• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Detroit: Become Human Sold Over 6 million Copies Across PS4 & PC

Makes you wonder why they jumped ship from Sony and all their free promotion and advertising.
NetEase(china based) owns a percentage of them now. They can self publish now. Heavy Rain, Beyond, Detriot are all Sony IP.

Sony prolly didnt see them as a system seller, like supermassive. They expect their exclusive games to sell 12 million now. 3-6 million isnt worth it for them.

AmuroChan

Makes you wonder why they jumped ship from Sony and all their free promotion and advertising.

I don't think it was their choice. They had a 3 game deal with Sony and Sony never made any effort to retain them after Detroit came out. That was also during the time when QD was dealing with sexual harassment cases. I don't think Sony wanted any part of that.

Last edited:

yurinka

Great news! I think it's time to reveal their next game. I'd like them to partner with Sony again soon, they said they wanted to publish on more platforms, but that they had their door open for future collaborations with Sony.

They had a 3 game deal with Sony and Sony never made any effort to retain them after Detroit came out.
Is there any (and if possible remotely reliable) source for this? Can you share a link, please? I think they said they wanted to selfpublish their own stuff and reach new platforms to open their audience but that this didn't mean they would stop to maybe continue working with Sony in the future.

They must have a good relationship with Sony, because Sony allowed them to port and publish their Sony games on PC since back then Sony wasn't interested on PC.

Last edited:

AmuroChan

Great news! I think it's time to reveal their next game. I'd like them to partner with Sony again soon, they said they wanted to publish on more platforms, but that they had their door open for future collaborations with Sony.

Is there any (and if possible remotely reliable) source for this? Can you share a link, please? I think they said they wanted to selfpublish their own stuff and reach new platforms to open their audience but that this didn't mean they would stop to maybe continue working with Sony in the future.

They must have a good relationship with Sony, because Sony allowed them to port and publish their Sony games on PC since back then Sony wasn't interested on PC.

1. If Sony did want to continue to work with QD, they would say that. After Detroit, Sony's been radio silent about any continuous relationship with QD.
2. QD isn't going to throw Sony under the bus. So what else could they possibly say? Of course they're going to say the next most logical thing, which is that they want to self-publish and reach other platforms.
3. Nothing in business happens out of altruism. If QD was able to port their own games to PC, it must be because it was negotiated. Similarly, Sony didn't "allow" 505 Games to publish Death Stranding on PC out of the kindness of their heart. There was obviously a contract in place with that arrangement.

Source regarding the sexual harassment investigation at QD:

Last edited:
Fantastic game. I guess I’m not included in that 6M because I played it through PS Now but man oh man, didn’t expect such drama. Easily their best game yet even though Heavy Rain has historic significance. I’m just proud I led a revolution and fucking won! Marcus will be one of my favorite characters from last gen.

Last edited:

Agent X

This is a great game. Congratulations to Quantic Dream on their sales success. I look forward to seeing what they're working on next.

yurinka

1. If Sony did want to continue to work with QD, they would say that. After Detroit, Sony's been radio silent about any continuous relationship with QD.
2. QD isn't going to throw Sony under the bus. So what else could they possibly say? Of course they're going to say the next most logical thing, which is that they want to self-publish and reach other platforms.
3. Nothing in business happens out of altruism. If QD was able to port their own games to PC, it must be because it was negotiated. Similarly, Sony didn't "allow" 505 Games to publish Death Stranding on PC out of the kindness of their heart. There was obviously a contract in place with that arrangement.

Source regarding the sexual harassment investigation at QD:
Sony didn't say anything to QD because until now they didn't have any game to announce with them. QD has been busy porting their games to PC, selling part of the company, publishing stuff made by other studios, defending themselves of the angry former coworker accusations and pretty likely working on at least one AAA that they should announce somewhere in the near future and that if it's self published pretty likely will be multiplatform.

When QD left to self publish stuff they said they had their door open for Sony and Sony wished them best of lucks and allowed them to port their games. Since then Sony didn't say anything else because they didn't have anything to say.

Obviously when Sony allows other people to use their IPs somewhere else (porting games to other platforms, making movies or tv series, etc) they will ask them to get paid for it, at least a revenue share of the revenue generated by these ports, movies, etc.

Quantic Dream, Kojipro or ThatGameCompany may have asked to port them to get extra revenue that would help them for their future projects without (or with) Sony, and I assume Sony allowed them to do so as a thank you for the good work they did for them, but also to get extra revenue and maybe to test the waters for their back them potential future PC old ports adventure.

Regarding the harassment investigation, this is what courts said (basically that the accusations were bullshit and that QD is innocent):
https://blog.quanticdream.com/medias/Quantic-Dream-Official-Statement-April-2021.pdf

As mentioned, Sony didn't mention anything about them because they didn't have anything to say. If they have some agreement for a future game, they will mention it once the game gets announced.

Regarding the accusations, a company like Sony wouldn't stop a business of hundreds of dollars just because there are some unproven random accusations on Twitter, the yellow gaming press or something like that. Sony would continued with the deal and have expected (or maybe suggested) QD to investigate themselves the stuff and to take the needed disciplinary actions if needed, which is what any company woud do when this claims appear (internally or via Twitter/the yellow gaming press).

Agent X

When QD left to self publish stuff they said they had their door open for Sony and Sony wished them best of lucks and allowed them to port their games. Since then Sony didn't say anything else because they didn't have anything to say

I agree. I was also under the impression that Sony and Quantic Dream had a good relationship.

Obviously, their contracted deal has been completed, and Quantic Dream can pursue other opportunities on their own. I don't think Sony needs to "retain" Quantic Dream. I do feel that their previous collaborations were good, and for that reason I would like to see them work together again in the future.

yurinka

I agree. I was also under the impression that Sony and Quantic Dream had a good relationship.

Obviously, their contracted deal has been completed, and Quantic Dream can pursue other opportunities on their own. I don't think Sony needs to "retain" Quantic Dream. I do feel that their previous collaborations were good, and for that reason I would like to see them work together again in the future.
I think most 2nd party Sony deals are for a single game, and that this 3 games deal was only made with ThatGameCompany, tried to repeat it with Giant Sparrow but decided to terminate it before they published the last game.

But independently if their deal is for a game or for three, in the future they can make a deal again. Specially with people like Quantic Dreams that deliver games that achieve good reviews and sales.

In this case, maybe they had a temporary break because each other were going to be busy for a while with other stuff and they plan to work together in the future. Even if the next Quantic Dream games get self funded and self published and are multi new IP owned by QD, they can agree a marketing deal or also a temporal console exclusive with Sony.

As of today, this would make more sense than Sony publishing a Quantic Dream game for both sides. QD would still get a huge marketing support and extra funding from Sony plus QD would keep the IP and a higher revenue share for themselves. Sony would get a timed console exclusive or marketing/game sub exclusivity but for a way cheaper price than it would mean to fully fund and publish the game themselves.

AmuroChan

Sony didn't say anything to QD because until now they didn't have any game to announce with them. QD has been busy porting their games to PC, selling part of the company, publishing stuff made by other studios, defending themselves of the angry former coworker accusations and pretty likely working on at least one AAA that they should announce somewhere in the near future and that if it's self published pretty likely will be multiplatform.

When QD left to self publish stuff they said they had their door open for Sony and Sony wished them best of lucks and allowed them to port their games. Since then Sony didn't say anything else because they didn't have anything to say.

Obviously when Sony allows other people to use their IPs somewhere else (porting games to other platforms, making movies or tv series, etc) they will ask them to get paid for it, at least a revenue share of the revenue generated by these ports, movies, etc.

Quantic Dream, Kojipro or ThatGameCompany may have asked to port them to get extra revenue that would help them for their future projects without (or with) Sony, and I assume Sony allowed them to do so as a thank you for the good work they did for them, but also to get extra revenue and maybe to test the waters for their back them potential future PC old ports adventure.

Regarding the harassment investigation, this is what courts said (basically that the accusations were bullshit and that QD is innocent):
https://blog.quanticdream.com/medias/Quantic-Dream-Official-Statement-April-2021.pdf

As mentioned, Sony didn't mention anything about them because they didn't have anything to say. If they have some agreement for a future game, they will mention it once the game gets announced.

Regarding the accusations, a company like Sony wouldn't stop a business of hundreds of dollars just because there are some unproven random accusations on Twitter, the yellow gaming press or something like that. Sony would continued with the deal and have expected (or maybe suggested) QD to investigate themselves the stuff and to take the needed disciplinary actions if needed, which is what any company woud do when this claims appear (internally or via Twitter/the yellow gaming press).

- The 3-game deal was completed. You don't continue a deal that's been completed. You have to negotiate a new deal. Sony would've had to initiate that conversation as they are the publisher. They didn't as far as we know since no gaming outlets reported that any negotiations have taken place.
- At the time that QD and Sony parted ways, no one knew the harassment claims were BS. That didn't come to light until this year.
- Just because they aren't working together anymore, doesn't mean they ended on bad terms.

Two things can be true at once:
1. Sony and QD have a good relationship.
2. Sony decided to go in a different direction and not negotiate a new deal with QD. The two mutually part ways.

Also, any chance of Sony and QD working on another PS exclusive in the near future is slim to none now that NetEase owns a stake in the company.

Last edited:

yurinka

- The 3-game deal was completed. You don't continue a deal that's been completed. You have to negotiate a new deal.
2nd party or publishing deals traditionally are for a single game, but I know they did a 3 games deal with ThatGameCompany and not sure now but I'd bet they had it with Giant Sparrow. But never heard about it for Quantic Dream, I'd bet they would have multiple single game deals.

Do you have any oficial source mentioning that a 3 game deal existed between Sony and QD or it's just your personal guess?

Also, any chance of Sony and QD working on another PS exclusive in the near future is slim to none now that NetEase owns a stake in the company.
Wrong.

NetEase did also invest on Bungie an they still partnered with Sony even if Netease helps them to enter Destiny 2 on China. NetEase also partnered with Blizzard helping them to bring their games to China and games like Diablo IV and Diablo II Resurrected are coming to PS.

Netease seems to partner with western studios and sometimes to invest on them to be their publishers on China and outside that they don't seem to affect these studios, and even less to block their consoles plans.

In fact, last year NetEase did open a studio to make PS and Xbox games.

First, Netease doesn't seem to have any problem with their partners or even themselves making console games. Second, regarding western studios they only seem to be interested on publishing their games on China. And third, Netease has a minority stake on QD so can't control their actions.

P.S.: In fact, in this interview QD and Netease confirm that QD's next game will be multiplatform and that will continue working on PlayStation in addition to in other platforms.

They expect their exclusive games to sell 12 million now. 3-6 million isnt worth it for them.
Not true. Hermen said they will continue making games of all types, including small games or experimental games.

Last edited:
Not true. Hermen said they will continue making games of all types, including small games or experimental games.
Im talking about Sony buying a company. Supermassive & Quantic Dream arent expandable market wise. For sony to feel pressured into buying them.

yurinka

Im talking about Sony buying a company. Supermassive & Quantic Dream arent expandable market wise. For sony to feel pressured into buying them.
Well, in this case I'd say Housemarque and Nixxes are smaller.

QD is growing their manpower and is expanding beyond PS to PC, mobile with crossplatform games and to China with the help of their partner Neatease, that's what they do when partnering with western studios.

Sony is also interested to expand to PC, mobile and China. Sony partnered with QD for 12 years. Netease only bought a minority stake of QD, so Sony could buy QD. QD games are good fit for PS Now since its gameplay is slow paced, even for PSVR. They have good media reviews, good user reviews and good sales in a growing trend.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
From what I understand, and I believe Colin Moriarty said something about this, was that Quantic Dream and Sony had a falling out towards the end there. I guess Sony's PR team couldn't stand David Cage. I remember Colin saying they were basically like, "Fuck that guy". Multiple people on ResetEra claimed that their relationship soured even before the allegations of a toxic workplace started making the rounds and at that point Sony decided that was the best time to call it quits. For the longest time there were rumors of Sony buying Quantic Dream and David Cage was on record saying he wouldn't mind being bought out. Obviously that never happened and that's probably why.

Good to hear. A truly amazing game and experience. very rare in a game I actually care for the characters more so if they are robots

Duchess

I'm just one trophy away from the platinum. Unfortunately, that trophy requires me to basically replay the entire game. I'll get around to it sometime, I'm sure :)

mekes

Have to be honest, I regret my last 3 purchases of their games. Detroit, Beyond and Heavy Rain. I did enjoy the PS2 game and Nomad Soul on DC.

yurinka

From what I understand, and I believe Colin Moriarty said something about this, was that Quantic Dream and Sony had a falling out towards the end there. I guess Sony's PR team couldn't stand David Cage. I remember Colin saying they were basically like, "Fuck that guy". Multiple people on ResetEra claimed that their relationship soured even before the allegations of a toxic workplace started making the rounds and at that point Sony decided that was the best time to call it quits. For the longest time there were rumors of Sony buying Quantic Dream and David Cage was on record saying he wouldn't mind being bought out. Obviously that never happened and that's probably why.
All that sounds like pure bullshit. If PR wouldn't stand him wouldn't put him on interviews, they would reject these interviews or would put there someone else.

Seems QD has more female than male leads, higher % of female workers than the average in the industry, and a big % of people who have been working there during a lot of years, and many workers supported the company when accussations appeared. So I assume knew the accusations were bullshit before courts and audits supported QD version.

Regarding acquisition, many people said it that it would made sense, but as I remember never was a proper leak or rumor mentioning they were negotiating or that Sony was interested on buying them. A CEO mentioning he wouldn't mind being acquired is just a personal opinion, acquisitions of hundreds of millions involve a ton of things more than that in both sides.

AmuroChan

2nd party or publishing deals traditionally are for a single game, but I know they did a 3 games deal with ThatGameCompany and not sure now but I'd bet they had it with Giant Sparrow. But never heard about it for Quantic Dream, I'd bet they would have multiple single game deals.

Do you have any oficial source mentioning that a 3 game deal existed between Sony and QD or it's just your personal guess?

Wrong.

NetEase did also invest on Bungie an they still partnered with Sony even if Netease helps them to enter Destiny 2 on China. NetEase also partnered with Blizzard helping them to bring their games to China and games like Diablo IV and Diablo II Resurrected are coming to PS.

Netease seems to partner with western studios and sometimes to invest on them to be their publishers on China and outside that they don't seem to affect these studios, and even less to block their consoles plans.

In fact, last year NetEase did open a studio to make PS and Xbox games.

First, Netease doesn't seem to have any problem with their partners or even themselves making console games. Second, regarding western studios they only seem to be interested on publishing their games on China. And third, Netease has a minority stake on QD so can't control their actions.

P.S.: In fact, in this interview QD and Netease confirm that QD's next game will be multiplatform and that will continue working on PlayStation in addition to in other platforms.

I'm not sure what you're arguing. I'm not saying QD's future games won't be on PS. I'm saying chances are slim that it will be a PLAYSTAION-EXCLUSIVE. Future QD games will be on multiple platforms. That's what they've already come out and said.

As for the 3-game deal, it has been mentioned by both KindaFunny and Sacred Symbols in the past. Feel free to write in to those shows and question who their sources are. Either way, it doesn't change the point. Even if it was a one game at a time deal, the fact is that a deal for a 4th game never came to fruition. If the relationship between the two was so wonderful and financially successful, why part ways? Look at studios that have had a good working relationship with Sony in the past - Insomniac, Housemarque, Bluepoint. Two of those have been acquired by Sony. The other is heavily rumored to have been bought already. When Sony finds a good working partner, they either continue to work with them or eventually acquire them.

Last edited:

yurinka

I'm not sure what you're arguing. I'm not saying QD's future games won't be on PS. I'm saying chances are slim that it will be a PLAYSTAION-EXCLUSIVE. Future QD games will be on multiple platforms. That's what they've already come out and said.
Yep, seems they want to focus on multiplatform, or at least to expand from PS to PS+PC+mobile, but I assume Xbox too (maybe after a timed exclusivity but who knows). I think at least their next big game would go in that way, and self published.

As for the 3-game deal, it has been mentioned by both KindaFunny and Sacred Symbols in the past. Feel free to write in to those shows and question who their sources are. Either way, it doesn't change the point. Even if it was a one game at a time deal, the fact is that a deal for a 4th game never came to fruition. If the relationship between the two was so wonderful and financially successful, why part ways? Look at studios that have had a good working relationship with Sony in the past - Insomniac, Housemarque, Bluepoint. Two of those have been acquired by Sony. The other is heavily rumored to have been bought already. When Sony finds a good working partner, they either continue to work with them or eventually acquire them.
Some of them end acquired, some other ones don't. See Supermassive, Ready At Dawn, Quantic Dream, From Software and so on. I think that the decision of buying them or not depends on many things. First, if Sony is in a period where they decide that it's time to acquire. Seems that now they have a lot of money and decided it's time to acquire some studios.

Then there's the studio, if wants to keep indepentent or not. Of if they decide that need to self publish and to go multi to grow and expand their market. Then there's how aligned are the goals of both companies. Maybe back then Sony didn't give a shit about PC, mobile and China, so weren't a good fit with QD's new goals. Now instead Sony is interested on that, so maybe it's more likely to have a deal.

Sony released many 2nd party games in the last year or two, and we know they also signed at least 3 big AAA ones with these new studios after their success with Death Stranding to repeat it but with the creators of AC/CoD BO/Destiny instead of the MGS ones. So maybe since QD wanted to do their multi stuff and were going to be busy with that for a while, Sony decided to spend their 2nd party budget elsewhere.

But who knows, we'll see. I think QD will announce their next (self published, self developed, in theory multiplatform) game in less than a year. I think it may not be 2nd party but may have a deal with Sony, maybe a 3rd party timed console exclusive or a marketing deal.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Detroit is genuinely good for what it is, some bits work better than others but overall its easily the best thing Cage/QD have ever done.

Keihart

That's a lot. pretty cool.
I like the format, i hope David Cage stops writing the games tho, easily the worst part of all his games.
The format could accommodate some good writing easier than more traditional games.

Top Bottom