• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Developer: PS4 Neo exists because PVR was going to be awful on reg PS4s[debunked]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matush

An anonymous industry insider has stated that the PlayStation 4 Neo – Sony's widely-known but not-yet officially announced PS4 hardware revision – exists because the company's PlayStation VR (PSVR) headset "was going to be terrible" on launch PS4s.

The comments were made by chief technical officer (CTO) working in the industry, talking to Edge Magazine in their latest issue. In issue 294, the source states: "PSVR was going to be terrible on a [launch] PS4. It was going to be truly awful. Something a bit more powerful starts to bring VR into range. If you want to deal with crazy requirements for performance in VR, you absolutely have to do this."

From the same article:
It's not clear whether the source's use of "was" is referring to the older console now that PlayStation Neo is a reality, or refers to problems Sony has had getting PSVR to work on the consoles they first launched in 2013. The source may also be referring to the state of PSVR on consoles before the introduction of the external processing unit that will come packaged with the headset when it launches in October.

To date, those that have used a PSVR headset have reported good performances on what appeared to be launch PS4s.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/ps4-neo-ex...-awful-launch-consoles-says-developer-1562122

UPDATE:
PSVR is fine on the regular PS4. Obviously things look better on Neo, but considering the performance requirements, the actual experience is largely the same.

LeleSocho

Banned
water is also wet
Edit: i mean of course it's because of that and because it falls into the upgradable console strategy they had.

Was? Or is?

It's not clear whether the source's use of "was" is referring to the older console now that PlayStation Neo is a reality, or refers to problems Sony has had getting PSVR to work on the consoles they first launched in 2013. The source may also be referring to the state of PSVR on consoles before the introduction of the external processing unit that will come packaged with the headset when it launches in October.

To date, those that have used a PSVR headset have reported good performances on what appeared to be launch PS4s.
Interesting.

I have a PS4 already so I'm not going to be touching PS VR - I'm not going to be buying another PS4. I'll be waiting for a Vive 2 or a price drop for Vive.

Hanmik

from the same article:

t's not clear whether the source's use of "was" is referring to the older console now that PlayStation Neo is a reality, or refers to problems Sony has had getting PSVR to work on the consoles they first launched in 2013. The source may also be referring to the state of PSVR on consoles before the introduction of the external processing unit that will come packaged with the headset when it launches in October.

Feel we already knew that to be frank. It was made for vr and that always seemed pretty understandable to me. That's why the idea of the upgrades are ps4 games running in higher frames.

Will probably have more vr titles compatible on Neo only.

Wait...but it's been working (and will work) on launch consoles.

I have no doubt it'll be better on he 4k but there's no way I buy the idea that the 4k exists primarily because of VR

Hope this guy knows what he's talking about or he's probably just unfairly cancelled thousands of pre-orders for no reason.

Glasshole

Banned
I doubt you'll be able to run PSVR on a normal PS4 - forget the computing unit (the black box).

I think PSVR will be PS4 Neo exclusive. Which would actually be a bad move.

komaruR

Im not surprise that sony would even put out a better spec ps4k than the rumored one. Rember the 4 to 8gb rams surprise?

Surely they can't make it compatible with the PS4 is this is the case.

*buys PSVR for PS4*

"Boy, this is rough!"

*Sony announces more powerful PS4K*

"Boy, guess I'd better get that unit to justify the $399 I laid out for the VR"

...is what Sony hopes and prays will happen.

Wait...

So PSVR is going to be a really shitty experience on OG PS4 so they announce it, develop it, keep showing it off, announce a date and a price and then release an upgraded PS4 and say lol youll need to buy this as well.

Fuck off Sony.

TitusTroy

they should make the Neo a VR only console...that'll make those who purchased a standard PS4 not feel like they're getting the short end of the stick so soon after the original PS4 launched

bombshell

Wait...

So PSVR is going to be a really shitty experience on OG PS4 so they announce it, develop it, keep showing it off, announce a date and a price and then release an upgraded PS4 and say lol youll need to buy this as well.

Fuck off Sony.

You might want to read this quote posted by Hanmik.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I'm not sure how much direct experience with Sony's VR plans this person has... it sounds like he thinks PSVR isn't going to be supported on the original PS4, and so is creating a narrative around the 'why' of PS4K based on that.

Which we know - or per rumours anyway - is not the case. For this gen of VR, PS4 support is required. So PS4K doesn't solve anything about 'performance requirements' for devs as he seems to be suggesting.

Wait...but it's been working (and will work) on launch consoles.

I have no doubt it'll be better on he 4k but there's no way I buy the idea that the 4k exists primarily because of VR
Why not, when you see games can't be in vr as they are then you need more power to get them there.

Makes sense to me.

For example if you want to play battlefront in vr you can on Neo as the game looks on ps4 now but maybe not ps4 version because it needs too much work to run. While Neo just runs it and needs some adjustments for viewing and movement

Auctopus

So, they've solded millions(?) of headsets to people knowing they will have to upgrade to the new console or have a terrible time?

Wait...

Fuck off anonymous industry insider.

Really can't see this being the issue when they've shown it working at shows on the floor with people playing and saying it's working well.

From all the reports we have seen PSVR seem to work okay on the old systems .
Of course it will be much better on NEO but time will tell if how it works on the old PS4 is good enough for some people .

Floody

I'd imagine it'd be hard on the devs, isn't a solid 60 a requirement for PSVR games? So maybe by saying "truly awful" he means from a development perspective.

The PS4.5 is probably a must for those who really wanna get into PSVR though.

SxP

Guess this one anonymous insider with no evidence proves that all positive press impressions were just part of a massive conspiracy by Sony. I always knew it!

This is complete rubbish, there has been plenty PSVR demos on Ps4 and all have beeb favourable in regards to performance because Sony ensures it runs at a minimum of 60 fps solid with any dips.

sure if you want higher graphical games with more bells and whistles you need grunt under the hood but to say it's truly awful is truly made up

Why not, when you see games can't be in vr as they are then you need more power to get them there.

Makes sense to me.

VR is already a niche market at this time. They need it to work on the original systems at least moderately well for it to have any level of real success at all--at least for any time in the near future.

The amount of people who are going to throw down close to $1,000 for the 4k AND VR is going to be incredibly small.

alpha69

That sure sounds exaggerated. I find it hard to believe that it's gonne be "truly awful" on OG PS4. Obviously, it's gonna run better on PS4.5 but I can't see Sony screwing up millions of OG owners and give them a "truly awful" experience.

Besides, half of how well the game works is on the Devs, if the Devs do a shit job then you'll get a "truly awful" experience no matter how powerful your PS4 is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom