• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided review embargo lifts on 8/19

Status
Not open for further replies.

nOoblet16

Sorry I'm lost, how do some people have this on ps4 already? Leaked early or in Europe or something?

Plenty of online stores ship the copy early so that it gets delivered by release day, some ship it a lot earlier than others under the pretense that there can be unforseen delays...and even earlier if the release date is on a Monday/Tuesday.

But in reality they just want to ship early so that they get more customers.

Can't freaking wait for this game. Kinda glad they delayed it to August cause otherwise this month would have been pretty barren (at least for my gaming tastes).

Yoshi88

Might be of interest for some

IOzWlrC.jpg

Got a 1.02 patch, too. 3,8 GB, uff.

nOoblet16

I have the PC version pre ordered on Steam but I can't wait..lol
Hype level is through the roof since I just finished another run of Human Revolution.

Perhaps I will double dip for an early PS4 copy lol

nOoblet16

MSAA? I thought that wasn't used anymore because temporal solutions are more efficient.

That's debatable.
Temporal solutions clean up jaggies better but they cause artifacts.

4*MSAA while not as jaggie free as a good TAA solution, does provides you with a crisp image and works on thin geometry, it's effectively localised supersampling.
Provided I have the hardware I'd always prefer MSAA + a lightly applied TAA.

S1kkZ

some impressions from the ps4 version (first 90 minutes), no spoilers, mostly tech stuff.

- during the tutorial mission, framerate is solid. no stutter or dips like in human revolution.
- during the real opening (the station in prague), the game has massive framerate and tearing issues. the scene is not really interactive (you can look around), but it is noticable.
- the sharpening filter is a bit over the top. a shame that there are no options to tweak ca/sharpening.
- i finished hr 3 times but i still feel overwhelmed with the story elements.
- facial animations look really janky. jensen looks almost like his cg model in the human revolution trailers, but moves like a ps2 character.
- most cutscenes are pre-rendered videos with ingame assets/models. sadly, they are compressed like a bad youtube video and as a result, look really blurry and muddy.
- overall, game looks pretty good.
- the first hub also seems to run well, some minor dips. still a huge improvement over hr on console.

nOoblet16

They mentioned that in Human revolution they couldn't do real time cutscenes, nor could they do properly animated non cutscene conversations or conversations that wasn't limited to one on one....because of their crap engine.

Considering Mankind Divided is using the Hitman engine, I'm not surprised because neither of the two new Hitman games have real time cutscenes, nor do they have non cutscene conversations where models have extensive animations.
So it seems to be the case that this engine has some animation/rigging limitations as well.

SJRB

Gold Member
some impressions from the ps4 version (first 90 minutes), no spoilers, mostly tech stuff.

- during the real opening (the station in prague), the game has massive framerate and tearing issues. the scene is not really interactive (you can look around), but it is noticable.
- the sharpening filter is a bit over the top. a shame that there are no options to tweak ca/sharpening.
- facial animations look really janky. jensen looks almost like his cg model in the human revolution trailers, but moves like a ps2 character.
- most cutscenes are pre-rendered videos with ingame assets/models. sadly, they are compressed like a bad youtube video and as a result, look really blurry and muddy.

No.

No god please no.

NOOOOOO

- during the tutorial mission, framerate is solid. no stutter or dips like in human revolution.
- the first hub also seems to run well, some minor dips. still a huge improvement over hr on console.

Model movement seems like it'll be on the eyes of the player because I can't really trust comments like those until I see it myself.

As to the framerate/tearing issues I'll wait for reviews to see whether the PS4 version is worth it or if I should go with PC. I tend to go with ps4 if the game runs decent but I don't want to deal with constant tearing issues.

Oh snap. I just realised, that if it has MSAA support we might also be able to use MFAA depending upon the driver update. That would be fantastic.

I mean the noninteractive walking scene in human revolution had the same problems too didn't it? Guess I can't be horribly surprised glad the rest of the game runs pretty good though

Don't really care about the graphics/performance.

What I want to know is how is the writing and side quests? Interesting? Is the game super dense with stuff to do?

Simo

So the game runs solid over-all except for the occasional scene? I mean I expect occasional dips, that's fine, I can deal with those.

Someone on reddit with the Xbox version said the same thing that there's some tearing during the non-interactive scenes like the train station cutscene but thats it. The rest of the game holds up fine from what they've played.

Drewfonse

so you just ignored the fact that the game runs solid aside from the one, non interactive scene?

In his defense, your impressions do seem to dwell on the game's shortcomings, which is obviously valid.

I think people, myself included, are just hoping for nothing but OMFG!!! impressions, which is a little unrealistic. At this point, anything but players going bonkers will be seen as a disappointment.

Now then, more OMFG!! impressions, please.

Simo

For anyone interested there's a handful of screenshots from the PS4 version some have posted via the Live from Playstation. I just grabbed some of the title menu stuff since there was only 1 in-game shot someone uploaded and it was just the Dubai skyline that they were lamenting about since...they got the early copy from Dubai...lol

Grief.exe

They mentioned that in Human revolution they couldn't do real time cutscenes, nor could they do properly animated non cutscene conversations or conversations that wasn't limited to one on one....because of their crap engine.

Considering Mankind Divided is using the Hitman engine, I'm not surprised because neither of the two new Hitman games have real time cutscenes, nor do they have non cutscene conversations where models have extensive animations.
So it seems to be the case that this engine has some animation/rigging limitations as well.

That's not necessarily a negative, my biggest issue with pre rendered cut scenes is watching them on a higher resolution display. So running a game at 4K, then getting dumped into a 1080p scene is very jarring.

For anyone interested there's a handful of screenshots from the PS4 version some have posted via the Live from Playstation. I just grabbed some of the title menu stuff since there was only 1 in-game shot someone uploaded and it was just the Dubai skyline that they were lamenting about since...they got the early copy from Dubai...lol

yes seeing menu screenshots is what I live for LMAO

Belakor

Banned
Reviews one week earlier,this can only be a good sign

Correct me if I'm wrong,but they also had an early review embargo when Human Revolution came out,isn't that right?

Anyways,5 years from the previous entry in the franchise,I think they took their sweet time developing the sequel.They had a really great timeline to develop something great,so I'm sure they will deliver ;)

ktroopa

Previews did strike me how sharp the PS4 version looked on par with pc, but seems they overdid it. Il stick with PC version

0racle

I have never played a dues ex game but I'm getting big time metro 2033 vibes. I disposed that game and it made my physically sick. The hype from you guys is drawing me in though. I can't decide if it's for me or not.

Is it a really drawn out, complicated strategic FPS with clanky mechanics and the need to craft/manage inventory and upgrades?

What games would you compare this to?

munroe

So there's massive framerate and tearing issues, janky animations, compressed bad-like youtube videos yet game looks pretty good....

Simo

I have never played a dues ex game but I'm getting big time metro 2033 vibes. I disposed that game and it made my physically sick. The hype from you guys is drawing me in though. I can't decide if it's for me or not.

Is it a really drawn out, complicated strategic FPS with clanky mechanics and the need to craft/manage inventory and upgrades?

Deus Ex and Deus Ex: Human Revolution.
CiMuqJc.gif

It's a first person RPG. It has shooting mechanics, but it isn't really a FPS.

There is inventory management and upgrades, conversations with npcs, etc.

Chase17

Enjoyed HR when I played it last summer. Have never played the first two.

Really looking forward to this game next week. Hoping I can remember the important aspects of the story that carry over. Curious how it will continue after I
picked to blow up the place
at the end of the last game.

nOoblet16

It's a first person RPG. It has shooting mechanics, but it isn't really a FPS.

There is inventory management and upgrades, conversations with npcs, etc.
Can you make the inventory management automatic like in Directors cut of HR? I don't know if the bon DC version had that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom