• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 5 |OT| Gimme Dat Vergil

I was enjoying combat and getting the hang of it with Nero. But then... V came and ruined everything.

Edit: I take back what i said. V is not bad.

Last edited:

KAOS

Loving the game!

xiIQRxo.jpg

jjuZ4iW.jpg

GczOU91.jpg

SweetShark

Ok, I finished yesterday DMC5 and I have some questions for a specific person...

I played nearly all DMC games and still don't understand why Vergil want to become so strong. One thought is to exterminate the majority of the Demon World. But in this game we see literally Vergil becoming a pure Demon motherfucker without any knowledge of his previous self and bringing the Demons AGAIN to the Human world....
Is he so damn stupid or I am missing something?

Ok, I finished yesterday DMC5 and I have some questions for a specific person...

I played nearly all DMC games and still don't understand why Vergil want to become so strong. One thought is to exterminate the majority of the Demon World. But in this game we see literally Vergil becoming a pure Demon motherfucker without any knowledge of his previous self and bringing the Demons AGAIN to the Human world....
Is he so damn stupid or I am missing something?
Basically when him and Dante were kids, there mother was killed and the kids were seperated; whislt Dante took it as "Go into hiding and the demons won't get you", Vergil took it as "Become so strong so that something like this doesn't happen again". This was also marked by, in DMC3 he tried his best to act without compassion and just acted like a demon by being merciless, which was taken further in 5 with him literally becoming a demon

Last edited:

SweetShark

Basically when him and Dante were kids, there mother was killed and the kids were seperated; whislt Dante took it as "Go into hiding and the demons won't get you", Vergil took it as "Become so strong so that something like this doesn't happen again". This was also marked by, in DMC3 he tried his best to act without compassion and just acted like a demon by being merciless, which was taken further in 5 with him literally becoming a demon

So I wasn't wrong...
Jesus, this make the story so stupid.

Shifty

Just finished the Dante vs Vergil fight on Son of Sparda with no continues. Whoof. Heart's beatin', hands are shakin', this fight is fantastic. They really did him justice with it, feels like the single player fighting game that it should.

Also his entire 4SE Yamato moveset is there and then some. Playable Vergil when? :messenger_smiling_hearts:

Enjoying the game immensely. Anyone else finding it amazingly easy to get SSS rank using V, or is it just me?
I started using the EX modes for Shadow and Griffon more recently, and coupled with standing still while reading the book for maximum DT gain it gets kind of ridiculous just how quickly they can rack up an SSS rank on their own.

I mean, who plays the games for the story?
Raises hand

I can suspend my disbelief when it comes to the melodramatic anime craziness that is the DMC story.

Last edited:
So i just realized anyone playing with the tutorial off is kind of fucked during one particular boss fight.

You are told a crucial mechanic that isn't obvious without an explanation.

SweetShark

I mean, who plays the games for the story?

Me.
I hear the same thing when people say who play fighting games for the story.
Just because the main focus is the gameplay doesn't mean the story can be dumb.
A perfect example Skullgirls. Perfect gameplay, story which have soul and heart.

No offence.

Dacon

Banned
So I wasn't wrong...
Jesus, this make the story so stupid.

I don't see how it makes it stupid. Character's ambition is the cause of its catastrophic downfall.

The worst part of this game is Nico. Everything about this character is annoying, the obnoxious accent, her body language and mannerisms, and her stupid bugs bunny teeth. I hate that shes integrated so deeply in the game.

Last edited:

cr0w

Old Member
Have all of DMC's environments been this bland or did I simply not notice in previous games? Feels like they're all just empty corridors leading to open arenas over and over.

Shifty

The worst part of this game is Nico. Everything about this character is annoying, the obnoxious accent, her body language and mannerisms, and her stupid bugs bunny teeth. I hate that shes integrated so deeply in the game.
This is the stance I thought I'd have when I first saw her in the trailer, but I ended up finding her to be both genuine and hilarious in the end.

Curious that she's so polarizing like that.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Just finished on Hunter mode. Will do a quick playthrough on Human and then head into Sons of Sparda.

Even now I can already confidently say that this is the best action videogame. A worthy successor to DMC3 while also incorporating all the cool shit from DMC4. Just a fantastic job by the devs. And the throwbacks to the older titles...man.

Last edited:

Shifty

Have all of DMC's environments been this bland or did I simply not notice in previous games? Feels like they're all just empty corridors leading to open arenas over and over.
1 and 3 had more intricate level layouts and the RE-style lite puzzle elements to contextualize backtracking. 4 still did some of that but reused the crap out of everything for Dante's section and made itself feel thinly-spread.

Though to give 5 its due, there's a whole bunch of neat hidden areas squirreled away around the edges with blue/purple orbs, secret missions and a few other things.

There's a whole skatepark for the Punch Line hidden behind the first goddess of time statue. It's rad.

Impartially I'd say the level design tier list is probably 1 > 3 > 5 > DmC > 4, but I was never a fan of 3's Temen-Ni-Gru after 1's Mallet Island so 5 takes second place for me.

Will do a quick playthrough on Human
That's going to be a snoozefest now you've warmed up :messenger_winking:

Even now I can already confidently say that this is the best action videogame. A worthy successor to DMC3 while also incorporating all the cool shit from DMC4. Just a fantastic job by the devs. And the throwbacks to the older titles...man.
I love what they did with Dante this time around. Everything feels viable, like a true successor to Dante from 3 rather than the esoteric swiss army knife of specific problem-solving tools he ended up being in 4.

Like, Lucifer and Pandora were cool, but weird and different enough that accidentally switching to them instead of one of the more traditional weapons was a great way to screw up an otherwise stylish combo.

I'm also thankful Dark Slayer style is gone. I can't count the amount of times the toggle input for that messed me up because I was already on the style I wanted, and it didn't really do enough to justify that inconvenience imo.

And that's to say nothing of the stuff we can't talk about without spoiler tags yet :messenger_grinning:

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Beat the game twice now and working toward S ranking every mode for the platinum. Easily my favorite DMC game from its art design, story, and core gameplay. I am having so much fun kickin' demon ass.

slade

Beat Devil Hunter tonight. Played damn near all of Dante's part and the end of the game in one sitting. Last few fights were epic. This was an awesome send off for Devil May Cry if Capcom chooses to end it here.

Can't wait to get back to NG+ on SoS difficulty.

DarkBatman

Beat the game twice now and working toward S ranking every mode for the platinum. Easily my favorite DMC game from its art design, story, and core gameplay. I am having so much fun kickin' demon ass.

Please keep posting updates about your progress. I read this is one of the hardest platinum trophies ever due to "Hell and Hell" mode being pretty unforgiving (one hit = death) and getting S ranks there is very, very, very hard.

Last edited:

Meccs

I like V as a character and that he is so totally different but I don't really like playing him. I wish I could just pick one character and play through the whole story and then pick the next one and do it again etc. :messenger_confused:

w92kp

Neo Member
Just felt like dropping some scattered thoughts.

I finished the game on Devil Hunter a day ago and I'm now on Sons of Sparda. Unfortunately, I was not all that impressed by DMC 5 as a complete package.

The story was needlessly complicated by jumping around the timeline and was poorly paced. It didn't feel like Nero did anything to earn that DT, and when I got to the end I wasn't even sure what the characters even accomplished. The dialogue felt odd/unnatural at times, and it was especially noticeable with Nico in the beginning and I can't tell if it was intentional or not. "He likes to kill demon things.... That's why I built him that well-functioning arm." Who talks like this?

I still feel like DMC 3 is the only game in the main series to tell a decent story. There weren't many characters, but they all played their part well. I understand DMC 5 was meant to be a bit fanservicey since the last entry in the series was released over a decade ago, but characters like Trish and Lady had no real place in the game's plot.

The music seems mostly forgettable this time around. Maybe it's just not to my taste. Devil Trigger is fine, but I didn't like the remix used for the final boss.

As expected, the combat mechanics carry this game. It uses DMC 4 as a base, and builds upon it. I like how you can parry pretty much anything in this game now with your own attack. Jump cancels seem pretty easy to do now, which I don't see as a bad thing.

Nero unexpectedly has all of his old abilities intact once he gets his DT. You can even use the devil bringer to snatch your enemies, though I'm not sure if it's functionally different to the wire snatch. It did make me realize just how unreasonable the default control scheme is for this character though, as there are now 4 buttons that a player could potentially hold all at the same time (Charging your gun/That one sword move that requires you to hold the button/Holding on to an enemy with the Devil Bringer/Charging a Devil Breaker), in addition to the lock-on button. I was able to work around this with a PS4 controller with paddles and Steam Input's ability to turn a button into a toggle. I'm still not really liking the breakers that much overall, as there are only a few that I actually enjoy using(Overture/Punchline/Buster, but this one's sort of redundant in post-game).

Dante is as flexible as ever, but I wonder if the devs could have streamlined the control scheme somehow. It just feels like too much busy work when you have to tap the d-pad an insane number of times to do basic things like dash towards an enemy then use a swordmaster move. As with Nero, I was able to come up with my on streamlining solution so I could, for example, hold a button to activate Royal Guard, then release it to go back to Trickster. Speaking of Royal Guard, I love how a just release feels now. Solid feedback on a counter attack like that is extremely satisfying and it was the reason I loved playing Mystic Knight in Dragon's Dogma.

I don't have much to say about V, as I've realized that I don't enjoy playing him very much due to the indirect nature of his attacks. Switching to him after the early Nero missions killed my momentum on the second playthrough.

I've also experienced a number of crashes on the PC version of the game, which was unexpected coming from RE7, MHW and RE2. Then there's also that bug that locks up gamepad input if you touch the keyboard or mouse.

At this point, I may just drop this game until the bloody palace is released so I can just enjoy Nero/Dante without the time wasting level traversal and V.

Finished the game. Some opinions.

Good
- Vergil, his dialogues and constant smugface
- Design of Lady. It is superb.
- Final arena design and final battle (reminds me of battle with Credo from DMC4)
- More mechanics for Nero
- Felt like DMC3 remake though plot-like
Bad
- Lack of interesting locations
- Nobody follows date and time anyway
- Final battle with Urizen (when he ate the fruit). Felt like something straight from DMC2
Weird
- Mentioning dates and time. I doubt anybody followed it

Last edited:

Helios

The music seems mostly forgettable this time around. Maybe it's just not to my taste. Devil Trigger is fine, but I didn't like the remix used for the final boss.
The Nico's Van music is a straight up banger. Also V's semi boss-rush and some of the boss fight themes are really good.
- Mentioning dates and time. I doubt anybody followed it
If it was just the time and date I wouldn't have follow either, but the fact that they were placed in a timeline before and after every mission's load screen made it easy to follow.

Last edited:
If it was just the time and date I wouldn't have follow either, but the fact that they were placed in a timeline before and after every mission's load screen made it easy to follow.
I don't think so. The thing is that in the game following the timeline serves no purpose. You can get rid of it, set the events in proper order and it would change nothing

Last edited:
I agree with the dates/times being pointless but the story is great and the main cast feel like real persons with actual emotions and motivations. People like good stories in any game and compelling characters. That's why the third game was so successful. Great gameplay doesn't make a game unforgettable. Great characters do. To me this game is on par with 3 at the top of the saga.

Sub_Level

For Nero my optimal controls are

Gun: R2
Devil Breaker: L1
NG+ Thing: Circle

Feels good man.

DarkBatman

I agree with the dates/times being pointless but the story is great and the main cast feel like real persons with actual emotions and motivations. People like good stories in any game and compelling characters. That's why the third game was so successful. Great gameplay doesn't make a game unforgettable. Great characters do. To me this game is on par with 3 at the top of the saga.

I totally agree.

I loved the several throwbacks to older releases, answers to questions from the franchises past and a great ending.

The only thing I really disliked was the level design. But to be honest, DMC3 & 4 were pretty disappointing in that area as well.

I totally agree.

I loved the several throwbacks to older releases, answers to questions from the franchises past and a great ending.

The only thing I really disliked was the level design. But to be honest, DMC3 & 4 were pretty disappointing in that area as well.
DMC4 was better regarding level design (but damn that backtracking). At least it was not that grey / dark / dark + red palette all the time.

Last edited:
I totally agree.

Absolutely. This. You can tell the guys who made this game truly LOVE the franchise. The reboot pissed off lot of people because it made very unfortunate jokes that someone could take as mocking the DMC legacy but this ones does the opposite. It's a great wrap-up to some events from previous games and even I got to like Nero, something that I would have never imagined before starting the game.

Graciaus

Game needs a mod so you can just pick Dante every level. Going through SOS and just waiting for the good levels. Not saying the others are bad but he is functionally the best.

IKSTUGA

Yeah after beating this game three times and collecting every collectible (currently in the process of playing through Dante must Die, which is effin' intense!) I can say that this is not only the best DMC, but might be in my top 5 games of all time. I simply love everything about this game. All characters have unique playstyles that are fun to master (still struggling a bit with V), the music is great and graphics are just insane. I have literally no complaints. This is exactly how imagined the perfect DMC-style game would feel like.

The visual presentation and character variety make this game better than 3 in my mind (previously I thought DMC3 was the quintessential action game). 4 is mechanically sound, but the repetition seriously makes it feel so much worse that 3 or V. The last bosses in 4 are also pretty stupid (the giant goliath thing and the old man inside a bubble). 1 has aged quite a bit, but it's still fun. 2 is crappy but fun. I also enjoy DmC quite a bit for its visuals and level design.

TLDR; 5 > 3 >> 4 = DmC > 1 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 2

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
Short question about Dante’s swords:

Is Rebellion really weaker than Devil Sword Dante, as in less damage, or does it just have less awesome skills?

Shifty

Is Rebellion really weaker than Devil Sword Dante, as in less damage, or does it just have less awesome skills?
It'd need testing in The Void to get some hard damage numbers, but my gut feeling is that Rebellion is the same as Sparda outside of its shorter range. I'd expect damage numbers to be the same across all 3.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

I know bloody palace is comin next month but do yall think we'll get some trish and lady action down the pipeline? I hope so.

TacosNSalsa

OMG ..that
Cavaliers Angelo
fight ..that's one of those fights that the music just makes me want to do everything absolutely perfectly .

Sub_Level

OMG ..that
Cavaliers Angelo
fight ..that's one of those fights that the music just makes me want to do everything absolutely perfectly .

Royal Guard is amazing in that fight. The timing is not hard and you feel like a stylish badass.

Shifty

I love how you can hold the Royalguard button on the ground to assume a defensive stance and keep moving. Looks cool as hell.
And you can reflect one of Vergil's summoned swords if you hit it with the very tip of a Royal Release. You get a slow-mo holy shit moment before it impales him and opens up a combo opportunity.

I heard someone did some datamining and that there was another playable character in there.
I've seen screenies of that datamine, and without getting spoilery let's just say it could go either way.
The Vergil player object could very well be referring to mission 19/20 Vergil rather than an actual playable character. Since he's a humanoid with a moveset like Dante, Nero or V it wouldn't be unheard of to implement a boss using the same framework, since all the tech to make it work is already there.

That's how the DMC3 style switcher mod was able to make Lady and 'Bob' (a.k.a. the simplified Battle of Brothers Vergil from the Arkham fight) playable.

Last edited:

Graciaus

So what's the secret to fighting that enemy that zooms super fast around leaving after images? I loose most of my life and haven't noticed a pattern yet.

Shifty

So what's the secret to fighting that enemy that zooms super fast around leaving after images? I loose most of my life and haven't noticed a pattern yet.
Some of his attacks have a readable tell that you can use to land a parry, like the cross slash where he floats in the air for a moment before teleporting in for an attack.

As for getting that parry, Dante can use Prop/Shredder, Revolver, Million Stab, anything with lots of quick hits.
Nero has a harder time with his core moveset, but some of the breakers are good for this like Helter Skelter and Rawhide.

Top Bottom