• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Detroit: Become Human |OT| These Violent Delights Have Violent Ends

The branching is so good. The obvious feel good route that people are touting as the "intended" story pales in comparison to what happens when you deliberately make shit hit the fan. Connor as the Terminator-like antagonist, Markus leading a full on rebellion and making Kara suffer as much as possible. I can't believe it but David Cage has really outdone himself. I expected another trainwreck like his usual work but Detroit is great.

I've started to get this feeling too after scouring YouTube, too. The "bad" endings are far better written and thematically stronger than the "good" endings.

Moneal

I've started to get this feeling too after scouring YouTube, too. The "bad" endings are far better written and thematically stronger than the "good" endings.

I think that has to do with tropes in general really. We are used to the good endings, and they just don't feel as fulfilling or as real as bad endings.

The machine ending with Hank, just stung so much. As Connor walked out, I knew what was coming, but I still jumped at the gunshot and the feeling of sadness hit like a truck. It just felt more real than the deviant Connor ending.

I liked that playthrough because I felt it humanizes Kara even more. Connor and Markus essentially become a violent backdrop for her struggle to find a normal life for her and Alice. It made giving her a happy ending all the more poignant. I especially loved it when
Markus' violent uprising liberates a captured Kara and Alice from the recall center.
Which was very cliche but I didn't expect that kind of interweaving especially since for the most part Kara's is more of a sidestory to the overarching narrative.

Hopefully Quantic Dream can keep improving the whole choice and consequence thing and maybe inspire other devs to do the same.

wvnative

I don't know rather to get this game or not. As someone with a neurological muscle condition, I basically can't use motion controls. Some lady on twitter told me a dev came to her and said "Casual mode" is worded incorrectly and only simplifies the controls, getting rid of the motion and swipe controls. But I just ran through the demo twice, and immediately found that when you have to catch the little girl when Daniel jumps, failing the QTE means Connor doesn't catch her in time. Well on Casual the QTE never shows up, so you catch her automatically. That right there is a possible outcome I'd be locked out of on Casual mode...

What's with Nintendo's and David Cage's insistence on motion crap?

I don't know rather to get this game or not. As someone with a neurological muscle condition, I basically can't use motion controls. Some lady on twitter told me a dev came to her and said "Casual mode" is worded incorrectly and only simplifies the controls, getting rid of the motion and swipe controls. But I just ran through the demo twice, and immediately found that when you have to catch the little girl when Daniel jumps, failing the QTE means Connor doesn't catch her in time. Well on Casual the QTE never shows up, so you catch her automatically. That right there is a possible outcome I'd be locked out of on Casual mode...

Casual mode still has touchpad swipes, so even if you wanted to give it a shot, it might still give you some trouble. Sorry, dude. :c

SonicSleuth

What's with your insistence that they make the game specifically for you? They put in a casual mode so non-gamers can enjoy it more and add accessibility, and you found a way to complain about that. Let that sink in.

If you don't want to play the game, don't play it. If you do, do. But don't btch about how the game isn't perfectly suited to your condition when the vast majority of games could give a sht whether non-gamers can play them at all.

You simply can't please people anymore. No matter what you do, it's not enough.

wvnative

What's with your insistence that they make the game specifically for you? They put in a casual mode so non-gamers can enjoy it more and add accessibility, and you found a way to complain about that. Let that sink in.

If you don't want to play the game, don't play it. If you do, do. But don't btch about how the game isn't perfectly suited to your condition when the vast majority of games could give a sht whether non-gamers can play them at all.

I agree not every game can be designed around my or anyone elses needs and I'd never want devs to compromise their vision. However in this case, simpler prompts already exist, they'd just need to swap them. I just think it would be wrong to potentially lock people out of potential outcomes just cause they elected to use simpler controls the devs themselves provided as an option. the difference i experienced in the demo was pretty minor so maybe I'm just paranoid?

Well that was unnecessarily rude.

Why does the press, which most of has a raging hate-boner for this game, get this incredible version of the game while I'm stuck with the terrible boxart in the retail release?

http://www.coupleofpixels.be/archive/2018/05/22/deballage-du-kit-presse-de-detroit-become-human.html

1338921085.jpg

2750795490.jpg

Last edited:

vpance

The branching is so good. The obvious feel good route that people are touting as the "intended" story pales in comparison to what happens when you deliberately make shit hit the fan. Connor as the Terminator-like antagonist, Markus leading a full on rebellion and making Kara suffer as much as possible. I can't believe it but David Cage has really outdone himself. I expected another trainwreck like his usual work but Detroit is great.

I'm part of the 1%ers that went full on Terminator Connor. There's some sense of irony in that ending that just works, I think. Haven't seen the other endings yet tho.

SonicSleuth

Well that was unnecessarily rude.
So is shitting on a game maker who has catered to you already, implying they're ignoring your needs. People feel real comfortable calling out David Cage as though he's a problem in the games industry, and this is just another glaring example. Was Cage supposed to make it easier for less capable people to LOSE? Because that's what this dude is asking for. It's asinine.

I'm sorry if your .02% of the population isn't completely happy, but name-calling the game designer in this situation is dumb. The game designer makes it MORE accessible to a larger group of people while still having a game mechanic present, and this guy has a problem with that.

Meanwhile, the reality of the matter is that if this guy really wants to see that outcome, he can change the difficulty, drop the girl, then change the difficulty back afterward. Because the game gives you checkpoints and control over your difficulty setting throughout. But that's not enough. Yikes.

Dunki

I am so glad that these obvious biased reviews from games "journalists" did not archive what they wanted and make this game a complete failure. Mabye it is time to ditch all these "journalists" and concentrate more on communities, fans and also streamers.

After watching too many youtube vids, I think I'm sold on this game. I'm actually shocked about this. You can make these characters feel 'christian-like' with no swearing, and totally relatable, while facing off against tough odds, violent situations, mature topics, and gruesome realities. It's so rare for me to find something like this where I can feel totally immersed with a character in an intense story. I love it!

Also, the music sounds fantastic. I wish there was a physical release for the OST.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I just finished this game for the first time and... damn. Absolutely blown away by the experience.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Just finished and I'm somewhere in the middle.

It's a very well made game and the sheer amount of paths is crazy.

But I felt a lot like I did with LA Noire a lot in which sometimes the choices weren't exactly clear and I ended up making choices I didn't mean to.

And literally one choice wasn't clear at all and it completely screwed my entire story.

I mean I guess that's the point? But it felt like a switch aroo just to throw the player off.

Maybe I'll go back and try to "fix" it and see how I feel.

DonF

I just finished the game for the first time. I loved it. It took me close to 15 hours I think, not really a short game. And I would love to play it again. I loved playing it with hdr on, it looks amazing, too bad my TV adds a little bit of input lag in hdr mode, it made some QTEs a little bit harder.

Sanojio

So, it's not true that only Connor and Markus can spread deviancy. When you get to CyberLife HQ, Connor starts it, but every droid in there spreads it out amongst each other.

They are the only ones that can spread it remotely, en masse without touch such as the freedom march.

Valonquar

Fortunately you can pause and go to main menu, then continue to redo shit if you fuck up a QTE without having to replace a whole chapter most of the time. Had to do that a few times when what I was selecting didn't really line up with what I thought it was going to do. This was especially bad during most interactions with Connor and Hank.

nowhat

I thought I was going to give a heads up about there being an AMA on reddit with David Cage today, but...

So yeah, two weeks from now. If you've never participated in an AMA, a) the chances of your question being answered range from slim to nil, and b) some AMAs are really "ask me anything", others more like "ask me questions I'm comfortable answering". With that said, if you've ever wanted to throw a curve ball at David Cage (not American and know fuck all about baseball, hopefully I used that idiom right), that may be your chance.

Valonquar

Last one they did was just various versions of them answering people saying they liked the game with "Thanks"
I'd like real answers to real questions.

I just got around to beating this game today. And I just have this to say.

SONY please for the love of god do NOT let David Cage WRITE any more games! Let him direct, let him produce, run a studio whatever. Do not let him write!!! He can't write for shit. How many more examples do we need?

Because this is a very talented studio and they make a cool product. Certainly some of that credit goes to Cage. But the writing, the plots, the dialogue: they are garbage. And its such a shame because its a waste of a talented dev team with good artists and a decent production pipeline.

6/10

Last edited:

Atrus

Gold Member
I finished this last night on a binge and was it ever amazing. The best Quantic Dream game to date.

I played all of the characters fairly consistently and so got what was probably the most positive ending, though a lack of an epilogue makes me think DLC might be in the cards.

I liked the somewhat freaky looking Chloe in the menus, and found the World statistics option fairly amusing to read through and understand.

Most players seem hopeful and optimistic, at least before multiple play through a slew results.

I also like the integration of ‘touch’ elements with rumble, as when playing a musical instrument and the thematic changes between mystery and suspense narratively.

The story itself is not unique, owing to a lot of pre-existing influences, but what I really like about these games are the handful of crisis decisions it puts you in.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I finally finished it, great game. I screwed up and one char dies in the last mission but it was very engaging and a good story. This is a great addition to a market that makes a lot of games that look and play the same.

I thought I was going to give a heads up about there being an AMA on reddit with David Cage today, but...

So yeah, two weeks from now. If you've never participated in an AMA, a) the chances of your question being answered range from slim to nil, and b) some AMAs are really "ask me anything", others more like "ask me questions I'm comfortable answering". With that said, if you've ever wanted to throw a curve ball at David Cage (not American and know fuck all about baseball, hopefully I used that idiom right), that may be your chance.

I'll be there with bells on. Really curious to know at what point David Cage decided it was appropriate to use the genocide of my people as a profit motive, and whether he stands by his statement that this game isn't political.

Also if he realizes that if he'd cast anyone other than Bryan Dechart and Clancy Brown as Connor and Hank, the game would've probably been his worst to date. Bryan has been selling this game moreso than anything else.

Also if he has a naked render of Jesse Williams lying around somewhere that he'd like to leak out, or if that was a privilege exclusive to Ellen Page.

I'm just saying Jesse Williams is probably my ideal man, ok.

Bluecondor

I was looking to see if there was a LTTP thread for Detroit yet, but all I could find was this original OT from when the game was released.

I put off playing this game for awhile, and finally picked it up for Christmas break.

I have been playing it for the past two nights, and I am blown away by the story and the characters. While I can see how science fiction fans might have strong negative opinions about certain characters and parts of the story, the overall theme of androids, humanity and society in the late-2030s really holds my attention.

The sheer number of choices and branches in the various stories really make the minutes/hours fly by in the game. I can tell that this game is going to stay with me - the depiction of life in the late-2030s is thought provoking in many ways (society, economy, technology, humanity). An excellent game!

I personally did not think Detroit was that good. But I still enjoyed playing it. I only bought it because I want to support this type of game.

I like what they are trying to do. And I like David Cage's creative vision. But I really hope for thier next game Cage can step aside a bit and let someone else write the story, the dialogue and and do the casting and directing.

The technology is sound. Its everything else that needs help.

One minor complaint. And this might sound like nit picking. But it really bothers me. Please stop casting clearly french speaking actors for english speaking roles!!

When you cast the President of the United States so obvisously speaks with a french accent, its like forehead slap... why didn't someone stop David Cage from casting her!

It is something that is super jarring to a native english speaker. It breaks any possibility of plausibility.

I would MUCH rather David direct a game in French set in a French speaking location and just have english subs! Stop trying to make English speaking games if you do not have a grasp of what English dialog is supposed to sound like. Please either step aside or do it in French.

Anyway, will look forward to whatever their next game is as usual.

Last edited:

marcincz

I beat a game few days ago and I am wondering about one funny/strange or maybe normal thing.
Snow. Mass amount of snow. For 20 years in Detroit? On november? Is it even possible?

LordOfChaos

Quarantine finally got this out of my backlog. It was awesome!? Seems very underrated to me, when it came out I didn't think much of it.

The music, visuals, cinematography, and characters were all great.

RA9 was never explained and the Russian plot that the magazines kept hinting at didn't go anywhere (apart from both sides withdrawing), but eh, game resonated. High hopes for whatever Quantic Dream announces next.

Last edited:

manfestival

I played this when it became free on PS Plus and I really enjoyed the game but I hilariously got one of my characters killed before the end. I felt bad and was like OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH DUH after the character died and just laughed to myself

LordOfChaos

I played this when it became free on PS Plus and I really enjoyed the game but I hilariously got one of my characters killed before the end. I felt bad and was like OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH DUH after the character died and just laughed to myself

You can also get nearly everyone killed even if you did everything "right" right till the end segment, or kill at least two of them super early in the game.

manfestival

You can also get nearly everyone killed even if you did everything "right" right till the end segment, or kill at least two of them super early in the game.
I find that extremely funny. I can totally see that though. I felt lost in that last segment. It was so crazy and was just like "If they die, they die" while playing it. Kinda surprised the other 2 survived on my play through. I had a good time playing the game. I wanted to do a second play but haven't gotten around to it.

Top Bottom