• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Guts Of Thor

Thorax of Odin
nib95 said:
Finally completed the game yesterday. Still a little disappointed at the overall level of polish, lack of depth or real world enormity. Very repetitive and sometimes only offers the illusion of grandeur. I do like the story and the ending options mind. Overall its a solid title, but one lacking in ambition and depth. Could have been a lot more but as is, it's entertaining, just not mind blowing. If I had to give it a score on the meta scale it'd probably be somewhere between 8 to 8.5. Probably the lower end of that scale if I'm honest.

I felt the same way. This game really shows how much of a masterpiece the first one was in my opinion. I agree the game is a solid title and entertaining but personally it does not even come close to the first. The game is a 7 in my books and the first major disappointment this year.

At least I still have the first game.

ScOULaris

Quick question to those of you who have beaten the game:

I just picked up where I left off a few weeks ago, and I am about to fight
Namir. Unfortunately, I upgraded my biochip earlier in the game so I knew going in that my HUD would be screwed up. What I didn't realize is that I wouldn't be able to use Typhoon because of it! I have been saving up ammo and batteries specifically for this purpose, and now I am screwed.

I really don't want to have to beat this guy in a straight-up firefight since I don't have the grenade launcher or any frag grenades. Does the one punch method still work after the patch that was recently released?

so1337

ScOULaris said:
Quick question to those of you who have beaten the game:

I just picked up where I left off a few weeks ago, and I am about to fight
Namir. Unfortunately, I upgraded my biochip earlier in the game so I knew going in that my HUD would be screwed up. What I didn't realize is that I wouldn't be able to use Typhoon because of it! I have been saving up ammo and batteries specifically for this purpose, and now I am screwed.

I really don't want to have to beat this guy in a straight-up firefight since I don't have the grenade launcher or any frag grenades. Does the one punch method still work after the patch that was recently released?
I'm pretty sure that I was able to use Typhoon regardless.

ScOULaris

so1337 said:
I'm pretty sure that I was able to use Typhoon regardless.
Even with the upgraded chip? I was mashing Typhoon when I tried the fight this morning, but nothing came out. Then again, he killed me within the first 15 seconds of the fight after I rushed him and started mashing the right directional button to no avail. Maybe there's a delay before I can start using it?

so1337

ScOULaris said:
Even with the upgraded chip? I was mashing Typhoon when I tried the fight this morning, but nothing came out. Then again, he killed me within the first 15 seconds of the fight after I rushed him and started mashing the right directional button to no avail. Maybe there's a delay before I can start using it?
I'm not entirely sure. I used the Shotty and Combat Rifle through most of the fight. Definitely finished him off with a Typhoon though.

so1337

ThoseDeafMutes said:
You cannot. You are probably confusing multiple playthroughs or two of the boss fights.
Namir's the dude with the flesh suit, right?
I almost assuredly used a Typhoon on him. It was my first playthrough too.
The inventory went bonkers because I'd implanted the biochip earlier.

It makes sense to not be able to use Typhoon there.
After all, that chip 'upgrade' fucks with all your augmentations.

As an alternate strategy, if you have the heavy lifting aug, you should go back out into the level, hack one of the turrets to attack your enemies and then carry it into the boss fight room. It will do the job for you in 6 seconds or so once the fight starts ;)

so1337 said:
Namir's the dude with the flesh suit, right?
I almost assuredly used a Typhoon on him. It was my first playthrough too.
The inventory went bonkers because I'd implanted the biochip earlier.

I'd like someone to test this. I've heard of glitches whereby some augs can be used even though you're not supposed to be able to (i.e. see through walls).

ScOULaris

spindoctor said:
It makes sense to not be able to use Typhoon there.
After all, that chip 'upgrade' fucks with all your augmentations.

As an alternate strategy, if you have the heavy lifting aug, you should go back out into the level, hack one of the turrets to attack your enemies and then carry it into the boss fight room. It will do the job for you in 6 seconds or so once the fight starts ;)
If Typhoon doesn't work, I plan on taking that approach.

Cross posting from the DLC thread. New PC Patch notes:

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=122889

A fix for some players that get stuck on an infinity loading screen in Detroit.
Fixes for some issues that caused crashes for players using specific firewall or proxy software.
Additional improvements to counter stuttering in the game.
Support for Eyefinity in combination with 3D when using interleaved stereoscopic monitors.
Support for additional brands of stereoscopic interleaved monitors when using AMD graphics hardware.
Support for Nvidia 3DVision.
Support for Nvidia Surround, also in combination with 3DVision.
Improved control over the stereo-3D display in the game.
- The allowed range for the stereo 3D Strength setting has been increased.
- A Stereo 3D Plane setting was added to provide additional control over the 3D effect.
Various performance improvements.
Fix for ‘moire’ issues seen on billboards in DX11 mode.
Some changes to try to counter specific driver issues causing crashes in DX11 mode.

the game is ok, nothing mind-blowing. halfway through and it's nothing i haven't seen before. some things i've seen over and over. i know for a fact i won't finish it.

Massa

When you're doing small side quests in Detroit or China the game is amazing.

For most of the time you're doing the main missions in boring offices, it's just "meh".

And the boss fights are fucking atrocious.

Edit: I should clarify I only got to the second boss. That's when I decided I have better things to do with my time.

spekkeh

Banned
Foreign Jackass said:
First half of the game : 9/10
Second half of the game : 6/10

Total : 7.5
Yeah same here. It all started unraveling when they mentioned
the illuminati
what the hell, party like it's 99? I'm not even sure why I spoilered it, it's just dumb anyway.

The gameplay itself was pretty good. I had fun with it. I thought the story wasn't handled too well though. Quite a few times I felt like I missed an important plot element somewhere, even though I searched and hacked everywhere. Subplots were also handled confusingly, where they would cue subquests on the map at one time, but not the other. (specially in the beginning with the hostages and in the final mission).

spekkeh said:
the illuminati
what the hell, party like it's 99? I'm not even sure why I spoilered it, it's just dumb anyway.

The gameplay itself was pretty good. I had fun with it. I thought the story wasn't handled too well though. Quite a few times I felt like I missed an important plot element somewhere, even though I searched and hacked everywhere. Subplots were also handled confusingly, where they would cue subquests on the map at one time, but not the other. (specially in the beginning with the hostages and in the final mission).

Re: spoilered text:

I guess you never played DX1?

The Illuminati were all over that game.

Dries

Stuttering is still there with the new patch. I wonder if I'll ever get to play the game. Also wondering if I even want to. I've become so sick of this.

RedSwirl

spekkeh said:
the illuminati

Yeah, if you've played DX1 then you already know the game goes into that territory, but even there that turn was a disappointment for me. Both games start out with what feel like really thick, practical storylines and then just turn into crazy conspiracy stories halfway through.

spekkeh

Banned
SenseiJinx said:
Re: spoilered text:

I guess you never played DX1?

The Illuminati were all over that game.
No I didn't, although I figured that would be the reason why. The after credits bit consequently also made no sense to me whatsoever. So a fanservice then. Still, didn't sell the (credibility of the) story to the neutral viewer (i.e. newcomer) one bit.

spekkeh

Banned
Massa said:
Edit: I should clarify I only got to the second boss. That's when I decided I have better things to do with my time.
I thought the second boss was the most annoying too, that is, until I discovered that you can basically save the game every time you got a good shot at her, and continue from there.
Then I started hoarding Typhoon ammo, so no future boss would annoy me again.

only to discover you can't use typhoon at the third boss, grrr. At least the last boss was easy with 16 typhoon packs

spekkeh said:
No I didn't, although I figured that would be the reason why. The after credits bit consequently also made no sense to me whatsoever. So a fanservice then. Still, didn't sell the (credibility of the) story to the neutral viewer (i.e. newcomer) one bit.

Can't argue with that. DX1 wasn't exactly a "credible" story either. An awesome one, but it definitely did revel in the crazy conspiracy theory thing.

There's not a ton to the after credits bit. Basically, Bob Page (the guy talking) was a member of the Illuminati but breaks off and forms Majestic 12 and is the main bad guy in DX1.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
spekkeh said:
only to discover you can't use typhoon at the third boss, grrr. At least the last boss was easy with 16 typhoon packs
You totally can use Typhoon with Jaron Namir.
Unless this has something to do with having your augs upgraded...? I've never gone for the LIMB upgrade so I couldn't say,

bishoptl said:
You totally can use Typhoon with Jaron Namir.
Unless this has something to do with having your augs upgraded...? I've never gone for the LIMB upgrade so I couldn't say,

Yah, it does. All of your augs are disabled in that fight if you get the upgrade.

MaddenNFL64

It's a downgrade lol. The thing is just a killswitch for augmentations the illuminati wanted in every aug. In that fight, all your augs get turned off, your screen is glitched to hell, and you only have your weapons to handle Jaron. It's still easy if you have a bunch of frags

Seda

There are really easy ways to beat the 3rd and 4th bosses. On the 360 version anyway.

3rd.
Run behind the wall, mash the takedown button. He'll jump over the wall and you'll down a takedown. Done.

4th boss is very easy with a certain weapon. The
..............Laser Rifle...................

Just find Zhao, cloak and then zap her with the laser rifle. Done.

spekkeh

Banned
Oh wow, I can't even remember getting it upgraded (or having a choice in the matter). I guess that's pretty cool that the game and boss battle plays out differently according to that.

on a related note
I had three battery containers, but only one ever fills up (unless I used the energybooster jar I think), then when Megan removed the 'upgrade', I suddenly had all three containers. Was this a coincidence, or bug, or also a result of getting the upgrade?

spekkeh

Banned
Seda said:
There are really easy ways to beat the 3rd and 4th bosses. On the 360 version anyway.

3rd.
Run behind the wall, mash the takedown button. He'll jump over the wall and you'll down a takedown. Done.

4th boss is very easy with a certain weapon. The
..............Laser Rifle...................

Just find Zhao, cloak and then zap her with the laser rifle. Done.
I guess we played very different bosses. I couldn't do that with the 3rd boss because of the above spoiler, and concerning the fourth one
What's this about finding her? She's hanging there all along isn't she? I killed the life support of the quantum computer human slave thing and then I just destroyed the robots until she overloaded herself with electricity
Or do you mean second boss?

MaddenNFL64

spekkeh said:
I guess we played very different bosses. I couldn't do that with the 3rd boss because of the above spoiler, and concerning the fourth one
What's this about finding her? She's hanging there all along isn't she? I killed the life support of the quantum computer human slave thing and then I just destroyed the robots until she overloaded herself with electricity

Thats the way I did it at first, but the laser rifle way is so much faster. Don't need to even touch the hyron, just go for Zhao & hit her with the laser rifle. Done.

milkham

spekkeh said:

I did it maddennfl64's way on both bosses with no trouble.

areal

animlboogy said:
Just started, put about three hours in. I'm kind of surprised by how unimpressed I am so far.
I started this last night and feel exactly the same way. I hope it improves... or stops taking itself so seriously.

animlboogy said:
Just started, put about three hours in. I'm kind of surprised by how unimpressed I am so far. The voice acting is awful, animations are awful, the tutorial system is completely stupid (watch a video that overstays its welcome or go in blind? Aren't there better ways to do this?), the writing is shaky (I just finished Bloodlines, though, so my expectations are probably off the charts)...

I hope it gets better. Right now I'm actually regretting spending 30 bucks on it. It just seems really generic, and I absolutely don't care about any of the characters yet.

How far are you? Have you beaten the first level yet? I wasn't a fan of the first level. It gets a lot better after that. Getting to explore Detroit for the first time is when the game really clicked for me. So many things to do, and such an interesting city to explore. Take your time and do the sidequests. They're great. Coming off Bloodlines, I think you should appreciate Detroit as well, it gave a really Bloodlines-esque vibe to me.

I started this last night and feel exactly the same way. I hope it improves... or stops taking itself so seriously.

Well, it doesn't really stop taking itself seriously, but I thought it got better after the first bit.

Just finished the game and I had a blast playing it. Put over 40 hours into it.

Loved the atmosphere and despite it's flaws, I was able to overlook them since I enjoyed the game so much.

I really really hope they do a HD update or a remake of the original Deus Ex.

Also, would love to buy that dlc, but I've got Batman to play now! Hopefully it'll be half off by early next year!

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
SkyMasterson said:
Just finished the game and I had a blast playing it. Put over 40 hours into it.

Loved the atmosphere and despite it's flaws, I was able to overlook them since I enjoyed the game so much.

I really really hope they do a HD update or a remake of the original Deus Ex.

Also, would love to buy that dlc, but I've got Batman to play now! Hopefully it'll be half off by early next year!
If you have the PS3 version Sony's PSN Store messed up and has the DLC for 10 dollars instead of 15.

kayos90 said:
If you have the PS3 version Sony's PSN Store messed up and has the DLC for 10 dollars instead of 15.

*sigh* I saw this on cheapassgamer and I was like, "NOOOOOO". I would totally buy it if it glitched on Xbox as well. Thanks for the heads up!

It works out better though, gives me a chance to digest this game, move on to other great fall games! Then come back to this 6 months later or so.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Is there a new game+ here?

Also, I heard from many places around the Internet the bosses are a pain in the ass to beat if you are not putting points into battle-specific augmentations? .......How lame :\

Wallach

Laughing Banana said:

Also, I heard from many places around the Internet the bosses are a pain in the ass to beat if you are not putting points into battle-specific augmentations? .......How lame :\

No new game+.

You don't need any combat augs to make short work of any of the bosses, honestly. I think the only issue with the bosses is that you are simply forced to fight them period.

I'm a little dissapointed at how limited the Augemented Edition's soundtrack is. It's missing a ton of good tracks, almost all of the ambient music, most of the combat music, the only boss theme on it is the weakest one (Yelena's track is fantastic but Barret's is really weak), and doesn't have any of the character's liefmotifs on it, Icarus notwithstanding. The hell?

Laekon

So I just got to the
data core area in China
but haven't fought the 2nd boss yet. At a slow/explore everything pace am I even close to the half way part of the game?

evangd007

Laughing Banana said:

Most bosses can be cheesed with
EMP, stun gun, and explosives.

During the second boss who has a cheesy ability that gave a lot of people trouble,
Eliza actually tells you that using EMP will disrupt her electo-floor ability, and there are a couple EMP mines in one of the lockers.

Ya know what I don't get about this game? Why every grenade takes up 1 slot and doesn't stack except for the remote explosives, which take up 2 slots and stack up to 2.

Deadly

Thagomizer said:
Well that's some fantastic gouging, advertising that the limited edition has the soundtrack when it's less than a third of the actual music, and then releasing a separate one...
I think it's more cause people liked the OST alot and there was enough demand to warrant an actual full OST. Don't think there were plans at first to release a seperate soundtrack.

Ketch

So I'm pretty excited to play this game, but I want to finish the first deus ex... first. I had a couple questions for those of you in the know.

Do they already have more DLC scheduled? Is the current DLC worth the money? and do you think the full game will get any better sales then the $30 bucks on amazon? Just thinking I could get the full game and the one DLC right now for under $50 bucks... but it might be better to wait until black friday sales.. maybe they'll be a black and gold edition or something... anyone have any ideas?

Also, are there enough references/tie-ins to the original that I will appreciate having played it first? I'm really enjoying the first one and plan on finishing it either way, just trying to feed my hype for playing the current gen version of this awesome game.

Finally, I just made it Hong Kong in the original, am I about halfway through? ETA for HD arm blades and optic camo?

thanks

Lucius86

Banned
Deadly said:
I think it's more cause people liked the OST alot and there was enough demand to warrant an actual full OST. Don't think there were plans at first to release a seperate soundtrack.

I hope so - because otherwise that is exceptionally cheeky.

Top Bottom