• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Develop Rumor: New Xbox console on desks at EA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pooya

"This story is a total fabrication – 100 percent not true," commented EA corporate spokesman Jeff Brown.

http://www.develop-online.net/news/37618/Develop-source-New-Xbox-console-on-desks-at-EA

Rob Crossley said:
Develop source: New Xbox console on desks at EA

New system could steal Wii 2’s thunder with shock E3 reveal

The successor to the Xbox 360 console is on desks at an unnamed Electronic Arts studio, Develop understands.

The new hardware, sent to EA last month, is a very early build with no casing – it is in fact being stored inside a PC shell.

EA developers are getting to grips with the tech to create first-generation software, Develop has been told.

“Quite often when new consoles come around they’re packaged into a PC shell, but actually what’s inside is an entirely new console,” a senior, trusted, well-placed said.

Microsoft has declined to comment. EA has declined to comment. Develop’s source is not employed at either company.
Article continues below

The source believed, but did not have certain information, that the new Xbox would launch by the end of 2012. The individual expects an announcement will be made, at least in some form, at E3.

SHOW TIME

In March, new data revealed Microsoft was at the early stages in building the successor to the Xbox 360.

The platform owner had advertised new job vacancies such as Graphics Hardware Architect and Performance Engineer for the Xbox Console Architecture Group.

Microsoft’s new hires will be “responsible for defining and delivering next generation console architectures from conception through implementation,” the company said.

The language of the job vacancies suggested a reveal for the console is years away, but Develop’s source says a shock reveal could be weeks away.

“Why let Nintendo steal the thunder in June [At E3]? It doesn’t want to lose momentum. That’s why I think Microsoft is rushing to make an announcement at E3.”

It leads to suspicion that key next-gen projects are underway at Microsoft’s own internal studios. Some project names Develop has seen would suggest a change of guard.

NEXT GENERATION

Specifications for the device are not available, for now. Develop understands that the hardware will feature enhanced support for Kinect with just a couple of alterations.

[...]

“Kinect will keep the 360 going for a couple of years, but Microsoft knows that if it slows down now it will face trouble,” the source added.

Eurogamer

Robert Purchese said:
Eurogamer understands that an E3 2011 reveal for Microsoft's next Xbox is highly unlikely.

Our respected source poured water on Develop's report that some kind of announcement will happen next month at E3.

Develop's report also mentions that EA already has development kits for the new console. To a untrained eye, these apparently look like PCs. But inside are apparently the components of Microsoft's next Xbox.

Prototype dev kits typically are PCs inside a PC box: the first Xbox 360 developer tools were based on dual core G5 PowerPC Macs with an ATI X800 GPU while the initial PS3 dev kits were based around a PC with two GeForce 6800 Ultras running in SLI.

The Develop source believes the new Xbox could launch as soon as the end of 2012.

No technical specifications for the new console were given.

EA and Microsoft both declined comment.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Interesting. If Microsoft do announce the successor to the X360 in such a throwaway fashion, it wouldn't be all too different to Sony's announcement of the PS3 back in 2005.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
I love this pre-new generation of consoles era. So much speculations, lies and leaks :)
Edit: Imagine Assassin's Creed 3 being a launch title. That would be awesome :p

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Pretty poorly written.

We know Sony probably isn't ready with anything more than a "We're working on continuing the Playstation brand" blanket statement considering they decided to leapfrog Nintendo's E3 conference. You don't want to be left on the tracks when that hype train is a coming.

MS is most certainly working on something. What they decide to show though is another matter.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I can believe the bit about tech being on desks is true.

The rest - the release date and E3 bit - seems purely speculative however.

Cday said:
Gotta get those madden ports ready for the next generation.
madden2006openaq9x.jpg

Believe!

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I bet this is the console using ATI Fusion.

Microsoft and Nintendo are setting the terms for next-gen. No matter how powerful PS4 is, barely any games will look significantly better than 720 and Cafe software.

donny2112

Wonder if this is a Slim-redux (i.e. form factor/internal changes, but the same system), a DSi-type (minor improvements, but what would be the point), or a real next-gen system. If real next-gen, it'll be interesting to see. I'd imagine that it'd be more powerful than Wii 2, just because Microsoft wouldn't want to be seen as less powerful than the successor to the Wii. Same price, Nintendo games vs. Microsoft games (third-party would be multi-plat except for HUGE moneyhats). It'd be Xbox vs. GameCube without PS2 in the picture. :lol

SPEA

MY BODY IS READY!!

As Blim said, I fucking love this time of the hardware cycle. So many rumors and skuttlebutt!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
donny2112 said:
Wonder if this is a Slim-redux (i.e. form factor/internal changes, but the same system), a DSi-type (minor improvements, but what would be the point), or a real next-gen system. If so, it'll be interesting to see. I'd imagine that it'd be more powerful than Wii 2, just because Microsoft wouldn't want to be seen as less powerful than the successor to the Wii. Same price, Nintendo games vs. Microsoft games (third-party would be multi-plat except for HUGE moneyhats). It'd be Xbox vs. GameCube without PS2 in the picture. :lol

If Sony once again stumble out the gate last with the most expensive console, there isn't a procedure in the world that could remove the palm from my forehead.

szaromir

Banned
Blimblim said:
I love this pre-new generation of consoles era. So much speculations, lies and leaks :)
Edit: Imagine Halo 4 being a launch title. That would be awesome :p
Fixed. And absolutely.

Sydle

Exciting. I'd prefer 2013, but I'll be there day one if it arrives in 2012.

And I hope I can use the Kinect I have now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom