• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 5 |OT| Gimme Dat Vergil

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Y'all wild, V is a lot of fun, and kinda busted too, since he can just charge is DT gauge at will.
All you really have to do is just power up featherface so it fights by himself and then control shadow manually while charging the DT guage.
I also just get a kick out of controlling those two DMC1 bosses, especially fitting when you also use lock and load or ultra violet as V's battle music.

This can be done while being locked onto them or with the free camera? Or even both as long as I'm facing the attack?

Another thing : how do you dodge attacks effectively? Might be a stupid question, but the boss attacks seem to hit me very often even though I'm doing what the game told me : sick to the side and roll with a. I know there is table hopper as well, but the timing seems very strict.

Yeah it doesn't matter, just hit the attack.
I personally always dodge into attacks, because of the iframes. If you dodge away from attacks you have a higher change of running out of iframes and getting hit anyway.

Last edited:

The Skull

Finished it in two sittings, getting mostly S ranks for mission. Whilst I'm not a huge fan of V's play style, the game is so fucking good. Couldn't be happier how it turned out.

Javthusiast

Banned
Arrived in mission 6. So far really liking it, although fighting bosses with V is kinda a pain in the ass, because of limited skills so far, and slight delay between you pressing the attack buttons and the animals need to position themlselves first etc. Feels a little clunky, but overall I like playing as him.

What I will say though that is negative are the environments. It feels really dull. It's not that big a deal, but very noticeable. That won't ruin the game for me though, cause I feel like dmc levels never were especially outstanding.

Last edited:
I can't believe what I am reading about V. He is insanely OP , it feels even more powerful than Vergil in DMC 4 with the charge attack. Spamming Nightmare right on top of a bunch of enemies is instakill for the weakest ones and depletes a good chunk of boss lifebar. I have bought the main skills for both Shadow and Griffon. Shadow is as scary as it was in the first DMC but playing on my side. Great stuff.

To me, Nero is the weakest link, by a long margin.

#miller

Yeah it doesn't matter, just hit the attack.
I personally always dodge into attacks, because of the iframes. If you dodge away from attacks you have a higher change of running out of iframes and getting hit anyway.

Hmm.. I seem to not get something. Sorry for being stupid, but: how do you dodge into attacks. It seems to only be possible to dodge left and right.. I'm a total noob at this.

Shifty

People saying V sucks are trippin'. He plays great, just very differently. His style ends up more like a micro-heavy RTS resource manager than anything else.

- I feel like I need 2 right thumbs to play V optimally. Anyone try moving Shadow or Griffon to a shoulder button?
Yep, I rebound Griffon to RT and the book to X. It's nice since he has so many charge moves.

I fiddled with having Shadow on LT as well, but it felt too weird.

Hmm.. I seem to not get something. Sorry for being stupid, but: how do you dodge into attacks. It seems to only be possible to dodge left and right.. I'm a total noob at this.
I think R Reizo Ryuu was talking in a general sense. Dante is the only character that can freely dash toward/away from locked enemies using Trickster.

Graciaus

I actually really liked using V. By the end of the game I didn't even want to use Nero anymore. The devil breaker stuff would be better if they didn't break or at least you could cycle them for max style.

After finishing the story I found the lvl design tiresome,most of the game is happening inside that big ass tree,and everything looks the same

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member

I think R Reizo Ryuu was talking in a general sense. Dante is the only character that can freely dash toward/away from locked enemies using Trickster.

Yep, this^.
For example, if an attack is moving from left to right, I'll dodge to the left so I move into it.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Nero kind of has too much going on with all the charging and revving and active lock-on needed for so many things. Often you'll want to charge for something but know that you'll have to dodge while charging, so you have to press A with a different part of your thumb while holding the other button. Makes me wish I had an analog arcade stick. Dante is definitely the best.

But in regard to Nero's moves, I'm really glad I had Punch Line and upgraded guns for the Mission 3 boss. That would have been sooo annoying to fight mostly melee.

NahaNago

V does seem overpowered from what I have played of him but I still can't say I enjoy using him. Still I'm only on mission 6 so I might like the other characters a bit more later on.

edit: mission 6 was stupid short and the light covering the derrier was just stupid.

Last edited:
Im 50/50 on V. His style is certainly functional and I appreciate them including a character whose playstyle is vastly different from what we´ve seen before. My main problem with it is just that I don´t really see what part of his gameplay qualifies as `stylish`. Like, I´m pretty much just sitting back watching enemies get obliterated by a barrage of particle effects and yet the game is awarding me a "smokin sexy style" rating. Reminds me of all those high school group projects where I did none of the work and got the maximum grade.

Ellis

I'm still on patch 1.04 (PS4 UK/EU version) since Thursday and there was a censored scene with lady in the van.

I wanted to witness that sweat ass, but I got blinded by fucking lens flare. Expecting Trish to be the same now :/

Nico was thristy for some Lady :messenger_ok:

Last edited:

The Skull

I'm still on patch 1.04 (UK/EU version) since Thursday and there was a censored scene with lady in the van.

I wanted to witness that sweat ass, but I got blinded by fucking lens flare. Expecting Trish to be the same now :/

Nico was thristy for some Lady :messenger_ok:

PC without lens flares if you wanna see her in all her glory

#Phonepunk#

Banned
just a few hours in. i'm playing on Human, which may be too easy. i haven't died once and am S-ranking everything lol. tbh i have no idea what i'm doing past kicking and shooting. it looks amazing and the performance is very smooth.

it's funny all the Judeo-Christian names and mythos referenced in this. it's all over Bayonetta too. think Western devs are too self-conscious about Christianity so it just leaves the Japanese devs to use it to make cool metal as hella stuff. the US scene it is too self consciously political, so in Japan, it is largely removed from that, and the lore can be mined for all this cool stuff. people who are otaku about it and referencing the Kabbalah & taking design & naming cues from medieval demonology.

loving the characters. haha do Japanese game devs have a thing for southern women? not that i blame them =)

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Nero kind of has too much going on with all the charging and revving and active lock-on needed for so many things. Often you'll want to charge for something but know that you'll have to dodge while charging, so you have to press A with a different part of your thumb while holding the other button. Makes me wish I had an analog arcade stick. Dante is definitely the best.

It's the other way around.
In order to play Dante as effectively as Nero can be, you need to be constantly switching between styles and weapons. Dante is far more technical to master, but if you do his "dps" is definitely a bunch higher than Nero.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
It's the other way around.
In order to play Dante as effectively as Nero can be, you need to be constantly switching between styles and weapons. Dante is far more technical to master, but if you do his "dps" is definitely a bunch higher than Nero.
But the switching is with a tap. I'm talking specifically about the manual nuisance of holding face buttons down while using other ones. Dante has a bunch of switching between actions, but Nero has a bunch of overlapping actions. It makes Dante much more dynamic and reactive but most importantly way easier to physically perform.

Helios

You don't even need to be good with V. Just EX your pets to do all the fighiting while you read a good book. I'm on Son Of Sparda right now and it still works.
That would have been sooo annoying to fight mostly melee.
It's not so bad. Aerial Combo+ Roulette Spin to stay in the air is good enough. If you pair it with Calibur it's even better.

Shifty

But the switching is with a tap. I'm talking specifically about the manual nuisance of holding face buttons down while using other ones. Dante has a bunch of switching between actions, but Nero has a bunch of overlapping actions. It makes Dante much more dynamic and reactive but most importantly way easier to physically perform.
Remap the gun to R2. Makes it a lot easier to keep it charged up without overloading your thumb with stuff to do. It was the same in 4, though back then you didn't have to worry about the other face buttons having charge inputs like you do with this one.

While Dante may be input simple, actually fitting his massive toolkit together into a gameplan is a real mental challenge when you're in the thick of it.

Last edited:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Played up to chapter 4

Game is a visual marvel on X1X, and is totally a badass, old-school action game.

There’s nothing quite like stringing together a long combo, jumping off of enemies, and hearing the music change as you get an S ranking. Great stuff.

J3nga

How the hell it gets so much praise? The gameplay loop is so tiresome and gameplay mechanics for V is just bad, you can just spam bosses with your pets while staying away from the boss. WTF? Maybe just it's just me not understanding the genre or the series itself. And objectively, it has boring, ugly and repetitive level design I've seen in a while. Cutscenes are so nice though, it's a shame that everything that happens in between aren't as good.

Last edited:

Shifty

How the hell it gets so much praise? The gameplay loop is so tiresome and gameplay mechanics for V is just bad, you can just spam bosses with your pets while staying away from the boss. WTF? Maybe just it's just me not understanding the genre or the series itself.
V is weird and different. What you make him do while the pets are busy kicking ass is just as important as doing damage. Throw some shade, read a book, etc.

If you find Nero and Dante tiresome then you should vary up your moves more.

And objectively
giphy.gif

The pc version had a lense flare when she stood up.
It also has an option for 'Lens Flares' in the graphics settings.

I'm assuming they don't bypass that for the sake of the cutscenes.

Edit: Turns out they do.

Last edited:

decisions

How the hell it gets so much praise? The gameplay loop is so tiresome and gameplay mechanics for V is just bad, you can just spam bosses with your pets while staying away from the boss. WTF? Maybe just it's just me not understanding the genre or the series itself. And objectively, it has boring, ugly and repetitive level design I've seen in a while. Cutscenes are so nice though, it's a shame that everything that happens in between aren't as good.

Remember, this is a game where the depth is in the gameplay. As you unlock more skills, challenge yourself to use them all in conjunction with one another and create a style of your own. With Nero, are you making use of Max-ACT? What if you purposely don't use Max-ACT in the air, but jump cancel your combos for a bit, then when you want to get back to the ground, try and use Max-ACT on your last aerial attack to use do a lvl 3 split to get back down to the ground. Perhaps now is a good time to use a breaker.

These days people are used to seeing content laid out in front of them in an explicit sense. A list of side quests, collectibles, a map to clear, etc. In a character action game, the content Is implicit - you have to find it for yourself by utilizing creativity within the gameplay. I am sure that if anyone practices at this they will find the game very enjoyable.

Also, there is nothing "objective" about your opinion on the level design/art.

As for my impressions, I only just finished the first fight with V but love it so far. I think the tone is a bit off compared to DMC3 and 4 but it still does a great job of making you feel like a badass, and it's already the most enjoyable gameplay I've seen since I dunno...Bloodborne?

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
why do people like this game? it is a cinematic single player linear story based game in a time full of open world games and GAAS battle royale FPSes. it doesn't try to be this big bloated modern thing, it's in the tradition of action games like the old Shinobi or Ninja Gaiden IMO.

the game is easy to play & has a great polished presentation. the Resident Evil engine is really a thing of beauty. this is stunning to look at in many parts. being a linear and non open world, they can put tons of attention towards the simple areas. the focus is on the combat and the cinematic presentation.

just beat Chapter 3 and had an awesome time with the coolest fight so far, the scissors ghost in the library. that was so cool:

tumblr_pdud2zdiWt1w1qchqo4_500.gif

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
How does Nero's charge sword stuff work exactly? About to start the game finally, and that didn't make much sense to me in the demo.

Belmonte

Damn, my body is literally not ready for DMCV.

Got a major cold and don't want to experience DMCV for the first time in this state. : -/

Mission 19. WOW, man. Just WOW. This is epic after epic. I love how the game pays homage to DMC 1 and DMC 3 in so many aspects and adds up an interesting twist to them. The animations are insane it makes some of the battles, like the one where I am now, top of the genre. The difficulty ramps up in the last quarter and this particular boss has so many tricks that even if I am not getting past half his life bar I am enjoying the experience of being destroyed soooo much.

Helios

How does Nero's charge sword stuff work exactly? About to start the game finally, and that didn't make much sense to me in the demo.
You can either rev it up manually by pressing the button a few times which is slow and mostly used out of combat or you can instantly rev it up if you hit the button at specific moments during the swing. Usually this moment is when your swing hits the enemy. Max-act fills all three bars but your timing must be even better.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
You can either rev it up manually by pressing the button a few times which is slow and mostly used out of combat or you can instantly rev it up if you hit the button at specific moments during the swing. Usually this moment is when your swing hits the enemy. Max-act fills all three bars but your timing must be even better.

Nero's style ranking goes up fast when you utilize the charge attacks.

I finished DH and now onto SOS. I really liked it, definitely needs a replay. I got use to V. Holding down a button for lightning, consistently pushing another for physical damage, all while reading/summoning a level 3. It got easier the more I used him. It did get frustrating at times. I had to find something that worked.

I didn't actually mind the level design. It's better than some of those catapult sections in DMC4 and some of the backtracking. I played with the bonus costumes I unlocked with the Deluxe Edition. It made it feel interesting.

I have to wonder if Capcom will do an SE or add DLC. Either way I had a great time. I don't think the old school style gets old when there aren't that many games like this out today.

Last edited:

Shifty

Yeah I just saw a picture. Good to know.
Seems like my assumption was wrong- I just got that cutscene with the option disabled and the butt was still obscured. Welp.

Mission 19. WOW, man. Just WOW. This is epic after epic. I love how the game pays homage to DMC 1 and DMC 3 in so many aspects and adds up an interesting twist to them. The animations are insane it makes some of the battles, like the one where I am now, top of the genre. The difficulty ramps up in the last quarter and this particular boss has so many tricks that even if I am not getting past half his life bar I am enjoying the experience of being destroyed soooo much.
That fight was fantastic, but just wait until you see mission 20 :messenger_grinning:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Yeah this game is sick. Enjoying it a lot more than the demo. The gradual ramp up in mission 1 helped me understand the combat better so far.

Is there a way for Nero to charge up his gun and then not shoot so you save all 3 shots?

Last edited:

Shifty

Is there a way for Nero to charge up his gun and then not shoot so you save all 3 shots?
Yep, you can use Rainbow (the running dropkick taunt) or Air Taunt and release the gun button during the animation. For whatever reason they're some of the few moves that can actually cancel the shot.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Yep, you can use Rainbow (the running dropkick taunt) or Air Taunt and release the gun button during the animation. For whatever reason they're some of the few moves that can actually cancel the shot.
Nice. I noticed you can let go during an an arm blast and it works too.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Phew, finished on DH. Great set of final battles, and seems like a replay will be fun on SoS with the new unlocks and the rest of the abilities to acquire.

V's not that interesting to play after a while, but Dante brings it. Nero's good but I would've preferred a different system for the arms that allowed real-time swapping. Some of the arms I barely got quality time with. Not a deal-breaker though.

Big thumbs up on this one.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I'm just blown away by this RE Engine. I heard some people say the environments were bland, but I can't get enough of it. Basic hallways, libraries, brick buildings, concrete sewers, it all looks so damn good. I'm a huge fan of this style.

Shifty

Anyone else getting motion sickness from this game? Im on PC.
I don't get sick from it, but the field of view (not the same as camera distance) is noticeably low to the point where it can sometimes feel disorienting while exploring.

Changing it in the config file doesn't appear to do anything, so hopefully there'll be a mod to fix it soon.

Last edited:

Meccs

While I enjoy the game the combat hasn't clicked with me yet. I played Nero and V so far. I am ok with a combo system like hit A, A, X, Y, Y for a special move etc but I can not get used to using the same button, just with pauses like you have to do it in DMC 5. Y, Y pause Y, Y etc... that just feels clunky to me. In addition you have to let go of the lock on button for some moves even though you want to hit the same enemy. Makes not much sense to me. And with V I have the problem that when you have multiple downed enemies he zooms to the first one with RB+B but then if you select the next one he doesn't for some reason. This never worked multiple times for me, the second time I always have to run to the enemy.

I played the shit out of DMC 3 and 4 and can not remember having those issues there. Maybe I am just getting old.

Last edited:

Helios

And with V I have the problem that when you have multiple downed enemies he zooms to the first one with RB+B but then if you select the next one he doesn't for some reason.
I think you can press B immediately after finishing an enemy to jump to the next downed target. Otherwise you can only dash once before having to touch the ground.

Helios

So there's this thing that got introduced to Nero's DT called Bringer Knuckles. If you press the Devil Bringer button after any action you do a quick ORA ORA. This works for almost everything. Swings, shooting, taunts, rolls and even Break Age. The downside is that if you fail the timing your character will do a buster instead. The damage is pretty insignificant but I can see people mastering this (and the rev, which are two completely different timings) and doing some absolutely crazy stuff.
It looks something like this

You can even do stuff like this

Last edited:

lifa-cobex

So there's this thing that got introduced to Nero's DT called Bringer Knuckles. If you press the Devil Bringer button after any action you do a quick ORA ORA. This works for almost everything. Swings, shooting, taunts, rolls and even Break Age. The downside is that if you fail the timing your character will do a buster instead. The damage is pretty insignificant but I can see people mastering this (and the rev, which are two completely different timings) and doing some absolutely crazy stuff.
It looks something like this

You can even do stuff like this

Ka-Kui

Just finished the game on devil hunter difficulty. So I'll just share my intial impressions.

While enjoyable the game is far from being the best in the series.

The level design was horrible, too much running around and very little exploration and everything started looking the same after a while.

Enemy design had very little significant variety and in terms of gameplay made very little difference - just mash attack until they die. This was the same even for the bosses. I'd like to think the previous games at least made you think on how to approach crowds of enemies. The bosses were simply unmemorable.

It's a shame about the level design and enemy/boss design, however the combat design itself is a hell of a lot of fun. Dante actually feels more polished compared to his DMC4 version but overall I still had more fun playing DMC3.

I'm going to play the harder difficulties now, but this is probably the easiest "Normal" mode of the entire series apart from DMC2.

As for the story... I hated it. It was a slog to go through until almost more than halfway through the game. It got interesting for a bit until the climax just turned into a joke, as a long time hater of DMC4's story this game just made me appreciate that more.

I'm going to carry on playing until I complete DMD but so far this is how I'll rank the series:

DMC3=DMC1 > DmC > DMC4 > DMC5 >DMC2

Top Bottom