• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution now has ads on load screens. Billboard ads incoming also.

AEREC

Lesath said:
Are the people who don't care finished with the game? Because I'm still in the middle of it, and don't like to be reminded every time I enter or exit a large building to buy some shitty ass Star Wars Blu-Rays with an eyesore on the loading screen. I'm playing Deus Ex. All I want to do is think about is how the story is still not making sense, and how I wish I didn't start off with a pacifist playthrough.

EDIT: Yes, I am now using the workaround now.

I finished the game 2 weeks ago, though I immediately started a 2nd play through that I play once every few nights, but I really dont feel like playing it with ads...kinda takes the heart and soul out of the game.

Dambrosi

Banned
MomoPufflet said:
Just got home. Has anyone made the "that's capitalism" and "they need to make money too" arguments yet? I don't want to miss anything.
Undoubtedly.

Even though it's NOT capitalism, it's pure exploitation and disrespect for paying customers.

You can make my game look like a Nascar vehicle as long as it's free. If I'm paying, don't intrude on my time. I already gave you my money.

badcrumble said:
Intrusive advertisements all over the place is cyperpunk as hell. Very meta, Squeenix. Very meta indeed.

Holy shit, you're right. If anything the loading screen should just be a collage of ads.

Kuran

Banned
What the hell? So am I getting some of my money back or what? This is ridiculous. Glad I'm done with this pos.

This could set an interesting precedent. I know product placement is already in some games but how soon before we see an ad on your pause screen? Like how online videos have unskippable ads, will games get them too?

And why wait until now? Did they wait until the initial rush of buyers had subsided and they were all playing the game (probably)? And why pick a game that's been reviewed well and selling well? The more popular the game the bigger the backlash (but also the bigger audience).

What does Steam have to say about all this? Is it out of their hands?

Or is it because DX is a single-player game with no multiplayer component? With no added revenue from online multiplayer and the game being also easier to pirate, will we see ads in multiplayer games? An ad when you search/connect to servers?

I think it's bad form. I can understand jumping through hoops and enduring ads for an F2P game, but people have already paid money for this.

SalsaShark said:
I really dont get the "i dont care" comments tbh, how do you not care? this is how it start, next up ads fucking everywhere, including (like in this case) paid content. Its ridiculous, i dont wanna be bombarded with Lucas shitty blurays releases, the fuck is this.

Its not about size, its about how fucking tiring it is. Im already sick of seeing so many ads EVERYWHERE irl and internet, now on my games as well? :/ I think id even take product placement over this.

i don`t care...

:p

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Giolon said:
All they'd have to do is patch them into the game after it's already been reviewed. Problem "solved". That's exactly what they did here. Those same reviewers you mentioned probably would have mentioned out of place ads showing up on loading screens.

And I do think that you'd have to be naive to think that pernicious marketing influences won't have any effect in this area as time goes on. Once they've had a taste from the well, they want more and more. However, saying that I think you're naive may have been too strong. I'll say "I think you have an overly optimistic view of capitalism/humanity" instead.

SMH.... IGA has been around since 1978.. I started gaming in 82..so yeah I think I have a pretty good grasp of how its working. Calling someone naive or trying to be cute with your wording just because they don't think the end of gaming is coming from a practice that has been around almost as long as gaming itself..

Replicant

Give us FREE DLC* to make up for it then you can flash all the ads you want SE! /yeahimacheapwhore

*Note: Free DCL must be 5 hours or longer for this offer to be acceptable.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
My loading screens have no ads and I did nothing. I updated earlier today and it appeared fine and I just checked again now and I still have no ads.

10 loads and still nothing.

Cyrillus

I know I made a bit of a tongue-in-cheek comment about it before, but thinking on it, it brings up a good point. If ads on loading screens is seen as successful or at least lucrative to developers, or more importantly publishers, will we see a push to stop minimizing loading screens? Or build game worlds in such a way as to make them compartmentalized with a lot of short loading screens, a la Deus Ex? (minus the "short" part, of course)

thebeeks

Banned
It's funny, I preordered From Dust and Deus Ex on the same day. Guess I've learned my lesson. Thanks for making me think twice about giving you money next time, game devs!

hamchan

I can definitely see developers making loading screens a set amount of time to maximize ad exposure. Mass Effect elevators all over again.

commissar

hamchan said:
I can definitely see developers making loading screens a set amount of time to maximize ad exposure. Mass Effect elevators all over again.
Well HR's loading was originally based around framerate for some reason

/tinhat

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
So, how many of the people complaining about this are paying for Xbox Live Gold too? Just curious...

lol

I don't care about this. It's during load screens, my loading is like 3 seconds and ads have been in games forever and will always be in games forever.

Kintaro said:
So, how many of the people complaining about this are paying for Xbox Live Gold too? Just curious...

lol

I don't care about this. It's during load screens, my loading is like 3 seconds and ads have been in games forever and will always be in games forever.
For what its worth I quit Xbox Live Gold too, as soon as they raised the price for no discernible reason. I DO have a line in the sand.

PC has been a vastly better experience overall, but I partially made the move to avoid being held ransom in a walled garden where Microsoft or anyone else could push whatever they wanted and feel secure because of the amount of time, money and games expenditures already invested in their platform.

Now I run into THIS, which I haven't seen pulled since PSN's Wipeout HD fiasco, and which was removed shortly afterwards. At least I can modify a Host file to circumvent it, so at least there's that, for now. Putting in ads is problematic enough, but if I knew about it beforehand I could have chosen to support it in this instance or not, but to patch it in weeks after release is frankly insulting.

Now I'm not stingy with my money, but I don't like being nickled and dimed or treated as a captive audience, or as a dupe. If games continue to go this route than I have other hobbies that I can turn my attentions to. It'd be someone else's loss, not mine.

Yusaku

^^^ Confirmed on PS3 for me. Oddly enough there was no title update for it. It was just boom-Star Wars.

Dark Octave said:
You can make my game look like a Nascar vehicle as long as it's free. If I'm paying, don't intrude on my time. I already gave you my money.

Yeah, I pay for cable and don't have to see any ads there.

Oh wai...

Kintaro said:

lol

Never bought XBL, don't see the need for it.
Yusaku said:
Yeah, I pay for cable and don't have to see any ads there.

Oh wai...
You also pay for video games, and 99% of them don't have ads in them.

This is fucking bullshit. Remind me not to download the patch, ever, and also write a nasty email.

Edit: I can get them even without a patch? WTF, Square Enix?

So they... placed ads into a product they already sold to you? This must be associated with a patch? I refuse to believe they could use DRM to sneak ads into your game... That would be... impressively evil.

Jaeyden

I can't fault a business for trying to recoup development costs or make extra revenue. I can however say that I think it's tacky and from a design perspective just plain shallow to advertise during a load screen. If you're going to put ads in a game, the least you could do is try to be a little bit more creative and hide them from me. For crying out loud, you were creative enough to make the game, get creative and find a spot for them that isn't so blatantly obvious, somewhere that makes sense and doesn't ruin the immersion, rather, complements it. Movies, TV and games do this all the time, but they place it where it makes sense and seamless so you're getting advertised to and usually don't even notice it.

itxaka

Defeatist
They should have released a small free DLC with this. Let's say, a new aug and included was the ad display. That way it was optional, the customers got something in return and everybody was happy with it.

itxaka said:
They should have released a small free DLC with this. Let's say, a new aug and included was the ad display. That way it was optional, the customers got something in return and everybody was happy with it.

The Loading Screen solution is much better than that, less obtrusive.

So if I buy a Blu-Ray tv boxset, it would be fine for the producers, over BD Live, to later insert ads between episodes/ on top of the menu screens to make themselves some more money from my purchase? Why is it just gamers who have to put up with this shit?

itxaka

Defeatist
BIONIC-ARRRMMM!! said:
The Loading Screen solution is much better than that, less obtrusive.

Yeah, but that way it was optional and you got something in exchange, and I think nobody would complain if so. Me, Im not bothered by it, still it's kind of a shitty thing to do to put ads there with no heads up or anything.

Squishy

Is this why I can't download from the PS store (PS3 version) while I'm playing the game? When playing any game without multiplayer/online features, downloads in the queue on the XMB download, and only stop downloading (aka pending) if I play multiplayer or something. Nothing ever downloads when playing Human Revolution, so I assumed there must be some kind of online functionality running in the background, but not this!!!

FOR SHAME.

Enco

Advertising in products you paid for defense force ACTIVATE!

Ridiculous. I don't expect ads when I spend my money on something. I understand if the game is free but this is bullshit.

Is this fake? I just loaded up my PC version, latest patch (updated this morning) and there are no adds on any load screen I've encountered in my quick testplay.

Dennis

Banned
ThoseDeafMutes said:
Is this fake? I just loaded up my PC version, latest patch (updated this morning) and there are no adds on any load screen I've encountered in my quick testplay.
From your Steam data they can see that you are poor, so advertisers simply ignore you.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Door2Dawn said:
I hate this invasion of ads in the media these days. It's in youtube, and now it's in the video games.
Well the YouTube internet thing is kind of a dilemma: either you get ads or you have to pay for content.

IoCaster

Gold Member
Kinda shitty to stealth inject these ads post-release like this. Fortunately, they're relatively easy to disable on the PC version of the game.

taoofjord

IoCaster said:
Kinda shitty to stealth inject these ads post-release like this. Fortunately, they're relatively easy to disable on the PC version of the game.

Without at least expressing your displeasure with the publisher and developer there's a chance that next time it won't be quite as easy to disable.

Top Bottom