• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Maffis

I really liked this game (boss fights excluded), but it felt like they built this awesome world up for nothing. So much back story of the whole world, which I found more interesting then the real story line. Kind of disappointing, because I thought the main story was kind of uninteresting.

milkham

AltogetherAndrews said:
No, it's the second one. Fuck this boss.

what weapons do you have with you? i had no combat upgrades and beat her on the second try just with emp grenades and an upgraded shotgun. i only really had trouble with the first boss and the remaining bosses after the second were pretty much cake.

I never posted in this thread before but my answer to all boss battles in this game was stun gun, stun gun, stun gun, stun gun, stun gun,stun gun, stun gun...ok wait for it...wait for it...shotgun to the head, shotgun to the head, shotgun to the head................

MaddenNFL64

Kinda OT, but playing the first game, and HR gave me some ideas on tackling situations.

I always used the baton head whack for silent takedowns obviously. I still do that as it saved ammo, but now i'm using the stun prod like a double takedown move. Take out 2 dudes talking to eachother just like in HR without a peep. Fun times.

Of course i'm much more murderous in that game, maybe the achievements kept me in line.

hsukardi

I really liked the game. Definitely rates as a high-8, low-9 title for me.
Impressed with Eidos Montreal.

- Amazing atmosphere, but sometimes almost one-dimensional
- 2 wonderful cities with plenty of exploration
- Fun stealth gameplay with wide variety of styles accommodated
- The music is grreaaaaaaaaat
- Lengthy single player

I think they could ramp up the gears and take it up a level though:

- More variety in environments
- Better melee animations (not canned)
- Better endings

Really pleased with the game.

IMG_8352.jpg

I found this poster somewhere in the game, can anyone tell me where I can find it with high res?

Korigama

metsallica said:
Just beat the game at 55 hours (yep...). Only takedowns, no morphine, saved Malik without anyone dying from the robot explosion... no pacifist.

Sigh. I never even fired a gun outside of boss fights. Even redid the hyron fight when I thought the electrified floor killed some crazed guards. BUGS RULE.

My final aug loadout: http://steamcommunity.com/id/metsallica/screenshot/595825891475560267?tab=public

Tons of screens there too if anyone's interested.
You didn't kill anyone in the prologue, did you? That counts, too.

fake edit: Didn't read. Not too sure if it wasn't that, then.

Nope, I snuck by them, found that to be much easier and fun. From a few Google searches, it seems pretty clear to me that I simply hit upon a bug. Wasn't the first, either. I fulfilled all the conditions for the Sandoval suicide sequence (got Taggart to out him) and he only saw me as hostile. Didn't get the cutscene where he watches the conference on TV but one where he complains about shots being fired... which is insane as I got "ghost" when I made it to him and never shot a gun. In fact, when people would fall into the water I made sure to pull them out and check for the "Zzz" indicator! I know that's ridiculous, but what can I say? I embody the pacifist role, wish the game did too!

metsallica said:
Just beat the game at 55 hours (yep...). Only takedowns, no morphine, saved Malik without anyone dying from the robot explosion... no pacifist.

Sigh. I never even fired a gun outside of boss fights. Even redid the hyron fight when I thought the electrified floor killed some crazed guards. BUGS RULE.

My final aug loadout: http://steamcommunity.com/id/metsallica/screenshot/595825891475560267?tab=public

Tons of screens there too if anyone's interested.
you cannot kill cameras, robots and turrets for pacifist run. you cannot use hacked robots and turrets to kill enemies. the only way to get around em is to disable em through hacking or simply ignore em.
you cannot save malik while doing pacific run. because there's no pc to hack that robot.

Everything I've read says that robots are not included in pacifist. Regardless, I also never hacked a turret to turn it on enemies nor destroyed a camera. The only robot I destroyed was during the Malik sequence, and I made sure to pull bodies outside of its blast radius before I threw my EMP mine. I checked every body afterwards, too, and they were all unconscious.

how about just ignore malik and let her die, that's what i did when i achieved pacifist.

i got foxiest and pacifist on the same run, I completely ignored all side quests, and went straight for the main quests.

At this point that would require an entirely new playthrough. I'll just be slightly bitter for a bit before I move on. It's just frustrating when you know you did everything right, took your time, played it safe, and the game goes "OMG DON'T CARE." I'm no achievement person (didn't even know about pacifist until I was quite far, was just playing the game the way I found most fun), honestly to me they're artificial game extension mechanisms, but I can't deny that ache in the far recesses of my brain.

metsallica said:
At this point that would require an entirely new playthrough. I'll just be slightly bitter for a bit before I move on. It's just frustrating when you know you did everything right, took your time, played it safe, and the game goes "OMG DON'T CARE." I'm no achievement person (didn't even know about pacifist until I was quite far, was just playing the game the way I found most fun), honestly to me they're artificial game extension mechanisms, but I can't deny that ache in the far recesses of my brain.
shit happens, you just didnt know it. perhaps, there were enviromental hazards killed knocked out enemies you didnt aware of.
if you do decided to go for another pacifist run, try to shorten the game length, the less you expose to enemies the less chance you fail.

Ladyboy101 said:
how about just ignore malik and let her die, that's what i did when i achieved pacifist.

i got foxiest and pacifist on the same run, I completely ignored all side quests, and went straight for the main quests.

I did pacifist and saved her, it took like 3 tries but as long as you get head shots with the tranq gun its pretty easy, make sure when you use an EMP grenade on the robot that he isn't near any of the knocked out guards as it will self destruct and kill them, let it walk forward a bit.

Edit: Oh meh see you did that, well not sure what else you could have done, maybe you stunned someone and the fell from a height and died or something, I did the end fight and the crazed guys got electrocuted and still got pacifist, you didn't hack any turrets and turn them on the enemies did you?

Korigama

Ladyboy101 said:
you cannot kill cameras, robots and turrets for pacifist run. you cannot use hacked robots and turrets to kill enemies. the only way to get around em is to disable em through hacking or simply ignore em.
you cannot save malik while doing pacific run. because there's no pc to hack that robot.
Cameras don't count (unless going for Foxiest), robots don't count, turrets don't count (hacking to have either kill enemies for you, however, does). I got both Pacifist and Foxiest of the Hounds on my first run, and I managed to save Malik while doing so.

kyo_daikun said:
I did pacifist and saved her, it took like 3 tries but as long as you get head shots with the tranq gun its pretty easy, make sure when you use an EMP grenade on the robot that he isn't near any of the knocked out guards as it will self destruct and kill them, let it walk forward a bit.

Edit: Oh meh see you did that, well not sure what else you could have done, maybe you stunned someone and the fell from a height and died or something, I did the end fight and the crazed guys got electrocuted and still got pacifist, you didn't hack any turrets and turn them on the enemies did you?
Nope, sigh. I checked every body that fell too...

Massa

I finished the game this weekend. Damn those boss fights are terrible.

Anyway, overall I thought the game was good but it really needs to be played on a PC with quick saves and better load times.

It feels exactly like Deus Ex. Which is good and bad. Good, in that it feels like it could be the straight sequel. Bad, because it doesn't feel like it's doing much interesting on its own. Well, I guess there's the hacking and conversation stuff, but I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't craving a good old multitool after the 20th hack.

Kazzy

I really enjoyed the "Factory Zero" achievement in the DLC, forced me to approach a few areas a little differently. Found some ridiculous shortcuts in the process!

A few of the hidden ones are a little sneaky just like in the main game. I don't know how many would stumble on a certain solution to one of the key missions without a little hinting, which the game gives no indication about. I still appreciate that it exists though.

For those that have played through it...

I'm referring to the 3rd option for the gas chamber scenario

Watanabe Kazuma said:
I really enjoyed the "Factory Zero" achievement in the DLC, forced me to approach a few areas a little differently. Found some ridiculous shortcuts in the process!

A few of the hidden ones are a little sneaky just like in the main game. I don't know how many would stumble on a certain solution to one of the key missions without a little hinting, which the game gives no indication about. I still appreciate that it exists though.

For those that have played through it...

I'm referring to the 3rd option for the gas chamber scenario

I had already been in that room via exploring earlier.. for me, that was the only acceptable solution.

Jonm1010

Banned
Never played the original but so far I am loving this game.

Yeah the first boss sucked. And I'm sure this next one will be worse from what I have read. Buy I'm just trudging though them to get to the rest of the game which I think is fantastic.

I'm not going for full on pacifist, because, well, frankly at times I like to shoot people. In this game. I'm currently at the tai yong medical towers. I feel like I should be finished with most games by now but thankfully from what I've read I'm only 30% or sold the way through.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Hawkian said:
What happens
after you meet Megan if you don't save Malik?
There's an aircraft already there that they'll take. Nothing more to it than that.

Dan said:
There's an aircraft already there that they'll take. Nothing more to it than that.
and the zombies will still be in the area, you have to sneak around them to get the foxiest achievement.

The Chef

Finally beat it this morning. What a spectacularly long game holy crap. I really loved the entire experience. The Stealth was phenomenal, combat was equally as enjoyable for me too.

I was playing on the hardest difficulty and I never found boss fights to be too difficult. I would just spam mines and they'd be dead pretty quick.
It would have been nice to know that since I was taking such an extreme stealth/non lethal route I should have honestly ditched all my weapons but the only ones I ever used (Trank Rifle and Stun Gun)

All in all one of my absolute favorite stealth action games. Loved it.

Kinyou

So I just played through the DLC and now I'm wondering...
are they planning on releasing even more episodes? Because at the end of the credits it said something like "this only the beginning". Wouldn't mind to get some more Adam Jensen.

Yuripaw

Banned
I've already beaten the game, but out of curiosity, has the PC version been patched yet where it doesn't stutter so much? That did hurt some of the enjoyment of the game for me, and I'd love to see it run with a solid frame rate.

Clevinger

Yuripaw said:
I've already beaten the game, but out of curiosity, has the PC version been patched yet where it doesn't stutter so much? That did hurt some of the enjoyment of the game for me, and I'd love to see it run with a solid frame rate.

Yes. It seems to have helped some and not others, though.

abunai

Yuripaw said:

I used to have stuttering and don't anymore. There were a few patches that addressed it, the latest being on the 18th of October. So, your stuttering might be gone, too.

suikodan

I did finish this game recently and it was probably said before but I had a huge Metal Gear Solid vibe from it.

Adam's voice, the stealth gameplay, thematic bosses and especially the last section where
Adam lands on Panchaea
, it felt like Snake landing in Outer Heaven in MGS4.

I did like it but felt it could have ended sooner.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
AltogetherAndrews said:
No, it's the second one. Fuck this boss.

I ran around the outside of the circle, waited for her to do her special attack and shock her self, from there it took two typhoons and down she went.

Drek

Started this last weekend, about 10 hours in and I'm putting it back on the shelf. So damn many bugs. The last straw was afters pending the entire evening meticoulously going through the "Cloak and Daggers" side quest I get to the part where
you subdue Double T and co., only to find that one of his guys spawns up in the freaking sky behind a water tower with no way to reach him or even see him.

I'll be dumping it for what remaining value I can get out of it and picking it up used in 6-12 months when its ~$20 and the developers finally finish making their game.

Great ideas, horrible execution. But I guess that seems to be the industry standard now.

the second boss is really ez, just run around in the room, bait her to do her charging move and run into wall, then shoot her with any weapon, repeat. its helps if you have protection against electricity, but not manditory. i dont understand why people say the second one is the hardest.
the hardest one for gun on gun battle i can think of is the 3rd one, with new biochip installed of course.

Sullichin

It's funny to come back to this thread and see new players complaining about the bosses.

i didn't think they were particularly great encounters, but i don't think they are the this shit smear on the game that many people seem to think they are. They are little asides that play differently than the rest of the game... and the game always gives you what you need to destroy the boss right there in the room. you don't really have to waste praxis to get the typhoon to "cheese" the boss. although the typhoon is just awesome so get that shit eventually anyway.

Laekon

Can anyone tell me the name of a save file? I just built a new pc and can't get the game working. I think I deleted the save files some how as they aren't in the normal places Steam puts them.

Leunam

Sullichin said:
It's funny to come back to this thread and see new players complaining about the bosses.

i didn't think they were particularly great encounters, but i don't think they are the this shit smear on the game that many people seem to think they are. They are little asides that play differently than the rest of the game... and the game always gives you what you need to destroy the boss right there in the room. you don't really have to waste praxis to get the typhoon to "cheese" the boss. although the typhoon is just awesome so get that shit eventually anyway.

If you're running and gunning the whole game, then sure, I guess the bosses are fine. If you've been playing the game with stealth in mind for upgrades, the boss fights are basically "lol, fuck your stealth shit." It's a serious low point.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Bosses are incredibly easy no matter how you play. I always kept a 2-3 nades + 2 or so mines in my inventory at all times and they each took like 30 seconds.

Korigama

Leunam said:
If you're running and gunning the whole game, then sure, I guess the bosses are fine. If you've been playing the game with stealth in mind for upgrades, the boss fights are basically "lol, fuck your stealth shit." It's a serious low point.
I did the latter. They were still pretty easy.

Top Bottom