• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex Human Revolution turns 10 today (Aug 23)

pqueue

One of my top 5 games of all time.

Short article marking the anniversary,

On August 23, 2011, after five years of development, Human Revolution launched on PC, Xbox 360, and PS3, and the critics were silenced. It wasn't just a worthy successor to Deus Ex (an impressive achievement in and of itself), but a rare example of a big, expensive video game released by a major publisher that was deep, complex, and systemically interesting. In many ways, it's a much more streamlined, approachable game than the 1999 original. But it still features everything that made Deus Ex an all-time classic: rich interactivity, intricate level design, an evocative dystopian setting, and not just the ability to experiment and solve problems in creative ways, but trust in the player that they will.

Tommi84

'I never asked for this'.... but I enjoyed every bit of it. Easily one of the best games for me. Detroit, lower and upper Hengsha. Jeez, need to play it again one day

I just wished they'd leave the yellow filter for the GOTY edition - it was a part of the appeal.

Last edited:

jhjfss

Square killed this game to make Guardians of the galaxy.

Sad Nestor The Long Eared Christmas Donkey GIF by Warner Archive

Was about to create a thread for this game and I'm glad somebody did. Absolute masterpiece and it's a shame so much time has passed.

"Yeah RIP"

Last edited:
I've had Mankind Divided installed on my PC for months, still haven't found the will to play it, considering they will never finish the story...

Hugare

One of my all time favorites

The story, atmosphere, soundtrack, level design ... it was almost flawless, to me

The bosses are the only weak points in the game. But they come and go so fast, really didnt care much about them.

Mankind Divided was good, but the magic was not there anymore

Last edited:
I absolutely loved Human Revolution. I wish Eidos would make a remake or remaster. Lower Hengsha is still one of my favorite locations in a game.

Everyone should play the directors cut and listen to all the commentary on the game. Such an eye opener the stuff that made it in or cut/altered because of budget and time. The best was how they admit the boss battles in the original game was absolute dogshit lol.

Edit: Or how Hengsha was supposed to be a bigger hub with a level showing the high rise corp lifestyle along with the slums street level.

Last edited:

anthraticus

Banned
The og Deus Ex is still the best though.
Especially with the GMDX mod and it's offshoot...

HR is a lot more enjoyable if you play without using the helpers/markers which show where the enemies are.. Wish they had an option to disable them, as I had to tape a black piece of cardboard over the mini map on my screen when I played on PS3.

I also NEVER used the lame 3rd person sticky cover mode and played the entire game in 1st person. Try to 'un-dumb it down' a bit and bring it a little closer to og DX status.

Also only get a select few augs as most just = easy mode unfortunately.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
I still find this game to be more fun to play than Mankind Divided, probably because of the more interesting story and locations (instead of one giant hub in MD). It's a shame that no one used the opportunity to release a remaster or a re-edition for modern consoles.

Last edited:

Shut0wen

I finished the directors cut the first time this year on xbox, honestly obe of my top 5 rpgs ever just a shame the newest one has no soul

Paasei

Amazing game. Played through it a couple of time. Each with a different approach. Always got back to sneaking, though. All the possibilities and ways to complete each obstacle/mission. A shame this concept is seen too little.

Tschumi

I own this game, i claim ownership, I've played hundreds of hours both Vanilla and director's cut, I've owned it on multiple platforms, i was calling it a goat from day 1, this game is my #2 OAT only supplanted by The Witcher 3. And this game is the ONLY reason I'm able to make the gameplay mental leap required to think cyberpunk 2077 is a great game in its current state.

OreIqB.gif

Last edited:
One of my favourite games of all time, I have been tweeting at Square, Eidos, and the DeusEx Twitter accounts periodically over the past six months asking for a remaster or release on PS5.

Reactions: stn

Verchod

I adore this game. Completed seven times, tempted to have another play through.
Also, my favourite IP of all time, though Thief almost pips it.

I still don't understand how this series and others like it don't sell big numbers. They have the immediacy of FPS, and some of the depth and variety of RPGs. The best of everything.
And yet repetitive vacuous games like Assassin's creed sell millions.

Madness

I adore this game. Completed seven times, tempted to have another play through.
Also, my favourite IP of all time, though Thief almost pips it.

I still don't understand how this series and others like it don't sell big numbers. They have the immediacy of FPS, and some of the depth and variety of RPGs. The best of everything.
And yet repetitive vacuous games like Assassin's creed sell millions.

Madness
Yep. Deus Ex is dead for Marvel shit, and the director of Prey doesn't even work at the developer anymore (and instead they are making trash like Deathloop).

It's fucked.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Originally played this on PS3, but I have it on Steam as well. Need to give it another playthrough soon.

Saber

Gold Member
I remember getting interest after watching longplay of this game.

What game. Beat the game like 5 times in row. Started first on Give me Deus Ex and it was hillarious. Killed the entire police station because I didn't know how to proceed.

Portman

Hard to believe it has been that long already. I can remember being super excited to get home from work that day to play it since the original game is one of my all time favorites. Good find with the early animation videos Grand Theft Scratchy Grand Theft Scratchy

I hate that Square laid the apparent groundwork for a third game in Mankind Divided and then bailed out on it because it didn't meet their monolithic sales numbers. Ironic when Human Revolution shocked them and they were all excited about Deus Ex being a "franchise they care about" (not their exact words their just my interpretation). I find it bittersweet that apparently their Marvel game they jumped over to isn't doing well if I understand that correctly.

I want to say hopefully we'll see another Deus Ex eventually but at the same time I'm not sure what to make of another one. They had the workings of an apparent trilogy that worked great as a prequel but besides finishing that up randomly in the future (which seems like something that wouldn't happen) I can't think of another way they could get a game out of it.

it's an awesome game. I have the physical collector edition for both HR and MD. I think I was only 1 achievement away (the one that require you to collect all the books) from 100% on HR even after 2 play throughs. probably need to replay it again one of these days. really wish they would make a new one with modern tech, something like Cyberpunk, but without the issues.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Again, Deus Ex: Human Revolution is by no means a perfect game. There are a few flaws with both the narrative and the gameplay, but in the face of what it does right – these shortcomings are minor nuisances.

That being said, Human Revolution can still be enjoyed in its original form – which can be attributed to a strong understanding of the game’s core values and how they should be evolved to better suit a newer audience. Two mainline entries and a decade later, Deus Ex’s current identity can be traced back to the framework and the mechanics featured in Human Revolution.

What awaits the future of the franchise is uncertain, but what can be pieced from this narrative is that the confidence with which the developer rewrote the playbook for the franchise is what most importantly, makes Deus Ex: Human Revolution one hell of a game.

Mossybrew

It was okay. It entertained me for some amount of hours, which is all I can ask of a game. This genre is not really my thing, so nothing special to me.

Boss Mog

A shame SE made them cut the sequel in half so they could put a shiity microtransaction mode instead. I would gladly buy a 4K/60fps remaster of both games on PS5 though.

pqueue

A shame SE made them cut the sequel in half so they could put a shiity microtransaction mode instead. I would gladly buy a 4K/60fps remaster of both games on PS5 though.
only if they complete the second half. no sense rewarding them for their stupidity and greed.

Top Bottom