• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

Ifrit said:
Yeah I know, I'm trying to finish all DMC4 before THAT game comes along, but I'm going to have to wait a couple of weeks before I get a chance to play it (I'm ordering it online and I'm not from the US), DMD is a blast to play, you think Berial is going to be as easy as the previous difficulties but he is going to own you (it happened to me) and you're going to learn to hate the frosts, assaults and basilisks (which makes it pretty rewarding when you kick their asses), this game really doesn't deserve the hate it gets
I actually found the Assaults easy enough to master, they hit hard and they corner you but they've also got a pretty easily identifiable pattern. It's the ones with the long-range attacks, the Frosts and Basilisks, that get annoying. Also, the giant Scarecrows are as easy to kick around and easy to avoid as usual but holy crap do they ever punish you for not keeping on your toes around them.

Blitzes actually turned out to just be sort of tiresome, they're not too too hard to avoid and the trick becomes SSSing them, but if you just want to beat them they're simple if tedious.

Ifrit

badcrumble said:
I actually found the Assaults easy enough to master, they hit hard and they corner you but they've also got a pretty easily identifiable pattern. It's the ones with the long-range attacks, the Frosts and Basilisks, that get annoying. Also, the giant Scarecrows are as easy to kick around and easy to avoid as usual but holy crap do they ever punish you for not keeping on your toes around them.

Blitzes actually turned out to just be sort of tiresome, they're not too too hard to avoid and the trick becomes SSSing them, but if you just want to beat them they're simple if tedious.

You're right about the assaults, they're are not that hard actually (they are at first but not that different from SoS) even with chimera, as Nero level 3 charge shots and proper dodging own them, I had problems with them as Dante,until I learned how awesome and underrated the lucifer really is. I also didn't mentioned the blitz for exactly the same reason you posted, and It's not that hard to SSS them: as nero, charge shot lv3 until electricity goes out, buster/DT buster his ass 3 times, he'll beome red, 1 or 2 lv3 charged shots and he's dead, and with dante shotgun/lucifer combo anihilates them, you probably already know how to SSS them but I like discussing tactics

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Glad you guys liked it! DMC4 is fucking awesome. Want to play it RIGHT NOW.

Ifrit said:
how awesome and underrated the lucifer really is.
Distortion + Pin-up on Bael = Dead in 15 seconds.

It's one hell of a ride.

LAMBO

I want to get DMC4 but i think i'm going to wait to see if they make a special addition. I was a little annoyed buying DMC3 twice (but i'm glad i did, vergil is the most fun player to use in DMC3).

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
LAMBO said:
I want to get DMC4 but i think i'm going to wait to see if they make a special addition. I was a little annoyed buying DMC3 twice (but i'm glad i did, vergil is the most fun player to use in DMC3).
The "superior" PC version will most definitely be ported to the consoles.

Seiken said:
The "superior" PC version will most definitely be ported to the consoles.

Don't count your chickens too soon. The new mode that adds a whole boatload of extra enemies almost certainly wouldn't run on the consoles at any sort of acceptable framerate. "Turbo" mode sure, but whether or not that alone is worth a rerelease remains to be seen.

Oh, and why is superior in quotation marks? It is the superior version in every conceivable way, so long as you have a half decent rig.

Yoshichan

brain_stew said:
Oh, and why is superior in quotation marks? It is the superior version in every conceivable way, so long as you have a half decent rig.
Calm down my fellow PC fanboy, I didn't mean anything bad :)

Lince

Banned
I'll get the PC version (runs and looks gorgeous on my modest q6600 + generic 8800GT 512), wait for a save with everything unlocked, download it and play the new modes turbo style, specially the bloody palace filled with a million enemies. Backtracking in this iteration is just too annoying to replay the main game again (already did it 3 times to S-rank DH, SoS and DMD modes)

Darkpen

Banned
Seiken said:
Oh yeah! Skip Dante though.
QFT? Oh wait, too late. Damn you, Hideyuki Kobayashi :mad:

C- Warrior said:
DMC4 is not like DMC3.

The threat of dying is extremely small especially on human mode. Furthermore, there is a checkpoint before each boss fight.

As for mid mission saving simply because you want to continue a mission the next day or something -- the missions shouldn't take more than 30 minutes?
Gold mode on DMC3:SE says hi.
old post, I know, but I couldn't help but respond :(

MMaRsu

Banned
I'm thinking about getting this game having just finished NG2 twice, I know this isn't a DMC <> NG comparison thread or anything, but I really think I'll like this. I played DMC3 but couldn't get past a certain boss.

So is this game really good? Is it worth playing even after having played NG2 ( which is probably superior but ok )

Zzoram

MMaRsu said:
I'm thinking about getting this game having just finished NG2 twice, I know this isn't a DMC <> NG comparison thread or anything, but I really think I'll like this. I played DMC3 but couldn't get past a certain boss.

So is this game really good? Is it worth playing even after having played NG2 ( which is probably superior but ok )

DMC4 is fun, I'd recommend it (especially if you can get it cheaper now). It's all about offense, whereas NG requires a lot of defensive play. The enemies in DMC4 attack far less often, and if you keep hitting them they never really get a chance to attack.

Narag

MMaRsu said:

Its well worth it. Both NG2 and DMC4 have flaws where whatever one does well, the other has issues with. Its mad fun but there's quite a bit of backtracking and repeated boss fights but I'll go ahead and say the Dante2 and Credo fights smoke any bossfight in NG2.

And jesus, nearly 10% of all of my gaf posts have been in this thread alone.

MMaRsu

Banned
Zzoram said:
DMC4 is fun, I'd recommend it (especially if you can get it cheaper now). It's all about offense, whereas NG requires a lot of defensive play. The enemies in DMC4 attack far less often, and if you keep hitting them they never really get a chance to attack.

Not to troll the game cause I liked DMC3 but doesn't that get kinda boring in the long run?

PhatSaqs

Banned
MMaRsu said:

Try the demo (if its still up).

Narag

MMaRsu said:
Not to troll the game cause I liked DMC3 but doesn't that get kinda boring in the long run?
Not so much on the harder difficulties. Its just DMC4 follows the mentality of "The best defense is a good offense." As Phatsaqs said though, try the demo. Its set on normal difficulty so pretty easy but it'll give you an idea about the game.

MMaRsu

Banned
Yeah I already played the demo some time ago, it seemed a little easy to me, but the boss was hard though..

Yoshichan

Dave1988 said:
Fixed it for you.
:lol ... no.

MMaRsu said:
It's really good, yes. No, NG2 is not superior in any way.

Yoshichan

Dave1988 said:
:lol ... yes.
God damn, you're just as innovative as me!

MMaRsu said:

As a fellow NG fan, I'm playing this now after NG2 and it's really good. Enemies obviously aren't as agressive but that's not the kind of game DMC4 is and at the very least it looks and runs much better than NG2.

But from one NG fan to another, the game in this franchise you'd most appreciate is DMC1. Trust me.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I guess I'll throw in my .02 since this thread got brought back. This game took a big step in the wrong direction. The first run on Devil Hunter is so easy that the items feel like cheating. The environments are too large so most of the fights lack the intensity of DMC1 and DMC3.

The boss fights are the highlight, but they feel a little too short and random, so you can usually beat them without figuring out the patterns. It made me feel like I was clumsily blundering through the game because you could absorb much more punishment than DMC1 or 3. So a playthrough on a harder difficulty should solve all those problems. But there is so much backtracking that I feel like I played the game twice already and I'm only 2/3s done.

Overall, I enjoyed it but I'm a little disappointed that it feels like a watered down version of DMC3.

Llyranor

Small bump.

The game's been hold hold for a while, just after I unlocked
Dante
. I've never played DMC1-3, but I have to say, he's a much more enjoyable character than Nero. In comparison, Nero's skillset is pretty limited. I like how flexible he can be, switching styles on the fly, and now even getting new weapons (
Gilgamesh
). I have to say, the game's been getting better and better for me. I'm looking forward to playing on the harder difficulties.

One problem with the 360 version, though. I didn't have this problem for the whole playthrough as Nero (though I haven't touched the game in weeks). Suddenly, now that I'm playing it again, every once in a while, the game freezes on me mid-mission. It happens pretty sporadically, maybe after ~ 15-30 min of play. It's happened to me on Mission 12, 13, 14, 15 multiple times. With perseverance, I've managed to get through them anyway (had to rush them a bit, though). I also restarted a new game, and the game also froze up on me during the 2nd mission, so it doesn't seem to be the savefile.

I don't think it's the 360, either. None of my other games have this problem. I was wondering about overheating, but elevating the powerbrick does nothing. A google search didn't really reveal anything useful. Anyone know what's going on? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Yoshichan

Glad you liked this amazing piece of art, sir. I'll bump this for you, so that someone can help you with your problem.

Mamesj

Banned
Although there is a DMC4 PC thread, I thought people would find it entertaining that 1UP knocked the PC version for not having mouse support. :lol

Yoshichan

Mamesj said:
Although there is a DMC4 PC thread, I thought people would find it entertaining that 1UP knocked the PC version for not having mouse support. :lol
... what? How would a mouse work in DMC4 :/

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Mamesj said:
Now I realize why they rarely bother to release fighting games on the PC. Sheesh.

I want to update my impressions by saying that Bloody Palace is easily the highlight of the game. The only problem is that there are no save points.

aznpxdd

Playing the game on PC right now and I am stuck. I'm on mission 4 right now (still inside the castle) and after I destroy the glowing coffin in the middle of the ground floor...nothing happens. What do I do next?

Mamesj

Banned
SapientWolf said:
Now I realize why they rarely bother to release fighting games on the PC. Sheesh.

yeah, 1UP completely shit on Capcom for releasing the best version of the game (and a highly optimized one at that, which seems to be rarer these days.)

Sectus

aznpxdd said:
Playing the game on PC right now and I am stuck. I'm on mission 4 right now (still inside the castle) and after I destroy the glowing coffin in the middle of the ground floor...nothing happens. What do I do next?
You don't do anything more with the coffin yet. Just head into the corridors on the first floor and try to get 4 of those spinning things together so you can open a door.

Llyranor

The 360 version freezing on me here and there is really getting frustrating. I don't mind repeating levels over and over because they're challenging, but this just happens because the game freezes on me. I'm putting this game on hold until I find a solution. Shame, it was really getting better.

SapientWolf said:
I guess I'll throw in my .02 since this thread got brought back. This game took a big step in the wrong direction. The first run on Devil Hunter is so easy that the items feel like cheating. The environments are too large so most of the fights lack the intensity of DMC1 and DMC3.

The boss fights are the highlight, but they feel a little too short and random, so you can usually beat them without figuring out the patterns. It made me feel like I was clumsily blundering through the game because you could absorb much more punishment than DMC1 or 3. So a playthrough on a harder difficulty should solve all those problems. But there is so much backtracking that I feel like I played the game twice already and I'm only 2/3s done.

Overall, I enjoyed it but I'm a little disappointed that it feels like a watered down version of DMC3.

I agree, maybe just me but I hated all the moves/styles you get with Dante/Nero, maybe Im getting old but there were just too many damn moves.

Vish

Banned
Llyranor said:
The 360 version freezing on me here and there is really getting frustrating. I don't mind repeating levels over and over because they're challenging, but this just happens because the game freezes on me. I'm putting this game on hold until I find a solution. Shame, it was really getting better.

Sounds like a potential RROD sort of thing.

Yoshichan

badcrumble said:
add the ability to cancel from Stinger into Million Stab plz
And become even more broken?

Yoshichan

badcrumble said:
It worked in DMC3 :)
Moves like that made DMC3 too complicated, which is one of the reasons for why I think DMC4 is the better game :)

Ifrit

Llyranor said:

I have the 360 version and I have never experience any freezing or long load times, and I've played it a lot (currently at 70 hours playtime) now I remember that I still need to finish my Heaven or Hell run (saving the easiest for last) in order to get 1000/1000

Btw after playing NG2 a lot and enjoying the hell out of it, I still think DMC4 is awesome

Llyranor

I know, it doesn't seem to be a widespread problem, since google didn't find anything helpful. I had no problems during the first half of the game, either :(

MMaRsu said:

First off, I'm not going to even begin with the whole "which is probably superior but ok" dumbass remark. Because, in many instances -- NG2 is not superior.

DMC4 is significantly more polished, more interesting custscenes, 500x's better boss fights, as always - a more creative - chain based combos system, and actual cutscenes worth action for all the flips, bullets, and one-liners. I would say NG2 has better level design, but for every good level there was one involving water running based boss fights with underwater swim mechanics and birds where you mash B to shoot arrows like a bumbling idiot...

Also, DMC4's camera makes NG2's camera beyond shit. And people use to think DMC4's camera was average.

As for DMC3 being too hard for you, DMC4 is a lot easier.

Also, the boss fights in DMC4 are pretty hard. You can't just roll and flip around and use the scythe like you can in NG2. You're going to actually have to nail the patterns down because the boss fights in DMC4.

Mamesj

Banned
Oldschoolgamer said:
Easily. Left click for melee, right click for guns, and mouse-wheel for whatever.

mmm hmm, yeah, that sounds awesome. Capcom really dropped the ball. I hope they don't leave mouse support out of Street Fighter IV. My faith in the entire company rests on that feature.

Chiggs

C- Warrior said:
DMC4 is significantly more polished, more interesting custscenes, 500x's better boss fights, as always - a more creative - chain based combos system, and actual cutscenes worth action for all the flips, bullets, and one-liners.

Agreed on all counts, save for the better boss fights. I mean, I liked the bosses in DMC4; it's just that I didn't like the fact I had to fight them all 3 or 4 times.

Mamesj

Banned
even though MMarsu asked that question a month ago, I have to say, both DMC4 and NGII failed to live up to their respective hype. NGII was more disappointing to me overall. Neither is shitty, but neither is the crowning achievement in either series.

Chiggs said:
Agreed on all counts, save for the better boss fights. I mean, I liked the bosses in DMC4; it's just that I didn't like the fact I had to fight them all 3 or 4 times.

I'm talking individually.

The bosses in DMC4 were (as Capcom fashion) well designed, clear patterns, visually impressive, fair, yet difficult.

Or are you going to tell me the dual Armadillo boss fight in NG2 was the pinnacle of action gaming :lol :lol :lol

PS: Fighting an amazing boss fight (DMC4) 3 times over again >>>>>> Fighting an absolutely shiity boss (NG2) 2 times over again. IMO. All the human base bosses in NG2 played out the same fucking way. You wait for them to attack, dodge -- dish out some YXYXYXYX bullshit. All the large boss played out the same way too -- deal with the shitty camera, deal with the shitty camera, and then use a combo that connects and maybe ninpo or two.

NG2 has better enemies than DMC4 (I think DMC1 still has the best enemies to date) -- but then you get reminded of the ghost fish and the birds...and uh...not so much.

Yoshichan

Chiggs said:
lol, people complain when they fight them the fourth time. I think I've slain Echidna my 60'th time and I still think it's just as awesome as the first time. Same with Berial and every other boss in DMC4.

Top Bottom