• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided review embargo lifts on 8/19

Status
Not open for further replies.

black070

Didn't give the first a chance initially thinking it wouldn't be for me - boy was I wrong.

Expecting this to review really well from what I've seen of it.

Vex_

Banned
This is one of those games where I don't give a hoot what the review score is. I know I'm getting it already. I know what to expect. I'm not expecting 9/10s.

Pre ordered anyway but this will be cool. I played HR then the original and have played both several times over by now. I trust Eidos to make a worthy sequel and game in the franchise.

Got HR for my birthday (it came out on the day) in 2011 so this being so close in 2016 is nice.

Nice, a sign of confidence.

I'm looking forward to the game quite a lot. I'm not sure how the story and writing will be, and I feel the direction they're taking it is significantly more fantasy'ish and grandiose than the origin of the franchise. I remember the first Deus Ex being a relatively grounded world, especially when it took place 52 years after the game releases. In MD, the story takes place only 16 years from the day of the game's release, and it feels like a really alien world, and Adam much more of a superhero than ever. It's a matter of taste, of course. Personally, I prefer simpler things with my sci-fi, but others of course can prefer this.

That being said, I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy it gameplay-wise. Even things that seem odd to me from a story perspective, such as Corvo's Blink ability, should be really fun to play around with. I really enjoyed the multiple paths and options in HR, the amount of active abilities to take when leveling up (instead of just a bunch of +5% to this or that), and just the general mechanics. I hope that after Dishonored they took it one step forward in how creative you can be.

The two main things I hope they improved in gameplay are about combat. The first is the rewards for going in loud. HR encouraged with its XP the quiet approach extremely more than it did going for the action. I'd like for the action-approach to allow the same amount of rewards, albeit for different accomplishments. Secondly, I hope the gunplay itself is also improved, because in HR going in loud at the first levels was brutal, and not too viable until the later part of the game.

It'll be interesting to see how this and Dishonored 2 compare. Two of my most anticipated games of the year.

For those looking at the PC version. GMG emailed me that (signed in) it has the game at 25% off so $44.99 for regular version and $67.49 for the deluxe version with season pass

jesu

The start of a great few months of new games for me, can't wait!

Was hoping to finish Halo 2 before it came out but the Olympics have through a spanner in that idea.

my body was ready when it was announced. And it's now hungry for it.

Bring. It. On.

Can't wait man. Two atmospheric games in one month (NMS being the other) Cracking August!

Nice, a sign of confidence.

I'm looking forward to the game quite a lot. I'm not sure how the story and writing will be, and I feel the direction they're taking it is significantly more fantasy'ish and grandiose than the origin of the franchise. I remember the first Deus Ex being a relatively grounded world, especially when it took place 52 years after the game releases. In MD, the story takes place only 16 years from the day of the game's release, and it feels like a really alien world, and Adam much more of a superhero than ever. It's a matter of taste, of course. Personally, I prefer simpler things with my sci-fi, but others of course can prefer this.

That being said, I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy it gameplay-wise. Even things that seem odd to me from a story perspective, such as Corvo's Blink ability, should be really fun to play around with. I really enjoyed the multiple paths and options in HR, the amount of active abilities to take when leveling up (instead of just a bunch of +5% to this or that), and just the general mechanics. I hope that after Dishonored they took it one step forward in how creative you can be.

The two main things I hope they improved in gameplay are about combat. The first is the rewards for going in loud. HR encouraged with its XP the quiet approach extremely more than it did going for the action. I'd like for the action-approach to allow the same amount of rewards, albeit for different accomplishments. Secondly, I hope the gunplay itself is also improved, because in HR going in loud at the first levels was brutal, and not too viable until the later part of the game.

It'll be interesting to see how this and Dishonored 2 compare. Two of my most anticipated games of the year.
Yeah, definitely agreed that the XP rewards need to be rebalanced more - HR pushed you really hard toward stealth/nonlethal (but then punished you for it in the boss fights).

This looks really interesting but I don't have time to go back and play the previous one.

Any YouTube vids that would help me catch up?

Whompa02

The PS4 version does look pretty damn solid from what I've seen of it. They are using a modified version of Hitman's Glacier engine, which runs and looks pretty damn good on consoles.

Cheers! I'll grab the ps4 version and then double dip later on

Deadbeat

Banned
Can we unban Derrick01 for the launch?
I dunno I kind of like there being no counter voice to unhinged hype. Look at the disaster that is No Man's Sky threads. Its glorious. having more people like Derrick to keep that in check, that would ruin the fun.

I miss him, but I like chaos more.

Vibranium

Banned
Definitely expect it to review really well but share the same flaws as its predecessor (moments of limited choice, schlocky hamfisted writing, obvious routes in level design rather than organic and convincing locations).

Don't get me wrong though I played like 100 hours of Human Revolution before I got tired of it so I'm still in for this either way.

The original Deus Ex has its moments of shlock if you've played it (the hilarious foreign accents are legendary and JC drops one-liners everywhere). I think it's part of the franchise's charm to have some silly moments. Though the Morpheus conversation in the first game will never be topped in terms of how smart it was.

I do hope that the paths are less obvious and pointed out. I wish we could use underwater methods.

SugarDave

Collector's Edition Unboxing

I don't mind that Amazon cancelled my pre-order for it now. It all looks nice but considering the price, I feel like the season pass should have been included as well. There's also a full hardback art book being released alongside the game that I assume will be more in-depth than the one included here.

The music in the background is glorious though! Looking forward to the soundtrack just as much as the game.

Simo

Collector's Edition Unboxing

I don't mind that Amazon cancelled my pre-order for it now. It all looks nice but considering the price, I feel like the season pass should have been included as well. There's also a full hardback art book being released alongside the game that I assume will be more in-depth than the one included here.

The music in the background is glorious though! Looking forward to the soundtrack just as much as the game.

Yeah I cancelled my CE too because the extra cost is pretty much for the statue when for the deluxe edition that's $50-60 cheaper, you're getting all that digital content AND the season pass which the CE doesn't even have. Ditto on the art book too.

jorgejjvr

Yeah I cancelled my CE too because the extra cost is pretty much for the statue when for the deluxe edition that's $50-60 cheaper, you're getting all that digital content AND the season pass which the CE doesn't even have. Ditto on the art book too.

Is the deluxe only digital? Thats is what I find in amazon

I currently have the collector edition pre ordered

Would have been great if there were an in between edition with the steelbook sins paying 70 euros more for it is not a thing I wish to do and how come the season pass isn't included in any edition except for the digital deluxe one?

Angel_DvA

love the confidence they have in their game, almost every games I've played this year were disappointed, hope this one will be my GOTY.

Piku_Ringo

Banned
CE Unboxing video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkDnK6x4rNc

undertaker_holy_urn_4_by_madnessabe-d8peb3q.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom