• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided ARG/marketing build-up

Sparse

So the Deus Ex twitter just posted about a security breach of the in-fiction Aug Aware site:

kIAAngD.png

The link leads to here:

And the rest of the site is going loopy. Black bars and glitched text.

In the source of that page is this:
"Be ███ Aware"

"Enhancing humans with technology has become widespread. But ██ you ████ ██ ███ need████ █████████ ██ ██████ to ██████ █████ ████ Inform yourself. Progress will ████ ██ ██ ████ ██ █████ ██ truly benefit humanity."

Guess it's similar to the Sarif Industries site that Purity First took over in the run up to Human Revolution?

Sparse

Originally the article had:

Source: PICUS NEWS - PRAGUE

A series of coordinated bomb blasts tore through downtown Prague yesterday morning, killing dozens and renewing fears of large-scale terrorist mayhem against the city. Rail travel to the downtown core is being rerouted, while forensic investigators comb the bomb site for answers.

This morning it remained unclear who is responsible. But given the growing tensions surrounding the city's controversial decision to relocate augmented citizens to the neighboring Utulek Complex, this latest attack suggests that augmented terrorists may be responsible.

and then alternates to:
A̵͚͕̗̬̺͈̻͔̼ series o̱͚̟͜ͅf̨̤̺͉̜̭͇̗ coordinated bomb blasts tore through d̸̳o̸͕͎͖w̢̟̝̹n̗͕̙͖̣̞̖͘t̹̼̜̭̱̫̰͔̹͡o͓͝w̨̹̭͖͕̙̪̞n̖͙͞ Prague yesterday morning,
killing dozens a̧̟̭͓̙͙̞̜n̮̭͘d͍̤̤̜̲͉̰̟̖͜ renewing fears of large-scale terrorist mayhem against the city. Rail travel
to the downtown core is being rerouted, while forensic investigators comb the bomb site f̵͍̥ǫ̳̥̘r̛̫͎ͅ
answers.

This morning it remained u̷̞͉̥̻͔̦̭n̢͔͍͎̭̦ç̪̫͇̱͚͇̗ĺ͍̲̩̥e̷̲͚̜̞̞͕ą̬̙͇̮r̙͙͚̙̕ who is responsible. But g̡̣̤̯͔̼i̙͠v̵̘̝̹e̞̫͔̩̕ͅṋ̢̻͇̳ the growing tensions
surrounding the city's controversial decision to r̴̦̰͍̗͎̣̦̝̲e̴̯̝̱l̹̰̱͙͜o͕̯̦̖͍̲͢c͓̟̰͕̘͡ḁ̵͔̹͖͈͓͓͓̩t̯̀e̴̗̹̦͍ͅ augmented citizens to the
n̶̤̟̻̬̩e̩̤͎̜̰̖̥̰͠i̶͕͉g̷̗̖̱̣̻̩̠ͅh̶̫̮͎̣b̠͙̠͕̫͈̕o̟͉̜̖̹̥̰͔̪͘r̡͓i̡̦̖̲̼n̹̥̥͔̮͙̕g̰̜͇͇̬͈͢ Utulek Complex, this latest attack suggests that augmented terrorists may b̶͔e̷͔̺̞
responsible.

Then some redactions, until it's all redacted. Very spook.

"Enhancing humans with technology has become widespread. But ██ you ████ ██ ███ need████ █████████ ██ ██████ to ██████ █████ ████ Inform yourself. Progress will ████ ██ ██ ████ ██ █████ ██ truly benefit humanity."

Found this in the source:

Enhancing humans with technology has become widespread. But do you know of the needless suffering it brings to others every day? Inform yourself. Progress will need to be kept in check to truly benefit humanity.

Sparse

Found this in the source:

Enhancing humans with technology has become widespread. But do you know of the needless suffering it brings to others every day? Inform yourself. Progress will need to be kept in check to truly benefit humanity.

I'd argue it's more:
But you need to Inform yourself. Progress will truly benefit humanity."

CHC

I don't know if anyone else feels this way, but there's just too many damn games this year for an ARG. I really can't bring myself to care - just show me the goods here.

batfax

The real news gleaned from this page:

bright02_right-low-res.jpg

His own diner? Nice to know Adam has a side job in between adventures.

Real talk, if you believe that augmenting yourself is a bad thing, you should be fed to a karkian.

You can't stop progress. You can't stop the future.

Red Hood

Banned
I love these kind of marketing, they did an awesome job with their Human Revolution build-up as well with Purity First etc. :)

So I wonder how Sarif Industries is doing anyhow? Hope they recovered and never ended up being acquired by Tai Yong Medical in the end. They lost their CEO but there was probably a transition plan in place.

bullish Page Industries

actually, it's pretty interesting how clairvoyant Deus Ex has been at times... it sort of predicted the 'oil crash of 2016' and it even sort of predicted 'Olympic Blade Runner' before Pistorius arrived at the Olympics. I'm pretty sure he was beginning to compete globally in smaller scale non-parathlete international events at the time, so the Deus Ex writers were likely just reading the trend writing on the wall, but they went out predicted a 'blade runner' at the Olympics I think, what, 2 years before there was one.

It's actually pretty interesting to see this new news story on it because in Deus Ex HR, it never really went into detail about the parathlete using prosthesis leg blades... but now in the updated Mankind Divided story, they've went back and interwoven Pistorius' name into the actual game lore.
As an aside, this are from the last marketing push last year before the delay but they're still great.
no prawns allowed

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
The idea of a hard-boiled sci-fi protagonist who runs a diner in his spare time is just too damn good.

I have this image in my head of Adam in the kitchen using his arm blades to chop up vegetables and flip pancakes, and his spinning hands to scramble eggs.

My breakfast is augmented.

Johndoey

Banned
My web-fu ain't shit but cantkillprogress popped up in Meta Keywords.

The main thing is the articles on the site are pretty decently written and flesh out the universe some.

So I wonder how Sarif Industries is doing anyhow? Hope they recovered and never ended up being acquired by Tai Yong Medical in the end. They lost their CEO but there was probably a transition plan in place.

bullish Page Industries

I think the devs have mentioned that Sarif Industries, which was 'merely' a multi-million dollar corporation in a field dominated by multi-billion dollar corporations, went under after the Panacea incident, which is why Adam is working for the U.N.

actually, it's pretty interesting how clairvoyant Deus Ex has been at times... it sort of predicted the 'oil crash of 2016' and it even sort of predicted 'Olympic Blade Runner' before Pistorius arrived at the Olympics. I'm pretty sure he was beginning to compete globally in smaller scale non-parathlete international events at the time, so the Deus Ex writers were likely just reading the trend writing on the wall, but they went out predicted a 'blade runner' at the Olympics I think, what, 2 years before there was one.

Well by the time the game came out, we already knew athletic grade prosthetic for legs were possible, I think it's one of those 'only a matter of time' things.

It's actually pretty interesting to see this new news story on it because in Deus Ex HR, it never really went into detail about the parathlete using prosthesis leg blades... but now in the updated Mankind Divided story, they've went back and interwoven Pistorius' name into the actual game lore.

You actually see it come up a little when you're in the Picus HQ level; you can find an email where an editor is encouraging a writer to negatively editorialize the usage of augmentations in sports.

Sparse

New novel announced. Takes place between Human Revolution and Mankind Divided. Looking forward to it.

Jeez the website isn't great for grabbing text. Here's the synopsis:
The year is 2029, and the shining promise of a new age of human augmentation is in ruins in the wake of the devastating ‘Aug Incident’ – a horrific catastrophe triggered by a cabal of shadowy power brokers, where millions of cybernetically-enhanced people suffered a forced psychotic break.

Awakening in the aftermath of a changed world, with gaps in his memories and suspicion on all sides, augmented ex-cop and former security operative Adam Jensen struggles to piece his life back together, in a new reality where ‘Augs’ have become the targets of hatred, fear and violent discrimination.

Now the dark forces behind the Incident are gathering once again, reaching out to manipulate the course of global events through terror and intimidation. To find the answers that he seeks and the people who destroyed everything he knew, Jensen must return to the ashes of the past, reconnect with old allies, and risk all to expose a deadly conspiracy – but in a world shattered by secrets, can the truth be brought into the light?

Oo, Adam has gaps in his memory?

bullish Page Industries
I think the devs have mentioned that Sarif Industries, which was 'merely' a multi-million dollar corporation in a field dominated by multi-billion dollar corporations, went under after the Panacea incident, which is why Adam is working for the U.N.
Ha the new novel is well timed.

Pritchard and Sarif Industries on the cover... I'm actually pretty curious to read it.

Releasing a novel that takes place between HR and MD... on MD's release date?

Damn it, I could have done some reading this summer as I'll also be playing through all the games again.

Sparse

Awesome!! This is the first video game novelization I've ever been interested in.

Ok second if I count the "movie novel" for the Ratchet & Clank movie.

If you liked Human Revolution, there was a tie-in book called The Icarus Effect:
It focuses on an ex-SAS bloke joining the bosses you fight in HR, and a secret service agent who looks for answers after a mission goes south. There may or may not be
references and appearances from people outside of HR...

Is there actual puzzle solving in this ARG or is it more like the XCOM2 thing?

XCOM2 thing?

If you liked Human Revolution, there was a tie-in book called The Icarus Effect:

It focuses on an ex-SAS bloke joining the bosses you fight in HR, and a secret service agent who looks for answers after a mission goes south. There may or may not be
references and appearances from people outside of HR...

XCOM2 thing?

I know about it, and I'm actually considering it now.

I'm way more interested in this one though since it's more focused on Adam and Pritchard, and where it is in the timeline, but in the meantime I guess I can read this.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
So like, do I read the book while downloading the game?

Sarif, Pritchard, and Fly Girl were all awesome... The first two were especially well acted, and Malik had one of the best understated morality decisions in the series. It kinda comes out of nowhere and its repercussions aren't even fully obvious, and later is just hits you like a sack of bricks.

Top Bottom