• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

acidspunk said:
I'm curious... Is it possible to kill key characters like sarif or pritchard and continue the game? Already finished the story but haven't tried it.

Certain story sensitive characters are invincible. It was the same in the first game as well. You can unload dozens of rounds into them, and they'll go crazy and either fight back or run away, but you can never kill them. Usually you just end up dying, because everybody else in the area with a gun immediately starts firing at your head.

With that being said, I'm pretty sure you can knock out Sarif and Taggart in the last level. I'm not sure whether you can kill them or not...anybody know?

BeeDog

SenseiJinx said:
Certain story sensitive characters are invincible. It was the same in the first game as well. You can unload dozens of rounds into them, and they'll go crazy and either fight back or run away, but you can never kill them. Usually you just end up dying, because everybody else in the area with a gun immediately starts firing at your head.

With that being said, I'm pretty sure you can knock out Sarif and Taggart in the last level. I'm not sure whether you can kill them or not...anybody know?

Regarding your spoiler,
yes you can.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
derFeef said:
Welp.. I am stuck on the second boss, I just can't do it on Deus Ex difficulty. 30 attempts or more - out of ideas.

Do you have the aug that protects against electric shock? This + having an upgraded revolver that shoots exploding rounds brought a quick end to this one. I had a hell of a time with the 3rd boss though.

derFeef

Applesauce said:
Do you have the aug that protects against electric shock? This + having an upgraded revolver that shoots exploding rounds brought a quick end to this one. I had a hell of a time with the 3rd boss though.
Nope, I tried many things from bunny-hopping because of the electro stuff to mines and constant healing (I have loads of pills, I never need them). But in the end she kills me with one explosion. Dunno what to do to be honest.. I might just give up because I tried for one hour now.

beztytuucd1n.png

Whoa. Of course Dark Souls OT demolishes this one...

gwarm01

I'm kind of late to this game, and I'm certainly taking my sweet time playing it. It's turning into one of those rare experiences that really resonates with me. Aside from Portal 2, I can't really think of any other game in recent memory that has drawn me so far into it's world. It's just exciting having a game that I enjoy so much that all I can do at work and school is think about playing it.

With that out of the way, does anyone know about that band that did music in the "My World" commercial? That song is one of the reasons I bought this game, but I can't find anything else by them. If they were just created to market this game then bravo.

SHAZOOM

rukland said:
I don't know myself but now I want to go try and see what happens.

I know for sure that
Tong
is invincible. Every one in
Panchae is killable
once you've had a talk with them.

The Chef

Been playing the CRAP out of this game. To me, this is the best stealth-action game I've ever played. When I play this I realize how flawed MGS stealth is in comparison. For example, in MGS if your sneaking up on someone, and he suddenly turns around and sees you...well then its full alert. EVERYONE is on alert at that point.

Deus Ex does it how its supposed to be done. If I do the same thing and am suprised by the sentry suddenly turning around, well then I simply jump out of crouch and run straight at him and lay my fist in his face. Done and done. No alarm. No one freaking out. No need to re-load.

Its PERFECT!

Last night I completed a very thorough stealth-centric play-through (my first), where I explored a ton, hacked a ton, read every e-mail, pocket secretary, hid in the shadows, rolled from desk to desk, etc.

I'm tempted to play through it again to do a couple things I didn't the first time and make some different choices. That said, I don't feel the need to do all the exploring again. I'm thinking about just going guns blazing, checkpoint to checkpoint.

Did anyone play it this way? If so, approx. how long did it take to complete?

Philia

derFeef said:
Nope, I tried many things from bunny-hopping because of the electro stuff to mines and constant healing (I have loads of pills, I never need them). But in the end she kills me with one explosion. Dunno what to do to be honest.. I might just give up because I tried for one hour now.

You should try the stun gun. :) She just staggers and stood there long enough per reload. LOL. Make sure you have at least 15 or 20 stun ammo.

Wonko_C

The Chef said:
Been playing the CRAP out of this game. To me, this is the best stealth-action game I've ever played. When I play this I realize how flawed MGS stealth is in comparison. For example, in MGS if your sneaking up on someone, and he suddenly turns around and sees you...well then its full alert. EVERYONE is on alert at that point.

Deus Ex does it how its supposed to be done. If I do the same thing and am suprised by the sentry suddenly turning around, well then I simply jump out of crouch and run straight at him and lay my fist in his face. Done and done. No alarm. No one freaking out. No need to re-load.

Its PERFECT!

That's not entirely accurate. In MGS2 onwards, when one enemy spotted you, you had time to take him out before he called for backup on the radio, command still sent backup to investigate the area, though.

Karish

The Chef said:

Its PERFECT!

Never really gave MGS a shot but I do love this about Deus Ex.

Wonko_C said:
That's not entirely accurate. In MGS2 onwards, when one enemy spotted you, you had time to take him out before he called for backup on the radio, command still sent backup to investigate the area, though.
This actually makes sense too, whereas in Deus Ex when you remove a patrolling enemy, none of his squad mates gives a shit that he's missing if you hide the corpse without them seeing. The stealth is good enough for my liking, it's almost too easy though due to the scenario I just described.

Mooreberg

I hope this impending title update takes care of my Montreal helipad problem. Everything up to that point made this my GOTY at least until November 1st.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
GhaleonEB said:
This is the reason I'll never get the Pacifist achievement. I get to that part, and just start killing guys left and right.

I didn't think you could
save Malik
at first, so I didn't try, and then then I noticed how long it took for the explosion to go off. A couple reloads later, I pulled it off. Very rewarding.
I don't think I could handle finding her body at the Harvester hideout, that's a wonderful, brutal touch. Especially since she mentions earlier in the story that she has some augs.
Londa said:
whaha
I saved Malik
like a boss.

Wow I had no idea
her body shows up again if she dies...
mind blown
I made sure to go back and see this..

The
fucking harvesters opened up her forehead to get her augs. Pretty disturbing shit.

Aguirre

just beat the game. wtf were the devs thinking with the cut-and-paste boss battles? it felt totally divorced from the game and totally contradicted the stealth elements of the game. absolutely tasteless.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Aguirre said:
just beat the game. wtf were the devs thinking with the cut-and-paste boss battles? it felt totally divorced from the game and totally contradicted the stealth elements of the game. absolutely tasteless.

Not if sure serious but I guess you know that boss battles were outsorced.

I beat it. I loved the game, but
the endings were way too depressing. Jensen was such a likeable character. And Megan Reed, THAT bitch...

Any word on a DLC apart from Tong Rescue or an add-on ?

Takuan

bishoptl said:
Wait, you can
save Malik??!
AARRRGGGHHH why wasn't I aware of this first time through? When I saw
her body in Tong's Harvester hideout
later on, I wanted to cry. Then I took down every last guy in the place out of anger.

Guess I know what I'm doing on this second playthrough, then.
I'm coming, baby!
Exactly my response. I had taken a mostly pacifist stance with regards to taking down enemies up until that point; when I saw that, I polished off my sniper rifle/shotty and went absolutely postal. I was really surprised that
there wasn't any in-game recognition of that moment, no comment from Jensen, no music, no nothing.
I guess they figured they'd let the players react on their own.

So anyway, I beat the game over the weekend. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience, but aside from
saving Malik
there doesn't seem to be much replayability here. I really don't care to play a different build - imo stealth/hacking is the most interesting way to play. Went with "Give me Deus Ex" from the get-go and yeah, I died a lot to the bosses, but otherwise it wasn't punishingly difficult and I'm only half-decent at FPS titles. I ended the game with something like 15 praxis points remaining and roughly 20K in credits. Money was never an issue, and I was never in a situation where I needed a praxis point for a particular ability.

derFeef

subversus said:
Not if sure serious but I guess you know that boss battles were outsorced.
Them being outsourced has nothing to do with them being in the game, though. I wanna stop playing because I can't beat the 2nd boss... it's too bad that you are forced into a palystyle you have avoided so far.

Takuan

Oh, speaking of bosses, is it actually possible to do takedown attacks on these guys? I tried against boss 2 and 3 and got promptly owned. Do they need to be in a weakened state first, and is there any real indicator of when they're actually vulnerable to the takedown attack (they weren't vulnerable while incapacitated, I tried that)?

Gahh my game keeps freezing! I'm pretty sure i'm near the end. I'm past the third boss.
I'm at the part where my rocket takes me to the dock and i get through the part where there's water on the floor and electricity. I go up the latter and I make my way up the stairs and it freezes right as i get to the doors.
Has anyone else had this issue am I doomed to never finnish the game?

Edit* I'm playing the 360 version, if that helps.

Edit 2* It seems it was a bug with the door highlight. I turned Object Highlights off and it works fine now.

Wallach

Takuan said:
Oh, speaking of bosses, is it actually possible to do takedown attacks on these guys? I tried against boss 2 and 3 and got promptly owned. Do they need to be in a weakened state first, and is there any real indicator of when they're actually vulnerable to the takedown attack (they weren't vulnerable while incapacitated, I tried that)?

Outside of a bug with the third boss, no.

Jenga said:
new lazarus radio proves sarif is a bastard

everyone dead confirmed for best ending

http://soundcloud.com/eidosmontreal/pirate-dj-02
I really don't like the everyone dies ending, as I can't see how killing thousands of innocent people instantly, plus the massive tsunami Panchea's collapse would cause, is the 'good' ending. The moral of it feels way too saccharine and idealistic for the setting, especially when paired up with the deaths of many, many people who don't deserve to die and the fallout of the deaths the major players would cause. Sarif is a prick, yeah, but he was also single-handedly keeping Detroit's economy afloat and his death is going to make everything worse.

None of the endings are really good, which is a plus for the game. Darrow's is what I would pick, as my own ethics would want the truth out, even though I don't like the repercussions of it. Sarif's involves framing people that had nothing to do with it and would get everyone involved with Taggart lynched, quite possibly literally. David, your heart may be in the right place, but your methods are vile and I don't want to see what you would do with complete power and control. I'd actually be totally fine with Taggart's, if it wouldn't mean that the Illumnati's job is now so much easier.

tc farks

DEUS EX MACHINA

Damn this game brought a smile to my face so many times. The most satisfying game I've played in a while. Not limiting myself to a pure stealth or pacifist run was the best choice for me, because I tried every single possible lethal and non-lethal combination I could think of to take people out and get through certain areas. I played on console so don't know for sure but I have to assume I sunk in a minimum of 30 hours into this beauty. I never replay games except for Mario, but if I did this would be 1st on my list.

Ending #4 could have been a much more interesting ending, perhaps shown some reactions from Taggert and Sarif and seeing the whole facility go down into the icy water. All 4 of them were much too similar to me. Especially since destroying the Hyron felt so anti-climatic, sorry slave girls I just didn't care. And could we have at least seen some public reactions, or a news report for the other endings? I feel like the ending felt a little rushed - thought the images and commentary wasn't bad.

Looking forward to the next offering.

derFeef said:
Welp.. I am stuck on the second boss, I just can't do it on Deus Ex difficulty. 30 attempts or more - out of ideas.

How much Typhoon ammo do you have?

Fully upgraded Typhoon is ridiculously overpowered in this game. I was able to cheese through all the bosses in less than 10 seconds with 2-3 typhoon blasts.

malfcn

In Picus now. So far I believe that my Foxy run is going well.

Game is bananas sometimes. I am hiding, and I put my gun away.."THERE HE IS!!"

SHAZOOM

SenseiJinx said:
Did anyone else feel like Adam's apartment did more to build Adam's character then all of the cutscenes in the game?

The fact that he's building a clock says something about his character. And all the hidden assault rifles.

tc farks said:
DEUS EX MACHINA

Damn this game brought a smile to my face so many times. The most satisfying game I've played in a while. Not limiting myself to a pure stealth or pacifist run was the best choice for me, because I tried every single possible lethal and non-lethal combination I could think of to take people out and get through certain areas. I played on console so don't know for sure but I have to assume I sunk in a minimum of 30 hours into this beauty. I never replay games except for Mario, but if I did this would be 1st on my list.

Ending #4 could have been a much more interesting ending, perhaps shown some reactions from Taggert and Sarif and seeing the whole facility go down into the icy water. All 4 of them were much too similar to me. Especially since destroying the Hyron felt so anti-climatic, sorry slave girls I just didn't care. And could we have at least seen some public reactions, or a news report for the other endings? I feel like the ending felt a little rushed - thought the images and commentary wasn't bad.

Looking forward to the next offering.

OMG, the
Hyron girls made me wince in real life, even though I knew it was coming from the e-mails. I've never simultaneously been so creeped out and felt such pity for a character in their first appearance.

Enco

Thagomizer said:
OMG, the
Hyron girls made me wince in real life, even though I knew it was coming from the e-mails. I've never simultaneously been so creeped out and felt such pity for a character in their first appearance.
Do you mean
the girls in the final boss fight that come out of that machine if you press the buttons
? If so, what were they all about? I didn't get that bit.
I killed them all to stop the machine

Enco said:
Do you mean
the girls in the final boss fight that come out of that machine if you press the buttons
? If so, what were they all about? I didn't get that bit.
I killed them all to stop the machine

Just... look at them!

radeonxt

hi!

Where do you think is this game better to be played? (And Why)

Xbox 360

Laptop (core i5, 8GB Ram DDR3, Mobility Radeon HD5650)

Price - 16€ PC VS 20€ Xbox 360.

Thanks!

IoCaster

Gold Member
Thagomizer said:
Sarif's involves framing people that had nothing to do with it and would get everyone involved with Taggart lynched, quite possibly literally.

Taggart spoilers...

There's a pocket sec in the FEMA facility that makes it clear that Taggart had some knowledge about the initial attack on Sarif HQ. Not to mention the intro segment with the Illuminati talking heads.
I'm having a difficult time mustering any level of righteous indignation on his behalf. *shrug*

Got this game yesterday. And didn't know how good the stealth to this game is. I'm debating on starting my file over, and go stealth all the way. I'm playing in the hardest level. So, is there any level that almost seems impossible to go stealth?

soultron

Banned
ShinobiFist said:
Got this game yesterday. And didn't know how good the stealth to this game is. I'm debating on starting my file over, and go stealth all the way. I'm playing in the hardest level. So, is there any level that almost seems impossible to go stealth?
Aside from bosses, I'm pretty sure it's possible to make it through the game without ever firing a single bullet.

ShinobiFist said:

If you're going stealth-only, it makes no difference what difficulty you play on. I went all stealth, and I regret not picking the hardest difficulty.

ShinobiFist said:

I would say on the hardest difficulty, there are areas where it is harder to NOT go stealth.

GhaleonEB

The spoilered discussion around a certain character - that would be
Malik's demise, or not
- has had me thinking about how this game handles player choices. I like how there are a lot of overlapping decision points along the way. Particularly in the side quests, such as letting certain characters live or not. In some cases entire side quests open up down the road depending on the outcome of the conversation battles, and many of the missions offer payoffs. Such as
saving both the husband and the wife during the first mission, or the backstory mission that stems from the backdoor access that Sarif was running

But in the end, none of it adds up to anything. The endings all felt empty.

The three side options of broadcasting different versions of the story all ring hollow. The way the media manipulates the messages the masses see is one of the main themes in the game. The notion that a one-time broadcast of one version of events would in any way have such a dramatic effect as altering the course of human evolutionary history struck me as absurd, and contradictory to the themes in the narrative. Heck, we have instances in our own recent history where corporate (or government) PR washed over the real version of events in the public view, even after the real story comes out. It happens all the time, for issues big and small. So those three endings just ring false.

The "main" ending of blowing up the installation and all of the characters in it is better, but still feels empty. In the end, our only contribution to things will have been to knock off various characters (Sarif, etc.) and the disruption of the kill switch plot. Though the ending makes clear that is a temporary victory.

I wish the choices we made along the way somehow added up to more in the end. The narrative can be shaped in some interesting ways, but it all ends up in the same place. It seems like a waste to have four endings, and then not link the player's actions to any of them beyond pressing one of four buttons at the end. For a game about choices and player freedom, it's really weird that the alternate endings are sequestered from our decisions.

Top Bottom