• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Detroit: Become Human releases on December 12th, gets a new PC gameplay trailer

CyberPanda

Banned
Qunatic Dream has announced that Detroit: Become Human will come out on the PC on December 12th. Like its previous titles, Detroit: Become Human will be exclusive to the Epic Games Store. In order to celebrate this announcement, the team has also released a new PC gameplay trailer.

Detroit: Become Human promises to feature stunning graphics on the PC, with full 4K native support. The game will also come full integration of both mouse/keyboard and gamepad controls.
Detroit: Become Human will put the destiny of both mankind and androids in your hands. The game will take you to a near and not-so-impossible future where machines have become more intelligent than humans. Every choice you make affects the outcome of the game, with one of the most intricately branching narratives ever created.

Unfortunately, Quantic Dream did not reveal whether there will be a PC demo for Detroit: Become Human. Furthermore, the team has not revealed yet the game’s PC system requirements.

UPDATE:
Quantic Dream issued a press release, noting that a free playable demo will be available on December 12th.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
Worth it. Played it earlier this year. Very cool game. Probably QD’s best yet. I’d recommend picking it up on PC if you don’t own a PS4.

V2Tommy

Almost as good as Heavy Rain (a murder mystery is always better than a political thriller) and deserves a lot more eyeballs on it. First half of Kara arc is superb storytelling.

Siri

Banned
No love for this game on the PC?

I know nothing about it... but having watched a Digital Foundry analysis video of the console version, I’ll bet this game will look great at 4K on a kick ass PC.

I’m going in fresh on this one. Kind of surprised nobody is talking about this? The release is tomorrow, isn’t it?

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
No love for this game on the PC?

I know nothing about it... but having watched a Digital Foundry analysis video of the console version, I’ll bet this game will look great at 4K on a kick ass PC.

I’m going in fresh on this one. Kind of surprised nobody is talking about this? The release is tomorrow, isn’t it?
Probably because it’s on Epic only, and not many people want to buy games there.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Ah, I see.... people still want to give their money to greedy Steam.

Steam provides enormously reliable delivery infrastructure, allows companies to sell keys elsewhere and activate them on steam promoting competition, etc. None of that is without cost. Epic provides little of that while harming competition by buying exclusives. Of the two I prefer Steam but my store of choice is GOG, the only pro consumer store out there.

Siri

Banned
Epic provides little of that while harming competition.

Epic harms competition! LOL.

Steam is a virtual monopoly, and has been for two decades. They can do pretty much whatever they want -including charging insanely high fees for hosting games on their storefront. 30% is insane.

You seriously have balls to say that Epic hurts competition in the face of Steam raping developers and gamers alike, while simultaneously making it virtually impossible for anyone else to start up a digital distribution store.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member

Steam is a virtual monopoly, and has been for two decades. They can do pretty much whatever they want -including charging insanely high fees for hosting games on their storefront. 30% is insane.

You seriously have balls to say that Epic hurts competition in the face of Steam raping developers and gamers alike, while simultaneously making it virtually impossible for anyone else to start up a digital distribution store.
That's a lot of hyperbole there. It's odd that you seem so attached to Epic where I'm happy to use Steam, Gog, Humble, GMG and so on. I've already outlined how Steam does so much to enable competition by allowing people to distribute keys elsewhere - Steam makes nothing from that, but I sense I'm not going to get actual debate here, so good luck with handing your data to the Chinese and paying more for games because nobody else can sell them cheaper.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA

Calm down Sweeney.

manfestival

I really enjoyed the game. Glad to see that more people will have the chance to enjoy it now...despite the EGS. I see the EGS defense force has come out too.

GymWolf

I probably will buy this with a strong discount just to enjoy the graphics in real 4k, usually quantic dream stories are shit tier...

Siri

Banned
I see the EGS defense force has come out too.

LOL. I love gaming forums!

So because I‘m not on my knees praising Steam I’m now a member of ‘The EGS Defense Force’! Sorry, but where in this thread am I praising EGS with such fanaticism?

You’re posting like someone from ResetEra - not actually paying attention to anything that was written, but just making something up and misrepresenting another person in order to prop up your own false narrative.

manfestival

LOL. I love gaming forums!

So because I‘m not on my knees praising Steam I’m now a member of ‘The EGS Defense Force’! Sorry, but where in this thread am I praising EGS with such fanaticism?

You’re posting like someone from ResetEra - not actually paying attention to anything that was written, but just making something up and misrepresenting another person in order to prop up your own false narrative.
Are you new here or something? Going into a gamestop and knocking over a magazine rack like you are doing isn't going to help anyone. Go back to bed Tim Sweeney. It is going to be ok.

ZombieTech

Neo Member
Loved all past QD games, but straight out of the gate Detroit just did not resonate with me whatsoever. Chain/sequence mechanics were neat, but for me atmosphere/environment/plot *cringe*. -_-

VFXVeteran

Banned
This game looks completely next-gen running on the PC @ 4k. They used much higher resolution textures (not a suprise that they probably already had the higher res textures but didn't use them for the PS4). Believe it or not, this game does NOT run at a locked 60FPS at 4k on a 2080Ti. Their materials are top tier and rival The Order 1866 material library. Very few games grab me like this with the materials. Incredible looking game and I'm loving the story so far.

Last edited:

dcx4610

I played it about half-way through and lost interest. I adored Heavy Rain and Beyond but this didn't click much with me despite liking the subject matter on paper. I'll probably get it on PC and finish it there when the price is right.

ZombieTech

Neo Member
I played it about half-way through and lost interest. I adored Heavy Rain and Beyond but this didn't click much with me despite liking the subject matter on paper. I'll probably get it on PC and finish it there when the price is right.
Same for me, on paper and in demo it seemed great. Think part of it for me was the heavy/serious political and social-justice overtones. My career has its excessive fair share of both already.

Glad though that it was able to be a great game for others. :)

Last edited:

Siri

Banned
This game looks completely next-gen running on the PC @ 4k. They used much higher resolution textures (not a suprise that they probably already had the higher res textures but didn't use them for the PS4). Believe it or not, this game does NOT run at a locked 60FPS at 4k on a 2080Ti. Their materials are top tier and rival The Order 1866 material library. Very few games grab me like this with the materials. Incredible looking game and I'm loving the story so far.

More or less, what he said.

Game looks fantastic on the C9 at 4K. And I can confirm that an RTX 2080 Ti can’t quite generate 60 FPS. Thank god for ‘Gsync‘, or VRR, or whatever the hell they’re calling it.

Jasagna

Neo Member
My wife and I loved this game on PS4. What a ride.
Really got invested in the characters. QT events were fun.
Absolutely gorgeous game and art direction.
Plus, it has Clancy Brown which is a good thing in our book.
Also, really loved the loading screen AI and "survey".

Last edited:

Matt_Fox

Become Human is a beautiful looking game - and destined to be a true graphical showcase for high end PCs. The graphics aren't just stunning from a technical point of view but from a design one too, a really compelling and well realised near future world as convincing as anything Hollywood has given us.

Last edited:
PC Gamer's review of Detroit is next level lmao.

PC Gamer said:
However, Detroit is still a game written by David Cage, as incapable of subtlety as ever. Whether its equating the uprising of previously non-sentient beings with North America’s enduring interracial struggle—to the point where androids travel in the back of the bus and later quote Martin Luther King Jr.—or continuing to include female characters in his stories only to see them victimised, I have never seen work so in need of a sensitivity reader.

1. Legit every android character in the game is victimized regardless of gender.
- Markus can be beaten by anti android protesters in his very first scene.
- He's also abused by Todd & framed for murder. Thusly having to craw, barely alive, through an android mass grave and reassemble himself.
- Connor can die in too many ways to bother listing.
2. Un-ironic call for a "sensitivity reader." Which is a complete hustle. There's not even genuine woman or minority outcry about this game. Pretty much all of the actual gamers who played it, loved it.

PC Gamer said:
Kara’s main function is to be a vehicle for the glorifying of violence against women. Each of the three main characters can die if you’re not careful, but Kara’s death leaves no dent on the plot, nor does she develop as a character.

lol Now it's not only victimization but the violence is glorified too. How? What she and the other androids go through are always portrayed as injustices. Also Kara's main function in the story is clearly to explore the concept of motherhood. Unironically, this reviewer is the one reducing her to a victim.

PC Gamer said:
As a person of colour and a woman, I simply don’t see the necessity of strapping a conscious female character onto a torture device, or likening black people to machines through allegory.
This phrasing oddly suggests it'd be better if they tortured an unconscious female, for some reason... That's a BIG yikes. Also, way to miss the entire point of the story. It's extremely obvious that the idea is androids are more than machines. Comparing them to humans wouldn't be insulting unless you literally don't understand the central theme of Detroit.

You have to be aware how it reads to people of certain demographics when, during your shader compilation, players are shown a screen on which every android servant is a person of colour, and the romance model is Caucasian. Honest mistake or not, these associations are exactly what racial conflict is about, and instead of reflecting that, Detroit perpetuates age-old stereotypes.

Now we're at the level of nitpicking some shader compilation I can't even recall. Is this a bonus feature buried in one of the game's menus? This is what happens when you problematize everything you lay eyes on. You cant see the forest for the trees. Literally every Android in Detroit's fiction are servants of a kind by default. The game itself has races of all colors in various roles... But somehow it's a meaningful use of anyone's time to point out the professional makeup, by race, of androids in a shader compilation? That's laughable. And I did laugh, in fact.

Embarrassing reviews like this just confirm (to me, at least) my idea that the SJW side of games journalism simply have a target on David Cage's back because of the different work place dramas that have come out of QD. They'll rake a game like Detroit over the coals for its lack of subtlety yet give a total pass to outright trash like Life Is Strange 2 (Idk if this reviewer did that but I've seen it in places like Giant Bomb). At least with this review in particular it's just comically over-the-top.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Ah, I see.... people still want to give their money to greedy Steam.

nroshz5.jpg

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
If I have a PS4 version of this game I don't think I'd double dip on the game that would be pretty stupid.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Keep on with that straw man. We want to be able to choose where we buy our games from. There are stores other than Steam. If the choice is Steam or Epic I'd choose Steam every time because Steam offers a better service, a better client and better prices through third party keys. You do you though.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Keep on with that straw man. We want to be able to choose where we buy our games from. There are stores other than Steam. If the choice is Steam or Epic I'd choose Steam every time because Steam offers a better service, a better client and better prices through third party keys. You do you though.

People have explained to Tencent shills over and over why they don’t want EGS. There’s simply no point in explaining it again. Yes I just want to give my money to greedy Steam, and so do many others, as every EGS exclusive lands on the platform with all the momentum of a wet fart.

Matt_Fox

"However, Detroit is still a game written by David Cage, as incapable of subtlety as ever. " PC Gamer

That review seems blissfully oblivious that Become Human is a video game. If you compare it to literary classics or academy award winning screenplays then it comes up short, but in a like-for-like comparison against other video games the writing is absolutely top tier.

In an apples with apples comparison I don't think you can find many other video games that could compare with Become Human's dialogue, emotions, themes, world building, and yes, subtlety.

Armorian

Banned
I'm near the end now i I really like this game so far, it's the ultimate QD title so far - the best in every aspect. Story is interesting, gameplay is the most polished of any "adventure" game I have played and graphics are amazing. Only thing that bothers me is CPU utilization, this game can max out 8 threads of my i7 and fps can drop to ~38 in some spots. This is running on Jaguar on PS4 and I thought Vulcan is suppose to lower the cpu load.

Game doesn't support 21:9 natievly but there is some easy to use "mod" that fixes that:

4bDetroitBecomeHuman20.png

VFXVeteran

Banned
The game is probably the most feature rich 3d features of games to date. It's doing a LOT of things right. Having said that, raising the resolution and incorporating higher res textures makes this game become GPU limited. Even my 2080Ti can't hold 60FPS, so I bumped it down to 30FPS lock. This game is like the polished version of The Order 1886. Materials are incredible.

Last edited:

Armorian

Banned
The game is probably the most feature rich 3d features of games to date. It's doing a LOT of things right. Having said that, raising the resolution and incorporating higher res textures makes this game become GPU limited. Even my 2080Ti can't hold 60FPS, so I bumped it down to 30FPS lock. This game is like the polished version of The Order 1886. Materials are incredible.

Yep, this game is a joy to look at (aside from the port level, it looks rough) but i really dislike the use of DOF, it's almost everwhere and in every scene and can't be turned off of course, it makes the game look blurry when in reality it isn't (as seen in parts of the screen not affected by DOF).

VFXVeteran

Banned
Yep, this game is a joy to look at (aside from the port level, it looks rough) but i really dislike the use of DOF, it's almost everwhere and in every scene and can't be turned off of course, it makes the game look blurry when in reality it isn't (as seen in parts of the screen not affected by DOF).

Yea, that's a hack to not show detail because of the way their renderer works. I suspect that future games will not have this feature.

Top Bottom