• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided - Game Informer details [Up: Additional Details]

GavinUK86

That's a damn nice character model for him. Characters seem to benefit most when cross gen is dropped.

I think everything is benefitting by dropping last-gen.

Most of it sounds good, but:

This is literally the worst outcome for how they could have handled the ending to the first game.

It's interesting because they also say that in their "official Deus Ex lore",
Panchaea was destroyed and crashed into the Arctic Ocean and that was blamed on augmented people (terrorists) which kicked off the turmoil that we see in the game

The article also begins with the line
After surviving a catastrophic terrorist attacks, Adam Jensen returns to a world crippled by strife

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I have faith they won't Invisible War this storyline.

wish they'd try make your decisions carry over more between any future games a la Mass Effect or Dragon Age... at least stuff like the ending (or parts of it...), Malik, play style (were you a murderer or played non-lethal), who you killed or didn't kill (e.g. minor story characters like a certain guy from Belltower Associates), et cetera

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
They will try and get decisions carry over for future games. It's probably hard to get this done over different generations of consoles, so I can understand them (except on PC).

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
wish they'd try make your decisions carry over more between any future games a la Mass Effect or Dragon Age... at least stuff like the ending (or parts of it...), Malik, play style (were you a murderer or played non-lethal), who you killed or didn't kill (e.g. minor story characters like a certain guy from Belltower Associates), et cetera
It sounds like they are planning on stuff like this for future games.

Vire

Most of the screens look pretty great to me. Not the best looking game on the market, but certainly a vast improvement over HR.

I'm happy with it.

JNA

Banned
I trust they'll do this way better than Invisible War's "You've destroyed our plans and betrayed us, Alex D!!!! Oh well, return to the base for briefing on your next assignment."

I hope so too.

Oh and please this time, have boss battles where you can win without needing to kill them please.

JNA

Banned
Most of it sounds good, but:

This is literally the worst outcome for how they could have handled the ending to the first game.

Wait, they STILL don't have a canon ending?

I thought
Jenson choosing the option where he destroys the place, along with himself is the canon ending?

Edit: crud, sorry for double post.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Wait, they STILL don't have a canon ending?

I thought
Jenson choosing the option where he destroys the place, along with himself is the canon ending?

Edit: crud, sorry for double post.

That's what some people wanted, but it's clearly the least canon ending.

I think they'll retcon the ending to
the structure not blowing up instantly, giving Jensen enough time to upload at least one story/escape.
that'd allow the 4th choice to exist alongside the other 3

Vire

This has got to be a joke,
he was in the fucking bottom of the structure, the pressure would have crushed every metallic aug, bone and organ he had.

I've lost my faith now.
Feels like they didn't know the first game was going to be so successful so they obviously didn't plan for round two.

Now we will get some hokey explanation of why Jensen is back. I mean whatever, it's a cyberpunk universe and you can basically explain anything away.

Ok, Square, this almost makes up for the way you have squandered the Sleeping Dogs sequel. .. almost^^ I really enjoyed the first game and this looks like another solid entry^^ Wow... could we get Fallout 4 and this in the same year?!?! That would make me a very happy customer^^

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Feels like they didn't know the first game was going to be so successful so they obviously didn't plan for round two.

Now we will get some hokey explanation of why Jensen is back. I mean whatever, it's a cyberpunk universe and you can basically explain anything away.

They had 3 other endings, and they had to choose the one in which
he couldn't come back.
I mean, wat.

You can't please everyone, and Invisible War showed that. They should be pragmatic if that's what they're aiming to do.

Kinsei

Banned

There was nothing stopping them from having a new protagonist.

If you're going to let the main character die in one of the ending choices at least stick to your guns in the sequel.

Yagharek

I hated the first game then I played the DC on wii u and came to love it. Fantastic universe but yeah, I am confused how the main character made it to the sequel. Retcons everywhere!

Hopefully the boss fights are done properly this time.

A few shots from the mag: (let me know if these aren't allowed)

This is the new pilot:

vqzssb.PNG

This looks like the main antagonist:

xqvanu.PNG

fP4W5ph.gif

Holy fuck! Into my veins!!!

Vire

There was nothing stopping them from having a new protagonist.
I'm sure Square Enix had something to say about that.

Jensen is a widely recognized iconic character these days, starting from scratch and establishing a new audience again is probably the last thing SE wanted.

Money talks, just be happy you are getting a sequel in 2016 to DeusEx.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Seriously?

Damn...what a cop out. Who the hell is writing this?

Actually the Instagram thing someone posted earlier seems to indicate it is the canon ending. So nevermind my post there haha.

Also, it's the same writer as the last game. (Which is a good thing considering how good the writing was in the last game)

Vibranium

Banned
https://instagram.com/p/1MeZrZKW-S/

looks like the destruction ending is cannon, how Jensen survive is another question entirely though.

I thought so. Using the basis of that ending makes perfect sense with
Sarif Industries being bankrupt.

My guess is Jensen is a lucky bugger and someone managed to get him out of there. And then his redemption would be to
try to make amends for killing so many people.

Combining endings is what Invisible War did when it tried to badly continue where Deus Ex left off. I think part of why Human Revolution worked was they set the game in the Deus Ex universe but didn't try to directly connect it to the first beyond that.

Whatever, it's not like triple A gaming has much left to offer me, so I'll look at the glass half-full.

Not sure how I feel about the endings from the first game but this
-Boss encounters are designed in a way to allow players to approach any way they want (stealth, full combat, etc)
should turn out well. It would be nice to play full stealth and get around bosses in a similar way.

Not sure how I feel about the endings from the first game but this

should turn out well. It would be nice to play full stealth and get around bosses in a similar way.
If I'm being perfectly transparent, I'm one of those gamers who think the concept of boss fights is an outdated one by this point in time. That does NOT mean I mind bosses, however.

I guess we all knew there would be a new Deus Ex but FUCK YEAH MORE JENSEN! Best part in the whole thing. I'm looking forward to more Elias Toufexis awesomeness.

If I'm being perfectly transparent, I'm one of those gamers who think the concept of boss fights is an outdated one by this point in time. That does NOT mean I mind bosses, however.
I wouldn't say they're outdated but I do think we're at a point where they don't fit every game and should be a game by game basis. I think the bosses in HR worked well as encounters with villains but as boss fights themselves, they did not. I love boss fights when they fit the game and work well.

JNA

Banned
Actually the Instagram thing someone posted earlier seems to indicate it is the canon ending. So nevermind my post there haha.

Also, it's the same writer as the last game. (Which is a good thing considering how good the writing was in the last game)

Yeah just saw it. Good to know.

Although...
how would Jensen live from this?

bengraven

I really need to finish HR. I loved the story and world, but it just started to drag me down after a while. Maybe it was all the similar looking and sounding characters.

But probably all the fucking yellow.

Top Bottom