• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

Glad you're enjoying the playthrough, Mejilan - make sure you make use of the fact that you can charge Nero's pistol even while executing melee attacks, and that his Lv. 3 charged shot is incredibly powerful; also do your best to get good at the Insta-Revs with his character. The evasive/defensive gameplay side of things isn't as strong or as fluid as in DMC3, so you'll need to be able to concentrate on your ability to dish out the crowd control.

For people waiting for DMC5, Kobayashi is currently working on the insanely awesome Sengoku Basara 3 (Or Sengoku Basara Samurai Heroes as it will be known when it releases in the US). The game is still months away, so that is why we haven't been hearing about DMC5 most likely. That is unless they got/are getting a new director

Lince

Banned
Curufinwe said:
Yeah, I suggest moving the Gun button to LB/L1 so you can charge it while having your right thumb free for the face buttons.

this, you'll be achieving long, powerful combos in no time. Nero > Dante

Mejilan said:
Timely bump. I've owned the DMC games for many years, and in as far as I've repeatedly dabbled with DMC1, 3, and 4, I've never really sat down with them and given them a chance to shine.

This changed once I finished Bayonetta, which I loved so much that I decided to follow it up with a complete DMC series run through. I was going to make a LTTP DMC Franchise thread, but I can't muster up the energy to do so.

I finished DMC1 with Dante only, and absolutely loved it. The gameplay sure is dated when compared to 3, 4, or Bayonetta, but the atmosphere is so fantastic. Probably the best of the series. I find the game to still be replayable today, and plan on revisiting it as Sparda eventually.

I finished both Lucia's and Dante's quests in DMC2, and thought that the game was a shattering disappointment. It's like someone modeled a sequel after only reading through a bullet listing of features, instead out of any kind of serious exposure to the original. I will never play this game again. Fuck Trish.

I just finished DMC3 SE on Saturday, and was thoroughly blown away. I know that Kamiya worked on DMC1 and Bayonetta, but despite not being involved in DMC3, he clearly grabbed a lot of inspiration from it for Bayonetta. So much so that Bayonetta feels more of a followup to DMC3 than his own DMC1. At least from a gameplay perspective. The game plays so fucking good, it's still quite relevant today I think. The characterization wasn't all that interesting when compared to DMC1, but the setting was way better than 1's, and the atmosphere almost as good. Another game that's incredibly replayable, and I fully intend on revisiting as Virgil in the near future. I loved that you could replay stages for orbs and continue powering yourself up, Bayonetta style. I did not appreciate the single-track natures of DMC1 and 2.

This leads me to DMC4, which I just started. It seems a bit toned down when compared to DMC3, but still plays and feels like an authentic DMC experience... unlike the 2nd game. I'm still only in the early missions, but I'm having a good time, and as much as I resisted Nero's character, I'm starting to appreciate the tweaked gameplay he offers. If things keep up, I expect that this will still wind up ranking pretty high on my action game list, right up there with Bayonetta, DMC3, and to a lesser extent, DMC1.

Really a fantastic series. I can't wait to see what Capcom whips up for DMC5.
Now, more than ever, I'm aching for the vaporware PSP release.

Great post. I still love this series and felt DMC4 was right up there with 1 and 3. I loved Bayonetta but I still prefer the action of DMC.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
L2 is currently in use for Exceed, and L1 is still the Devil Trigger button, IIRC.
I barely used guns in the first 3 DMCs, but if Nero's really is that good, then I'll definitely need to find a better location for that button. I'll tinker with it when I get back home tonight.

And yes, I'm on mission 3, and I've already started trying to build Exceeds right into my combos. It adds a whole new element to the already solid DMC gameplay. As does the Devil Bringer, of course! It's crazy fun comboing individual enemies away, locking on, and pulling them back in for more. Or, in the case of bosses, pulling myself up to their heads or whatever. Great stuff!

The only thing that irks me about Nero is that he looks and acts so much like Dante so far... I don't quite understand why they even bothered to create a new character that seems like such a clone. The gameplay he offers could always have been adapted to fit Dante if they so wanted... *shrugs*

DMC4 is definitly underrated. Mostly because the dice thing creates such a sour taste right at the end of the game. Of course once you learn the trick to it, it becomes a non-issue and you just have another Capcom boss-rush on your hands. Really love that it's basically two games as well. Nero is very satisfying, love the Just-Rev system, his grapples and his whole gameplay style. Very different from Dante, but just as satisfying.

Dante almost felt like a step down from DMC3 in many ways. Being able to cycle through everything (all weapons and all styles) seemed a little...pointless. Maybe that's just me, especially as I still haven't "cracked" Dante in the same way I did Nero. But seeing as how I tend to favor one style and one weapon the switching only comes in as an artificial way to drive up the style meter. I know you could switch in DMC3 too, but cycling through them means you know longer have the one you want instantly at your fingertips. I do need to replay DMC3 though, not touched it since the OG release back in...2004? 2005? Anyway, even after playing Bayonetta I still think DMC4 holds up nicely.

Mejilan

I suppose I can do that. I've got 3 games worth of habits to break now, though! :lol

MiamiWesker said:
Great post. I still love this series and felt DMC4 was right up there with 1 and 3. I loved Bayonetta but I still prefer the action of DMC.

I think I prefer the gameplay in Bayonetta simply because it really dances between offense-centric and defense-centric strategies with much more aplomb than the Devil May Cry games. In DMC, a strong defense basically revolves around a killer offense, whereas in Bayonetta you can get away with playing more defensively without really sacrificing your score or momentum. Bayonetta just feels more refined, in that sense.

But DMC3 and 4 are still have pretty incredible gameplay, IMHO, and while DMC1 has aged, it still can't be topped for setting and atmosphere (though DMC3 definitely comes close, at times)!

I'm so happy I blind-purchased Bayonetta and was charmed enough to give the DMC series the honest shot it deserved. I picked up the 5 year anniversary set for the PS2 not long before DMC4 came out. On that note, I'm disappointed that Capcom never patched in trophies. The in-game system for trophies was already in place, so I'm surprised they didn't make it official, Uncharted-style. Oh well.

Mejilan

Captain_Spanky said:
Dante almost felt like a step down from DMC3 in many ways. Being able to cycle through everything (all weapons and all styles) seemed a little...pointless. Maybe that's just me, especially as I still haven't "cracked" Dante in the same way I did Nero. But seeing as how I tend to favor one style and one weapon the switching only comes in as an artificial way to drive up the style meter. I know you could switch in DMC3 too, but cycling through them means you know longer have the one you want instantly at your fingertips. I do need to replay DMC3 though, not touched it since the OG release back in...2004? 2005? Anyway, even after playing Bayonetta I still think DMC4 holds up nicely.

Actually, that's probably the one thing that annoyed me the most about DMC3. You could only equip and cycle through two melee weapons and two ranged weapons as once. DMC2 let you freely cycle between all weapons/guns, and I definitely felt the lack in DMC3. Especially when I found myself 15 minutes into a stage and equipped with the wrong two weapons to tackle a new combat adjudicator. Still, a very minor annoyance, what with the ability to replay stages and/or backtrack to the nearest Divinity Statue to switch up styles and gear. But more than the weapons, I would have LOVED to have been able to switch up the styles on the fly.

Mejilan said:
Actually, that's probably the one thing that annoyed me the most about DMC3. You could only equip and cycle through two melee weapons and two ranged weapons as once. DMC2 let you freely cycle between all weapons/guns, and I definitely felt the lack in DMC3. Especially when I found myself 15 minutes into a stage and equipped with the wrong two weapons to tackle a new combat adjudicator. Still, a very minor annoyance, what with the ability to replay stages and/or backtrack to the nearest Divinity Statue to switch up styles and gear. But more than the weapons, I would have LOVED to have been able to switch up the styles on the fly.

I suppose it's just a case of preference. I really like games that feature one or two mechanics that it manages to twist and prod in different ways, making you really get to know a skillset and when you should use it, the little quirks it has etc (sort of like how SMB2j builds on ideas from the first, like the use of momentum and enemies as platforms). So Nero's more narrow skill set appeals to me.

Mejilan

Captain_Spanky said:
I suppose it's just a case of preference. I really like games that feature one or two mechanics that it manages to twist and prod in different ways, making you really get to know a skillset and when you should use it, the little quirks it has etc (sort of like how SMB2j builds on ideas from the first, like the use of momentum and enemies as platforms). So Nero's more narrow skill set appeals to me.

Oh, I don't mind a narrower/more focused skill-set. But if you do give me a ton of options (DMC3), then at least allow me to comfortably change my equipment up at any time outside of combat. I'm even fine being limited to the amount of gear I can bring in to each combat encounter. But if I'm not in the middle of a battle, please let me pop into the menus and switch up my gear and styles without retreating to a save point or canceling the mission! Bayonetta did that just that. You could equip up to two sets of melee/ranged weapons and switch between the two with a button press (even mid-combo), but pop into the menus and better manage your equipment practically whenever you want. In that sense, it was probably TOO forgiving.

Curufinwe

Die Squirrel Die said:
I have never ever thought of doing that, I'll have to give it a go sometime.

Capcom should have made it the default controls. I only switched to it on my second playthru when I searched online how to deal with certain enemies who were a lot tougher on Devil Hunter difficulty than they were on Human.

The advice was to blast them with a Level 3 charged shot.

Bebpo

Banned
Glad you loved DMC3 so much Mejilan. Like you, I was completely blown away by the game. The action is just fantastic and the boss fights are masterpieces for the most part. It's the only action game I've replied a half-dozen times over the years and it never gets old because the gameplay and patterns are still there and still great. I love how for the most part the level design is very short and straight-forward. It's all about continually being in the action and fighting cool bosses. And the weapons are so great. Nevan will never get old.

I think you'll like DMC4 the more and more you play it. One thing to note is that the normal difficulty is really gimped and makes the game seem a bit boring after DMC3. So just blow through the game once really quick and take in the story/levels/boss patterns and then start on the hard difficulty and enjoy the real game (which is still easier than DMC3, but at least it's a good difficulty on hard). Also the Dante side is not really balanced or well thought out like the Nero side, so just mess around and have fun in it.

I'm can't wait for DMC5. DMC is the case of one franchise where even without the original staff who made it all, they were able to still make very excellent action games (not counting 2). So I can't wait to see what they pull off for DMC5.

Mejilan

Yeah, from a gameplay perspective, 3 really demolishes 1 and (most especially) 2. 4 is shaping up to be a little simpler than 3 (or perhaps, more focused), but just as tight. The Nevan was probably the only weapon in 3 I didn't like, though. I used it for the 1 or 2 combat adjudicators that required it, and that was it. My favorites were the Rebellion, the Cerberus, and the Agni/Rudra combo.

It really is a fantastic series though, and I think that's a bit amazing considering how much they dropped the ball with 2, and then recovered. This WITHOUT the main director/whatever.

NG28

After seeing this thread re-emerge I decided to buy it today and give it a go. So far I like the enemy design and art style much more than DMC3. My only gripe is the lack of improvement over DMC3's dodge system.

I bought this back in 2008 and just had it lying around ever since. I recently bought Bayonetta but I thought I should go back and finish this first.

Pretty good game overall but seriously what the hell were the developers thinking with the end game? I didn't mind the backtracking so much but the recycled boss fights were just ridiculous. Making you fight the same boss twice is bad enough but THREE times? Seriously how stupid are they? Did they really think that would be fun or did they just get lazy in the end and hope people wouldn't notice? I hope whoever made that decision got fired for that one. Mission 19 was extremely tedious as well and if you've played the game you'll know why. I thought the soundtrack could have used a few more tracks as well as it got very repetitive in the end.

So even though it was a good game I was disappointed in the fact that its negative aspects could have been easily avoided but it seems like the developers didn't care.

I hear Bayonetta is supposed to be the benchmark in terms of action games and I really hope it doesn't try and throw cheap stunts like this did.

PJX

Dahbomb said:
Don't worry Bayonetta doesn't pull that stunt.

As much as I like Bayonetta, there are some bosses you fight 3 times. Although each time you fight them is different than the last time.

Archon473

Why not take this opportunity to discuss DMC4? I am looking for a reason to play this game on higher difficulties. I only ever beat Normal and lost interest in ranked runs due to the orb collecting rules (I'm told there are ways to game the entire rank system and pull SSS rank pretty easy, though I never really investigated). Apparently there are ridiculous damage glitches with Buster.

I don't think my Nero is fully upgraded yet and I know my Dante hardly has any attacks purchased. Dante did not hold my interest as I never used Swordmaster in DMC3 and do not like Gilgamesh in DMC4. Swordmaster and Gunslinger seem to have much more importance than Royal Guard seeing as they access Gilgamesh, Lucifer, and Pandora's full potential. I played DMC3 sticking to as few style/weapon layouts as possible. DMC4 Dante is obviously capable of much more, but Nero's simplicity and Exceed mechanic engages me a lot more. Do you find Dante most fun to play casually, just stomping enemies and goofing around, or do you enjoy playing missions straight through for rank?

Bloody Palace is great once again, but now that enemies are predetermined I'm running into a problem: I never have enough time. I waste a lot of time evading the first Blitz (Floor 21, I think) because I have no clue when I'm allowed to attack it. I'm passed that floor a few times but always end up defeated by the clock. I tend to play BP as Nero. I should learn how to really abuse Buster since it seems to wreck every enemy in the game.

rvy

Banned
I had no idea the PS3 framerate was sort of shitty when compared with 360. Controller definitely feels better though.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
This game is probably one of the most optimized for PC I've ever seen. I could play it very consistently on a laptop with integrated graphics.

I loved the gameplay but hated the level design. Will probably get DmC for cheap in the future to see if it addressed some of DMC4 issues in terms of gameplay not story.

Im gonna confess something here

Ive never beaten DMC4's Bloody palace, Dark dante always takes me out.

*hides face in shame*

Why not take this opportunity to discuss DMC4? I am looking for a reason to play this game on higher difficulties. I only ever beat Normal and lost interest in ranked runs due to the orb collecting rules (I'm told there are ways to game the entire rank system and pull SSS rank pretty easy, though I never really investigated). Apparently there are ridiculous damage glitches with Buster.

I don't think my Nero is fully upgraded yet and I know my Dante hardly has any attacks purchased. Dante did not hold my interest as I never used Swordmaster in DMC3 and do not like Gilgamesh in DMC4. Swordmaster and Gunslinger seem to have much more importance than Royal Guard seeing as they access Gilgamesh, Lucifer, and Pandora's full potential. I played DMC3 sticking to as few style/weapon layouts as possible. DMC4 Dante is obviously capable of much more, but Nero's simplicity and Exceed mechanic engages me a lot more. Do you find Dante most fun to play casually, just stomping enemies and goofing around, or do you enjoy playing missions straight through for rank?

Bloody Palace is great once again, but now that enemies are predetermined I'm running into a problem: I never have enough time. I waste a lot of time evading the first Blitz (Floor 21, I think) because I have no clue when I'm allowed to attack it. I'm passed that floor a few times but always end up defeated by the clock. I tend to play BP as Nero. I should learn how to really abuse Buster since it seems to wreck every enemy in the game.

do I really have to convert this man on the awesomeness of DMC4 Dante?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I'm not good enough to even bother seriously attempting to beat BP.

There are a few tricky problem spots in particular, but it's not too bad with a little planning. It sure is intimidating, though, considering how long it is. DMC4 remains my highest ratio game on TrueAchievements.com.

Should have been glorious....er.

No doubt, my friend. The game had so much potential for growth, that it boggles my mind how people just accepted Capcom's "burnt out IP" speech. It's a shame that the game was rushed and aspects of the game other than the combat suffered as a result.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Funny, I seriously thought about reinstalling this last night. Might still do it, actually. Need something to play until Revengeance hits.

(RIP Uncle Dante.)

I have the opposite problem. I streamrolled through BP with Dante but with Nero I get stuck in the 40-60 range.

Ha :) Nero is too safe for me. He can essentially disarm enemies through a level
3 charged shot and then go ham with melee attacks and then buster

With Dante I have never been fast enough to incorporate royal guard. Last time I played i died at Credo because I didn't use RG and realized I was doing too little damage

I also need to learn to incorporate Pandora and Lucifer more

demidar

All the talk about DmC actually convinced me to buy DMC4 on PC since I couldn't find my 360 copy. I was too weak to finish Bloody Palace without Super Dante/Nero back then but now I have Bayonetta experience under my belt and gave it another crack. Managed to finish Bloody Palace a couple of days ago as Dante, was sweating my balls off since getting there takes about two hours and I didn't want to fail but I luckily got off a full Royal Release taking like a 1/3 of his health. I was ecstatic, then frightened as the Doppleganger looked like he was gonna get back up again, but he fell and I felt like a fucking boss! So good, now I can't wait to get my hands on MGR!

That's all I wanted to share.

Anteater

One thing I like about this game is the animations, it does carry over to Dragon's Dogma, but man the framerate is shit there and it's a different genre.

DmC in comparison is a much lower tier.

One thing I like about this game is the animations, it does carry over to Dragon's Dogma, but man the framerate is shit there and it's a different genre.

DmC in comparison is a much lower tier.

And the animation really flows once you pick up the tempo and start canceling your moves left and right

And btw the improved rainstorm where you can hold the style button and Dante would continue to raimstorm into the ground? Godlike

demidar

And the animation really flows once you pick up the tempo and start canceling your moves left and right

And btw the improved rainstorm where you can hold the style button and Dante would continue to raimstorm into the ground? Godlike

My mind wasn't flexible enough to include the GunSlinger stance into my combos much unless I was using Pandora's Box :S. I generally relied on Trickster, Royal Guard and Sword Master (sort of neglected Dark Slayer as well unless I was doing air combos)

rvy

Banned
R.I.P the real DMC Dante

1357248332022wduqw.gif

Top Bottom