• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided review embargo lifts on 8/19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sulik2

I am so excited for this, Deus Ex is one of my all time favorite series.

For those looking at the PC version. GMG emailed me that (signed in) it has the game at 25% off so $44.99 for regular version and $67.49 for the deluxe version with season pass

Where are you seeing this deal?

NM Figured it out, wasn't signed in. Thanks for the heads us!

I dunno I kind of like there being no counter voice to unhinged hype. Look at the disaster that is No Man's Sky threads. Its glorious. having more people like Derrick to keep that in check, that would ruin the fun.

I miss him, but I like chaos more.

Look at this guy acting like Derrick01 was anything more than argumentative shitposter. Anything anyone else liked he hated and then he would go and champion shit like Knack. He was not a voice of reason.

I sort of forgot about this game, what with all the madness around No Man's Sky over the past month or so...just realized how soon this is coming out. Can't wait, HR is one of my all time favorites (along with the original, of course).

I remember how disappointed I was when they announced The Fall, since I was sure leading up to it that we'd be seeing the HR successor. Feels like that just barely happened, even though it's been years and the HR sequel is finally almost here.

Drewfonse

So excited.

I'm itching for a good cyberpunk RPG FPS deal right now. Feel like the team is gonna nail it.

Me too. All of the videos have looked at least good, mostly great. It just seems like it will be an engrossing, smart game. Not enough of those around for my tastes.

Human Revolution looked Meh but when I actually played it i was hooked! I'll be more than thrilled if it's more of the same, but from what I can see it looks like everything is more polished.

Simo

Awww man what the fuck. Why can't I be this lucky...y'all won't need to wait next week for reviews, game is already out. lol It has a day zero patch update too it seems.

Metacritic 6.5/10 incoming.

More like 10/10 AUGMENTED BIKES

latest

GET HYPE GAF

adam-jensen-dance-o.gif

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I never played previous Deus Ex games. Wonder if I'd miss a lot of reference queues to previous games. Are they usually treated as separate entries?

Mifec

I never played previous Deus Ex games. Wonder if I'd miss a lot of reference queues to previous games. Are they usually treated as separate entries?

This is a sequel to Human Revolution. Both are prequels to the original Deus Ex. You'd miss references for sure.

Darklor01

This is a sequel to Human Revolution. Both are prequels to the original Deus Ex. You'd miss references for sure.

Will YouTube vids of cut scenes help oris it really recommended to just buy the previous games and try to fit in playing time for them?

DX:HR was a prequel to the original Deus Ex games, so there were minimal easter eggs that weren't major to understand anything. Since DX:MD is a direct sequel to DX:HR, you might not know what events or people characters talk about, so at the least I would recommend playing Human Revolution before this. Though the whole series is pretty great.

Mifec

Will YouTube vids of cut scenes help oris it really recommended to just buy the previous games and try to fit in playing time for them?

I'd recommend playing Human Revolution at least. You get to know the main character and how he became augmented. There is also a lot of side material and emails you can read in the game that shapes the world for you.

If you can't be arsed I'm sure there are at least some good videos on yt.

Simo

I had never played the OG Deus Ex when I played Human Revolution and I was fine. There's a a character you meet and who also crops up after the end credits to kind of talk and set up what seems like events leading up the original game but thats it.

Mankind Divided though is obviously a sequel to Human Revolution so characters and likely plot threads from that game show up in the new one. lol

EDIT: What they all said. lol

Deadbeat

Banned
Look at this guy acting like Derrick01 was anything more than argumentative shitposter. Anything anyone else liked he hated and then he would go and champion shit like Knack. He was not a voice of reason.
Never said he was the voice of reason. He was merely a counterweight.

I'm predicting an 86 metacritic average for what it's worth (which is obviously nothing because 99% of games critics are worthless, but it will be interesting to see nonetheless).

Simo

Huh. That's interesting...the "Jensen's Stories" option from the menu is a side story or series of side stories you can play but the game warns you not to do them until you beat the main game due to spoilers.

I haven't seen or heard about that option mentioned anywhere in the press or previews.

KorrZ

Really been looking forward to this. Playing the original through again to get into that Deus Ex spirit and it continually reminds me of how far ahead that game still is in some ways.

Drewfonse

Darklor01

I think that I read somewhere that this will have a 15 minute "previously on Deus Ex" video at the main menu, for both the uninitiated and those with shitty memories like me.

Oh, that's cool! Still, consensus seems it'd be better to at least play HR, so I probably should heed that advice.

Darklor01

Absolutely play it, it's a great game. I can barely remember the specifics though

As I get older and my brain is pretty mush with memory, I have that a lot with tons of movies and games in general. I'm sure it will be an advantage to run play from one straight into the other, especially for someone with memory issues. Good that they're not making me feel like I NEED to have played previous entries. You all seem to LOVE this series.

Really been looking forward to this. Playing the original through again to get into that Deus Ex spirit and it continually reminds me of how far ahead that game still is in some ways.

The original Deus Ex's approach to choice is still more nuanced, elegant and genuinely involved than any game I've played before or since, including its prequel. The
Lebedev scene
is one of my favourite video game moments ever for precisely this reason.

Drewfonse

As I get older and my brain is pretty mush with memory, I have that a lot with tons of movies and games in general. I'm sure it will be an advantage to run play from one straight into the other, especially for someone with memory issues. Good that they're not making me feel like I NEED to have played previous entries. You all seem to LOVE this series.

Smartest series around, for my money.

Grisby

Personally the story things that stood out to me about HR were (massive spoilers):
-Malik death/save choice.
-Megan being alive and well in that white room.
-The news lady being an AI.
-The crappy endings.
-Big riots and something going on with peoples augs.

Oh, and the one thing that stood out to me the most? Was finding (ssssspoiler)
Malik's dead body in a later mission when you're going to see Tong. They were gonna savage her for parts.

Personally the story things that stood out to me about HR were (massive spoilers):
-Malik death/save choice.
-Megan being alive and well in that white room.
-The news lady being an AI.
-The crappy endings.
-Big riots and something going on with peoples augs.

Oh, and the one thing that stood out to me the most? Was finding (ssssspoiler)
Malik's dead body in a later mission when you're going to see Tong. They were gonna savage her for parts.

Many of those are tropes borrowed from earlier Deus Ex games (Deus Ex and Invisible War spoilers):

- substitute Malik for Jock (also a pilot of course) or Paul in the case of finding the dead body later
- The multiple endings (obviously)
- I seem to remember the newsreader being an AI thing was done in Invisible War as well, but it's so long since I've played it I'm not 100% sure

Grisby

Many of those are tropes borrowed from earlier Deus Ex games (Deus Ex and Invisible War spoilers):

- substitute Malik for Jock (also a pilot of course) or Paul in the case of finding the dead body later
- The multiple endings (obviously)
- I seem to remember the newsreader being an AI thing was done in Invisible War as well, but it's so long since I've played it I'm not 100% sure
Yeah, I imagine they are. I haven't played the original in a long, long, long time. Pretty sure the
AI deal
was in Invisible War as well. That was, uh, a game alright.

Simo

It took me 5 years to finish Human Revolution so you can imagine my surprise at
Megan being alive..WTF?! and Eliza being an AI...Double WTF?! It kind of pissed me off though how Adam let Megan off that easy and you never really got a satisfying outcome when you've just scoured the globe trying to uncover the truth about her "death" and kidnapping only to let her piss off with barely a word spoken. lol

I hope I get more answers and a meeting in Mankind Divided...

Vibranium

Banned
Well, the Eidos Montreal games haven't done genetic animals yet, so that's something they've steered away from. I kind of want to see prototype Greasels in current technology. Dunno how people who haven't played the original would react to that though lol. Or Grays.

ktroopa

This seems to run 30 fps on PS4 and ive read 60fps on PC. I really cant decide on which version to get. I have a good PC with a GTX1080 so i guess i should go PC, but the PS4 version looks pretty sharp too. arrgghh..is 60 fps really that important for this game? its mostly stealth based..

This seems to run 30 fps on PS4 and ive read 60fps on PC. I really cant decide on which version to get. I have a good PC with a GTX1080 so i guess i should go PC, but the PS4 version looks pretty sharp too. arrgghh..is 60 fps really that important for this game? its mostly stealth based..

You can go way more sharper with a gtx 1080.

chozen

Love the confidence in the product.

I don't doubt they made a good game, heard some early impressions already saying how they have improved over DX:HR.

Excite.

Simo

LondonGAF, it looks like a store is selling it now perhaps? Seems weird to have the actual sealed copies out on the shelf and on display...
14031706_1394338867247703_1554088199_n.jpg

...I think I narrowed down the location too for those interested..

This is from the user part of a DXMD PS4 community I'm in that has the game I was talking about last night.
RNNmgfa.jpg

He didn't download the day 1 patch though so I'm not sure how big that is or what the patch notes are.

Simo

Found the store LondonGAF. I even managed to find the address lol

Mentions that it's "In stock" but to "preorder", however being a independent store and so few copies that may be lingo for they might be selling them...at least it looked like for when they had and sold NMS. lol

Drop me a PM for the store name and address.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom