• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

Narag

NG2 bosses were for the most part all style and no subtance. They didn't feel too well designed and Volf could be stun locked so he couldn't fight back. They might be better on Mentor/MN but outside of Genshin, they were all disappointing.

Narag said:
NG2 bosses were for the most part all style and no subtance. They didn't feel too well designed and Volf could be stun locked so he couldn't fight back. They might be better on Mentor/MN but outside of Genshin, they were all disappointing.

I fuckin hated them. Even Genshin was retarded. He was nowhere near as fun as Murai in NG:B.

Anyway, while I think DMC4 needed an adrenaline shot (needs to be harder and faster like DMC3) -- I still think DMC4 was a great game, and maybe there is a reason why DMC4 has a higher gameranking avg. than NG2 (somebody call Dyack). But while I think both games failed to live up to the hype, saying NG2 is superior is fuckin retarded, NG2 dropped the ball on so many instances it's not even funny.

let's just leave the debate with DMC3:SE and NG:B. If we're going to want to know what the best action game is.

Llyranor

As someone who enjoys both NG2 and DMC4, there's definitely room for both.

Overall, I find that the actual combat itself is more satisfying in NG2, but that's just the style of game I go for. As I'm getting more options available with Dante, DMC4 is really starting to open up and become enjoyable. Nero was just too limiting in comparison.

The bosses in DMC4 are much much more enjoyable, though. The highlight of the game, easily. Whereas in NG2, the highlight really comes from slaughtering legions of common enemies.

Both games have some questionable design elements, but it seems people have really blown it out of proportion for both. They're not pleasant, but I'm willing to forgive them for the awesome combat systems. The camera work in both isn't perfect, but no glaring difficulty with either.

The main advantage NG2 has is that it doesn't freeze on me every mission :(

-Rogue5-

I thought DMC4 did a very good job of balancing Nero/Dante playtime and I actually enjoyed the dynamic between the two. The fact that Nero was in it for the girl and Dante was in it because he was Dante, allowed for a both the characters to inhabit the same space without the feeling of being ripped off in anyway... Hard to explain, but for an example of a bad character trade-off you needn't look any further than MGS2 -- I didn't mind Raiden, I just wanted more Snake....

Dave1988

Oh, forgot to mention this...

I'd like to thank CAPCOM for making the system data untransferable. Now I have to start the game all over from scratch.

Fuck you, Crapcom. Fuck you.

fartblast

Banned
I have to say, after saying fuck NG2 because of the gay water boss that glitches to shit I went out and picked up DMC4. one of the best decisions of my console gaming career, DMC4 is definitely the more solid game. mission 18 (the one where you shoot the giant's crystals) was good shit and it's good to see stuff like that being pulled off in realtime. NG2 just wasn't what i thought it would be... environments didn't impress me at all. i gotta say DMC4 has some amazing environments in it, although you backtrack a fuckload. also the bossfights... they can be easy, but they're just way more... fun? must be the superiority of capcom when compared to the likes of team ninja.

Kard8p3

Sorry for the bump after all this time but man this game is amazingly fun. I've been playing it alot recently (still cant master IR) and was blown away by how fun it was compared to what I remember. I don't think it's better than DMC3 but it definitely holds it's own well and I can't wait to see where they take the game from here.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Kard8p3 said:
Sorry for the bump after all this time but man this game is amazingly fun. I've been playing it alot recently (still cant master IR) and was blown away by how fun it was compared to what I remember. I don't think it's better than DMC3 but it definitely holds it's own well and I can't wait to see where they take the game from here.
Glad you're enjoying one incredibly awesome game :) Just recently, a LttP thread got created. If you have any questions, just ask there!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=13306103#post13306103

shpankey

not an idiot
i just picked it up last week, gotta say, I'm loving it. I hated DMC2, found DMC3 too hard and complicated even on easy, but DMC4 on the hard difficulty and manual is perfect. i'm on level 8 i think.

the environments are DEAD SEXY!

DMC1 is still my favorite in the series, but DMC4 is easily the second best in the series for me.

Dahbomb

Mamesj said:
even though MMarsu asked that question a month ago, I have to say, both DMC4 and NGII failed to live up to their respective hype. NGII was more disappointing to me overall. Neither is shitty, but neither is the crowning achievement in either series.
This right here is correct.

I don't want to get down to a comparison of the two because quite honestly it brings a tear to my eye every time I try. Both games should've been much better especially with games like NGB/DMC3SE being close to the pinnacle of the two series.

On a positive note, I will say that DMC4 is the easiest DMC game to get into and if this is your first DMC game then it will definitely be an extremely enjoyable action experience. NG2 is the opposite, it is extremely hardcore and caters to those who love ball breaking, high speed action. In that regard I feel both games succeed but neither game was able to meet the high bar set by the previous games in the series.

RyuHayate

I'm approaching a gameplay time of 100 hours in DMC4 (I mostly play Bloody Palace) and after playing as Dante countless times, I get the feeling there's something off about him (even in DMC3, too). One thing that bothered me in DMC3 and DMC4 was that the Million Heart Stab, while still satisfying to use, wasn't nearly as useful as it was in DMC1.

In the first game, Dante actually moved forward with each hit. The MHS in the sequels (excluding DMC2 because you couldn't even use it) keep Dante in a stationary position, leaving him open to attack and killing a potentially great combo.

One more thing, too: I want Dante to have wings in DT so he can take flight once more and bring death from above. I can understand why it wasn’t necessary for him to have ‘em in DMC4 (it probably would've allowed players to clear a room in less than twenty seconds), but I really miss firing bolts of lightning at foes.

Kard8p3

I've got 60 hours clocked in on this game now and I can definitely say that it's barely behind DMC3 for me as the best. This game is just so addicting and I love playing as both nero and dante. Heres hoping 5 is even better.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Yeah it's sick, I think I'm approaching my 200th hour with DMC4. That's 100 hours more than I played DMC3 :lol
Kard8p3 said:
I've got 60 hours clocked in on this game now and I can definitely say that it's barely behind DMC3 for me as the best. This game is just so addicting and I love playing as both nero and dante. Heres hoping 5 is even better.
I really hope Bayonetta does something new to the action genre while DMC5 goes "more of the same". It looks ridiculous and it has the potential.

I got this game on the PS3 and I want to get it again on the 360 since Capcom never bothered to patch for trophies. Is there alot of difference in the PS3 and xbox version ?

jett

D-Member
Unregistered007 said:
I got this game on the PS3 and I want to get it again on the 360 since Capcom never bothered to patch for trophies. Is there alot of difference in the PS3 and xbox version ?

360 version has framerate issues in some areas and is lacking a few visual effects, cut-scenes ran at half the framerate they do on the PS3 version. PS3 version has a slight motion blur when in motion in place of proper anti aliasing(unnoticeable to me). That's it. Unless you're really looking for it though they're mostly indetical. I don't really recommend buying DMC4 twice though just for achievements...

Kard8p3 said:

It actually is my favorite but yeah I'm with you in that it's incredibly addictive. I think the game could have been somewhat better; I'm not a huge fan of the backtracking and I could have used a couple of boss fights that weren't obsessed with such a massive scale (though they were awesome) but the gameplay is so incredibly solid that I'd have to shake it up in my top five best action games ever made list. Maybe top 3.

Kard8p3

brandonh83 said:
It actually is my favorite but yeah I'm with you in that it's incredibly addictive. I think the game could have been somewhat better; I'm not a huge fan of the backtracking and I could have used a couple of boss fights that weren't obsessed with such a massive scale (though they were awesome) but the gameplay is so incredibly solid that I'd have to shake it up in my top five best action games ever made list. Maybe top 3.

I agree on the bosses. As much as I loved them I wish that we could have had a few more humanoid style bosses (like credo and dante.) Still with the exception of bael (and dagon of course) I love the bosses of this game. I kind of wish this game had a boss rush mode and it's something I really think DMC5 should have.

BeautifulMemory said:
I still can't beat Bloody Palace, Dante still owns me =/

Yeah I had trouble with it for awhile as well. I finally did beat it yesterday though (I had to use super dante to do it though.) I haven't tried with nero yet but I hope to be able to make it through with out super characters eventually.

I really hope DMC4 gets a special edition, hopefully adding in weapons from DMC3 (I'm thinking Dante can have an alternate set of weapons that is A&R/Nevan/Cerberus) and enemies/bosses from DMC1/3 for the Bloody Palace, but they can't fix things like the lack of Crazy Combos. It's an excellent game and Nero is very very well designed, but Dante really felt wrong and the bosses absolutely weren't up to par. Still, as DMC4 really resembled DMC1 in some of the aspects of its design, let's hope DMC5 is DMC1's DMC3. If that makes any sense.

Kard8p3

badcrumble said:
I really hope DMC4 gets a special edition, hopefully adding in weapons from DMC3 (I'm thinking Dante can have an alternate set of weapons that is A&R/Nevan/Cerberus) and enemies/bosses from DMC1/3 for the Bloody Palace, but they can't fix things like the lack of Crazy Combos. It's an excellent game and Nero is very very well designed, but Dante really felt wrong and the bosses absolutely weren't up to par. Still, as DMC4 really resembled DMC1 in some of the aspects of its design, let's hope DMC5 is DMC1's DMC3. If that makes any sense.

So you want DMC5 to be to DMC4 what DMC3 was to DMC1 right? That makes sense actually. I do disagree with what you said about bosses though. Though I wish there were more humanoid bosses I think they were all still great (except bael/dagon.)

Lince

Banned
Unregistered007 said:
since Capcom never bothered to patch for trophies

Capcom = lazy, the save file that contains the pseudo-trophies information can't be transferred so it would be so easy to patch and retroactively get the trophies... a shame since I went with the PS3 version and got 100% in the game :'(

the PC version is so much better btw, turbo + LDK mode FTW

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I've been playing through the PC version of DMC4 (DX9), and during some of the cutscenes some of the character models get a really strange blurry effect all around/through them, as if they're being viewed through a shower screen when they do certain animations. It appears to happen at random.

Any idea what is causing this?

gokieks

Bought DMC4 for PS3 on a whim today because it was cheap ($20 at Meijer). I had the first DMC, but I never finished it, and I'm not sure where my copy is (most likely someone borrowed it and never gave it back), and so I didn't bother getting DMC2/3... as someone who does somewhat care about the story, even if it's not the focus of the game, should I go get the PS2 collection of all 3 DMC games and play through those first? If so, I probably won't ever get around to playing 4... =/

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
gokieks said:
Bought DMC4 for PS3 on a whim today because it was cheap ($20 at Meijer). I had the first DMC, but I never finished it, and I'm not sure where my copy is (most likely someone borrowed it and never gave it back), and so I didn't bother getting DMC2/3... as someone who does somewhat care about the story, even if it's not the focus of the game, should I go get the PS2 collection of all 3 DMC games and play through those first? If so, I probably won't ever get around to playing 4... =/
I wouldn't bother. Honestly the story isn't really worth following outside of some of Dante's campy awesomeness.

MMaRsu said:
Not to troll the game cause I liked DMC3 but doesn't that get kinda boring in the long run?

Capcom was waaaaaaaaay ahead of you on that one. They only made half the game and let you play other one with second character. :lol :lol

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
So I finally bet the game on Devil Hunter Mode.

This was my first DMC game, and I really enjoyed it. The game sorely needed a tutorial for Dante's play style (HOLY SHIT THERE'S FOUR STYLES AND TWO WEAPONS AND I'M SLOWLY GETTING MORE I CAN'T KEEP UP, ARGH), especially after the relative simplicity of Nero's combat style, which I really enjoyed.

Playing as Dante was great, it made me feel empowered. It was like going back through old areas in a Metroid game after you get the Plasma Beam, but to a lesser extent.

As far as the whole Dante backtracking thing goes, maybe it was because I put the game down for almost a month between the Dante and Nero halves of the game, but I didn't have a huge problem with it. Playing as Dante was a lot of fun once I wrapped my head around the basic concepts.

Recycling the same maps was a very lazy decision, but at the very least they mixed things up a bit. In a way, playing through it felt like playing through a bonus mode like "Separate Ways" in RE4. The same areas, but with some little twists on them.

I'm glad I ended up playing through the entire thing. The complaints about Dante's half were GREATLY exaggerated. The only truely annoying thing was the recycling of bosses up to THREE FUCKING times (although the second time as Dante was dead easy).

Solid game. Like I said, I liked it. Hooray for final thoughts that are months late!

-Winnie-

Rez>You said:
So I finally bet the game on Devil Hunter Mode.

This was my first DMC game, and I really enjoyed it. The game sorely needed a tutorial for Dante's play style (HOLY SHIT THERE'S FOUR STYLES AND TWO WEAPONS AND I'M SLOWLY GETTING MORE I CAN'T KEEP UP, ARGH), especially after the relative simplicity of Nero's combat style, which I really enjoyed.

Playing as Dante was great, it made me feel empowered. It was like going back through old areas in a Metroid game after you get the Plasma Beam, but to a lesser extent.

As far as the whole Dante backtracking thing goes, maybe it was because I put the game down for almost a month between the Dante and Nero halves of the game, but I didn't have a huge problem with it. Playing as Dante was a lot of fun once I wrapped my head around the basic concepts.

Recycling the same maps was a very lazy decision, but at the very least they mixed things up a bit. In a way, playing through it felt like playing through a bonus mode like "Separate Ways" in RE4. The same areas, but with some little twists on them.

I'm glad I ended up playing through the entire thing. The complaints about Dante's half were GREATLY exaggerated. The only truely annoying thing was the recycling of bosses up to THREE FUCKING times (although the second time as Dante was dead easy).

Solid game. Like I said, I liked it. Hooray for final thoughts that are months late!

Now play Son of Sparda mode. :D

Grayman

-Winnie- said:
Now play Son of Sparda mode. :D
I like SoS having somewhat more enemy variety early in the game. I am up to the last mission on that difficulty and stopped after getting frustrated with the boss being a running bitch and controls/camera imperfections getting annoying.

I still suck and get hit lots. I would rather have a really short life bar with a way to refil it in combat instead of a really huge lifebar with no way for a man to refil it.

Some questions for anyone,
Which difficulty do i go to next? I read that there are choices at this point(DMD or one hit death?) which is better to use to get ready for the next.

"ENEMIES WEAKENED" what is this shit? I assume it is extra punishment for using more than one continue. Does it go away on higher difficulties?

I have a few secret missions left to do, do they get easier on wuss mode?

rvy

Banned
Uh, where did you guys assign the gun button to in your SOS and DMD playthroughs? I'm having a hard time figuring out a button for it that I can always keep pressing to channel extra energy into the Blue Rose.

I really need to play this (PC version), but I'm waiting for HT OMEGA to release a PCIe sound card with Dolby Digital Live. I want to play it on my TV and surround setup.

Monocle

Shikashi said:
Uh, where did you guys assign the gun button to in your SOS and DMD playthroughs? I'm having a hard time figuring out a button for it that I can always keep pressing to channel extra energy into the Blue Rose.
RT/R2 is the best by far. I like to stick with the default button for Dante.

jabipun

Blader5489 said:
Where the hell is Devil May Cry 5? DMC4 did so well, you'd think Capcom would have at least announced 5 by now.

They are waiting for Kamiya to educate the world on the action genre once again. Then they will begin production.

Sectus

Blader5489 said:
Where the hell is Devil May Cry 5? DMC4 did so well, you'd think Capcom would have at least announced 5 by now.
That is a good question. DMC4 is their best selling DMC title, and it's getting close to being 2 years old now. They released 3 DMC titles last gen (4 if you count special edition of DMC3), so it's about time they at least announce a new one.

Maybe they're just starting to announce games late in their development. Lost Planet 2 and Dead Rising 2 weren't revealed until they actually had something to show.

I'm more or less expecting DMC5 to be announced either at Jump Festa or at E3 2010. Or, I suppose, a special Capcom event in the spring sometime.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Sorry for the bump on this thread, I am LTTP.

I just played through the game and really enjoyed it. I haven't played a DMC game since the first one and had a ton of fun with it. I still prefer the Ninja Gaiden series overall to this one.

To be honest, I thought Nero's play mechanics were more fun and better balanced than Dante's were. I had a real blast with Nero's playthrough. The bosses were all a good deal of fun with the exception of the god statue thing which I thought was pretty average.

I don't have any complaints about backtracking with Dante. I thought his controls and gameplay were different enough that I still enjoyed it. Although, it would have been better had they given him some different bosses to fight or something. It was certainly a retread, but with enough of a twist that I didn't mind too much.

Dante was way way too overpowered compared to Nero.

I also found going back to Nero to be a system shock. Took me a bit to get used to playing as him again after playing as Dante.

My two biggest complaints with the game were the devil dice sections which I found insanely boring and the second to last level. Which was the combination of devil dice + fighting the same bosses for a 3rd time. By this point I was so used to them + so overpowered that I mowed all of them down in about 60 seconds. Maybe that was the point. If so, just let me fight the bosses again without the devil dice bullshit.

See my thread from a few days ago on games overstaying their welcome. This level should have been cut for sure.

I also have to say, the game is gorgeous. I really really liked the character designs and enemy designs throughout as well as the worlds they took place in. Some of the Alto enemy designs were really inspired.

StoOgE said:
Sorry for the bump on this thread, I am LTTP.

I just played through the game and really enjoyed it. I haven't played a DMC game since the first one and had a ton of fun with it. I still prefer the Ninja Gaiden series overall to this one.

To be honest, I thought Nero's play mechanics were more fun and better balanced than Dante's were. I had a real blast with Nero's playthrough. The bosses were all a good deal of fun with the exception of the god statue thing which I thought was pretty average.

I don't have any complaints about backtracking with Dante. I thought his controls and gameplay were different enough that I still enjoyed it. Although, it would have been better had they given him some different bosses to fight or something. It was certainly a retread, but with enough of a twist that I didn't mind too much.

Dante was way way too overpowered compared to Nero.

I also found going back to Nero to be a system shock. Took me a bit to get used to playing as him again after playing as Dante.

My two biggest complaints with the game were the devil dice sections which I found insanely boring and the second to last level. Which was the combination of devil dice + fighting the same bosses for a 3rd time. By this point I was so used to them + so overpowered that I mowed all of them down in about 60 seconds. Maybe that was the point. If so, just let me fight the bosses again without the devil dice bullshit.

See my thread from a few days ago on games overstaying their welcome. This level should have been cut for sure.

I also have to say, the game is gorgeous. I really really liked the character designs and enemy designs throughout as well as the worlds they took place in. Some of the Alto enemy designs were really inspired.

Glad you liked it. I wouldn't say I liked using Nero more than Dante, but the Devil Bringer was fun as hell to use.

I also know it's a general complaint, but I'm actually glad Dante was overpowered. It shows that Dante is still considered the main character of the series. I'm hoping he's the only one when Capcom gets around to DMC5.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Dante being overpowered might be the only reason I didn't completely hate playing through the levels again as Dante. I'm sure it's a double whammy of 1) Dante being more powerful 2) Me having been through the levels already.

However, I like the ability to grab enemies and pull them in (or you towards them).

Nero felt very unique to me, and there was a rhythm to fighting with him.

I liked both of them, I just prefered Nero's combat as being both very unique, fine tuned/boiled down (no weapon changes, no devil arms) and I liked the controls.

Not saying I don't enjoy playing as Dante.. but as someone with less allegiance to Dante (not being a huge fan of the original series) I preferred Nero.

Makes sense to me. I don't hate the way Nero plays and I don't even hate his character. It's just with DMC1 and 3 being two of my favorite games ever, it's hard to consider Nero a valid substitute for Dante.

Every game in the series has its own special innovation (styles, devil bringer), and I really hope the DB makes a return in DMC5. I'd just much rather have Dante using it in conjunction with the styles and another innovation that can hopefully compete with Bayonetta's witch time.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Timely bump. I've owned the DMC games for many years, and in as far as I've repeatedly dabbled with DMC1, 3, and 4, I've never really sat down with them and given them a chance to shine.

This changed once I finished Bayonetta, which I loved so much that I decided to follow it up with a complete DMC series run through. I was going to make a LTTP DMC Franchise thread, but I can't muster up the energy to do so.

I finished DMC1 with Dante only, and absolutely loved it. The gameplay sure is dated when compared to 3, 4, or Bayonetta, but the atmosphere is so fantastic. Probably the best of the series. I find the game to still be replayable today, and plan on revisiting it as Sparda eventually.

I finished both Lucia's and Dante's quests in DMC2, and thought that the game was a shattering disappointment. It's like someone modeled a sequel after only reading through a bullet listing of features, instead out of any kind of serious exposure to the original. I will never play this game again. Fuck Trish.

I just finished DMC3 SE on Saturday, and was thoroughly blown away. I know that Kamiya worked on DMC1 and Bayonetta, but despite not being involved in DMC3, he clearly grabbed a lot of inspiration from it for Bayonetta. So much so that Bayonetta feels more of a followup to DMC3 than his own DMC1. At least from a gameplay perspective. The game plays so fucking good, it's still quite relevant today I think. The characterization wasn't all that interesting when compared to DMC1, but the setting was way better than 1's, and the atmosphere almost as good. Another game that's incredibly replayable, and I fully intend on revisiting as Virgil in the near future. I loved that you could replay stages for orbs and continue powering yourself up, Bayonetta style. I did not appreciate the single-track natures of DMC1 and 2.

This leads me to DMC4, which I just started. It seems a bit toned down when compared to DMC3, but still plays and feels like an authentic DMC experience... unlike the 2nd game. I'm still only in the early missions, but I'm having a good time, and as much as I resisted Nero's character, I'm starting to appreciate the tweaked gameplay he offers. If things keep up, I expect that this will still wind up ranking pretty high on my action game list, right up there with Bayonetta, DMC3, and to a lesser extent, DMC1.

Really a fantastic series. I can't wait to see what Capcom whips up for DMC5.
Now, more than ever, I'm aching for the vaporware PSP release.

Top Bottom