Deus Ex: Human Revolution System Requirements Released [Update: PC Screenshots]

Oct 1, 2007
13,900
0
0
Eastern Shores
#52
Enkidu said:
It might be because this game actually has DX11 features. Can't really go much lower than 5850 and still have decent power and be DX11 enabled.
Hah, didn't think about that one. Good point. I wouldn't mind some screen showing off the DX11 features at some point though, it'll help convince me, more than the screen that was inlined so far.

Edit: The above screens are a little disappointing, the character modeling looks weird/low quality, and the textures and 3D fluff of the jackets are a bit awkward.

Ickman3400 said:
Where does a gtx 470 sit on the recommended specs? I don't follow the AMD stuff so I don't know what a 5850 is in comparison.
5870 > GTX 470 >> 5850

Or see here.
 

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Jul 1, 2009
18,776
0
0
#56
User33 said:
Deus Ex isn't a game you play for graphics. The original looked like ass when it came out too.
I'm having a hard time believing that modern games will ever have that magic of substance > style that "older" games had.

Nonetheless I hope I'm proven wrong since I'm getting this game day 1 anyways.
 

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Jan 29, 2008
36,153
0
0
Australia
#57
User33 said:
Deus Ex isn't a game you play for graphics. The original looked like ass when it came out too.
Different engine, different art, different developer. Just because it's part of the same franchise doesn't excuse mediocre visuals.

It doesn't really bother me because I know the game looks quite hot in motion, but it's hard not to notice how pretty flat and basic the lighting is in shots like this. If you told me this was from a screenshot of a game over a year ago I'd believe you.
 
Dec 12, 2006
38,766
1
0
eviloreisarapist
#60
EatChildren said:
Different engine, different art, different developer. Just because it's part of the same franchise doesn't excuse mediocre visuals.

It doesn't really bother me because I know the game looks quite hot in motion, but it's hard not to notice how pretty flat and basic the lighting is in shots like this. If you told me this was from a screenshot of a game over a year ago I'd believe you.
Some of the screens actually reminded me of the old Red Steel bullshots

I know the game looks nicer from other screens and videos, but yeah, these new pictures don't.

I have a gtx275. I almost want to update to a DX11 card early for the awesome wave of PC games I'm genuinely excited about releasing this year (Skyrim, BF3, Witcher 2, this, Diablo 3...ok, not all this year).
 
May 14, 2007
41
0
0
#63
Linkzg said:
Some of the screens actually reminded me of the old Red Steel bullshots

I know the game looks nicer from other screens and videos, but yeah, these new pictures don't.

I have a gtx275. I almost want to update to a DX11 card early for the awesome wave of PC games I'm genuinely excited about releasing this year (Skyrim, BF3, Witcher 2, this, Diablo 3...ok, not all this year).
Hey, that's the card I have! Yeah, I know what you mean... I might have to update it as well. She's been a good lass, but the time's are changin'.
 
Feb 22, 2011
2,490
0
0
Scotland
#64
Ickman3400 said:
Is there any confirmation on controller support, or at least confirmation on that confirmation coming this week?
One would imagine there is support due to it being developed at least with consoles in mind too, but I don't think there has been confirmation as of yet.

My PC really needs an upgrade and I also need a new monitor ;_;
 
Aug 22, 2010
1,697
0
0
Tampere, Finland
#66
abunai said:
One would imagine there is support due to it being developed at least with consoles in mind too, but I don't think there has been confirmation as of yet.
One would imagine, yes. Too bad this isn't true in reality. I wish all multiplatform games that get a release on PC supported controllers, but they don't :-(
 

ZombieFred

Junior Member
Mar 4, 2010
3,085
0
0
England
#67
Ickman3400 said:
Is there any confirmation on controller support, or at least confirmation on that confirmation coming this week?
Considering that Nixxes Software put in controller support in Kane and Lynch 2 (which worked like a charm) and are working heavily on the PC version, I am 100% confident that controller support will be in there :)
 
Feb 22, 2011
2,490
0
0
Scotland
#69
A few more bits from 4players:

  • Eyefinity support (already knew this)
  • Stereoscopic 3D support
  • DX11 (tesselation is specified) support (already knew this)
  • The game is more GPU heavy than CPU, apparently
  • "handling" (?) gameplay should be reminiscent of the first (button mapping, manual keypad entry, no "push start to begin" :lol)
  • A video showing differences (not sure between what) is out thursday
  • Gamepad support is confirmed in this article





 
Mar 1, 2011
1,891
0
0
#72
ZombieFred said:
Considering that Nixxes Software put in controller support in Kane and Lynch 2 (which worked like a charm) and are working heavily on the PC version, I am 100% confident that controller support will be in there :)
Yeah I'm hoping, but you never know if devs will use the "different interface" excuse to not put it in like Bioshock 2 or Bioware games.
 
Feb 22, 2011
2,490
0
0
Scotland
#74
Ickman3400 said:
Yeah I'm hoping, but you never know if devs will use the "different interface" excuse to not put it in like Bioshock 2 or Bioware games.
The German article I linked up a few posts said there is gamepad support in DXHR, according to google translate. Hopefully it isn't that bad of a translation that it manages to be inaccurate.
 
May 14, 2007
41
0
0
#75
mik83kuu said:
One would imagine, yes. Too bad this isn't true in reality. I wish all multiplatform games that get a release on PC supported controllers, but they don't :-(
I know here in the office people have used/are using 360 controllers with the PC version.
 
May 28, 2006
7,786
0
0
#82
I sit somewhere in the middle. It's nice to see my Core2Quad is in the recommended, and I have enough RAM. My 4870X2 is just below the recommended specs, though.

I wonder how it'll perform...
 

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Mar 10, 2007
24,188
0
1,010
#83
xbulletholes said:
any idea if my 2010 macbook pro will be okay? serious question, i've no idea what the oomph of the graphics card in this thing is capable of...
The one with the GT 330M? Maybe at the lowest resolution and settings available.
 

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Mar 10, 2007
24,188
0
1,010
#85
rs7k said:
How about my quad core laptop with a 350M?
The one with DDR3? You're looking at 40% slower than an 8800 GT.

And I remember you, from the gaming laptop thread. I pointed you to an $1099 laptop with the Mobility 5870, and a $1200 with the GTX 460M, both of which you said were too expensive, then you went and spent $1500 on that freaking Toshiba. Then I basically begged you to reconsider.

I know I'm kinda putting you on blast, but damn son, we've come full fucking circle.
 
Nov 21, 2005
31,045
1
0
35
Spokane, WA
#90
abunai said:
A few more bits from 4players:

  • Eyefinity support (already knew this)
  • Stereoscopic 3D support
  • DX11 (tesselation is specified) support (already knew this)
  • The game is more GPU heavy than CPU, apparently
  • "handling" (?) gameplay should be reminiscent of the first (button mapping, manual keypad entry, no "push start to begin" :lol)
  • A video showing differences (not sure between what) is out thursday
  • Gamepad support is confirmed in this article






FUUUUCK YES!
 

Lime

Member
Apr 27, 2008
26,894
0
0
#91
August is too far away. And bad timing in terms of start of next semester and so forth :(
meh I'll just skip class for a day or two
 
#92
Looks like the C2D and 8600M GT in my old MacBook Pro might not cut it for this one... I really want to get the PC version (it's Deus Ex!), but I want it to be playable. Might have to go for PS3.

Too bad Portal 2 has spoiled me; I was hoping it would run just fine on my laptop AND give me a free PC copy if I purchase the PS3 version.
 

rs7k

Member
Jun 9, 2004
4,257
0
0
#93
K.Jack said:
The one with DDR3? You're looking at 40% slower than an 8800 GT.

And I remember you, from the gaming laptop thread. I pointed you to an $1099 laptop with the Mobility 5870, and a $1200 with the GTX 460M, both of which you said were too expensive, then you went and spent $1500 on that freaking Toshiba. Then I basically begged you to reconsider.

I know I'm kinda putting you on blast, but damn son, we've come full fucking circle.
Yeah, well I'm not too keen on those things, the laptop had 3D glasses and I basically said OMG I want this and bought it on impulse. LOL

Anyways, I just want to know if it should run it as good as it would on the 360. I don't care either way, I'm getting this game.
 
Sep 13, 2006
5,025
0
1,030
#98
Hope this isn't old:

UI/PC Game Design Q&A: DEUS EX: HUMAN REVOLUTION (PC)
As answered by:
Julien Bouvrais (JB)‐ Director of Technology, Eidos‐Montreal
Jean‐Francois Dugas (JFD)‐ Game Director, Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Jurjen Katsman (JK)‐ Founder and President, Nixxes

‐ What was your biggest challenge about developing Deus Ex: Human Revolution for
the PC?


JB: Certainly the biggest challenge in developing Deus Ex: Human Revolution for PC
has been ensuring that the franchise lives up to the expectations of the gamers who have
been following the franchise since it started in 2000. The PC version of the game needed to
be a game in itself and not just of port of the console version.

JFD: The original Deus Ex was a PC game at its core and we wanted to make sure
Deus Ex: Human Revolution felt that way as well, even though it's a cross‐platform
game. Therefore, we took the time to go back to the original game, look at the
interface, the inventory mechanic, etc. Though Deus Ex: Human Revolution is a
different game, we wanted to recapture some of the look and feel of the original in
regards to these aspects. Our challenge was to make sure that we would get the time
and the resources needed to develop these distinctive features adapted for the PC
version, which we ultimately did.

‐ How close has the partnership been between the Eidos‐Montreal development
team and Nixxes in developing the PC version?


JB: While it is true that Nixxes is not working geographically in the same location as
the rest of the team, they are truly a part of the Eidos‐Montreal development team.
They are working in the same development branch as we are and we talk to each
other on a daily basis. Nixxes works hand‐in‐hand with the same design team that
takes care of the other versions. Eidos Interactive and Nixxes had a long history of
collaboration even before the Eidos‐Montreal studio existed. We needed an expert in
the PC field to partner with and we knew Nixxes was that developer.

JFD: We’ve been developing Deus Ex: Human Revolution on PC, Xbox 360 and PS3
simultaneously since the beginning, with the same level of importance. Nixxes
stepped in pretty far along in the project to give us a hand on the PC version because
by its very nature it’s the version that requires the most platform specific work and
we simply didn’t have the resources to assign dev team members to work on one
platform. Nixxes really has been a terrific partner and I feel very lucky to have been
able to enlist their talent and expertise.

‐ What do you want fans to know about the PC version?

JK: We really want them to know that Deus Ex: Human Revolution is a true PC game.
Yes, you will have a lot of options, no “press start” screen, full mouse support‐‐
everything we feel a PC game should have. Further, with the graphics, there are
multiple options for anti‐aliasing, shadow quality levels, and the ability to enable or
disable various post processing effects. All controls can be fully remapped as
expected from a PC game as well.

JFD: I want the fans to know that when they play the PC version that it won’t feel like
a console game with a keyboard and mouse... they’ll be playing a true PC game in
terms of the feel of the controls and gameplay.

‐ What is your favourite feature of the PC version?

JK: It is difficult to pick a favourite feature. There is a lot of cool stuff in the game. But
one thing specific to the PC version that we think is quite cool are some features we
have been working on with AMD. I can’t talk about these right now, but a video and
details will be released on Thursday. Let’s just say that they fully immerse players in
the Deus Ex: Human Revolution experience visually.

‐ Is there anything exclusive to the PC version? If so, please explain.

JK: Well, the main game is the same on all platforms‐‐ the same story, the same
endings. But, we do have additional graphics features and a different weapon
selection bar to tailor to the keyboard and mouse. There is a simple drag and drop
interface to bind things in your inventory to specific keys on your keyboard, making
them quickly accessible, and you can then also cycle through these with your mouse
scroll wheel while in‐game. For graphics, there are some unique features, like
smoother shadows, more realistic ambient occlusion effects, stereoscopic 3D‐‐
various things that the extra hardware allows us to do. Our focus has been making
sure that the game is built for the PC platform as well as possible.

‐ Can you explain a bit about the control scheme of the PC version?

JB: The game can be played either with a controller or with a mouse and keyboard.
The control scheme can be customized to the player’s liking. A lot of rework has been
done for the mouse and keyboard control. Every piece of the game UI has been
adapted for this. When you are playing a game on PC, you expect the pieces of UI
(button, controls, etc) to react with the mouse as opposed to tapping up and down
on a controller and then selecting your choice with the accept button. This was a real
challenge in the case of Deus Ex: Human Revolution because we use a lot of in‐game
UI. The hacking interface is a prime example of this. The team basically had to rethink
the control scheme of the hacking mini‐game, so that it made sense on PC.

JFD: We support controllers, of course, but we tried to stay as close as possible to the
control scheme of the original Deus Ex in terms of the mouse and keyboard. Of
course, it can't be totally the same since we have features like the cover system that
require their own scheme. So, the numeral keys are allocated to the items/weapons
and the F keys are allocated to the active augmentations, for example. One very cool
thing in regards to the control scheme that fans will enjoy is that they can use the
keypad on the keyboard to enter numbers like in the original Deus Ex.