movie.

NYR

Landis sucks. American Ultra, Victor Frankenstein and Me Him Her all sucked and bombed accordingly.

He writes shit movies and thinks he is an Internet God. Pretentious cock who where he is because of nepotism.

Edwins

I know Pokémon Go is huge but Detective Pikachu? You fucking shitting me? I've heard of some dumb ideas but this with Max Landis? Yeah that sounds like a terrible combination.

Detective Pikachu is NOT from Landis. Landis was going to do a "regular" Pokémon adaptation (which would assuredly not have been "regular" with Landis). The good detective killed the Landis movie.

I'm starting to warm up to this rodent already...

Salsa

Maybe I'm just a little more sympathetic since I'm a 'screenwriter' too, but I feel for him. It really sucks being excited and passionate about a project, getting right on the cusp of a greenlight and then some wrecking ball demolishes it all. It's happened to me a couple of times (not on the scale of this, per say) and I'm only 22, so now I'm working on independent things for film festivals that will hopefully see some results in the next year or two.

I've never been the biggest fan of his, but he definitely has chops. He just gets a little too loud, a little too "edge-lord" and a little too outspoken about things and generally, that doesn't win you much in an industry that thrives on secrecy and silence. Hopefully he gets another Chronicle soon (I mean a hit. Chronicle was such a bizzare occurrence, it will almost assuredly never strike twice) because his repuatation is dipping hard and the guy is being looked at as film poison now.

the only real way I feel "bad" for him is that 80 percent of the people giving him shit have no idea what being a screenwriter is or what his job entails to the overall making of a film, apparently

Zubz

Banned
The only name I need to see attached is Danny DeVito.

I've never seen any of Landis' work, so I can't say one way or another how it would've went. I'd honestly much rather have a traditional "Quest to the E4" plot, anyway. But joke script or not, I can't support a guy that kills Daisy in his Mario script. That just ain't cool.

Maybe I'm just a little more sympathetic since I'm a 'screenwriter' too, but I feel for him. It really sucks being excited and passionate about a project, getting right on the cusp of a greenlight and then some wrecking ball demolishes it all. It's happened to me a couple of times and I'm only 22, so now I'm working on independent things for film festivals that will hopefully see some results in the next year or two.

I've never been the biggest fan of his, but he definitely has chops. He just gets a little too loud, a little too "edge-lord" and a little too outspoken about things and generally, that doesn't win you much in an industry that thrives on secrecy and silence. Hopefully he gets another Chronicle soon (I mean a hit. Chronicle was such a bizzare occurrence, it will almost assuredly never strike twice) because his repuatation is dipping hard and the guy is being look at as film poison now.

No he's not, he sold his Bright script for Will Smith's upcoming 90 million budgeted Netflix movie for 3.5 million dollars. (one of the highest sums a writer has seen in years). He sold Deeper to MGM with Bradley Cooper attached to star in a 40 million budgeted film.

PSqueak

Banned
He wants us to believe that he's down with pokemon, but those tweets read like he's not aware detective pikachu is an upcoming game and that will likely be the basis of the movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom