• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 5 |OT| Gimme Dat Vergil

51,237 In-Game

Can I say I'm seriously impressed with the sales of this game on PC, I don't know how anyone could've predicted such numbers with the previous title being the reboot, and the one before being 13 years ago. I thought this was going to be a flop and the end of Devil May Cry. All too often there's a pattern of what people are asking for that really has no widespread interest. But Jesus, this one is one of the exceptions....

I haven't seen anything gameplay wise to interest me, enemies seem quite boring and each time I went back to DMC 1/3/4 I had the same feelings. Never finished 4. I'll keep an eye on this one still.

Anyway, enjoy your game! I'm happy for you.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I already have a feeling this will be the best game we play all year. Truly magical.

Shifty

5 hours in and loving it so far. Performance is like buttah even on the maxed settings it auto-picked out of the box, the gameplay is superb, and the plot has me hooked. Still yet to sleep, and I at this point I feel like that's going to be a case of "when I have to".

Make sure to check out the gallery in between sessions too. There are some smooth jazzy remixes of certain tunes in there that are just :messenger_grinning::messenger_ok:

The end of the first meeting between Dante and V. Ur Reason, "VEEERRRGGG-" end scene :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
I have text on the left side of my screen that says Starring: the DMC crew or something and it just stays there. How do I get rid of it?
edit: went away on its own after a while. Weird

Last edited:

DubReno

I'm finally in. The 10 year wait ends now.

OLKhA07.gif

LET'S ROCK!

I fell asleep waiting. Just woke up and I got the day off.

Time to kick some ass.

Breakage

I was just watching a no-commentary walkthrough of the opening segment on YouTube. The presentation is incredible – Capcom really nailed the hellish, demonic aesthetic. But man they ruined Nico with their voice actress choice. She sounds like Sheldon's mother from The Big Bang Theory. Wtf were they thinking? It does not go with the character design at all.

Solarstrike

Just picked it up for the PC. The controls in the game are the best i've ever experienced in a game. Just stunning. Also, the fluidity of combat and overall detail(s) of the animations throughout are superb. CAPCOM is really onto something with this engine. Imagine a new Bionic Commando, Ghosts N' Goblins, Dragon's Dogma with this engine. Simply outstanding work, Devil May Cry V is a shining example of hope, for the future of 3rd person gaming and video gaming in general.

Soltype

I was just watching a no-commentary walkthrough of the opening segment on YouTube. The presentation is incredible – Capcom really nailed the hellish, demonic aesthetic. But man they ruined Nico with their voice actress choice. She sounds like Sheldon's mother from The Big Bang Theory. Wtf were they thinking? It does not go with the character design at all.
Yeah it's no good, it's a bad southern accent, and the actress is having a hard time speaking so low.

Shifty

Just finished up my first playthrough on Devil Hunter. Fantastic stuff. The game exceeded all but the most absurdly unrealistic of my expectations.

This is now the definitive Devil May Cry game.

I'll probably post some more coherent thoughts on it at some point, but I'm approaching 20 hours awake at the moment and the words no do the thing good.

Last edited:
Just picked it up for the PC. The controls in the game are the best i've ever experienced in a game. Just stunning. Also, the fluidity of combat and overall detail(s) of the animations throughout are superb. CAPCOM is really onto something with this engine. Imagine a new Bionic Commando, Ghosts N' Goblins, Dragon's Dogma with this engine. Simply outstanding work, Devil May Cry V is a shining example of hope, for the future of 3rd person gaming and video gaming in general.

Yeah I was marveling at that today. It’s a great engine. Looks very crisp and runs so damn well. I’m still averaging 70-80 FPS with 120% rendering on 1440p

Pejo

I'm not sure if there's a memory leak on the PC version or what. It ran perfectly for the first hour or two I played last night, then I started getting bad frame drops and hiccups. Had to shut it down and re-open, and it was fine. Anyone else experience this? Also, voices are slightly out of sync with the animations.

Game is fucking great. I spent a few hours last night just going through the story, then replayed the first boss a few times for fun and to unlock more moves. I was too tired to keep up with new story, so I want to go fresh into it today after work. Game looks and plays great.

Last edited:

Meccs

Just played the first few missions. Runs and looks like a dream.
So much blatant sexualization and objectification of female side characters though! /s

Last edited:

slade

Got up at 3am and played till 5 before I had to get ready for work. Cannot wait to get back home and play some more. This game looks amazing at 4k/60 with all settings maxed out.

Dear youtube

I have clicked the "not interested" button on all of the last 80+ DMC5 videos with spoilers in the thumbnail and title which you have so kindly recommended to me. If you could consider getting the fucking picture eventually that would be just swell.

Hugs and kisses and whatnot

P.S. Why does this shit happen for every major game release? I don´t even watch preview videos or anything just to avoid getting spoiled and then suddenly my feed is flooded with bullshit.

Meccs

Man, I am rusty as fuck when it comes to chaining combos. I haven't played something like this in years...

Shifty

Looks like steam cloud might have eaten my clear data. There goes 12 hours :lollipop_pouting:

But what a 12 hours it was. Time to jump back in and do it all again, only better :messenger_bicep:

Last edited:

Meccs

I'm not very good at this type of game. I wonder if i would enjoy it.
There is a AUTO mode where it chains together combos for you. Makes you feel like a bad-ass with just button mashing! You can chain in the moves you know too. It's still super fun.

Last edited:

Helios

Man, I am rusty as fuck when it comes to chaining combos. I haven't played something like this in years...
I got hit by the DMC4 hurdle of going from Nero to Dante and I keep using only one weapon(Balrog is so much fun) and swordmaster instead of chaining them.

SweetShark

Ok, the game is great, but I need help with something:
How I change targets? I follow exactly the instructions but is only turn my camera a little...

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
The general enemies definitely encourage cheaper and less stylish play on DMD. I found myself more worrying about damage damage damage than looking cool.

The chessboard ended up being royalguard + jump canceled beowulf divekicks for me, farming up perfect releases on the queen to try and smash the king ASAP and end it.

And I can generally cheese arkham and keep the eel things at bay, but DMD makes them even worse. The battle of brothers section stealing your DT gauge and circle button with no checkpoint... Pain. :messenger_neutral:

And Vergil 3 is straight up insane this time around. When he starts doing the "judgement cut everywhere" thing his DT health regen easily outstrips the amount of damage you're reasonably able to deal in between sessions of helm breaker helm breaker helm breaker helm breaker helm breaker helm breaker helm breaker helm breaker helm breaker helm breaker helm breaker helm breaker helm breaker

Just completed it. I spent a lot of time grinding through Easy Mission 20 for orbs to buy health and holy water, mostly for the god awful chess fight. I honestly didn't find Vergil 3 to be that difficult. Took me about 7 minutes and I used about 3 Vital Star Ls and was able to beat it. I found Arkham and Chess to be far more difficult.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Just got to Twink Goth Kylo Ren!

Awesome game so far and a total return to form for the series. Crazy cutscenes, crisp combat, wacky banter, no fucks given at all. Thanks, Capcom.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Dear youtube

I have clicked the "not interested" button on all of the last 80+ DMC5 videos with spoilers in the thumbnail and title which you have so kindly recommended to me. If you could consider getting the fucking picture eventually that would be just swell.

Hugs and kisses and whatnot

P.S. Why does this shit happen for every major game release? I don´t even watch preview videos or anything just to avoid getting spoiled and then suddenly my feed is flooded with bullshit.

Yeah and it happens without anyone batting an eye at it. If some AAA games flow just like movies, you're essentially getting the movie for free and it's getting ruined or spoiled too. It's dumb and stupid. It probably doesn't matter to these "content makers" or YouTubers, but there's still a group of people who want to pay $65 USD to play through an entire video game without spoilers.

V is great. I have to utilize the entire controller to play as him while he's basically a glass cannon. I don't get the whole network thing and why it said "DMC team...?" on my screen. I'm on mission
I'm loving this game. All the fights make it feel like it's a way to learn the mechanics. I still want a bloody palace. Which is coming later.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Yeah i don't get this game.
DmC was dope af
Bayonetta 2 was crazy.

All i see is fing tutorials , 80% scenes 10% gameplay. 10% loading between Super tiny areas And the gameplay i get is basically 3 enemies then 3 again with huge ass healthpools.
Def missing it. Mission 4 right now. I just quit the game.
What i have seen so far.. 6 no more and that story oh boy.

DubReno

Yeah i don't get this game.
DmC was dope af
Bayonetta 2 was crazy.

All i see is fing tutorials , 80% scenes 10% gameplay. 10% loading between Super tiny areas And the gameplay i get is basically 3 enemies then 3 again with huge ass healthpools.
Def missing it. Mission 4 right now. I just quit the game.
What i have seen so far.. 6 no more and that story oh boy.

That's a shame, still though if it's not for you who am I to judge.

I already beat the game and now I'm going through playthrough number 2, this time on Sons of Sparda mode. Urizen still kicked my ass on mission one even with all the extra upgrades.

Top Bottom