• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Detroit: Become Human - Review Thread

NovumAngel

Banned
Metacritic: 80
OpenCritic: 80 'Strong'

Attack of the fanboy: 4.5/5
COGconnected: 84%
Critical Hit: 9/10
Cultura Geek: No score
Culture of Gaming: 9/10
Daily Star: 4/5
Destructoid: 7/10
Digital Chumps: 6.5/10
Easy Allies: 8.5/10
EGM Now: 8.5/10
Entertainment Weekly: B-
Eurogamer.net: No Score
Eurogamer.it: 9/10
Eurogamer.es: Essential
Fandom: 3.5/5
Fragstorm: 100%
Gadgets 360: 6/10
Gameblog: 8/10
Gamekult: 7/10
GameInformer: 8/10
Gamepro: 80%
Gamer.no: 8/10
Gamereactor: 9/10
Gamerzone: 9/10
Gamersyde: No Score
Gamespot: 7/10
Gamesradar: 4.5/5
Gaming Boulevard: 10/10
God is a Geek: 5/10
Hardcore Gamer: 4.5/5
IGN: 8/10
Jeux Actu: 18/20
Joe.ie: No Score
Journal du Geek: 8/10
JV France: 9/10
Kotaku: No score
L'info tout court: 9.6/10
M3: 6/10
Meristation: 8.5/10
Metro: 6/10
Millenium: 85%
New Game Network: 78%
Next Gen Gaming Blog: 7.5/10
Playstation Enthusuast: 9/10
Playstation Lifestyle: 8.5/10
Press Start: 9/10
PSX-Sense: 9.5/10
Push Square: 7/10
PXL BBQ: 9/10
Sirius Gaming: 9.5/10
The Enemy: 3/5
The Sixth Axis: 9/10
Tom's Guide: 6/10
Twinfinite: 4.5/5
USGamer: 3.5/5
Vandal: 9/10
Video Chums: 8.5/10
Videogamer: 4/10
WCCF Tech: 8.5/10
We Got This Covered: 4.5/5

Last edited:
Will very likely buy it, especially as my wife enjoy these sorts of games. Easy Allies had a great review of it that convinced me as well.

Dunki

Some of these are pretty funny.

The game is bad because has too many references to black people in america. I always thought these "journalists" wanted exactly this but I guess since they are not black but robots its wrong to do so.
Well I wil have fun with this ^^

VulcanRaven

Sounds good. I'm sure it will be good if you have enjoyed the previous Quantic Dream games. I will definitely buy this at some point.

Arun1910

Expect this. These games are like marmite, you either love them or hate, totally depends on the person (as does every game, but I find it more with Cage games)

Hostile_18

Banned
I'm in, but not day 1 £52 pounds for 10 hours. I know it can be played multiple times but I'll wait for the sale.

Games have gone up in price this gen and shorter experiences at full price are harder to justify IMO.

Expect this. These games are like marmite, you either love them or hate, totally depends on the person (as does every game, but I find it more with Cage games)

I can stomach marmite, but I can't stomach Cage. :p I'm happy for those who enjoy his stuff though.

Denton

Even somewhat negative EG review, again obsessed with social injustice stuff, notes that it is probably the best Quantic game to date. I disliked Beyond but enjoyed Heavy Rain and Fahrenheit, so I am in.

Dunki

Only in a video game androids quoting famous people and speeches is seen as controversial. How far will this peak go?

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Not bad. I’ll pick it up with the 20% off PSN coupon this weekend.
Shame at the deductions for political issues.

I'm in, but not day 1 £52 pounds for 10 hours. I know it can be played multiple times but I'll wait for the sale.

Games have gone up in price this gen and shorter experiences at full price are harder to justify IMO.

Wait what..you can be serious?! That's the word circulating from the reviews ? Wow, DAT 4yr project.

If that is the case definitely a $20 pick up down the line.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Sounds awesome, been waiting for a worthy successor to Heavy Rain.

Even somewhat negative EG review, again obsessed with social injustice stuff, notes that it is probably the best Quantic game to date. I disliked Beyond but enjoyed Heavy Rain and Fahrenheit, so I am in.

These review scores just help me pinpoint which sites I can avoid. Game journalists continue to drift further and further from their audience. It wont end well for them.

Last edited:

DonF

Wait what..you can be serious?! That's the word circulating from the reviews ? Wow, DAT 4yr project.

If that is the case definitely a $20 pick up down the line.
I keep seeing this "10 hours playthrough" and it might be true, but did you play the demo? If the full game has more complex scenarios, it should offer plenty of true replayability. I got like 2 hours from the demo that its just one apartment. If the game has overarching repercussions, it offers way more than 10 hours of content.

I give you guys, skill up's review. Man this guy is awesome. (Mostly spoiler free)

Last edited:

Quixz

£46 for the disc on Amazon

I keep seeing this "10 hours playthrough" and it might be true, but did you play the demo? If the full game has more complex scenarios, it should offer plenty of true replayability. I got like 2 hours from the demo that its just one apartment. If the game has overarching repercussions, it offers way more than 10 hours of content.

I give you guys, skill up's review. Man this guys is awesome.

You definitely got a point with branching scenarios, this adds a big chunk to the gm..btw, the review got me back on the train..and sweet Jesus these models look life like, stunningly beautiful.

Fbh

Better scores than I expected.
But it's still a David Cage so I think I'll pick it up on some sale later on

Not bad. I’ll pick it up with the 20% off PSN coupon this weekend.
Shame at the deductions for political issues.
What 20% coupon ?

Rayderism

I took Friday off to have a 4-day weekend. I know what I'll be doing tonight when this game unlocks. You know, this gen has done more than all previous gens in getting me to play through a game more than once with these choose-your-own-adventure/multiple outcome sort of gameplay. I predict I'll replay this an absolute minimum of 3 times before I get sick of it. And it's very likely I'll re-do favorite chapters even more often. And I know I'll come back to it every few weeks to give it another go until I've explored all of the elements in the flowcharts.

One of the methods I use with games I'm interested in is to read all of the lowest scored reviews first. I feel they best convey what to expect from a game. So I read the lowest rated reviews here and nothing in them really detracts from my anticipated enjoyment of this game.

Detroit: Become Human coupled with some Everspace, and maybe a few rounds in Horizon Chase Turbo, and I think I'm going to have a surprisingly fun and non-productive long weekend.

It's going to be a long day at work today. Wish I had that remote from the movie "Click" to fast-forward to quitting time. Relegating myself to being a weekends only gamer has been a tough conversion. Luckily, my job is a brainless repetitive-action factory job, so I just daydream about games all week.

Hostile_18

Banned
You definitely got a point with branching scenarios, this adds a big chunk to the gm..btw, the review got me back on the train..and sweet Jesus these models look life like, stunningly beautiful.

I don't know I mean alot of people enjoy playing "their way" and not experience alternate paths as there's an argument to be made it can weaken the storytelling. Just like not everyone wants to watch deleted or alternative scenes on a DVD. They just enjoy the empowerment of choice in a single play through.

Ariesfirebomb

Neo Member
Pretty much in line with what I expected. Loved Farenheight (until that last arc), Heavy Rain was decent too despite its issues. Never bothered with Beyond, but I'm def picking this up

xviper

Heavy Rain: 78
Beyond Two Souls: 72
Fahrenheit: 83

Honestly shocked that Fahrenheit is the highest scoring of those.
Heavy Rain scored 87, what you listed was the ps4 version, heavy rain is one of my favorite games of last gen, lets hope Detroit is at least as good as Beyond

the demo wasn't something impressive and was bad, if the whole game is about collecting stuff to unlock dialogue options then it's gonna suck

Last edited:

theHFIC

Scoring a lot better than I thought it would. I just started Beyond: Two Souls from PS Plus this month, so I'll probably check this one out after a couple of sales.

RPGCrazied

How long is it? I have some store credit I could go ahead and get it tomorrow. I need something to play this weekend.

Wow. I’m amazed at these scores. I thought for sure this was going to get panned. Partly because of the game itself and partly because of people’s dislike of Cage and the sexist/racist claims against him, especially considering this game may explore some racial isssues.

But it’s definitely on my radar now. I dug heavy rain but wasn’t as hot on beyond.

NovumAngel

Banned
Heavy Rain scored 87, what you listed was the ps4 version, heavy rain is one of my favorite games of last gen, lets hope Detroit is at least as good as Beyond

the demo wasn't something impressive and was bad, if the whole game is about collecting stuff to unlock dialogue options then it's gonna suck
Hadn't noticed that, in that case Beyond also would get dropped down to a 70.

How long is it? I have some store credit I could go ahead and get it tomorrow. I need something to play this weekend.
David Cage has been saying 8 - 10 hours with lots of replayability, using a longer figure (25/30 hours) as the time needed to 100% the game:
https://www.psu.com/news/detroit-become-human-game-length-revealed/
http://www.egmnow.com/articles/news...-ps4-will-take-at-least-25-hours-to-platinum/

Some people elsewhere on the internet have been saying their first playthrough was between 10 and 12 hours.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Really looking forward to this - just found out my copy will arrive on June 6th. Sometimes I hate living in the middle of nowhere.

Might be time to actually start buying games digitally on the PS4.

Vawn

Banned
I've noticed 90% of games I am ready to end before they actually do. I often wonder why developers put so much bloat to drag out their games just for the sake of dragging them out.

Then I see responses like the ones in this thread and am reminded why.

Hostile_18

Banned
I've noticed 90% of games I am ready to end before they actually do. I often wonder why developers put so much bloat to drag out their games just for the sake of dragging them out.

Then I see responses like the ones in this thread and am reminded why.

I don't think anyone is saying the length is bad rather the price tag, dosnt reflect the length.

Just the same as the price for Dark Souls remaster dosnt really justify the work carried out on it.

In both cases this can be compared to other market contenders. Which offer a much better value proposition.

Vawn

Banned
I don't think anyone is saying the length is bad rather the price tag, dosnt reflect the length.

Just the same as the price for Dark Souls remaster dosnt really justify the work carried out on it.

In both cases this can be compared to other market contenders. Which offer a much better value proposition.

What's the difference? If they can't charge full price, they're much better off using the assets they have to add fluff to the game then to drop the price by a third or more.

Last edited:

NovumAngel

Banned

Length =/= enjoyment

I'd rather have a good 10 hour game than an 30/40 slog.

Top Bottom