• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Detroit: Become Human |OT| These Violent Delights Have Violent Ends

NovumAngel

Banned
1508900498989z3s6l.jpg

Platform: Playstation 4
Developer: Quantic Dream
Publisher: Sony Interactive Entertainment
Release Date: 25th May 2018
Genre: Action / Adventure
Price: €69.99 (EU Digital Deluxe Edition), $69.99 (US Digital Deluxe Edition) (41.4 GB) (Demo available EU | US)
Official Website: Link

Metacritic: 80
OpenCritic: 80 'Strong'
Review Thread: Link

Playstation Pro Enhancements:
  • 2160p checkerboard at 30 FPS
  • GUI in full 2160p
  • Volumetric lighting: 235x135x64
  • Support HDR TV

9200000051309428.jpg

detroit-become-human-437473.21.jpg

detroit-digital-deluxe.jpg

71t6pOHG5hL._SL1500_-890x501.jpg

PS4 Game: Detroit: Become Human, Limited Edition Special Artbook, Original Digital Soundtrack, PS4 Original Theme, Sticker

STORY
What makes us human?

Enter the near-future metropolis of Detroit in 2038 – a city rejuvenated by the introduction of highly advanced androids that exist only to serve mankind. But that’s all about to change…

Step into the shoes of three distinct android characters as this brave new world teeters on the brink of chaos. Your decisions dramatically alter how the game’s intense, branching narrative plays out. With thousands of choices and dozens of endings, how will you affect the future of Detroit?
The Main Characters - Take control of three playable protagonists who can change the course of destiny for humanity and androids alike.

Play your part in a gripping narrative - Enter a world where moral dilemmas and difficult decisions can turn android slaves into world-changing revolutionaries.
Discover what it means to be human from the perspective of an outsider – and see the world through the eyes of a machine.

Their lives, your choices - Shape an ambitious branching narrative, where your decisions not only determine the fate of the three main characters, but that of the entire city of Detroit. How you control Kara, Connor and Markus can mean life or death – and if one of them pays the ultimate price, the story still continues…

CHARACTERS
detroit-become-human-connor.jpg

Connor
Played by Bryan Dechart (True Blood; The Remaining)
Become a bleeding-edge prototype android, investigating crime scenes and disturbances across Detroit’s humming metropolis.

As special police investigator Connor, your mission is to assist the Detroit Police Department in tracking down deviants – androids that have broken their programming, abandoned their owners or turned to crime.

Will you remain cool, calculating and ruthlessly analytical in your job? Or will you begin to feel empathy for the plight of your fellow androids and question the legitimacy of your mission?

maxresdefault.jpg

Markus
Played by Jesse Williams (Grey’s Anatomy; The Cabin in the Woods)
Your chance to spark the fire that could lead to an android insurrection lies through Markus, another ‘deviant’ who has broken free of his programming.

After escaping his master and joining a growing underground faction of dissidents, Markus takes charge in the organised liberation of Detroit’s android population – but in sending a strong message to humans, will you take him on the path of pacifist disruption… or defiant violence?

10424.jpg

Kara
Played by Valorie Curry (The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Part 2; Blair Witch)
See the impoverished and run-down side of Detroit through the eyes of a newly-manufactured android that has broken her programming.

Classed as a deviant and on the run with an innocent girl she’s sworn to protect, Kara is thrown into a brutal world where you must guide her to either accept the inequalities around her… or strive to do something about them in an effort to keep her surrogate child safe.

GAMEPLAY
Detroit: Become Human is an action-adventure game played from a third-person view, which is subject to a set and controllable perspective. There are multiple playable characters in the game who can die as the story continues without them; as a result, there is no "game over" message following a character's death. The story will branch out depending on which choices are made. The player will be able to rewind to certain points in the story to reshape decisions in the event of regret. Obtaining clues by highlighting and analysing the environment with augmented vision allows one character, Connor, to reconstruct and replay events that occurred before. The more information Connor collects within an allotted time, the greater the chance of success will be in deciding a course of action.

se2HMlR.jpg

detroit-become-human-1.jpg

DBH_Feat-1.jpg

Detroit-Become-Human-1.jpg

Calibos

Nice OT with the Westworld reference!

There is a part of me that wants to buy this just because of Westworld...but I have't been able to tolerate any of the games from this developer. Need to watch some videos first.

NovumAngel

Banned
As a Detroiter, allow me to state I hate that this wussy game is named after my city. Barely has anything to do with us.
This joke wasn't funny the first time you made it either.

Nice OT with the Westworld reference!

There is a part of me that wants to buy this just because of Westworld...but I have't been able to tolerate any of the games from this developer. Need to watch some videos first.
Thanks!
I'd say to check out the demo, it's a scene involving Connor who will probably be the most involved gameplay wise (investigating and questioning criminals) so it'll give you a good idea of whether you'll enjoy it or not.

DeadmanPhoenix

Neo Member
Erm, I really wanted to roleplay Deckard with Connor and bring the broken deviants to justice, but I
<spoiler>Accidentally sacrificed myself to save a girl 5 minutes into the game</spoiler>
Is that it? Did I lose my chance to roleplay as the shining light of order in this world of broken hardware and deviant software?

NovumAngel

Banned
Erm, I really wanted to roleplay Deckard with Connor and bring the broken deviants to justice, but I
<spoiler>/snip</spoiler>
Is that it? Did I lose my chance to roleplay as the shining light of order in this world of broken hardware and deviant software?
Try and use spoiler tags properly in the future; "Insert -> Spoiler".
And yes he does die for the rest of the playthrough unless you want to go back in the flowchart and re-do the scene

Ar¢tos

As a Detroiter, allow me to state I hate that this wussy game is named after my city. Barely has anything to do with us.
On the behalf of Quantic Dream and every other game developer in the world, please accept our deepest apologies. Next time we will send people door to door to get written consent from every single resident of a city before using it in a game or game title. We can only imagine the horrors this unfortunate situation must have brought into your life. Specifically such an amazing fantastic place like... DETROIT...

Hotspurr

Banned

There used to be a time when people could just read these comments and have a good chuckle. Instead there have been like 5 replies being defensive about this comment. Is there some hidden joke I'm not in on? It seems everyone on the internet is in the business of being offended these days.

On topic though, I am really curious about this game. If it's a gem like until dawn was I might pick it up.

NovumAngel

Banned
There used to be a time when people could just read these comments and have a good chuckle. Instead there have been like 5 replies being defensive about this comment. Is there some hidden joke I'm not in on? It seems everyone on the internet is in the business of being offended these days.

On topic though, I am really curious about this game. If it's a gem like until dawn was I might pick it up.
I wouldn't say I'm offended by his joke, but it's recycled material and wasn't even funny the first time. /shrug
For reference he posted it in one of the other threads about this game.

DeadmanPhoenix

Neo Member
So far it portrays humans as the absolute dicks. I am not sure what to take out of it, because obviously this is not true 100 percent of the time. I really don't like black/white plots, but hell, let's see if I'll be able to finish the game as it is.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I'm curious to know if android in Detroit would have been much more happy if they lived in NieR Automata's world.:p

RPGCrazied

and damn, I guess I'm playing casual first, tried experienced and the 1st character already died. lol

Last edited:

Pejo

Wading cautiously in this thread. I'd like to read some opinions on this, but trying to avoid spoilers in case I pick it up.

RPGCrazied

Played a couple hours. Pretty good so far. Scene spoilers do not click if you're just starting.
The fight between kara and todd was intense!

ROFL this game is sooooooo David Cage, a beginning segment literally opens with a South Park style "Dey Took Are Jobs!!!". Like there's some real unintentionally hilarious shit with the camera pans and dialogue where a preacher
is saying that androids are the devil.

Also like a true David Cage experience I'm now washing dishes and doing house chores.

Don't get me wrong I love this style of game but Cage just can't stop himself.

There's some good stuff in the game though, I actually really like some the individual character's moments like Kara and the characters are really likable. The production quality is top notch though with some really nice motion capture and animation. You can tell the development team at QD really put some effort into this game.

Binged this game all day and finished my first playthough.

9/10. Gorgeous game, memorable soundtrack, insane flowcharts. A lot of choices really made me think about them, but everyone managed to survive. Connor was my favorite with the detective missions and interactions. Kara was an emotional rollercoaster that left me in tears at my ending. Markus started off slow but steadily got better and very fulfilling.

God of War has genuine competition for my GOTY.

nowhat

I'm actually quite enjoying this so far. Sure, to say that the writing is a bit heavy-handed at times is like saying water is slightly wet, but hey, it's David Cage, didn't expect otherwise. I think the sometimes awkward dialogue is offset by how good the characters look. In previous QD games, the characters still seemed so artificial that it emphasized the at times poor dialogue, here it's somehow easier to forget (that is not to say the game wouldn't take a trip to uncanny valley quite often, but it's so much better than the previous games). My main complaint thus far is that having the right stick control both camera and actions can be cumbersome at times, but it's a minor one. I did have to restart the game once already though (very early game spoilers):
When Todd tells Kara to be still and goes upstairs to beat Alice, I was waiting for a "press X to Alice"-prompt to appear. That didn't happen, eventually when you wait long enough Todd kills both. But it was actually quite amusing when restarting the game, the main menu android kept scorning me like "how could you let Kara and Alice die?"

Last edited:

Gradly

Just finished the game and I have to say I’m impressed by the insane number of choices and decisions that will affect the character in a later level

Dunki

Just finished the game and boy this goes some places and the choices you have is incredible.

Overall I really enjoyed this game and I think its the best one from Quantic Dream so far. Also to all these journalists who have shunned it for being to on the nose about slavery etc. Its bullshit it tells a great story (maye depends on your choices) and it also says alot about Slavery and its protest. But I guess these people given their views have just chosen the very violent approach in the end.

Really liked it

RPGCrazied

Feel like its longer then 10 hours. Still haven't completed the game yet, though I try to do everything in a scene.

Binged this game all day and finished my first playthough.

9/10. Gorgeous game, memorable soundtrack, insane flowcharts. A lot of choices really made me think about them, but everyone managed to survive. Connor was my favorite with the detective missions and interactions. Kara was an emotional rollercoaster that left me in tears at my ending. Markus started off slow but steadily got better and very fulfilling.

God of War has genuine competition for my GOTY.

On the first Connor homicide investigation, is the alternate path?
Going through the backdoor instead of the roof? I meant to go through there but Clancy Brown backed me off.

MultiCore

I just finished my first time through.

Had to make a lot of choices I didn't like. Great game, gorgeous at times, but it does stumble on occasion. Controls can be maddening.

It's not for everyone, but I loved my time with it. I really want to see all the scenes I didn't get to see my first time through.

cormack12

Gold Member
How does it compare to Heavy Rain and Beyond? I liked both of those, is the same kind of thing? More refined? Better or worse?

DeadmanPhoenix

Neo Member
IMO it's better than both, the best game from QD so far. Still has the signature hamfisted writing by David Cage, but you know the guy, he can't help himself.

Hostile_18

Banned
I just finished my first time through.

Had to make a lot of choices I didn't like.

Heard that a few times now. What do you mean exactly? Like there's another choice you wanted that the game didn't give you? (Bad), choices where there was no clear right answer (good) or the outcome of choices didn't work out how you hoped they would play out in your head (again good), or something completely different!?

Last edited:
IMO it's better than both, the best game from QD so far. Still has the signature hamfisted writing by David Cage, but you know the guy, he can't help himself.

I'm not done and there is some ham fisted moments in the beginning. But there's also some really great stuff, one thing Cage games do excel at is slow tension and trying to figure out the right choice. Especially here, I've poked fun at the game but I'm really starting to love it and there's some moments that really shine.

The scene with Markus
trying to repair himself in the junk heap, and the section with Kara and Ralph at the dinner table.
Are really freaking for good. For me the games highs far outweigh any of it's lows so far.

If anything I think it's biggest flaw is that alternate paths are rather obscure at times and seem to be found through trial and error in some cases during exploration rather than deduction.

Dunki

I'm not done and there is some ham fisted moments in the beginning. But there's also some really great stuff, one thing Cage games do excel at is slow tension and trying to figure out the right choice. Especially here, I've poked fun at the game but I'm really starting to love it and there's some moments that really shine.

The scene with Markus
trying to repair himself in the junk heap, and the section with Kara and Ralph at the dinner table.
Are really freaking for good. For me the games highs far outweigh any of it's lows so far.

If anything I think it's biggest flaw is that alternate paths are rather obscure at times and seem to be found through trial and error in some cases during exploration rather than deduction.
I finshed it and do not even know who ralph is XD

RuhRo

I’m only a few hours in and feel confident this is QD’s best game, as others have been noting. I thought Beyond was a step back from Heavy Rain—less interactivity, more hammy writing, sillier plot, pacing problems. This is a clear step forward from both. It feels like they went back to Heavy Rain and perfected that formula. (In fact there are so many direct echoes of that earlier game in Detroit that it almost feels like a reimagining of the same scenarios and settings at times.)

It’s also one of those games that’s so visually rich every frame feels like a work of art. Some of the most detailed assets we’ve ever seen in real time, in a game. It dazzles in person in a way I hadn’t anticipated from pre-release footage, either.

I have encountered one moment where it felt weird that I didn’t get to choose something plot-pivotal:
Connor giving up the deviant in the attic to the cops, which is presented as a tough dilemma, then you’re not allowed to choose.

Last edited:
I’m only a few hours in and feel confident this is QD’s best game, as others have been noting. I thought Beyond was a step back from Heavy Rain—less interactivity, more hammy writing, sillier plot, pacing problems. This is a clear step forward from both. It feels like they went back to Heavy Rain and perfected that formula. (In fact there are so many direct echoes of that earlier game in Detroit that it almost feels like a reimagining of the same scenarios and settings at times.)

It’s also one of those games that’s so visually rich every frame feels like a work of art. Some of the most detailed assets we’ve ever seen in real time, in a game. It dazzles in person in a way I hadn’t anticipated from pre-release footage, either.

I have encountered one moment where it felt weird that I didn’t get to choose something plot-pivotal:
Connor giving up the deviant in the attic to the cops, which is presented as a tough dilemma, then you’re not allowed to choose.

Yea, that got me too, vas very surprised I didn't get to choose..cause, I was thinking about different plot.

MultiCore

Heard that a few times now. What do you mean exactly? Like there's another choice you wanted that the game didn't give you? (Bad), choices where there was no clear right answer (good) or the outcome of choices didn't work out how you hoped they would play out in your head (again good), or something completely different!?
I wanted to behave in a way the game didn't offer me the option to.

There are a lot of choices with no clear right answer. I really had to let go of my desire to try and obtain the best outcomes on my first run, and just resign myself to playing through it multiple times for the best results.

I'm gonna try playing the opposite way that I did the first time, but I can't expect the outcomes to be good, lol.

Moneal

I wanted to behave in a way the game didn't offer me the option to.

There are a lot of choices with no clear right answer. I really had to let go of my desire to try and obtain the best outcomes on my first run, and just resign myself to playing through it multiple times for the best results.

I'm gonna try playing the opposite way that I did the first time, but I can't expect the outcomes to be good, lol.

The coolest thing to me, is that some options don't even show up if you go to places in different orders.

like after kara and alice leave the house, if you don't go to the abandoned house, where the fence needs to be cut, before the convenience store you can't steal the wire cutters.

Top Bottom