• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 5 Review Thread

Helios

devil-may-cry-5-dante-new-look-header.jpg.optimal.jpg
The Devil you know returns in this brand new entry in the over-the-top action series. Prepare to get downright demonic with this signature blend of high-octane stylized action and otherworldly & original characters the series is known for. Director Hideaki Itsuno and the core team have returned to create the most insane, technically advanced and utterly unmissable action experience of this generation!
  • Developer: CAPCOM Co., Ltd.
  • Genre(s): Action
  • Platforms: PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PC
Review Aggregators
Metascore : 91
OpenCritic : 88
mighty-man.png

Reviews
PCGamer: 90/100
PCGamer said:
Three great characters and a beautiful, fluid combat system make this a must-buy for hack-and-slash fans.
IGN: 9.5/10
IGN said:
Devil May Cry 5's trio of outstanding combat styles set a new high bar for the series, and its mysterious story keeps things interesting along the way.
GameSpot: 9.0/10
GameSpot said:
DMC5 proves the series can still be brilliant and imaginative without compromising its longest-held traditions.
Game Informer: 8.5/10
Game Informer said:
Chaining together impressive combos is as fun as ever, though hopping among three characters makes it hard to hone your expertise
Destructoid: 10/10
Destructoid said:
I'm going to be playing Devil May Cry 5 weeks from now in the short term and years from now long term. This is the sort of fine-tuned wacky action game the genre deserves.
Eurogamer: Recommended
Eurogamer said:
Capcom returns to its trusted formula for something that plays like a outrageously pretty PS2 game - and that's a very good thing.
Rock Paper Shotgun: Unscored
Rock Paper Shotgun said:
There is a demon, and I’m going to kill it. With style. I’ll shoot and slash and somersault, chaining together increasingly outlandish combos while listening to electro-metal where I only catch the odd word like ‘sword’ or ‘death’.
The Guardian: 5 Stars
The Guardian said:
High-octane challenges in this irresistible romp have resurrected an action series that's been dormant for over a decade
The Escapist: 9/10
The Escapist said:
Devil May Cry 5 is 99 percent about doing things that are totally sweet and looking totally sweet while doing them. There's no thematic depth waiting beneath its bombastic, blood-drenched glamour and its vulcanizing, improvisational violence choreography
Dual Shockers: 9/10
Dual Shockers said:
11 years after we last saw Dante, Nero & Co., Devil May Cry 5 shows that the series is in fine form with one of its best installments yet.
PCGamesN: 8/10
PCGamesN said:
Few games are as endearing in their madness as Devil May Cry 5. It's deeply old-school and made for fans first, but its new character will entertain newcomers and keep them coming back for more.Jacob Ridley
NicheGamer: 9.5/10
NicheGamer said:
I really couldn’t be happier with how this game turned out, and I’m a thousand times excited for where Capcom might take the franchise next.
Videos

ACG: Buy

Easy Allies: 9.0/10

lOsd0St.png

DMC V is gonna be absolutely amazing! Those reviews should remove any doubt about the quality of the game but I won't expect 'perfection', ofcourse. I'll just expect to be playing an exceptional game from Capcom :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
Capcom gets hated on a lot because people love to hate on things, especially video game publishers and developers.

But, I don't care, Capcom is still awesome and puts out many of the best games. What's better is their games are distinct from each other and don't follow the company cookie cutter formula you see from other major publishers (ahem Ubisoft).

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Those numbers are surprising to me. Not that I doubt the game will be great, but DmC seems like a 8/10 franchise on the best of days to me.

Shifty

Those numbers are surprising to me. Not that I doubt the game will be great, but DmC seems like a 8/10 franchise on the best of days to me.
I mean according to the metascore for past titles in the series, it is:
https://www.metacritic.com/search/all/devil may cry/results

But by the same token, you'll always get venn diagrams of people that like a thing more or less than the mainline critics do. A game doesn't need to be a critical darling to be mechanically competent and fun to play, right?

Last edited:

Fbh

Dammit why did this and Sekiro have to come out so close together.

Anyway, sounds great. I'll be getting it at some point after Sekiro for sure

Belmonte

Those numbers are surprising to me too. Not because I think the game is bad, I wouldn't be surprised if it is the best brawler/beat em up/character whatever ever but the journalists, in general, don't value gameplay focused games much. Specially if it is japanese and isn't Nintendo.

So many mediocre to good scores for brilliant games.

Shifty

Those numbers are surprising to me too. Not because I think the game is bad, I wouldn't be surprised if it is the best brawler/beat em up/character whatever ever but the journalists, in general, don't value gameplay focused games much. Specially if it is japanese and isn't Nintendo.

So many mediocre to good scores for brilliant games.
God Hand - 3/10, IGN

Never forget.

Fbh

They're like 2 weeks apart, good enough for me.

I'm out of an income right now (I'm in the process of starting my own Business) so I've cut back on all unnecessary expenses. In my current state I'm willing to make an exception and buy one game I really want to support at launch and between Sekiro and DMC I just have to go with Sekiro

Dacon

Banned
MGS4 deserved a 7 out of 10 at best imo. The story in that game was such a disappointing mess, but the gameplay was really good.

iconmaster

Banned
I don't understand what I'm looking at.

It's fantasy football, but for video games. You draft a team and get points for games that score above 70 on OpenCritic. If below that, you lose points.

AV is Shameless Cash Grab and I'm Newbiesoft Entertainment. Mine is the only team with no points on the board, but I'm gonna stage a comeback.

MGS4 deserved a 7 out of 10 at best imo. The story in that game was such a disappointing mess, but the gameplay was really good.

I replayed the game last year during its 10th anniversary and I honestly was surprised how emotionally driven the story was. Yes, the nanomachines aspect was weird but the story have a wonderful message behind it all. I wish I was a member on NeoGAF during that time; I would've made a killer LTTP with all my thoughts about it.

Shifty

I replayed the game last year during its 10th anniversary and I honestly was surprised how emotionally driven the story was. Yes, the nanomachines aspect was weird but the story have a wonderful message behind it all. I wish I was a member on NeoGAF during that time; I would've made a killer LTTP with all my thoughts about it.
You could always do a RTTP at some point if you still have that essay in there somewhere!

It's fantasy football, but for video games. You draft a team and get points for games that score above 70 on OpenCritic. If below that, you lose points.

AV is Shameless Cash Grab and I'm Newbiesoft Entertainment. Mine is the only team with no points on the board, but I'm gonna stage a comeback.
Ohh I see, like a sports-y version of video game critic punditry. Neat.

Good luck with the season :messenger_winking:

Last edited:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Knew this would review well, I’m glad it turned out so good.

Question is, are my old-man reflexes still good enough to hang in a super technical game like this? Guess we’ll have to see. If you’re over 35 and playing this, you might be fucked.

Shifty

Just noticed a minor ranged weapon spoiler in that IGN review.

He gets two rocket launchers.

TWO FUCKING ROCKET LAUNCHERS

AAAAAAA

Last edited:
Surprising. Never had plans to pick it up at launch (and still don't), but I'm relieved that whenever I do pick it up, that I'll be in for a good time.
Glad it isn't another DMC4, at any rate.

KINDERFELD

Banned
Wow, near every review posted seems to have been done by admitted fanboys of the series.

I'm not saying the game isn't good, I'm just saying those are anything but meaningful reviews.

Shifty

Wow, near every review posted seems to have been done by admitted fanboys of the series.

I'm not saying the game isn't good, I'm just saying those are anything but meaningful reviews.
You sure you're not conflating 'fanboy' with the rather more innocuous 'fan'?

The former being defined by a refusal to see the flaws in the thing they like and militant attitude toward defending it at any cost using whatever nonsense logic comes to hand.

mekes

I haven't checked for this game since the announcement despite playing and owning every previous DMC game. The scores are higher than I had anticipated! Good job capcom (y)

Some of the big boys have indicated they think it's not evolved, or that it's too stale so I'm expecting that MC score to drop unfortunately.

But hopefully it still ends up around 88 or so and that drop is saved by other outlets.

Knew this would review well, I’m glad it turned out so good.

Question is, are my old-man reflexes still good enough to hang in a super technical game like this? Guess we’ll have to see. If you’re over 35 and playing this, you might be fucked.

It would be great if you'd shared your thought about DMC V at your age and how it compared to previous entries when you were younger!

ZiriusOne

I'm butthurt that Lady and Trish are not playable. Hopefully they will become playable in the future.
SVu4qyi.jpg

Still going to buy it later this month though.

Kagero

I was secretly praying this game would suck so I can save money. Looks like that ain’t happening :(

Top Bottom