• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 5 lite-multiplayer 'Cameo System' revealed via Capcom Unity

Shifty

Alongside the latest extended trailer, Capcom's official blog revealed new information on a 'lite' multiplayer system resembling the passive player phantoms in the Dark Souls series:

Speaking of seeing others in action, you may have noticed a couple of scenes in the trailer where Nero, Dante and V fight demons alongside each other. That is our brand-new cameo system, made specifically to complement Devil May Cry 5’s single player gameplay. Here’s how it works:

The game is primarily a single player experience, but director Itsuno-san and the team really wanted to tell an epic story with three distinct perspectives and play-styles, where the main protagonists run into each other and collaborate from time to time. So to make that a reality, they’ve implemented a system where, while connected to the Internet, players will make guest cameo appearances in each other’s games in real time, or through ghost data gameplay recordings. Depending on the mission, you’ll see another player in the background, but in other cases, you’ll actually be slicing and dicing demons side-by-side with another players!

Again, our focus is in providing a single player experience like no other, so this cameo system also ensures the experience is always smooth as possible with no downtime.

As you conclude each mission with a cameo appearance, you’re given the option to rate the other players “Stylish” if they put on a good show. Just make sure you’re on top of your game too, as a “Stylish” rating can come with useful rewards.

Just be mindful that some missions will be strictly single player, especially as characters split up to explore different areas, so if the story doesn’t have any characters crossing paths, the gameplay experience will reflect that. And if you only play “offline,” you’ll actually be seeing ghost data gameplay recordings of the development team instead of other players’.

Source:
Capcom Unity

What do you all think of this idea? I was secretly hoping for them to reveal full-fat campaign co-op after seeing the characters fight together in the latest footage, but I feel like this is a solid compromise given that the series has never seen multiplayer before outside of the doppelganger easter egg in DMC3 and unofficial mods.

I'm quite curious about the implementation though. How are pre-recorded ghost data characters supposed to interact with enemies that the local player can also affect? Will cameo Dante just keep dong his sick air combo even if I snatch the target enemy out from under him?

Last edited:

Helios

Damn, I was hoping for bloody palace co-op at least. I imagine that each player has their own monsters to fight that the other player can't interact with.

Shifty

I imagine that each player has their own monsters to fight that the other player can't interact with.
That sounds like the most logical way to do it. I guess the real-time stuff will come with fights that are set in the same area, and just fall back to standard offline AI in the event of connection trouble.

Better than nothing, I suppose. Should add some fun to the game, but nothing is a substitute for co-op. Then again, I don't really know of any modern character action game like this that does have co-op. Might be kind of hard to make it work with this genre.

Shifty

Then again, I don't really know of any modern character action game like this that does have co-op. Might be kind of hard to make it work with this genre.
Bayonetta 2 has an online co-op mode where you pick a bunch of 'verse cards' to progress through enemies and bosses. Kind of like Bloody Palace if you could choose the floors in whatever order you like.

It was very cool. Maybe something similar will come with the Bloody Palace update, since it's a simpler problem to solve than making an entire campaign co-op.

Top Bottom