• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Developers hear me out! Playing in English doesn't mean refusing the Metric system!

Keihart

FFS, The symbology used is just as fucking arbitrary as the base...

my point exactly, arabic and latin script as simbols are so universal already that going against them should be incredible practical to even be worth it.

Using hexadecimal or binary makes every bit of sense when saving memory, it's practical and a very small change in scope.

Using a different base on a day to day basis it is not, because the symbols we use already make easier to adapt to base 10.

Edit: even better than using base 12, would be using a logarithmic scale instead since when are born with that notion if we are going to change symbols and base.

lyrick

my point exactly, arabic and latin script as simbols are so universal already that going against them should be incredible practical to even be worth it.

Using hexadecimal or binary makes every bit of sense when saving memory, it's practical and a very small change in scope.

Using a different base on a day to day basis it is not, because the symbols we use already make easier to adapt to base 10.

The system that the majority of us use today. When the current Civilizations are laid to waste like all the ones before it, the next rising Civ will probably choose another just like they have multiple times in the past.

The only reason people prefer base 10 is because it's the one they're most accustomed to.

It's completely fucking arbitrary, a number is number regardless of how it's represented.

lyrick

I'm fluent in both systems so it's no big deal.

What if they choose to use a fictional one, or one that you're not familiar with?

Would you take it as an affront to your culture?

base 12 is punny compared to a logarithm scale, not even worth the change in simbols, get your numbers straight people!
But what would we use when not measuring Earthquakes and Sound, a Logarithmic scale for air temperature would somehow be even worse than Celsius.

Keihart

base 12 is punny compared to a logarithm scale, not even worth the change in simbols, get your numbers straight people!

Edit: Humans perceive the world in a logarithm scale, is the most intuitive one, for example, that is why 50% sales and talking in percentages or fractions makes more sense. Additive scales are just imposed to us as we grow.

What if they choose to use a fictional one, or one your not familiar with?

Would you take it as an affront to your culture?

No developer is going to intend you to learn a fictional arbitrary measurement system. Metric and Imperial are real measurement systems and have value in different settings. So it's worth it to be fluent in both.

Theonik

You can't eliminate conversions, only reduce the number of them. My life as an electrical engineer would be so much fucking easier if we used the CGS system instead of SI. I'd much rather work with derived units like angstrom and micron for length or electron-volt for energy. Because those units actually matter for me instead of giant metrics like meter or joule.
No but you can simplify them when needed. And working with exponents makes everything easier tbh

Want to use a micron? Just slot *10^-6 in your formulae.

See this is everything I hate about Americans in one post.

Americans actually want to limit options that make other people's lives easier because they dont understand and dont want to understand. It might threaten precious AMERICA.

Talking about Mexico seriously. You realise the world doesn't revolve around what America wants.

As OP states, it hurts nobody to have the ability to toggle metric/imperial when it is already in the game.

And this is why the USA slowly is failing. Everybody else is engineering with superior measurements, where even the temperatures have a 1 to 1 relation to scientific measurements like Kelvin. Where volume, mass, length, heat, etc, all are related to each other in a logical way of measuring, with round numbers.

But nope they'll stick with : 3/16 of a thumb at fourteen pickles weighing in at 1 baby and 20 starving puppies. Also my car has a power output of 15 Bob Doles! WHAT!? I know how much 1 Bob Dole is, fuck the rest of the world for thinking in Kilowatt, this non linear scale of 1 Bob Dole is 1/2 * 14 keychains / 2 to the power 4 watt is just perfectly logical!

(And yes I can do most normal Imperial Conversions by head, doesn't mean I don't find the system utterly retard from an engineering standpoint).

The most asinine, ridiculous, ignorant, condescending, borderline racist, rude and overall stupid posts I have EVER read on this forum, and that says a lot.

I agree with Alex, the imperial system is a bunch of nonsense only two countries in the whole world use for some idiotic conservative "I'm special" reasons, and if developers want to reach a global audience, they should at the least serve their public at the most basic level, and that includes the use of commonly, internationally accepted used measurements.

source.gif

:D

In all honestly though, no I don't mind if devs do what OP suggests.

III-V

TF? All the damn packaging on items sold in the United States must have both systems.

That YOU don't use it doesn't mean a lot of people in this country don't use it. We do.

Especially engineering. Jesus.

Also

http://www.cnn.com/TECH/space/9909/30/mars.metric.02/

$125 million in taxpayer money lost due to retards.

Yes, unfortunately in engineering in the US we are stuck using both systems. So obnoxious looking at mils (mm) specs for small parts, etc, especially when there is significant overlap in nominal dimensions used. I would love to switch to metric full time and never look back.

It's kind of weird being brought up in the UK where we use a mixture of both. For me:

Celsius > Fahrenheit
Stone/Pounds > Kilograms for body weight
Kilograms > Stone/Pounds for any other weight like food, parcels, gym equipment
Miles > Kilometres
Feet > Metres for height
Metres > Feet for room measurements
Centimetres and Inches vary depending on the size of the object

I'm very weird...

jonno394

It's kind of weird being brought up in the UK where we use a mixture of both. For me:

Celsius > Fahrenheit
Stone/Pounds > Kilograms for body weight
Kilograms > Stone/Pounds for any other weight like food, parcels, gym equipment
Miles > Kilometres
Feet > Metres for height
Metres > Feet for room measurements
Centimetres and Inches vary depending on the size of the object

I'm very weird...

Yup we make no sense! Litres of water, pints of milk etc

Top Bottom