• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

Exceed is absolutely the saving grace of Nero as a character and a stroke of utter genius on behalf of the designers. Coming back to DMC4 after years of not touching it and having a 90%+ exceed success rate, on Turbo, by floor 20 of BP was elating. Shit's good.

Akainu

1357248332022wduqw.gif

Who the hell is that?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
There are a few tricky problem spots in particular, but it's not too bad with a little planning. It sure is intimidating, though, considering how long it is. DMC4 remains my highest ratio game on TrueAchievements.com.

No doubt, my friend. The game had so much potential for growth, that it boggles my mind how people just accepted Capcom's "burnt out IP" speech. It's a shame that the game was rushed and aspects of the game other than the combat suffered as a result.

Same here. The S rank of bloody palace is the highest ratio one I have.

demidar

It's amazing how easy Dante is once you understand how to beat him. Far as I observed you can just bait him to enter a combo hitting air then just shotgun him in the face. If you get caught though it's goddamn painful. Also to cancel his Royal Guard state just Sky Star over his head and he'll Release into nothing.

Exceed is absolutely the saving grace of Nero as a character and a stroke of utter genius on behalf of the designers. Coming back to DMC4 after years of not touching it and having a 90%+ exceed success rate, on Turbo, by floor 20 of BP was elating. Shit's good.

It's so shocking how so many people didn't even know you can J-rev. One thing DmC does right is that it constantly reminds players that there are options that exist outside of Y, Y, Y. It might be seen as hand holding, but it's quite evident when people call Nero shallow, cus he doesn't have herp-a-derp weapons or combozzz. Mastering J-revs is a sequence of enjoyment all in of itself. You watch most people play DMC4 they assume the exceed system is only outside of attacks, which is the worst way to use it.

Jubern

Damn, seeing this thread makes me play it badly, it's been years... I may grab a used PS3 copy for cheap now that I don't have my 360 anymore.

For some reason, my best of the series are with this game. I realize this is a really strange opinion, can't really explain why myself.

We shall never surrendeeeeer.

Grief.exe

Damn, seeing this thread makes me play it badly, it's been years... I may grab a used PS3 copy for cheap now that I don't have my 360 anymore.

For some reason, my best of the series are with this game. I realize this is a really strange opinion, can't really explain why myself.

We shall never surrendeeeeer.

You can get the PC copy for about $5.

Its GFWL though.

Whats the consensus on the port? Is it pretty solid?

Anyone have a DMC4 save they can link me to? Just lost all of my game data (had to reformat) and didn't use the steam cloud. Also, could someone explain how I use the save data? Much appreciated.

DMC4 doesn't use Steam Cloud.

You would have had to back up your XBL profile and the save using Game Save Manager.

Otherwise they conflict because of achievement protection.

VertPin

Anyone have a DMC4 save they can link me to? Just lost all of my game data (had to reformat) and didn't use the steam cloud. Also, could someone explain how I use the save data? Much appreciated.

I keep meaning to go back to the 360 version to get the TWO MISSIONS I need S ranks on for 1000/1000 but stepping back from the PC's turbo mode is more difficult than it should be. It will probably never happen.

Dahbomb

It's so shocking how so many people didn't even know you can J-rev. One thing DmC does right is that it constantly reminds players that there are options that exist outside of Y, Y, Y. It might be seen as hand holding, but it's quite evident when people call Nero shallow, cus he doesn't have herp-a-derp weapons or combozzz. Mastering J-revs is a sequence of enjoyment all in of itself. You watch most people play DMC4 they assume the exceed system is only outside of attacks, which is the worst way to use it.
DmC doesn't tell you how to just charge your chargeable moves either. It's not as integral to the combat but it's still a good bit of mechanic to go over.

Jubern

You can get the PC copy for about $5.

Its GFWL though.

Whats the consensus on the port? Is it pretty solid?

PC is no-go, only have a MacBook Air with me here, as far as computers go. But it's okay, I'm sure I can find a PS3 copy for 1000¥ or something.

demidar

My steam copy doesn't have GFWL on it at all though?

The one I got off Steam doesn't even have Steam achievements, rather it's kept track of in-game independently of everything else. I don't think anyone can see it besides the player. No GFWL either.

^You get that ability after you beat Credo.

Monocle

Nice to see this thread again. I've been spending some time with the HD Collection, and damn, DMC3 is still sharp. I mean, I know I've been touting it as one of the best action games of all time for good reason, but the controls are even tighter than I remembered. Like, Bayonetta quality. Even ignoring what little advanced tech I can pull off, Million Stabs feels amazing. Reminds me how much I used to miss Crazy Combos* when I first got into DMC4.

* You know, those special rapid-fire moves you can do by mashing a button at the right time. Does anyone remember that slashing flurry with Agni & Rudra? So satisfying.

Nice to see this thread again. I've been spending some time with the HD Collection, and damn, DMC3 is still sharp. I mean, I know I've been touting it as one of the best action games of all time for good reason, but the controls are even tighter than I remembered. Like, Bayonetta quality. Even ignoring what little advanced tech I can pull off, Million Stabs feels amazing. Reminds me how much I used to miss Crazy Combos* when I first got into DMC4.

* You know, those special rapid-fire moves you can do by mashing a button at the right time. Does anyone remember that slashing flurry with Agni & Rudra? So satisfying.

how about doing Beowulf combos without knowing the inputs? It was like "OMG I just pummeled the shit out of the enemy! But I can't do it again...wtf..."

Monocle

how about doing Beowulf combos without knowing the inputs? It was like "OMG I just pummeled the shit out of the enemy! But I can't do it again...wtf..."
Haha, those kicks. I loved discovering new combos with DMC weapons. Bayonetta brought it all back. Especially with Scarborough Fair and the katana. So much variation.

Decided to boot up DMC4 again because of this thread. First time I've played it on my PC in years, and wow it's beautiful. The environments look nice, and more JRPG/Resident Evil than I remember. Dante is a bit too handsome, not pretty boy anime handsome like Nero, but male fashion model handsome.

I decided to get my PS2 to usb adapter working again with x360ce, and boy do I miss digital triggers. I actually do prefer the weight of the DS3, but by god are those analog triggers awful.

Deitus

Funny that this thread got bumped. I actually just the other day started playing DMC4 again, after not touching it for years. And well... it was rough.

Part of the problem is, I've already done all the easy parts. S ranked all of Devil Hunter, beaten DMD and Bloody Palace, so the only thing left is finish S ranking SoS and DMD, and beat Hell and Hell. But man, I just cannot do anything worthwhile anymore. I mean, I can consistently rev my sword (but I get a perfect 3-bar rev maybe once every 5 minutes), and I know to constantly charge blue rose, but I just keep getting hit by really basic attacks. And Dante... I can't even figure out how to work Lucifer anymore, much less how to seamlessly switch between 3 weapons, 3 guns, and 5 styles.

At this point it seems like the best course of action is to start a new save file, so I can start from scratch and relearn the basics. But the idea of starting all over again when I haven't finished my first file is a bit frustrating. I have a feeling I'm going to get to about the same point before I run out of steam and put it down for another couple of years, and I'll basically have accomplished nothing.

Actually... MG Rising comes out in a week. There's no way I have time to relearn DMC4. Maybe after I play some Rising, and work out my atrophied stylish-action muscles, I'll be able to come back to DMC4 and not completely suck.

demidar

Funny that this thread got bumped. I actually just the other day started playing DMC4 again, after not touching it for years. And well... it was rough.

Part of the problem is, I've already done all the easy parts. S ranked all of Devil Hunter, beaten DMD and Bloody Palace, so the only thing left is finish S ranking SoS and DMD, and beat Hell and Hell. But man, I just cannot do anything worthwhile anymore. I mean, I can consistently rev my sword (but I get a perfect 3-bar rev maybe once every 5 minutes), and I know to constantly charge blue rose, but I just keep getting hit by really basic attacks. And Dante... I can't even figure out how to work Lucifer anymore, much less how to seamlessly switch between 3 weapons, 3 guns, and 5 styles.

At this point it seems like the best course of action is to start a new save file, so I can start from scratch and relearn the basics. But the idea of starting all over again when I haven't finished my first file is a bit frustrating. I have a feeling I'm going to get to about the same point before I run out of steam and put it down for another couple of years, and I'll basically have accomplished nothing.

Actually... MG Rising comes out in a week. There's no way I have time to relearn DMC4. Maybe after I play some Rising, and work out my atrophied stylish-action muscles, I'll be able to come back to DMC4 and not completely suck.

Either Lucifer is super high-tier or just sucks, don't worry about using it. Do you know to manipulate the camera to exploit the fact that enemies don't attack off-screen? Stay in the air as much as possible, learn strats for Blitzes and swordfishes and you'll be fine
?

DmC doesn't tell you how to just charge your chargeable moves either. It's not as integral to the combat but it's still a good bit of mechanic to go over.

Yes, but the game is just generally designed with more of a intuitive tutorial system.

Training Mode.
Load Screens with combo examples
Advanced Combat prompts that show up during gameplay
Being able to play test moves and combos before you purchase them

I've met people who actually think DmC has more depth than DMC4, simply only because they never knew about half of the shit you can do in those games. They kind of just throw you off in the deep end when it comes to any intermediate and above combat mechanics.

The cutscenes are a lot better than I remember them, surprisingly enough. A ton of tiny details, but some of the edits and pacing feel a bit off, might be due to being dubbed over from Japanese (I assume). Dante taunting Nero by "revving" Rebellion was a neat touch, but Nero riding a scarecrow with Red Queen revving looks like something that was supposed to be in the game, not just a one-time cutscene move.

demidar

The cutscenes are a lot better than I remember them, surprisingly enough. A ton of tiny details, but some of the edits and pacing feel a bit off, might be due to being dubbed over from Japanese (I assume). Dante taunting Nero by "revving" Rebellion was a neat touch, but Nero riding a scarecrow with Red Queen revving looks like something that was supposed to be in the game, not just a one-time cutscene move.

Dante from DMC3 could do the same thing, just without the flaming sword stuck into the enemy he was riding.

Jubern

DMC 1 to 4 weren't dubbed in anything beside English, actually.

Dante from DMC3 could do the same thing, just without the flaming sword stuck into the enemy he was riding.
Yeah, that's why it struck me as odd that it's in a cutscene and not the game.
DMC 1 to 4 weren't dubbed in anything beside English, actually.
Hm really? I guess the line delivery might be a bit off. It often feels like they didn't have an editor, only an action choreographer.

I'm surprised by how weak the bosses are in Devil Hunter. Just two sequences and you're done, pretty much. I haven't died yet to a boss and I barely remember the patterns, and that's after getting my ass kicked by Beowulf and Vergil 2/3 in DMC3SE on the HD collection when I went to replay that.

Top Bottom